PDA

View Full Version : Song begins with a death

sub_atomic
04-20-2006, 05:09 AM
The notes slowly intoning at the beginning are Maynard's mom's heartbeat registering on an EKG machine which ends at 1:05, followed by a few seconds of pause before the song proper.

Realizing this the second listen through gave me chills.

Rubb.
04-20-2006, 05:28 AM
how bout that.

Ultimatebdp
04-20-2006, 07:25 AM
I haven't heard it, but that's pretty intense!

Rosette feasted
04-20-2006, 07:42 AM
It's a lie!
Thats the gong!
I can't understand how everybody is seachign for the gong, it is SO FUCKING OBVIOUS!

sub_atomic
04-20-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, that might be the instrument being used, but I'm talking about what it REPRESENTS. It's as song about Maynard's mom dying and earning her "wings" through having been a good christian in the face of a a world gone godless.

s ti N Kfizt
04-20-2006, 09:39 AM
this sound is so beautiful, simple but amazing.. perfect sound to start one of the greatest tracks i've ever heard.. i mean both wings/days.

Athanatizein
04-20-2006, 06:08 PM
Hmm, yes- that noise struck me as significant, or at least interesting, the very first time I listened to the album and I've been considering the recurrence of that noise or something closely related in Vigniti Tres, but there, of course it is a dual circularity interspersed with those irregular... volcanic geysers or whatever. I believe them to be signifying something- of course, not necessarily the same thing, but... hmm. I'm thinking there is some mathematical significance to the timing of them in Vigniti Tres- they remind me of irregular pulsars (of course, there is no such thing by definition but...).

I remain adamant that there is some significant structure underlying this album- something essential to insight into the whole of Toolity.