PDA

View Full Version : The new misanthropy. (from human potential to voluntary human extinction)

kidadavepushin
04-21-2006, 02:58 PM
lalalalalala...

Ready?
Here comes the LIE.....

"Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.
Pull your head on out your head piece and give a listen.
Shouldn't have to say it again.
The universe is hostile, so impersonal.
Devour to survive, so it is, so its always been."
-Vicarious, Tool

Could these lyrics contain the lie?

Well, consider the following:

"I really do have more faith in humanity than most people think I do. I get resentful and upset when people don't use their heads about stuff. It upsets me when people are selling themselves short and letting themselves down..."
-MJK

Speaking of faith in humanity, here is an article that will help you understand where I'm coming from. It's totaly worth checking out:

http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CB021.htm

Could it be that Maynard is 'playing the devil'?
He's done it before...
"I'll be the one to protect you from
a will to survive and a voice of reason"
Pet, APC

Now we must estabilish in our minds the source of this malignancy that Maynard has chosen to channel. In the prceding APC quote, we come to find that Maynard is singing to the 'rabble' from the perspective of the so-called elite. "Swaying to the rhythm of the New World Order..." Could this be the same message in a differnet package?

"Pull on out your head piece''

What kind of devil would tell me to think with my head peice (cock)?

"Should'nt have to say it again"

Pushy. This devil must have some vested interest in my acceptance of what it has to say...

(Give up. Your race is a viral infection that is killing this planet. Their is no point in fighting against your destiny. You will whither and fall like the dead weeds you are, human scum. You can never learn to live in harmony on this planet)

I will not go into details about the specific identity of this devil that Maynard channells so well (Azathoth, the blind one), nor how his minions have used his teachings to control human history. You would doubtlessly crucify me. Lets just say that the following sums them up quite well:

"We all feed on tragedy, its like blood to a vampire.
Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies.
Much better you than I."

Fortunately, not all is lost.

'Each and every man and woman is a star'

We have all been born into a program that has been used in various forms throughout the ages to confuse and pervert human potential. Call it the Matrix, Call it The Black Iron Prison, Call it BLACK AND WHITE. We all exist within it, and until something comes along to crack the illusion at hand, we must continue to play by it's apparent rules. For me, Tool was the door into places I never would have tread on my own (astrally, emotionaly, 'intelectually'). I hope more people will come to recognize the urgency of Tools message...' before we pine away '

Remember
'We are all one mind, capable of al thats imagined and unconcievable'

And:

THE UNIVERSE WANTS TO PLAY!

right_in_three
04-21-2006, 03:20 PM
I would win against the universe.

Ancalagon
04-21-2006, 03:43 PM
I think, contrary to the positive faith in humanity Maynard exhibited in Lateralus and even Aenima, Maynard is now beginning to realize the latent hostility of the universe. He is not playing the devil; he is simply stating what he knew all along. "Life feeds on life; this is necessary ..." "Devour to survive- so it is, so it's always been"-- a sad reality but a true one.

apparatus
04-21-2006, 10:45 PM
Not bad.. I think you may be right. You can never say for sure. I, for one, think that he might simply be trying this perspective on this particular song. A song lyric is not the whole world, there's space for experimentation. Maybe sometime's you're in the mood to see humanity as evil and selfish, even if you don't always feel like that.

On the other hand, "why can't we just admit it" is very insistant. And his "faith in humanity" might be in a sense similar to satanism. Then being selfish etc. is not "negative" in itself - it does not rhyme well with the "crucify the ego" thing on Lateralus, so I think my above explanation is more credible. It doesn't matter much, anyway. I will continue to hope for humanity regardless of what MJK sings.

Untamed
04-21-2006, 10:49 PM
Not bad.. I think you may be right. You can never say for sure. I, for one, think that he might simply be trying this perspective on this particular song. A song lyric is not the whole world, there's space for experimentation. Maybe sometime's you're in the mood to see humanity as evil and selfish, even if you don't always feel like that.

On the other hand, "why can't we just admit it" is very insistant. And his "faith in humanity" might be in a sense similar to satanism. Then being selfish etc. is not "negative" in itself - it does not rhyme well with the "crucify the ego" thing on Lateralus, so I think my above explanation is more credible. It doesn't matter much, anyway. I will continue to hope for humanity regardless of what MJK sings.

It's very simple.

Humanity is the devil.

...and so the story goes....In the end, the devil loses. Tossed in the fire, and purified.

...Now thats grace!

bigtard
04-21-2006, 11:25 PM
I would win against the universe.

I've kicked the universe's ass. Twice.

Neil
04-22-2006, 05:01 PM
I think Maynard accepts the ugly nature of humanity. Tool have always delved into these murky aspects of the psyche (46 & 2 for example).

By becoming aware of our neuroses we can overcome them.

macfreak
04-22-2006, 05:32 PM
I've kicked the universe's ass. Twice.
lol. i did that too

wags
04-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Despite anyone's criticism of Tool's lyrics, one thing they can be lauded for is their refusal to pass judgement. Read the lyrics carefully, and though they may sound judgemental, maynard is quick to say, "well, this may be wrong, but i'm guilty too." It's often hard to level criticism at the world [or country as we have found recently] without being attacked as a pessimist, a naysayer, a communist, a satanist, etc., etc., etc.

Props to Maynard for sticking to the high road.