PDA

View Full Version : Personal Story

Carbonatedgravy
04-21-2006, 12:10 AM
It's a bit awkward to just bring such a personaly story out openly, but this song coupled with Wings For Marie touched me in a way I really didn't expect, and I would like to share if that's okay.

For most of my life I have suffered severe depression, and over the last few years, and particularly months, I have become increasingly suicidal. The reasons for my depression are complex, and while I'm not sensitive about discussing it, it's not necessary to the story. Death is a threshold I feel I have passed many times before in my mind, but I have always been physically held back due to an indescribable connection to my mother. I have tried to break free of this connection for a long time so I could just kill myself guilt-free and be done with it.

It was obviously a selfish thought of me, but I didn't care. Today when I heard this song for the first few times with the lyrics as interpreted by the members here I started to make parallels between Maynard's connection to him mother and my own connections. My mother, like his, has been very religious and very faithful. She has prayed for me time and again, which I've always resented since I am not myself religious in nature.

But this song opened my eyes, particularly the passage:

Cause you, who faithfully served,
What have I done to be a son to an angel
What have I done to be worthy

Even as I just mechanically copy and paste that my eyes well up. I've never really done anything to be a good son to a mother who has given me so much. And I'm through with that. I called my mom tonight at midnight and told her that I was finally willing to change and try to get help. (I've had help before but I never gave it any effort, because I did NOT want it.)

I know that this was highly personal for Maynard, and I don't know what he intended for others to get out of this song, but I have a lot to owe to it.

Thanks for reading, and I'm sorry for being cheesy.

Scrunzset
04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
Hear hear, man. Thank you for sharing these deeply personal sentiments. I know if Maynard and the band were reading this, they would be grateful and satisfied that their music has touched someone in a profound way. I can't say that I'm similar to you.... except that I was very suicidal for a number of years. But now I feel I'm past that point (although my life has gotten a great deal more worse), and the only thing I think that keeps me wanting to stay in this world is the connection to the people that I love, including my mother. Dad walked out on us about 2 years ago, and now my sister and I are busting our ass every day just to stay afloat, making sure our mentally-disabled mother has a bed to sleep on and food to eat.

I know that if Tool wasn't in my life, I wouldn't be here.

And hearing a song like this makes me very glad that I've hung on all these years.

Tribute to you.

Zarathustra
04-21-2006, 12:16 AM
See that's exactly what Tool as artist are really trying to do. Make music that actually helps people.

Good to hear that your now able to do something positive. I have a feeling this album is going to be one of the most impacting for the people that hear it.

Happy to hear you are finding healing.

Keep looking my friend, anyone can find happiness. It is out there.