PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Bomb mic

Dr. Jake Destructo
04-20-2006, 08:32 PM
So, if you've read Adam Jones' interview in April's GuitarWorld issue, you may remember him speaking about the different set ups he used on the album, and one thing that stuck out to me was him mentioning this microphone he created and called 'the pipe bomb microphone.' I don't remember exactly what it is, but I think it involved encasing a microphone in a metal cylinder or something. Do you think thats how Jones creates that tone and sustain in Lost Keys?

Just a thought.

Echelon11
04-20-2006, 09:00 PM
It said in wikipedia about the article that he would put a metal pipe around a guitar pickup but that doesn't make any sense.

Dolophane
04-21-2006, 12:35 PM
It said in wikipedia about the article that he would put a metal pipe around a guitar pickup but that doesn't make any sense.
I don't recall the article exactly, but this could just mean that he used a microphonic guitar pickup inside a metal pipe in place of a microphone.

sheareel
04-21-2006, 06:10 PM
The article quoted him saying the microphone was made up of a guitar pickup mounted off center inside a short piece of brass pipe and capped on both ends.

Lost Keys
04-24-2006, 02:04 AM
damnit! you beat me to this post. I thought of the pipe bomb mic when I heard the guitar (that and Godflesh). it definitelly sounds cylinder like. i doubt it was placed around the pick up . the mic was placed in a metal tube and probably placed infront of the amp or so.

delysid
04-26-2006, 10:32 PM
damnit! you beat me to this post. I thought of the pipe bomb mic when I heard the guitar (that and Godflesh). it definitelly sounds cylinder like. i doubt it was placed around the pick up . the mic was placed in a metal tube and probably placed infront of the amp or so.

I think he also uses it for one solo in "Rosetta Stoned" as well.

inthesound
05-02-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm not thinking this song is where he uses it...doesn't sound much like how he described it. To me, that is.

.chris