PDA

View Full Version : Breathing & Heartbeat

troublefunk
04-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Here's a thought:

To me, this is a very cinematic song, and the instrumentation follows the imagery of the lyrics pretty closely. What jumps out is a part that shows up twice- once at around 4:50 in part I, and again at 9:50 in part II. The lyrics to this part are:

Daylight dims leaving cold fluorescence
Difficult to see you in this light
Please forgive this bold suggestion:
Should you see your Maker's face tonight
Look Him in the eye, look Him in the eye, and tell Him:
"I never lived a lie, never took a life, but surely saved one.
Hallelujah, its time for you to bring me home."

This is the hospital room scene, with the speaker addressing his mother on her deathbed. While the whole song is very direct and personal, this part sticks out because it relies on a certain setting- a certain place and time. The rest of the lyrics aren’t any less personal or insightful, the speaker reveals a lot in them. But this part is definitely the most dramatic and heart wrenching. I think the music supports this interpretation. Both times the band goes into it (from very different musical part in each case), there’s a cymbal flourish and a slide up on the guitar and bass- that’s the curtain rising on this intensely dramatic scene. Throughout this section, the music represents the speaker’s dying mother.

The ascending, hesitant guitar part is inhaling
The descending, slow bass part is exhaling
And the drum hit is a heart beat

That’s the only response the speaker gets from his mother, who is comatose at this point.

Any thoughts? (besides that I’m reading to much into it)

Ancalagon
04-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I am definitely one of the "you're reading too much into it" people, but I think you're spot on in your analysis here.

Carbonatedgravy
04-21-2006, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't necessarily see it that way entirely, but it's an interesting observation, and you could be right. In each song, the passage you are talking about sets an important mood shift, so I agree that they stand on their own and are different from the rest of the song. Just not sure about the breathing/heartbeat observation though.