PDA

View Full Version : Joseph Campbell

listerine kills
04-20-2006, 05:30 PM
I can only suggest that one reference Joseph Campbell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" when considering the meaning of this song. That Judith Marie travelled the Path of the Hero is made evident from the outset of the song. The extraordinary beauty of "Wings For Marie" and "10,000 Days," I suspect, is derived, in part, from the togetherness of the archtypical and the idiosyncratic; although travelling a Path represented in much myth, Judith, it seems, travelled The Path singularly, as all Heroes must.

Just some idle thoughts...I don't want to seem too presumptuous, especially as regards the details of her life; there is a fine line between interpretation and zealous voyeurism.

listerine kills
04-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Refutations? Comfirmations? Thoughts?

RepelHistory
04-24-2006, 11:41 AM
The first time I listened to this song, when I heard the lyrics "follow the path of the hero," Joseph Campbell was the first thing that came to my mind. After a little examination, I believe that throughout the rest of the song, Maynard continues to make subtle references to the hero's journey.

my.thirdeye
04-24-2006, 09:58 PM
I tend to agree, as this was also my first impression.

...well, okay, maybe my second impression. My first impression was most definitely "wow."

knot0fvipers
04-24-2006, 10:03 PM
joseph campbell is a waste of time, picture the most wide ranging expierences a human can possibly have, then write books that try to make that into a simple theory of "experience".
fuck him, total charlatan.

this song has nothing to do with that prick, this song is straight from the gut.

RepelHistory
04-24-2006, 10:21 PM
If you don't like Campbell because the experiences he describes are "wide ranging," then you've completely missed the point. Campbell works with archetypes, and archetypes by definition are supposed to be wide ranging. Using that concept to help form an idea in a song doesn't stop it from being "straight from the gut." Expression of emotions is really hard, just because emotions so often defy words. If you've ever done something artistic, you probably know what I mean. There's nothing wrong with using someone else's ideas as a starting point when you're looking for the best way of letting out how you feel. That's what makes a theory that deals with archetypes useful. It gives Maynard and his listeners a common way of looking at things without compromising his emotional expression. The result is that you feel emotional when you listen to the song, because you've found some common ground with Maynard.

AshleyDyan
04-24-2006, 10:21 PM
Whether or not it was derived from Campbell's books and theories on heroism, there are a lot of similarities between the two. Many of us have unfortunately felt grief in the same way as expressed in the song, and the love felt for lost parents/family members/friends eventually expresses itself in comparing the journey the loved one faced to the typical hero's journey.

I think it was really clever of you to make that comparison, though, listerine kills. After the first listen I knew how powerful the song was; after the second listen while reading lyrics I actually began to cry, remembering what my family and I went through in the grieving process.. I hadn't gotten past the personal rememberance to realize how close many of the lyrics come to being Campbell quotes. Good thought!

xmothx
04-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Oddly enough, I am teaching a segment on Joseph Campbell's monomyth material and think this album really fits in with that. Just me.

rocco
04-25-2006, 06:05 PM
Not that it matter, knotOFvipers, but maynard has often talked about JC as an influence. If it's straight from the gut, it's because he's digested much of Campbell's theories.

I had the same initial thought. Which would also quell any repulsion people seem to be having to Chrisitian symbology.