PDA

View Full Version : The only true one?

clemheth
04-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Having been really pretty disappointed with most of the album, I like this song more and more. It seems the only track that really does Tool justice (with the possibly exception of Jambi).
And Vicarious is the only track on toolband, which hasn't mentioned anything about the leak.

vasooner
04-21-2006, 06:17 PM
...and it flows right into Jambi, making the theory that the album is a hoax but Vicarious isn't rather ridiculous, IMO.

resonance.
04-21-2006, 06:29 PM
I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest this isn't the real record. In fact, I feel embarassed cause I believed it was. One thing I know for certain, we are getting "something else" on May 2nd.

lysergide dreams
04-21-2006, 06:30 PM
people need to stop with this theory, it's utterly absurd.

i don't exactly remember kabir's review, but i believe it was consistent with what i heard on the album, and that came out before the leak. are you telling me that kabir is in on this too and he wrote that just to make the joke all the more elaborate?

and secondly, i think the song 10,000 days speaks for itself on the album's authenticity. if you're disappointed, then so be it. there is not a different album coming out on may 2nd.

lysergide dreams
04-21-2006, 06:31 PM
I think there's plenty of evidence to suggest this isn't the real record. In fact, I feel embarassed cause I believed it was. One thing I know for certain, we are getting "something else" on May 2nd.

what evidence? please, enlighten me.

chickenweasel
04-21-2006, 06:35 PM
ha, funny, because Vicarious is the one song I don't really care for that much on the record.

right_in_three
04-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Vicarious is like the one song that reminds me of Lateralus all the way through. It could have even been on that album and it would seem at home.

But it belongs here.

resonance.
04-21-2006, 07:16 PM
what evidence? please, enlighten me.

There is obviously excellent material on the cd. It's just not right though, something fishy is going on. Why is there all this conspiracy in the first place? It's because you've been taught to trust your instincts. These same types of conversations happen all the time. All the conspiracy theories going on...

Something people may not have thought of:

If this is the album, and it did leak... why would Kabir let us know about it?

That's like saying "Hey, it's availble now... you could get it, ya know.. if you wanted to."

That and it took 5 years. This isn't all that refined. You've got to consider they have the tape machine running whenever they are jamming, so it's believeable they'd put something like this together to throw us off, especially considering what happened initially with Salival getting leaked, and how they counteracted with Lateralus. These people play April Fool's jokes. Has anyone made, or have had insentive to make, a decoy album? Out of things remaining to be done with music... I'm just sayin. Obsessive fans look for leaked material. Five year waits between records make fans look for leaked material.

Things consistent through-out Tool's career:

1) Think for yourself
2) The Climax, or "Money-Shot" at the end.
3) Maynard
4) Danny
5) Not Peter Frampton
7) Pranks

I like the album though... but I like a lot of things. Tool makes records that blow people away. They set the precedent. They've always believed in representing a higher ideal, and I'm sorry but a lot of the music on this cd just doesn't sound right. This is not the same as Lateralus sounding different from Aenima. This is unrefined... and it certainly doesn't sound like they are trying to push themselves as musicians.

Another thing, Vicarious, the only confirmed song, sounds like it damn well should.

If I were to rationalize this as a decoy album, and if I were to rationalize the band actually creating a decoy album, I would call it a birthday present for Maynard/belated April Fool's joke.

From what he's told us, he comes up with the song titles, and the band picks the one they think suits the record best. I can't understand why the _theme_ of the record would be so intensely personal to Maynard.

Another thing, the sound of the album directly contradicts how they've described it in interviews.

"The album is a lot harder... we're angry again... we've been listening to a lot of Musuggah" And I guess Adam got quoted saying "This is our best work to date." HA! I'm gonna listen to Pushit now.

Vicarious:

3. Acting or serving in place of someone or something else; substituted.

It would be really cool if this was a hoax album. They could have just recorded themselves playing the songs really poorly and threw it out there...

Here's the thing with all this... It's "conspiracy theory" right? These same kinds of conversations happen all the time relating to our government... because something just isn't right. It doesn't feel right, and you feel like you should trust your instincts. I don't know, I think the parallels between that and whats going on in the world are striking IF, of course, this isn't the real album. Oh hey, there's Pushit, then it's it's the end of Opiate.

Seriously though, it just sounds like they are holding back.... I mean it's good and all, but... My only _real_ problem with it, is that it took five years. If this was released a year after Lateralus I would have jumped up and down and shrieked like a schoolgirl.

abrack29
04-21-2006, 07:21 PM
It didn't take 5 years, Maynard was with APC, and Adam (or possibly Justin, I don't quite remember) said the band liked taking breaks, and I *believe* I heard they only really worked on the album about a year.

burning bridges
04-21-2006, 07:22 PM
I am quite delighted with the new album, it has already grown on me greatly like Lateralus and Aenima, but I certainly would not mind if this really is a hoax because then I would have twice the amount of material to listen to.

resonance.
04-21-2006, 07:25 PM
It didn't take 5 years, Maynard was with APC, and Adam (or possibly Justin, I don't quite remember) said the band liked taking breaks, and I *believe* I heard they only really worked on the album about a year.

it certainly sounds that way... you'd think they could afford proper _mastering_

tcM_Emperor
04-21-2006, 07:48 PM
Having been really pretty disappointed with most of the album, I like this song more and more. It seems the only track that really does Tool justice (with the possibly exception of Jambi).
And Vicarious is the only track on toolband, which hasn't mentioned anything about the leak.

Obviously toolband hasnt mentioned anything about the leak...why the hell would they? Also I love it how people who don't like the album insist that it's fake, listen to it more or go listen to aenima/lateralus.

resonance.
04-21-2006, 07:50 PM
Also I love it how people who don't like the album insist that it's fake, listen to it more or go listen to aenima/lateralus.

It's not that I don't like it, it's that I don't believe this is the real album.

tcM_Emperor
04-21-2006, 07:55 PM
It's not that I don't like it, it's that I don't believe this is the real album.

Any reasons? Or is it just because you BELIEVE that Maynard wouldn't write these kinds of songs?

resonance.
04-21-2006, 07:56 PM
Any reasons? Or is it just because you BELIEVE that Maynard wouldn't write these kinds of songs?

see the "Obviously Not..." thread for my offical take on it all

a big stupid dumbass
04-21-2006, 08:01 PM
Adam got quoted saying "This is our best work to date."

it certainly sounds that way... you'd think they could afford proper _mastering_

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Tool's guitar player on that. And I'm curious, what is proper mastering? Is there a rule book that I should try and find so that my music and the way it sounds will be "proper"?

resonance.
04-21-2006, 08:02 PM
Adam got quoted saying "This is our best work to date."

I'm going to go ahead and agree with Tool's guitar player on that. And I'm curious, what is proper mastering? Is there a rule book that I should try and find so that my music and the way it sounds will be "proper"?

uh... you could go to school for that if you wanted to... and if you think this is Tool's best work you are retarded.

liffey
04-21-2006, 08:07 PM
I think the fact that Adam said this is their best work to date proves it's fake.

aussiemart
04-21-2006, 08:23 PM
I agree if this is a fake its a keeper:-))

Can anyone enlighten me on how an entire album leaks onto the net from the bands hands?

clemheth
04-23-2006, 04:26 AM
I think the fact that Adam said this is their best work to date proves it's fake.

Agreed, its so paradoxical. Jst wish the confusion would end