PDA

View Full Version : Failure of Enlightenment

Ertai
04-20-2006, 11:59 AM
more and more i hear this album and Wings for Marie pt1&2 i think of what the band said about failure of enlightenment,etc... the more i hear this album i see where it fits in the tool trilogy...

this album ceases to amaze

ShamanicTom
04-20-2006, 12:08 PM
What did the band say about the Failure of Enlightenment?

Jimmeny
04-20-2006, 01:23 PM
If something ceases to amaze, isn't that, like, a bad thing? Did you get the saying wrong or are you being sarcastic?

sillymonkeys
04-20-2006, 03:26 PM
I think he/she just meant never ceases.

molehill
04-21-2006, 12:17 AM
I don't think it is the failure of enlightenment, but certainly the failure of realisation of enlightenment.

Technically, if there is such a thing as a state of enlightenment, then it is ubiquitious, superceding any states.

The hinderance of enlightenment is not realising that you are now, and have always been, enlightened.

ultrakow
04-22-2006, 02:52 AM
I don't think it is the failure of enlightenment, but certainly the failure of realisation of enlightenment.

Technically, if there is such a thing as a state of enlightenment, then it is ubiquitious, superceding any states.

The hinderance of enlightenment is not realising that you are now, and have always been, enlightened.

--

what the fuck does this mean?? platonic epistemology ? no thanks.

this reference points directly to the project (and the narrative) of the enlightenment, that is, the trajectory of progress and technological domination of nature, of the attainment of absolute scientific knowledge... etc

please don't convolute what the band says with your thoughtless and unEDUCATED spoutings because you simply read some new age bullshit bought at barnes and noble.

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
04-22-2006, 03:11 PM

This guy's been usin' his brain.
Unlike alot of people on here(christians)

MypugsAreSmarterThanYou
04-22-2006, 03:12 PM
--

this reference points directly to the project (and the narrative) of the enlightenment, that is, the trajectory of progress and technological domination of nature, of the attainment of absolute scientific knowledge... etc

please don't convolute what the band says with your thoughtless and unEDUCATED spoutings because you simply read some new age bullshit bought at barnes and noble.

Please educate yourself.

molehill
04-22-2006, 04:00 PM
--
This guy's been usin' his brain.
Unlike alot of people on here(christians)

Thank you pugs. If you don't use it, you lose it ;).

--

A simple "I don't understand, but I disagree." would have sufficed.

--

Does it? Where? I'm not saying that it doesn't, but technological domination and extension of physical control are not enlightenment. That is conquest and not at all enlightened.

Although enlightenment can be applied to a single focus or concept, for example 'I became enlightened on the cheese-making process', but if unqualified, if enlightenment is, then enlightenment is all.

--

*Yawn*
Pointless rhetoric, but if it helped you get your jollies, then cool.

I am not convoluting what the band is saying, and I only read Mills & Boon novels, but my spoutings come from the definition of what enlightenment is, and a comment on why enlightnenment cannot really fail.

I'm sorry if you feel threatened by this.

varg
04-23-2006, 01:10 AM
All americans are christians.

(Starting shit? Me?)

APT
04-23-2006, 07:23 AM
All Swedish people are ignorant.

reedc33
04-23-2006, 07:33 AM
All Swedish people are ignorant.

All ignorant people are blond, so....

varg
04-23-2006, 09:40 AM
And I'm not blond. So who's ignorant?
Plus, I added the parenthesis to illustrate the sarcasm.

T-13h
04-23-2006, 09:44 AM
right in two...

varg
04-23-2006, 09:50 AM
I apologize for said provocation (which was nothing else than a provocation).
And on a related subject, I must admit myself OWND.