PDA

View Full Version : Can Right in Two be taken out of context?

Vexom
04-20-2006, 10:11 AM
Ok hopefully this doesn't blow up, let me just first say that every tool fan knows that this song has nothing to do with race and that it is referring to the human race in general. I will also say that while I am caucasian I do come from a very mixed immediate family consisting of African American, Native American, and Latino heritage. I would consider myself very anti-racism and think it is a huge problem in our society. I hope we can all stay civil in this topic and please keep any derogatory comments to yourself.

Ok so it didn't hit me until the last listen but you must admit that this song could be taken in a racist way as we all know that the term is sometimes used in a extremely derogatory way when referring to African Americans. Even though I know this is not what it means it made me like the song less. Also think of it in context of the chorus as well by dividing it right in two people could take it as dividing the world in two. Before you bash me for even having this thought listen to this song again with this in mind.

elusive_
04-20-2006, 10:19 AM
ahh... its talking about humanity. we all evolved from apes.

Vexom
04-20-2006, 10:20 AM
yeah I know and agree 100% just wondering if anybody thinks it could be taken out of context?

T-13h
04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
yeah I know and agree 100% just wondering if anybody thinks it could be taken out of context?

By racists, yes.

Vexom
04-20-2006, 10:24 AM
By racists, yes.
agreed

TornDown
04-20-2006, 10:59 AM
by people looking for a cheap and easy way to make money off of artists, it will absolutely be taken out of context.

T-13h
04-20-2006, 11:02 AM
I want my "Monkeys killing monkeys killing monkeys" T-shirt.

TornDown
04-20-2006, 11:06 AM
If tool doesn't make them, we will!! :)

paganman7
04-20-2006, 11:11 AM

Actually, no. It's a common misconception that the human species evolved FROM apes. We share a common ancestry, but we did not come FROM APES. Both humans and apes evolved from early hominid species (australopithicus aferensis).

Just thought I'd clear that up.

Cheers

aspradlin
04-20-2006, 12:31 PM
Actually, no. It's a common misconception that the human species evolved FROM apes. We share a common ancestry, but we did not come FROM APES. Both humans and apes evolved from early hominid species (australopithicus aferensis).

Cheers

So you're the only one who knows the missing link, eh? That's the only qualm I take with your post =D.

blair's man sausage
04-20-2006, 12:36 PM
can you take this out of context?

http://www.unl.edu/rhames/courses/current/chimpanzee-glock.jpg

Fulcan
04-20-2006, 12:40 PM
So you're the only one who knows the missing link, eh? That's the only qualm I take with your post =D.

Thats actually pretty accurate. Think of it like this. Dogs didnt evolve from wolves, they evolved along side them with a similar DNA stran.

Fulcan
04-20-2006, 12:42 PM

yeah, someone might think that that monkey is gay cause hes wearing a pink shirt. we all know he gets more pull than the suns gravitational feild.

elusive_
04-20-2006, 12:52 PM
Thats actually pretty accurate. Think of it like this. Dogs didnt evolve from wolves, they evolved along side them with a similar DNA stran.

i actaully knew that, but i dissregarded it during my post. thanks for reminding me tho.

getting back on topic...

monkeys killing monkeys killing monkeys > life feeds on life feeds on life

Wretched
04-20-2006, 12:58 PM
blacks killing blacks killing black
monkeys killing monekys killing monkeys

hmmm...... Food for thought, it fits the context of the song. That's for sure.

Idiots.

Fulcan
04-20-2006, 01:10 PM
blacks killing blacks killing black
monkeys killing monekys killing monkeys

hmmm...... Food for thought, it fits the context of the song. That's for sure.

Idiots.

gtfo and take off your hood.

blair's man sausage
04-20-2006, 01:22 PM
i thought all canadians were black...

sorry bad restaurant humor

*smacks self*

Ain Soph
04-20-2006, 02:38 PM
If tool doesn't make them, we will!! :)

Put my order in. XXL

aspradlin
04-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Put my order in. XXL
L

Ethirakith
04-20-2006, 04:15 PM
If you take this in a racist way, go ahead and kill yourself, come on now, if you are going to say that a reference to the whole human race as monkeys, makes the entire human race BLACK, then you, sir, are the racist.

How can it be taken racially?
Gave them thumbs.

Yeah, only blacks have thumbs, good one.

tool25
04-20-2006, 04:20 PM
wretched, fuckin hilarious rofl

EvilDoR
04-20-2006, 08:53 PM
Even racists know its about the entire human race. They won't listen to it though because they know they are gulity.

everlastingpmpkn
04-20-2006, 09:31 PM
was wondering if anyone else would think of the possibility of the song being construed as racist, but i didn't want to post this thread because a lot of idiots won't read your well thought out/written post, and just scream "YOUR AN IDIOT!!!11 MAYNARD ISNT A RASIST!!!!"

that being said, obviously the song isn't about black people, but how long will it take before the NAACP files some complaint with tool's record company

hereandthere
04-21-2006, 09:14 AM
No, it can't.

praefector
04-21-2006, 09:18 AM
anyone who bothers to understand the meaning of the song will realize that "talking monkeys" is how the angels view humans.

but ANYTHING can be taken out of context by someone with an agenda to further

Vexom
04-21-2006, 09:25 AM
was wondering if anyone else would think of the possibility of the song being construed as racist, but i didn't want to post this thread because a lot of idiots won't read your well thought out/written post, and just scream "YOUR AN IDIOT!!!11 MAYNARD ISNT A RASIST!!!!"

that being said, obviously the song isn't about black people, but how long will it take before the NAACP files some complaint with tool's record company
haha, thanks for that I had a debate in my head about starting this topic as well.

To clear things up I just want to say I know what the meaning of this song is and that its not about race at all and I have read all the lyrics and yes it is pretty clear. Some people though will only hear what they want to and in fact that is how racism still exists today.

Ballzee
04-22-2006, 12:12 PM
The chimp on a shirt with monkies killing monkies killing monkies!

Harry Manback
04-22-2006, 02:25 PM

People trained, brought up and bred wolves who over time evolved into what we now call dogs.

semoshocker
04-22-2006, 02:53 PM
Ok hopefully this doesn't blow up, let me just first say that every tool fan knows that this song has nothing to do with race and that it is referring to the human race in general. I will also say that while I am caucasian I do come from a very mixed immediate family consisting of African American, Native American, and Latino heritage. I would consider myself very anti-racism and think it is a huge problem in our society. I hope we can all stay civil in this topic and please keep any derogatory comments to yourself.

Ok so it didn't hit me until the last listen but you must admit that this song could be taken in a racist way as we all know that the term is sometimes used in a extremely derogatory way when referring to African Americans. Even though I know this is not what it means it made me like the song less. Also think of it in context of the chorus as well by dividing it right in two people could take it as dividing the world in two. Before you bash me for even having this thought listen to this song again with this in mind.

Ok, people like you are what is wrong with the world. Just throwing around accusations cause he says monkey. You fucking dipshit, you oversensitive bitch. Are you the ghost of Johnny Cochrane? What, you think cause you white ass has some racial mix you some white knight for the minorities in this country. Trust me, the minorities in this country bitch enough for themselves they dont need your help. You arent a racist, your worse, your probably a lawyer.

QuantumMind
04-22-2006, 03:29 PM
We are all monkeys that don't know how to share and love to kill each other

girlwiththesuninherhead
04-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Yes, agree with this wholeheartedly, and I think if anyone did take it as a racist song they'd be carrying on in exactly the way that the band are criticising in this song...

schmeng
04-22-2006, 07:46 PM
People trained, brought up and bred wolves who over time evolved into what we now call dogs.

he's right, the diference between apes and humans is nothing like dogs and wolves

Bigtoxy
04-22-2006, 08:53 PM
anyone who bothers to understand the meaning of the song will realize that "talking monkeys" is how the angels view humans.
Yeah but everyone knows Angels are white!!

abrack29
04-22-2006, 09:25 PM
Ok, people like you are what is wrong with the world. Just throwing around accusations cause he says monkey. You fucking dipshit, you oversensitive bitch. Are you the ghost of Johnny Cochrane? What, you think cause you white ass has some racial mix you some white knight for the minorities in this country. Trust me, the minorities in this country bitch enough for themselves they dont need your help. You arent a racist, your worse, your probably a lawyer.

Jesus, I disagree with what he said too, but you're being an idiot. He said it's possible that SOME PEOPLE will take it out of context, he explained several times that he knows it's not racist or anything. Calm the fuck down.

Bigtoxy
04-22-2006, 09:44 PM
This is TOOL not MC Tool nor DJ Tool I really don't think there are many black people that listen to them. I have been to several TOOL concerts and the only black people I saw were scanning tickets, selling food, or scalping (Sorry to any Indian viewers) tickets out in the parking lot. I'm Sure the very few black people that do listen to them get the the meaning of the song. You can read Racism in to anything a majority of the time it is used to prosper ones career to ruin another.

hbynoe
04-22-2006, 09:50 PM
i dont even think that way...hm...but i guess it could be taken out of context...by people who hate

mike09
04-23-2006, 04:10 AM

It made me laugh more than anything else.

yeah, someone might think that that monkey is gay cause hes wearing a pink shirt. we all know he gets more pull than the suns gravitational feild.

lol

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-23-2006, 04:18 AM

thats exactly right, all dogs genetic make up and instinctual behavior is derived from the wolf

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-23-2006, 04:21 AM
Jesus, I disagree with what he said too, but you're being an idiot. He said it's possible that SOME PEOPLE will take it out of context, he explained several times that he knows it's not racist or anything. Calm the fuck down.

if you take this out context your comprehension is shot

Vexom
04-23-2006, 04:43 AM
lol, awesome, I always wanted to be bitched out in text, thanks for that!

I'm not even going to directly comment to any of your pointless alogations from somebody that doesn't know the first thing about me other than did you even read my posts? Oh, and I personally think you are whats wrong with the world. Damn thats more time than I wanted to give you, oh well.

Personally I love the song as every song on the cd, just had a thought that I had not seen mentioned and expressed it which I thought this forum was for. So we established that it can't be taken out of context, ok and now I think I agree for the most part.

Moving on....

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-23-2006, 05:05 AM
are you what they call a jackson white?

Vexom
04-23-2006, 05:34 AM
*confused

toocooltool
04-23-2006, 06:11 AM
In answer to the title, ANYTHING can be taken out of context.

abrack29
04-23-2006, 01:12 PM
if you take this out context your comprehension is shot

Or you need some cash.

psychodad
04-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Put my order in. XXL

Hey! I want one too. LIFESIZED!

Sine Nobilitas
04-23-2006, 01:39 PM

Cheers
Well yeah, but that all depends on if you consider the common ancestor to be a monkey/ape. I think you are just clarifying that we did not come from modern apes though so this is really an aside.

semoshocker
04-23-2006, 05:10 PM
lol, awesome, I always wanted to be bitched out in text, thanks for that!

I'm not even going to directly comment to any of your pointless alogations from somebody that doesn't know the first thing about me other than did you even read my posts? Oh, and I personally think you are whats wrong with the world. Damn thats more time than I wanted to give you, oh well.

Personally I love the song as every song on the cd, just had a thought that I had not seen mentioned and expressed it which I thought this forum was for. So we established that it can't be taken out of context, ok and now I think I agree for the most part.

Moving on....

You seem so surprised I had an adverse reaction to your first post when in that post you stated that you expected it not to be taken well. I dont see how I make the world any worse due to the fact that I think there is too much general bitching and fingerpointing. Your post, while not calling maynard a racist, just contributes to the general racial discomfort in this country. Not by itself obviously, but just that thought process. I think it would be great if we could just not think in these terms. Threads like this one however let me know that race is everywhere, even places it most definately should not be, so if my retort was a bit harsh i apologize, but I must say, Kanye West does not care about white people. Get the point.

TheRuleOfThree
04-23-2006, 09:26 PM
This thread hurts my head.

everlastingpmpkn
04-24-2006, 06:26 PM
congratulations semoshocker, you are the dumbest poster i have ever had the displeasure of reading on this board. and considering some of the people on this board, you should consider that quite an accomplishment.

read his post again, dipshit. he is merely alluding to the possibility that it could be construed by some (yes, with an agenda or hypersensitive) as racist. i find it hilarious that in my post, which preceded yours, i outlined my apprehensiveness in posting the thread for fear of idiots like you. in more or less words, i was able to predict what idiots like you would say, and was almost dead on. 1 point, me.

tomatoms
04-24-2006, 11:17 PM
seed into primate, primate gives birth to man.

tomatoms
04-24-2006, 11:18 PM
seed into primate, primate gives birth to man.

mousersix
04-25-2006, 09:05 AM

Cheers

LOL thanks for clearing that up for me.

slicknickshady
04-25-2006, 12:19 PM
mmmm monkeys killing monkeys.

jasonchristopher
04-25-2006, 10:30 PM
this thread is stupid.