PDA

View Full Version : Caduceus

kyyuulle
04-20-2006, 05:23 PM
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9511

Definition of Caduceus

Caduceus: 1. A rod with two snakes entwined about it topped by a pair of wings.

2. An insignia of a caduceus meant, mistakenly, to symbolize a physician.

The caduceus served as the symbol of Hermes and Mercury, the Greek and Roman messenger gods. The caduceus was the sign of a herald and hence a logical symbol for the messenger. However, because of a misconception, the caduceus became the insignia of the US Army Medical Corps. The Medical Corps should have chosen the symbol of medicine, which is the rod of Aesculapius, which has only one snake and no wings atop it. No wings were necessary since the essence of medicine is not speed. The single serpent that could shed its skin and emerge in full vigor represents the renewal of youth and health -- medicine.

The Latin word "caduceus" came from the Greek "karykeion," from "karyx" or "keryx" meaning "herald."

The caduceus with its pair of snakes coiled about each other bears some resemblance to the structure of DNA, the double helix, which was only discovered in modern times (in 1953, if that is still in "modern times").

04-20-2006, 05:58 PM
That's quite a tenuous association. I am quite enamoured of the Caduceus and I don't really see any connection between it and the song's lyrics.

kyyuulle
04-20-2006, 06:02 PM
i was actually looking for some help with the connection, i just couldn't piece it together

spiralout11235
04-20-2006, 06:55 PM
I don't see why there would be any connection.

kyyuulle
04-20-2006, 06:59 PM
thanks for the insight

Brandi Rahvez
04-27-2006, 11:20 AM
You guys should drink more often.

yossaricat
04-27-2006, 12:35 PM
You guys should drink more often.

maynard's wining at you, that's what it means

xineax
04-27-2006, 01:53 PM
There's more of a connection between the Caduceus and the Lateralus album. Kundalini==caduceus--the spiraled dormant serpent at the base of the spine that is responsible for life and for awakening to one's nature as God. It's all over the artwork for that album. Lateralis is a word commonly used to describe serpents.

You can see this awakening in the Alex Grey CG on Parabol\a video.

wags
04-27-2006, 06:33 PM
or maynard is subtly inserting references to his winery as Brandi Rahvez may have implied...

xineax
04-28-2006, 07:46 AM
or maynard is subtly inserting references to his winery as Brandi Rahvez may have implied...

A little cross-marketing action? Oh yeah, that'd be great.