PDA

View Full Version : death rattle

phylleb
04-21-2006, 12:00 PM
sing to the death rattle, that is what the funny sounding alarm sound is. the death rattle is...

neurosis79
04-21-2006, 12:47 PM
MAYNARD???

swash
04-21-2006, 01:18 PM
sing to the death rattle, that is what the funny sounding alarm sound is. the death rattle is...

Seems like you could also say the death rattle is a metaphor for destruction in general. A death rattle is a condition some people get before dying, so it's indicative of death/destruction in a metaphoric sense. Singing to the death rattle then becomes a kind of praise or love for death/destruction.

ID-entity
04-22-2006, 05:41 AM
I thought the la la la part was suppose to symbolize a death rattle in someway. Just throwing that out there...

Scratch
04-22-2006, 05:43 AM
or is it just a death... hairball?

kaiowas_is
04-22-2006, 05:47 AM
I thought the la la la part was suppose to symbolize a death rattle in someway. Just throwing that out there...

i thought the same thing

04-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Still have the transmitter
synched to the death rattle.

Volrath
04-22-2006, 12:20 PM
la la la la lie

spiiiral
04-22-2006, 12:24 PM
or is it just a death... hairball?

w00t

fight club

eleventh minute
04-22-2006, 10:26 PM
uhh, death rattle to me meant like in 1984 -the book- how the party used the media to show war non stop and it kept the masses happy to know that they were safer knowing that everyone else was dying at war. as relation to the real world, everytime you turn on the tv ...all it is is riots, protests, military operations, etc etc. and we sit around like bobble heads ...so i think the "la la la la la lie" is just a mocking of this 'singing' as la la la la lie sounds, to me, sarcastic. as a rattle is a baby's toy for the most part, it's given to amuse the masses (the babies) from becoming idle and thinking for themselfs. but like the majority of my posts, and thoughts, this comes out looking like jumbled thoughts, but here they are.

SomethingSpecial
04-23-2006, 01:39 AM
Still have the transmitter
synched to the death rattle.
hmmm, there's a thought

Snakedragon
04-23-2006, 10:52 AM
didnt they say they used wierd things as musical props like a hand blender, i reckon it was that used on some metal thing

ID-entity
04-25-2006, 10:21 PM
uhh, death rattle to me meant like in 1984 -the book- how the party used the media to show war non stop and it kept the masses happy to know that they were safer knowing that everyone else was dying at war. as relation to the real world, everytime you turn on the tv ...all it is is riots, protests, military operations, etc etc. and we sit around like bobble heads ...so i think the "la la la la la lie" is just a mocking of this 'singing' as la la la la lie sounds, to me, sarcastic. as a rattle is a baby's toy for the most part, it's given to amuse the masses (the babies) from becoming idle and thinking for themselfs. but like the majority of my posts, and thoughts, this comes out looking like jumbled thoughts, but here they are.

exactly.

themayanlion
04-26-2006, 11:11 AM
yeah i was gonan say, the la la la la la la la lie part was just him singing the death rattle he was just talking about

Triangular_Vision
04-26-2006, 03:08 PM

i agree totally... the media is here to make you accept the evil of the world around you by telling you its - over there - we are taking care of it - this person died to save you - no worries - just keep producing and using your energy to feed this machine that is saving you - yes... go back to sleep. I wont let the boogie man come. Safe from pain, and truth and choice and other poison devils... Are you not proud its working? This machine is working.

usa4jer
04-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Am I the only one who thinks it just sounds cool? Like, maybe it's just in there because people have been singing like that since...I don't know, but for a long time and Maynard felt like singing a little lullabye-type deal right there. Because it sure as hell doesn't sound like a "rattle" to me, let alone a death rattle, but it does sound beautiful. It might be my favorite part of the song.

Well, and the drop when the main riff first kicks in. And the chugging bridge section's pretty sweet too. And I also like the build up at the end.

Fuck, I just love this song. Gotta go listen again, excuse me.

Stev
04-26-2006, 08:12 PM
La la la la la lie etc is not the death rattle itself, it's MJK singing along to the death rattle.

From Wikipedia:

A death rattle is a gurgling or rattle-like noise produced by the accumulation of excessive respiratory secretions in the throat.

Those who are dying may lose their ability to swallow, resulting in such an accumulation.

While it is medically established that the death rattle is a strong indication that someone is near death, it can also be produced by other problems that cause interference with the swallowing reflex, for instance brain injuries.

It is sometimes misinterpreted as the sound of the person choking to death.

I do agree that the 'la la la' is sarcastically singing along 'carelessly' as we march to our deaths. For me at least - it's definitely 'sing to the death rattle' and not 'synched'.