PDA

View Full Version : I'm almost...I don't know..."scared" when I listen.

grady
04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
(I posted on this song cause I'm really into it today)

I've been listening to the album for 24 hrs now. Jesus Christ! Amazing!

I was trying to explain to my girl and some others who arent into Tool like I am...one of the best and worst things about Tool, is...not everyone can hear them. They can't hear what we can.
It's a bad thing when you want someone to "feel" it like you do, but it's a good thing b/c Tool stays "all ours". No fucking donkeys that are into whatever new crap the radio feeds them, and also diggin' Tool. So they arent able to ruin it for everyone else. (not that it would be possible)

Does anyone also feel like you want to climb inside the album and walk around mezmerized by what you see?

Kinesthesis
04-20-2006, 10:10 AM
I can dig that for sure. It's A LOT to absorb. I'm full throttle on this ride.

jeebaz
04-20-2006, 10:13 AM

I was trying to explain to my girl and some others who arent into Tool like I am...one of the best and worst things about Tool, is...not everyone can hear them. They can't hear what we can.
It's a bad thing when you want someone to "feel" it like you do, but it's a good thing b/c Tool stays "all ours". No fucking donkeys that are into whatever new crap the radio feeds them, and also diggin' Tool. So they arent able to ruin it for everyone else. (not that it would be possible)

Does anyone also feel like you want to climb inside the album and walk around mezmerized by what you see?

How can anyone not be into TOOL - Ditch the Bitch

badgertool
04-20-2006, 10:16 AM
Amen! This song is so freaking awesome. To "feel it" is absolutely right. People who don't get Tool are dissapointing to those of us who do. However, it is a slight flaw on their part. They do not grasp the experience of Tool. They are not a mere band, but a total sensory bludgeoning. Subtle over-stimulation as it were. I was a casual fan utnil I saw Tool live in '98. It was a religious experience. Those who get Tool understand what I am saying, those who not lack an ability to let themselves become consumed by the experience.

Sucks for them!

grady
04-20-2006, 10:18 AM

It's not that my girl, or other friends don't like 'em, but just kinda..."Yeah. Tool's good"

Don't worry. I'm working with her... I actually HAVE sat a couple friends down and gave them a 2/3 hour "training" on TOOL. Some just take a little longer to get it.

Anyone remember back when something snapped and you got it?

grady
04-20-2006, 10:22 AM
Amen! This song is so freaking awesome. To "feel it" is absolutely right. People who don't get Tool are dissapointing to those of us who do. However, it is a slight flaw on their part. They do not grasp the experience of Tool. They are not a mere band, but a total sensory bludgeoning. Subtle over-stimulation as it were. I was a casual fan utnil I saw Tool live in '98. It was a religious experience. Those who get Tool understand what I am saying, those who not lack an ability to let themselves become consumed by the experience.

Sucks for them!

Extremely well put. Religous. (I was talking bout the whole album, and Tool all together. Not just the song. But the song is sick)

badgertool
04-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks. I am with you on the entire CD, the song is just my favorite.

Scrotophagus
04-20-2006, 06:01 PM

Yes! It was the line from Prison Sex.

I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this

Back on topic, this is one of the greatest songs I've heard in years. Some others on this album also qualify.

kamikaze87
04-21-2006, 07:18 AM

I think you pinned it down right there. I want some of my friends to understand tool but they just don't give it a listen with open ears. It's almost how tool can be number 1 on amazon sales, yahoo search listings and yet I ask some of the "rock" or "goth" people and they have never heard of Tool or if they have they say...

"yeah they have that song schism right?"

hahah

#Notion
04-21-2006, 12:06 PM
It's not that my girl, or other friends don't like 'em, but just kinda..."Yeah. Tool's good"

Don't worry. I'm working with her... I actually HAVE sat a couple friends down and gave them a 2/3 hour "training" on TOOL. Some just take a little longer to get it.

You're a fucking moron. People will like stuff when the time is right. Tool doesn't sit you down and explain the meaning of their songs to you cuz if they did you would either

A) write it down and make it your bible

or

B) (if you had any cojones and common sense) not agree with it and push it away and never find meaning for yourself.

buggrit
04-21-2006, 12:52 PM
Yes! It was the line from Prison Sex.

I have found some kind of temporary sanity in this

Back on topic, this is one of the greatest songs I've heard in years. Some others on this album also qualify.
That is EXACTLY the moment when I knew I would love this band probably forever!
The moment I decided to marry them was: Shut up and....BUY! BUY! BUY! My new record!

insaner
04-21-2006, 03:17 PM

i remember the exact moment and everything about my surroundings. the first time i got aenima was like this as well.

Madrid
04-21-2006, 05:22 PM
The only way to get somebody into Tool is give them the music, offer them a place to find Lyrics if they want them and leave them the fuck alone.

Some take to it like water to a fish.
Some people think it's too hard and depressing.
Some people think it's too soft and popular to be hip/cool/underground (idiots).

Mescaline
04-22-2006, 02:32 AM
aahhaaaha i know exactly what you mean... but at the same time I just want everyone to see what i seee.... because its so vastly beautiful.....!

Shooo-rook
04-22-2006, 04:05 AM
My moment was - "We need the fuckin space... TO NAIL THE NEXT FOOL MARTYR!!"

Then I looked up the lyrics to all of Anima, and I have NEVER looked back.

This new album is so good it makes me feel like crying.

vicariouslyeye
04-22-2006, 05:37 AM

thats is in fact very hard, the only way you can get into tool is when you just let it grow on yourself, you cant force someone to like something

phishman1
04-22-2006, 11:54 AM
My wife is a music educator, and she really likes Tool for their willingness to mess around with odd time signatures and syncopated rhythms. I thnk their song structures are a breath of fresh air, especially with all the other garbage out there posing as music. The cherry on top, for me, are the lyrics. I'm a 32 year old, grown man, and Maynard's lyrics can give me the chills or make me cry. It's the oddest thing. I wish I could write lyrics 1% as good as these...

Metalhos
04-22-2006, 03:47 PM
No fucking donkeys that are into whatever new crap the radio feeds them, and also diggin' Tool. So they arent able to ruin it for everyone else. (not that it would be possible)

brahaaaaaa.. you must a been high. do you just write here? read this forum and you would never write something like that again, even if you like to blow sugar in people's asses.

anyways. the pot is a killer of a commercial/dancefloor metal song. grrrrreat tune and i can't wait to hear it live.

Blackacre
04-22-2006, 05:02 PM
I will agree that you can't just have someone listen to Tool and expect them to like it right away. You really have to discover their music for yourself. I was first introduced to the band by my older brother when I was 13. He had me listen to a few tracks off of Undertow. I didn't really take to it at the time. I don't think I was mature enough to really appreciate the music itself as well as the lyrics. I sort of re-discovered them for myself when they released Lateralus. I can't fathom the amount of time I spent listening to that album, reading the lyrics, and contemplating their menaing. I was hooked and then I went back through and listened to all of their ealrier stuff and was amazed. I still am. So much of the interpretation that I (and I think others as well) put on the lyrics is a reflection of self and my own thoughts and feelings being inspired and drawn out through the music. So far, this new album is as inspiring, if not more, than the others. The Pot is just full of balls out, pure energy, and it just shows that Tool traverses the full range of emotions on their new album., just as they have on past albums. I sense a lot of rage in this song, but also the playfullness and sarcasm of others like Hooker with a Penis. I was left wondering, though, about the repeated references to lawyers being liars.

psims23
04-22-2006, 05:37 PM
I got into Tool during the Aenima days... my brother was really into em and I just couldnt feel what he felt. Until one day when I searched online and found the lyrics to the songs on the Aenima cd. I listened to the music whilst reading the lyrics and I finally "got it". The weird music finally made sense to me. Needless to say, been a fan ever since :)

Artistic Sickness
04-22-2006, 06:09 PM
I totally dig most kinds of music.. and when my friend introduced me to tool back just before Lateralus came out, i was kinda sceptical. Tool is a soundscape. There's so much in the music to take in. I, obviously, got into them... immensly.. and now listening to 10,000 Days, i kinda go back to the first listens i had of the band, and how it felt so overpowering... so huge.. like there was enough to get lost in. Well.. Garth said it best with: "It's like a new pair or underwear. At first it's constrictive... but after a while it becomes a part of you." So.. yeah. Tool is an aquired taste for most people... and those that aquire that taste tend to love em. I dont know many people who LIKE them.. they either dont really get it, or they love it. Whatever, its all cool. Kudos to those of us who "Get" (or whatever) the music.

Oh.. and i totally tried getting an old girlfriend into them.. its kinda hard... i dont think you can force Tool... they have to grow on you. Like a delightful fungus.

HolyReality
04-22-2006, 06:42 PM
pushit did it for me. so beautiful...thankfully my girlfriend now likes tool....I'd definitely break up with a girl if she was opposed to them.

Placid_Storm
04-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I'm not trying to chap anyone's ass with this post, I'm a pretty big Tool fan myself. But has anyone ever thought that Tool is like a cult?? I'm talking about the band/fan relationship. I'm just sayin.... I read this stuff about fans having "religious experiences" at concerts and shit. Plus the fact that Tool fans anticipate new albums as if they were the second coming of Christ.

Artistic Sickness
04-22-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm not trying to chap anyone's ass with this post, I'm a pretty big Tool fan myself. But has anyone ever thought that Tool is like a cult?? I'm talking about the band/fan relationship. I'm just sayin.... I read this stuff about fans having "religious experiences" at concerts and shit. Plus the fact that Tool fans anticipate new albums as if they were the second coming of Christ.

The Doors of the 21st Century.
I'd fuck Jim Morrison AND Maynard in a heartbeat. Heterosexuality be damned.

hbynoe
04-22-2006, 09:44 PM
oh yes
for sure
who dont get it
never will
and who does
are us

hbynoe
04-22-2006, 09:45 PM
pushit did it for me. so beautiful...thankfully my girlfriend now likes tool....I'd definitely break up with a girl if she was opposed to them.
me too

champion
04-23-2006, 08:32 AM

Sucks for them!

Woah... I think you need to, uh, not act like this.

champion
04-23-2006, 08:32 AM
This whole album, as said by Adam Jones, is about putting people in their place, and recognizing that we all have our own perceptions. You'd break up with a girl who you loved because she wasn't big on your favorite band?

grady
04-23-2006, 08:56 AM
brahaaaaaa.. you must a been high. do you just write here? read this forum and you would never write something like that again, even if you like to blow sugar in people's asses.

anyways. the pot is a killer of a commercial/dancefloor metal song. grrrrreat tune and i can't wait to hear it live.

Yes. I was high. But. Why don't you elaborate a bit.

Ashes-TO-Ashes
04-23-2006, 02:04 PM
What the fuck happened in here?

not_okay
04-23-2006, 02:24 PM

I loved Tool from the very first listen but it took a while to get my now ex-girlfrind to like them. She really hated the band mainly because of the dark imagery, she has (had?) a very classicist view on art....

...but one day i got her high and showed her the Parabola video. she's been a fan ever since.

Seethus
04-23-2006, 05:59 PM
Hahaha...pretty funny ^^
p.s Champion, it was a joke.

Yes, exactly. And its probably the most obviously mesmerising album for me, because its so varied in theme and pace. I love it ^^

tool/rush/mars
04-24-2006, 04:37 PM
My girlfriend loves tool. She is the most amazing girl EVER. I could never date a girl who didn't like Tool.

Oh yeah this song kicks ass

themayanlion
04-24-2006, 05:30 PM

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Something to be said for intelligence, talent, open mindedness, reason, creative ability off the scale, poignant poeticness, and just a group of good hearted men doing what they love most, expressing themselves and influencing and inspiring others in a positive way. Unfortunately, not everybody feels and understands that these are particularly important things when it comes to the big picture. So I think it is important that people who do, take their time and at least TRY to convey it to others. Of course, sometimes futilely, but definitely other times you get some results.

I think I've turned on about, near 10 people in my lifetime. Coolest one is my aunt, of course she was already intelligent and open minded, so Tool has just been an enrichment for her.

Yeah the album is that great... it's a classic. We will be giving our grandkids copies for Christmas decades from now. And well, The Pot... weirdest Tool song I'd ever heard at first listen... Most in your face, rocking, grooving, jamming, drive down the road with your heart pounding at 90 Tool song at about listen number 50. =)

05-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Yea i bought the tool cds (aenima and lateralus) on a 10 hour car trip....one of the best trips of my life mind you. And now i think i have decided that tool completeley ruined the radio for me. I can never hear a song that has as much thought as tool songs....so i just deem them unworthy and move on. SO SCREW YOU TOOL FOR DESTROYING THE RADIO!!! and thanks for making the most perfect music ever so i don't have to comb through the radio crap for the new stuff

hbynoe
05-03-2006, 03:27 PM
yeah ..i can remember when it clicked for me...
and i can say i dont know what was going on before that
tool is definitely a band that is very hard to get into. but when you
do you look back on your life and thank the fucking day
it all made sense to you...they pull you in...boy.

hbynoe
05-03-2006, 03:28 PM
My girlfriend loves tool. She is the most amazing girl EVER. I could never date a girl who didn't like Tool.

Oh yeah this song kicks ass
about not dating people who dont get tool....dude i fucking agree

avedic
05-04-2006, 07:02 AM

gasp! :(

yeah...my gf "likes" tool by her own admission but when i played the parabola dvd for her she hid behind the pillow at times saying it was too wierd...and she usually sighs when i play tool...though i guess i have been playing it aloooot as of late. anyway....i intened to indoctrinate her this summer at one of their shows. :) hehe/...

Dashel
05-04-2006, 02:44 PM
I don't think TooL is a cult though I'll be the first to admit that I've had 'religious' experiences listening to their music/shows. Difference is that cults are based on 'believe this' whereas TOOL's has been 'believe in nothing' (even though it is impossible). It is a bit of a religion though, without the middle man of course.

I couldn't be with someone who hated Tool, but they don't have to be as ga-ga as I.

amitface
05-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Tool fan's are pretty nuts. We have to admit it. Maybe not a cult, but pretty damn close.

Dashel
05-05-2006, 08:58 AM
I think by and large we are more counter-culture than a cult, per se.