PDA

View Full Version : black sabbath-esque?

eulogy508
03-21-2003, 03:52 PM
now, don't go all crazy on me if you think i'm a dumbass for saying this, but I think some of tool's guitar riffs sound a fair amount like Black Sabbath... (not critizicing tool for copying or anything, though)

especially on undertow--

Prison Sex-- The opening guitar.... you can't disagree with me, come on....

Undertow-- At around 5 minutes into the song, a new, fast guitar riff kicks in and it REALLY reminds me of black sabbath, because they do that too.

4 Degrees-- the solo, not that much though

Flood-- the solo (I LOVE IT!!!)

also.... if anyone whos reading this that has the black sabbath song, "Black Sabbath", i hope you are willing to try the following:

listen to either "black sabbath" or "the grudge" and be sure to listen carefully to the ending guitar riffs that close out the songs entirely. They bare a very striking resemblance and no one could deny it whose ears are working.

Please tell me what you think....
but dont say "WHAT THE *^$# ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, THEY DONT SOUND ALIKE AT ALL" just because you dont know b.s. that well, so this post is mostly for readers who are smart enough to be able to identify black sabbath's guitar riffs and musical styles.

Valkyrie
03-28-2003, 10:44 PM
WHAT THE *^$# ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, THEY DONT SOUND ALIKE AT ALL!

I actually see this. I get a sense of almost...Nashville borne style from Adam's playing. They sound country rock influenced in terms of composition. But, hey, what the fuck do I know?

eulogy508
03-29-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Valkyrie
WHAT THE *^$# ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, THEY DONT SOUND ALIKE AT ALL!

I actually see this. I get a sense of almost...Nashville borne style from Adam's playing. They sound country rock influenced in terms of composition. But, hey, what the fuck do I know?

i need a black sabbath listener to read this post.... who wants to actually talk about it!

DisgracedEffigy
03-30-2003, 07:18 AM
I listen to Black Sabbath and I do see some similarities. But, none of those are overly noticable, unless that is what you're looking for. But, yeah, they are somewhat Sabbathesque, I guess.

stalkingbutler
06-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Well every rock band since the 1970s has been influenced by the sabbath

BackToMyKnees
06-18-2003, 06:44 PM
I don't know much Sabbath other than the very well-known songs, so I couldn't judge, but I think it's fair to say every even remotley "heavy" band around today has somewhat been influenced by them.

DisgracedEffigy
06-25-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by stalkingbutler
Well every rock band since the 1970s has been influenced by the sabbath

Idiot.

LthirdSeyeD
03-04-2004, 08:07 PM
I am a huge sabbath fan and I really dont notice any simialrites. Sabbath is really blusey while Tool....is Tool

Tonny Iommi usually used stanard tuning while Tool uses dropped tunning. There is a big difference in tone and type of riffs played. But I guess I could see what your talking about becuase Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin pretty much influenced every modern band today.

Agent_Of_Chaos
09-03-2004, 08:41 PM
You've got a good ear. Most of the stuff on "Undertow" was created from an old tape of Black Sabbath outtakes that Adam Jones found in the basement at his house.

clown137
09-26-2004, 06:40 PM
Im a heavy Sabbath listener Eulogy and i know what ur talking about. You can only say that though for Undertow and Opiate but its defnetly true. Bands like Down, Tool, Alice in Chains really made a more modren , more amped up sabbath sound, but it defenetly spawned from sabbath. The way I look at it you can usually trace most bands sound to either Zeppelin or Sabbath, but i usually dont fint one that takes both very well and puts them together very well