PDA

View Full Version : "Vicarious" Review

smk4813
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
TOOL - "Vicarious" Review

The first single from the new album hit the radio this passing Monday. After my body was completely atomized, I managed to pull myself back together to write this review in waiting.

It opens eerily enough. The guitar chords and effects are reminiscent of the Lateralus album. The vocals are low pitched and well balanced with the guitars with Adam clearly having a more leading sound out front. A great opening track. Not as hard hitting as "Stinkfist," but more along the lines of "The Grudge" in terms of chords and timing (I think "Vicarious" was being played in 10/4; that's what dude man said).

The lyrics are great as always, focusing on the human emphasis on tragedy and the kind of attention that always seems to gravitate towards it.

There's an interlude/chop where for a good bit the drums and bass take over with some mean D chords and rhythms (it's that Meshuggah influence they were talking about).

There's another interlude proceeding the 2nd post-chorus. A lot of "Schism" chords are used here. The single ends with a lot of tension and anxiety built up due to the speed. I can't wait for the album to come out to see how the second track (Jambi) carries you away from this piece.

I don't know how they do it, but TOOL just always sounds like the heaviest, deepest (in terms of pitch & chords) band. I mean I listen to bands that play in a low C# (lower than TOOL, since they play in low D). Hell, Meshuggah goes lower than that and plays in a low G flat. They do make it work though.

10,000 Days is gonna kick ass.

werkzeug
04-20-2006, 08:19 PM
Just letting you know, it flows perfectly into Jambi.