PDA

View Full Version : another stinkfist metaphor

Grae
11-22-2002, 05:27 PM
I highly doubt that this was at all intentional, but I have found another metaphor in Stinkfist that applies to me.

Stinkfist describes my experience of Tool's music, both on the whole and for the song itself. It was the first song I ever heard by Tool, and it was heavier than anything I had listened to before.

_something has to change undeniable dilema
_boredom's not a burden anyone should bear

I didn't like it; it was too harsh and it hurt my ears, and I might never have listened to it again were it not some notes Maynard hit in the melody that sent shivers down my back. At that moment, it was the most beautiful thing I had ever heard and I listened to the song again.

_This will hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to
_Lay back, turn around and take my hand

This happened with almost every new Tool song I heard - i didn't like it but I had to keep listening, and eventually I grew to like them, then to love them, and then what was once too hard for me was the norm, and I couldn't enjoy other softer music as much because it didn't move me emotionally like Tool's music did. I was used to the intensity of Tool, and other stuff wasn't enough or satisfying anymore.

_constant over-stimulation numbs me
_but I wouldn't have it any other way

_It's just not enough I need more
_Nothing seems to satisfy
_I don't want it, i just need it
_To breathe, to feel, to konw I'm alive

The song doesn't fit this interpretation completely, but certain lines and themes fit it very well, especially the pre-album (1995) versions that were performed live. For example, in the pre-album versions, maynard says "i wouldn't have it any other way" instead of "i wouldn't want you any other way".

Tool took me from the stagnant superficiality of the music I had previously been listening too. I think i was able to make it past the initial 'pain' of listening to the music because of the moments of beauty, which were so achingly beautiful that they easily made up for the parts that hurt my ears. And later, that very duality between uglyness and beauty, hate and love, pain and comfort was what made me fall in love with the music and come to appreciate both equally. And now I love it all.

_I can help you change tired moments into pleasure
_say the word and we'll be well upon our way
_blend and balance pain and comfort
_deep within you 'till you will not want me any other way

The first time I listened to Stinkfist with this newly realised interpretation in mind, when he said 'deep within you 'till you will not want me any other way' i cried.

scorpioali
11-22-2002, 05:41 PM
when i first started listening to tool, i didn't like their music at all (the first album i bought of theirs was undertow). it was something that i had never heard before and it made me a bit uncomfortable. but i knew that i just had to keep listening to their music because it just captivated me so. i'm glad that i did keep listening, of course, because they completely changed my life and my thinking. stinkfist is my favorite song ever, it's absolutely amazing. it was the song that got me listening to the band, and man, i was so obsessed with this song, it was unbelievable. i recoreded on tape from the radio, and i freaking wore that thing out. but i can totally relate with you when you say that tool's music was too harsh to handle at first. i quite like the metaphor.

volcano lance
11-27-2002, 09:54 PM
Thats quite an interesting metaphor, grae. Tool wasnt harsh for me at first, but our situations were probably different. Its nice to hear that you enjoy the music so much.

Misoanthropos
11-28-2002, 02:07 AM
i actually got into tool because of the guitar riffs....i truly hated the vocals...

i don't now of course...heh

ViRii
11-29-2002, 10:59 AM
I was first introduced to tool by my girlfriend, who played me the opiate cd amongst other cds from different bands, all of which I grew to love. Before I met her I didnt listen to anything like tool, placebo, RATM etc, but now everything else seems to fade into insignificance. The first song I Liked was Opiate, and I didnt think much of Undertow album when I got that. Then she suggested I listen to eulogy, which I immediately liked, and it grew from there. For the first couple of months or so I didnt listen to Third eye, as it was 13 minutes long! and I thought it was just some guy on a guitar tripping on acid. How wrong I was. Third Eye is now my favourite song and has been for at least two years. Ive stopped listening to the radio, because it just plays no-talent commercial popgroup shit that helps prove to me just how naive the majority of the world (read : teenyboppers) is, and how much better I am just for listening to tool. Thankyou Tool, for allowing me to think for myself.

neo_taboolie
12-02-2002, 09:29 PM
Hey, I've never though about it that way...
This is great that everyone has the opportunity to give their opinions on one of the most influencial and greatest bands of all time.
I first got introduced to Tool through my father...
Would you believe it!? I guess their generation wasn't that bad after all in the music department.
The song that I recall for the first time was Eulogy (probably the intro) but Stinkfist was easily the first one that I enjoyed and savoured for a long time.
Well, I've taken this post about as far as I can.

"Third Eye is now my favourite song and has been for at least two years..."

I'm in full support of that statement, although I did put down Negative Ions as my favourite on the question thing, the only reason I did that was because it sounds absolutely unbelievable through powerful speakers... An experience I recommend (the windows were shaking in my house)!

Well, I've got more posting to do...