PDA

View Full Version : an example of ignorance.

4degreeswarmer
11-22-2002, 07:39 PM
last year a friend and i thought it would be interesting to bring Die Eier Von Satan into our German class so our teacher could hear it. We figured he'd appreciate the humor, that everyone thinks it's Hitler preaching to the masses when it's *beyond* the complete opposite.

Instead of enjoying it like we thought, he climbed on a soapbox and began complaining about music these days and how evil it is. I asked him if he had not understood the lyrics and the irony of them... but he ignored me.

i don't understand this kind of ignorance... why people refuse to look under the surface, why everything is only skin deep.

Thimble in sea
11-24-2002, 12:45 AM
I think that's the whole point of the song. It's something as innocent as a recipe on cookies, but people mistake German for Nazi. Someone heard me listening to it at school one day and I was almost crucified (yes, for those of you literalists out there, I am exaggerating and I can't spell) for it.
It's kind of showing how intolerant people this day in age are, even though we consider ourselves to be open minded. That's the whole point, they want those who take everything at face value to be offended, they don't care if they offend people, that's half the fun of being in a band. (If not more of it)
I don't know...

4degreeswarmer
11-24-2002, 09:00 PM
...yeah that's exactly what i was talking about.

Misoanthropos
11-28-2002, 02:05 AM
i've say it a few times here and truly believe in it....

"things are rarely as they seem"

hateandvaseline
11-28-2002, 02:08 PM
It's basically the story with Stinkfist. They are both misconstrude to be something that they are not. People think Stinkfist is about anal fisting, and think that Die Eier Von Satan is about Nazis preaching communism- or whatever you want to call it.

++I would of told your teacher to pull his head out of his ass.

Torpid_Prey
11-29-2002, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by 4degreeswarmer
last year a friend and i thought it would be interesting to bring Die Eier Von Satan into our German class so our teacher could hear it. We figured he'd appreciate the humor, that everyone thinks it's Hitler preaching to the masses when it's *beyond* the complete opposite.

Instead of enjoying it like we thought, he climbed on a soapbox and began complaining about music these days and how evil it is. I asked him if he had not understood the lyrics and the irony of them... but he ignored me.

i don't understand this kind of ignorance... why people refuse to look under the surface, why everything is only skin deep.

damn i wish i had a german teacher - german is cool

eon_blue
11-29-2002, 10:21 AM
Nazis preach Nazism not Communism, which they completely opposed.

There is irony in the song. If one doesnt understand it then they would think that it represents Hitler spreading Nazism. Hitler was reknowned for being a great public speaker and with his charisma and power of presence he won over the German people. So simply hearing the song and not understanding it, i feel we get a glimpse of the power the Germans would have felt if we were at the Nuremberg rallies. The irony comes in when we find out the song is nothing but a recipe it, and this is what takes away all the strength and power.

hateandvaseline
11-30-2002, 09:39 AM
One of my friends thought it was Hitler. I think they thing that pulls people into believing it's Hitler is the crowd and their expressions. How the speaker says 'und keine Eier', and the crowd roars, getting people to believe that it's Hitler or whomever preaching his beliefs, or 'Nazism' as Eon_Blue mentioned.