PDA

View Full Version : Point of View of the song

mike tyson
04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
I recall someone in some thread about this song saying that it seemed like it was as if Maynard was standing at her gravesite when writing the lyrics. I think it's a little different than that.

I don't know if she died suddenly or if she was in the hospital, but it seems that in Wings / 10,000 Days.. it doesn't seem that he's at the graveside, but moreso the funeral and at the hospital bed when she was near death.

For example, the whole "ignorant fibbers in the congregation" section.. that's clearly her funeral to me. He's pretty much saying that no one knew her like he did.. she was special to him.

And the whole "daylight dims, leaving cold fluorescence".. to me that's Maynard sitting at the side of her bed.. daylight dimming, the lights out.. and the cold fluorescent lights of the machines and monitors she's plugged into. Also, with the whole "if you meet your maker's face tonight".. it's clear he's at the bedside, the night of her death.

Also, as well.. from "Ohh, what are they going to do when the lights go down" to the "Give my my wings!" part.. that also seems like it's hospital bed, near death. Eerie stuff.

Just my thoughts...

Chrism70
05-19-2006, 08:33 PM
And the whole "daylight dims, leaving cold fluorescence".. to me that's Maynard sitting at the side of her bed.. daylight dimming, the lights out.. and the cold fluorescent lights of the machines and monitors she's plugged into. Also, with the whole "if you meet your maker's face tonight".. it's clear he's at the bedside, the night of her death.

When I heard the "cold fluorescence" and "Difficult to see you in this light", my interpretation was that she was now dead and maybe in the morgue (perhaps figuratively). This makes it difficult to "see" her because her spirit is gone and only her body remains, therefore she is not ALL there, making it difficult to "see" her as the living, vibrant person that she was. "Cold fluorescence" also reinforces to me the image of the blue-ish hue the light casts - and also the sickly color of a person who has died.