PDA

View Full Version : Odd song placement

Narcasist
04-21-2006, 03:15 PM
This song seems really out of place on the record to be honest. Right after he laments his mother's death and praises her saintliness he starts out with a drug reference and a very loud and shocking intro to an anti-hypocrisy song. It seems kind of disrespectful to last two songs.

The song should be between the two filler songs IMO. And move one of the filler songs to after 10,000 days to let you calm down. Very, very out of place.

JuanWarez
04-21-2006, 03:34 PM
I think Wings for Marie and 10,000 Days are the two tracks that are placed oddly. Those two songs I get completely different feelings from all the rest of the tracks.

Malicet
04-21-2006, 03:54 PM
What would your ideal tracklisting be?

ProdigyDub
04-21-2006, 04:58 PM
The contrast from the end of 10k Days to the Pot is excellent. I really don't get why people don't like it.

Really great music is built on contrast. And that's what they're doing with this track ordering.

I think the ordering is fine personally.

Carbonatedgravy
04-21-2006, 09:14 PM
The contrast from the end of 10k Days to the Pot is excellent. I really don't get why people don't like it.

Really great music is built on contrast. And that's what they're doing with this track ordering.

I think the ordering is fine personally.

I understand and agree that it's intentional, and I understand the effectiveness of contrast. In this case however I have an aesthetic difference of taste with the way this album was put together. Now had The Pot come first, the sombering Wings for Marie would have been a follow-up to die for.

bogsnarth
04-21-2006, 10:47 PM
re: the original poster.. i don't think tool does "filler" songs.. the segues are significant in their own ways, it's just usually harder to see that because they have no lyrics to point you in the direction.. the titles are usually the big clues for those tracks..

and in this case, i think the songs "lipan conjuring" and "lost keys (blame hofmann)" *HAVE* to come in that order right before "rosetta stoned.." think about it.. the character in rosetta stoned, which is the same as the person flipping out in the hospital on "lost keys" talks about having some vision, or a visitation by some apparition, basically a mystical/spiritual/religious/whatever experience.. and "lipan conjuring" is a song for conjuring spirits..

perhaps i read too much into it, but it does cohere quite nicely, i think..

bogsnarth
04-21-2006, 10:50 PM
p.s.: i like the placement of "the pot".. if maynard's mom was as saintly as he seems to imply, i'm sure she could appreciate the humor of it..

i think it provides a much needed thorough rocking-out for the mid-way mark of the album.. after nearly 18 minutes of relatively quiet and slow-ish music, it's sort of energizing.