PDA

View Full Version : Was This The Right Song To Cry To?

right_in_three
04-20-2006, 02:35 PM
When I got the album, I can remember being really satisfied with Jambi (being right at home, at least to me, after Vicarious), and I mean utterly satisfied. Then when Wings For Marie came around, I forget where I heard this but at first it seemed like a slower Parabol in the beginning. Then when it faded right into 10,000 days, I had that very very strange feeling that when I close my eyes (which were closed anyways, I was in bed) I feel like my entire body is shaking...My eyes are closed and yet I was swaying. I couldn't suppress it...when Maynard sang "10,000 days in the fire is long enough...you're going home" harmonizing perfectly with himself...it gave way. Tears definitely welled in my eyes and I was utterly in awe. That has never ever happened even when I really wanted it to.

Did anyone else get completely touched by this ballad?

First post ever, by the way.

layersbeyondimagination
04-20-2006, 02:44 PM
not touched at all by this song. im utterly disappointed at htis moment. i hope that chnages with more listens.

right_in_three
04-20-2006, 02:50 PM
You'd be amazed at how things change after more listens. I never ever believed that could happen, I always thought whatever my first impression was would be it. But that shallow mindframe actually got shattered about a month ago quite unexpectedly. Then again, there are already a buttload of people claiming this is better than Lateralus. So who knows what would happen if eberyone shut up and listened to it nonstop for a week.

paralyzed_vampire
05-20-2006, 04:22 AM
When I got the album, I can remember being really satisfied with Jambi (being right at home, at least to me, after Vicarious), and I mean utterly satisfied. Then when Wings For Marie came around, I forget where I heard this but at first it seemed like a slower Parabol in the beginning. Then when it faded right into 10,000 days, I had that very very strange feeling that when I close my eyes (which were closed anyways, I was in bed) I feel like my entire body is shaking...My eyes are closed and yet I was swaying. I couldn't suppress it...when Maynard sang "10,000 days in the fire is long enough...you're going home" harmonizing perfectly with himself...it gave way. Tears definitely welled in my eyes and I was utterly in awe.

Exactly the same thing happened when I first heard it too. My sister saw me and pissed herself laughing, lol!

This is the first time I'm reading what everyone is saying about the album since it came out. Some people really need to just listen to it.

Carbonatedgravy
05-20-2006, 06:50 AM
There were a lot of threads just like this when the song first came out. (I'm not saying that to be a dick. I'm just pointing out that many people agree with you.)

For me it took a couple listens. The first time I was still absorbing it all and letting my expectations melt away. It wasn't until I understood the theme of the song that it really got to me. But yeah. I cried too.

A groan
05-20-2006, 07:05 AM
No Push It is...

Setve
05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
When I got the album, I can remember being really satisfied with Jambi (being right at home, at least to me, after Vicarious), and I mean utterly satisfied. Then when Wings For Marie came around, I forget where I heard this but at first it seemed like a slower Parabol in the beginning. Then when it faded right into 10,000 days, I had that very very strange feeling that when I close my eyes (which were closed anyways, I was in bed) I feel like my entire body is shaking...My eyes are closed and yet I was swaying. I couldn't suppress it...when Maynard sang "10,000 days in the fire is long enough...you're going home" harmonizing perfectly with himself...it gave way. Tears definitely welled in my eyes and I was utterly in awe. That has never ever happened even when I really wanted it to.

Did anyone else get completely touched by this ballad?

First post ever, by the way.

i did not cry to this song, but it would be hte song to cry too.

quick note:
i was half way through reading your post when my dad yelled out "haha that *** is crying" at something he saw on tv. i just thought it was a funny coincidence, and i am not calling you *** =).

EdwardJamesKeenan
05-20-2006, 04:15 PM
vicarious makes me angry almost, and then jambi makes me emotional, and then wings pt 1 hightens the emotion and finally pt 2 makes me feel like crying. its almost like it was planed that way.

PriyanPhoenix
05-22-2006, 07:44 AM
vicarious makes me angry almost, and then jambi makes me emotional, and then wings pt 1 hightens the emotion and finally pt 2 makes me feel like crying. its almost like it was planed that way.
I definitely agree. The first half of album seems to build up to this emotional apex in Pt. 2 and then (broken up by the chant and the introduction to Rosetta), moves in a different direction for the latter portion.

smeefsmeef
05-22-2006, 11:37 AM

Then the pot makes me laugh and dance. I love Tool.

Lily17
05-22-2006, 12:55 PM
I agree. I listened to this album nonstop for about 3 or 4 days and now I'm in love with it. 10,000 days has affected me like no other Tool song, or maybe no other song ever has. I think knowing the subject of it definitely makes it that much more emotional. It's just incredible and I'm so completely happy that I have this amazing song and album to listen to (not to mention the others). It just reenforces why Tool has been and will always be such a crucial and important part of my life.

lacroixja
05-22-2006, 01:17 PM
The first time I heard Wings for Marie followed by 10,000 days I had to play them back. When I first listen to a Tool song for the first time I only listen to the music. I however do catch some phrases here and there, but I later go back and follow the song with the lyrics infront of me. The first time I heard this song and read it along with the lyrics I felt much pain. I could feel the emotions MJK released through this song, almost as if he pulled out writings from a journal he keeps, if he keeps one. I personaly believe this is Tool's most emotional song, and I too have wept while listening to it!

guitarpete987
05-22-2006, 01:37 PM
you have to allow yourself to be vulnerable when listening to this song. If you keep your cold shell on, you won't feel anything.

But if you let your guard down, you will.

Lowkey_Loki
09-14-2006, 05:36 PM
I bawled my eyes out when I scoured around for the unofficial lyrics and listened to it while reading them. This song hits home and touches on some very personal things surrounding my own mother's death several years ago. It almost seemed to me that Maynard was writing this song to me personally...

Ever since the release, I always get a little choked up. This song's helped me slowly resolve some of the emotional baggage I still carry, and I can't thank Tool enough for this gift.

Sidenote: my wife and I are naming our first daughter Judith Marie (my mother's first name and my wife's mother's first name). We decided on that name when we first started discussing having children...then 10,000 Days comes out.

Kinda creepy when everything sorta falls into place...and my first official post here on the forums.