PDA

View Full Version : Another way of looking at it?

etc43
04-21-2006, 05:41 AM
Weeks before this had even leaked, people kept saying that 10,000 days was the approximate amount of time that Maynard's mother was paralyzed before she died, and many people were certain that, without a doubt (and without even having heard the song), that is what the song was going to be about. When I listened to it, however, that is not at all what came to mind.

I don't want people to make stupid assumptions about my religion when I say this, so if you are just going to assume I'm a Christian and tell me I'm wrong, don't bother posting. Or do. It doesn't really matter to me either way.

Anyway, this is probably the single most depressing-sounding piece of music I have ever heard in my life. Listening to it, various aspects of it (the thunderstorm, "hard to see you in this light") made me immediately picture the crucifixion. Keeping in mind the fact that Jesus was about 10,000 days old when he died and wasn't too thrilled about the fact that he was being killed off as part of some higher plan, lyrics like "10,000 days in the fire is long enough, you're coming home" seem really appropriate to me. Not to mention the inclusion of Judas in the lyrics.

I'm not saying that's what the song is about. I think it's a possibility, though. Sure, Maynard is obviously no Christian, but if this song IS about the crucifixion, it's hardly a praise song. It seems like a story-song to me; a story set to music; and really, there are an infinite number of stories you could set to this music. Just pointing out another way of looking at it, since most of what's been posted has been about Judith.

mystictigress
04-21-2006, 07:27 AM
That's interesting, another friend of mine who doesn't come to this forum said it was about Jesus as well. He views it as Jesus's journey as a personal quest instead of humanitarian effort.

Before I came here and the mother meaning clicked, I thought it was about Satan in a Paradise Lost light.

Narcasist
04-21-2006, 07:50 AM
Jesus was 33 when he died. 10,000 days is 27~. 6 years is quite a stretch. To me it's pretty obvious, especially when he uses the name Judith Marie in the song, that's it's about Mom.

etc43
04-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Jesus was 33 when he died. 10,000 days is 27~. 6 years is quite a stretch. To me it's pretty obvious, especially when he uses the name Judith Marie in the song, that's it's about Mom.

Chances are, it IS about his mom. I just think it's interesting to look for other ways of looking at it. The 6 year difference is definately a stretch, but over the course of 2000 years, details aren't exactly reliable, either...

Zarathustra
04-21-2006, 08:03 AM
"You were my light, my way, my evidence, Judith marie, unconditional one"

yeah its about jesus >_>

Him
04-21-2006, 08:44 AM
He is singing about the depth of feelings he has for his mother.
Judith was a song about his then-feelings towards her and her opinions about God and his anger towards her blindness.
With Lateralus he came to accept a wider compromise of life, realizing that holding onto anger is not the "high" way.
"High is the way, but our lives are on the ground"

Instead he goes into the depth which his mother felt for God while being in this state and explores it inside out as he feels it is his duty to her and himself to evolve.

"This little light of mine, the gift you passed onto me
I'll let it shine to guide you safely on your way
Your way home..."

By exploring it he finds that this reflection localized to a more global one, she believed in him (Wings Pt.1), and she believed in Jesus.
This reflection suggests that through respecting her belief in experiential understanding he grasps the light that lead her to believe in a better place, and carries on the light to serve as a beacon for others.

These are just a few thoughts I've been throwing around.

Interestingly enough even though I had no doubts that this song is directly about his mother after the first listen, I got a lot of connotations relating to the life of Jesus from it too. I also first thought of 10,000 days as being the life of Jesus (I thought of this before listening to the track).
It just feels too powerful to be just about his mother, it has a kind of universal feel to it but I just can't quite get it yet. You can hear in his voice that it is about so much more than that.

lucydog
04-21-2006, 09:12 AM
seems to me, hes talking about his mother as his personal savior.
"you are the light and the way that they will only read about"

ukm
04-21-2006, 09:30 AM
The song seems to draw a lot of parallels between Judith and Jesus - so I wouldn't say you're completely off-base.

zoomster
04-21-2006, 09:51 AM
"You were my light, my way, my evidence, Judith marie, unconditional one"

yeah its about jesus >_>

exactly. i can't believe there are some people who have doubts about this song's subject. Sure parts are open to some interpretation (not much), but i don't think this could get much more straight forward..

etc43
04-21-2006, 10:36 AM
exactly. i can't believe there are some people who have doubts about this song's subject. Sure parts are open to some interpretation (not much), but i don't think this could get much more straight forward..

Since when have Tool songs left people without doubts of the subject? And by the way, I never said that the song had nothing to do with Maynard's mom. I'm not denying that it does. I'm saying that Tool songs normally have more to them than that.

praefector
04-21-2006, 10:39 AM
this point of view makes sense

maynard could be likening his mothers death saving his own life the way that christians feel christ died for them so they could have life in heaven.

but the line

"judith marie; unconditional one" clearly points the theme of the song in the direction of his mother

zoomster
04-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Since when have Tool songs left people without doubts of the subject? And by the way, I never said that the song had nothing to do with Maynard's mom. I'm not denying that it does. I'm saying that Tool songs normally have more to them than that.

that's why this album is such a departure from the tool we have known in the past. particularly this song, so personal, he gives it all away... i've never been touched by a tool song in this way before...

garrnew
04-21-2006, 11:19 AM
The songs definitely about his mom. The fiirst half up until the "10,000 days in the fire is long enough", however, also could describe Jesus. I think as someone else mentioned, he is paralleling his mom to Jesus. Which could be an insult to Christianity in itself. But I didn't take it that way.

etc43
04-21-2006, 11:19 AM
that's why this album is such a departure from the tool we have known in the past. particularly this song, so personal, he gives it all away... i've never been touched by a tool song in this way before...

Can't disagree with you, there. This is probably the most amazing song I've ever heard.

Choice Breath
04-21-2006, 11:38 AM
I like your theory and I too appreciate someone presenting a possible alternate meaning. I also wouldn't be surprised if it held other meanings. That said, the "Judith Marie" line pretty clearly tells us who it is about. Then there's the line, "fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father tell them their pillar of faith has ascended . . ."
It wouldn't make sense for Jesus to ascend and then say to fetch the spirit, the SON, and the father. It's an interesting take on the song though.

bwood99x
04-21-2006, 10:36 PM
the song is def about his mother, and i think he uses judas in the lyrics as comparing her to the fibbers in the congregation and saying she would have been the disciple that would have stuck by jesus when he was crucified, peter i think was supposedly jesus' most devoted follower, yet he denied this three times right before or during the crucifixion

Untamed
04-21-2006, 11:39 PM

Pretty dull to only come out of a song with one stream lined theme dont you think?

The main thing about Tool for me is that I can take anything this guys writes, and super impose it to any given subject if I choose to. Yes it's about his Mother. Yes it is obvious, but it's also perfectly ok to take it and fit it to you and your life.

Thats what art is man. I seriously doubt MJK demands us to completely surrender our thoughts to his. When someone like Maynard comes along, and offers his mind for all of us to grasp and pick at, why waste it. I'm gonna be a vulture and take the scraps and fit it into my life.

"Feed my will to feel this moment" , Maynard deals with his moments, I doubt he wants us dealing with his moments along side him. I have my own moments I'm going to apply his strategies too.

Perfect song, absolutely brilliant. I am very happy for him and his healing processes.