PDA

View Full Version : TOOL's Masterpiece????

Havokb8
04-20-2006, 01:50 AM
What do you think, is this the one, TOOL's masterpiece to forever be known? i think it might be, this might be the one, hopefully we have one more album, but this might be the one...So beautiful and emotional, i think this might be the one tool will be remembered for forever...........what do you think?

Jizzlobber
04-20-2006, 02:36 AM
What do you think, is this the one, TOOL's masterpiece to forever be known? i think it might be, this might be the one, hopefully we have one more album, but this might be the one...So beautiful and emotinal, i think this might be the one tool will be remembered for forever...........what do you think?

Mate. i just have to agree,
Third Eye and Lateralus have been my fav tool songs. But this song is as you tittled it a 'masterpiece.' were we expecting anything less?

In(di)go
04-20-2006, 02:39 AM
i think it just might be... this song really digs it's way under your skin...

Havokb8
04-20-2006, 02:43 AM
Third Eye and Lateralus have been my fav tool songs. But this song is as you tittled it a 'masterpiece.' were we expecting anything less?

no, of course we werent expecting anything less, but we just never envisioned how it would actually sound, now we know!!!!!!!!

Nebel
04-20-2006, 02:48 AM
I agree, that climax always gets me, incredible powerful and that solo by Adam about midway through that goes on for a while is fucking unbelievable.

svet-am
04-20-2006, 05:47 AM
i think that this song might be the masterpiece (if you include both parts). but a think that the album Lateralus is their piece de resistance.

RED_THE_HAT
04-20-2006, 05:50 AM
This song is definately up there. I'd hafta say that out of all the tracks on here, Rosetta, Wings, Jambi, and the Pot are the ones from this album that will really stick in our heads. that's my opinion anyway.

mattw
04-20-2006, 06:11 AM
I simply love how this song builds and builds and finally climaxes at about 8:20 onwards into 10,000 Days (Wings Pt 2).

I also like that this climax DOES NOT go over the top with a massive and fast-paced solo with heaps of drums etc. I think the solo it does feature and the 'climax' part suit the song perfectly. In terms of climaxes, I probably like Lateralus' (the song) more, but in the whole context of the song, the ending/climax of this 17min piece is just so appropriate... I simply love it!

This song is what I expected from Tool - an epic that is slightly different, but classic and timeless as well...

I played the entire album to 2 mates today and they just loved this track on their first listen...

It's also strange that although the song goes for a long time, it doesn't feel like 17 minutes!

I'm putting all my thoughts together and will post a full review of this album sometime soon - I just have heaps of uni shit to do!

Peace.

Metalhos
04-20-2006, 06:14 AM
wings part 2 sucks after minute 7:56.

Opiate_Mass
04-20-2006, 06:21 AM
i think that this song might be the masterpiece (if you include both parts). but a think that the album Lateralus is their piece de resistance.
yes it's the epic on this album, but Lateralus, i have to agree with you was their 'epic album'

Strife21
04-20-2006, 06:49 AM
This song in itself makes me think there is no way this album could be a hoax.

Bogart
04-20-2006, 07:04 AM
^This album is not a hoax...and yes, I believe within time, this song will be known as one of their mastrpieces.

LunarSpitfyre
04-20-2006, 08:20 AM
definate the best too song ever made....fucking orgasmic.......nothing beats it ...before this reflection was my favourite song but this fucking hit me as a brick in the face

sweetness

rednyne
04-20-2006, 08:40 AM
definate the best too song ever made....fucking orgasmic.......nothing beats it ...before this reflection was my favourite song but this fucking hit me as a brick in the face

sweetness

i am in the same boat... it was third eye, then it was reflection, and now it's wings pt.2... the message is just as beautiful as the music.

Sancho88
04-20-2006, 09:43 AM
This part makes me shiver every time...

You're the only one who can hold your head up high,
Shake your fists at the gates saying:
"I have come home now!

Fetch me the spirit, the son, and the father
Tell them their pillar of faith has ascended.
It's time now! My time now!
Give me my, give me my wings."

question93
04-20-2006, 09:44 AM
I am absolutely in love with this song. So triumphant.

chalimar
04-20-2006, 09:45 AM

"I have come home now!

Yeah, it's SO intense. The way Maynard sings it... beautiful.

Destiny'sDead
04-20-2006, 11:12 AM
It's also strange that although the song goes for a long time, it doesn't feel like 17 minutes!

Quoted for truth.

Garguantua
04-20-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah. This song is a masterstroke, for sure.

I'm a little curious how the mainstream listener will take it, if at all.

I'm not so concerned with the band getting #1 singles, or grammys et al, but I would like to think this song will open a lot of doors for Tool, and perhaps reach a part of the populace that eschews hard, difficult music. The more mature audience, I mean.
Jazz people, classical people, 70's era people. I think it will blow a lot of minds.

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 10:17 AM

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 10:18 AM

I'm not so concerned with the band getting #1 singles, or grammys et al, but I would like to think this song will open a lot of doors for Tool, and perhaps reach a part of the populace that eschews hard, difficult music. The more mature audience, I mean.
Jazz people, classical people, 70's era people. I think it will blow a lot of minds.
i agree

i have never heard anything like this
nothing close
the harmonics
arrangement
sentiment
honesty
from a band like tool..was expected
but not like this

this is i dont even know what to refer to it as

placidium
04-23-2006, 10:19 AM
this song is ONE tool masterpiece.

but no band i've ever heard has done anything this fucking huge.

dancingflame
04-23-2006, 10:20 AM
(-)ions is their masterpiece

hbynoe
04-23-2006, 10:22 AM
(-)ions is their masterpiece -ve ions kicks ass as background to weird films..:)

Dhalz
04-23-2006, 11:19 AM
I think its one of the best pieces of music that i have heard in years.

This could well become my favourite song, It has everything that I love tool for.

Ancalagon
04-23-2006, 11:25 AM
I think every band member contributed gracefully to this song. Maynard didn't overdo the vocals, Adam chose a David Gilmour rather than a Jimmy Page approach in the solo (of course, maybe that's because he couldn't even approach a Jimmy-like fast shred), and the drums and bass were very tasteful.

As a whole, the combined parts create an emotional masterpiece, because with this song it's really the lyrics that get you.

Behemoth
04-23-2006, 11:34 AM
I got the exactly opposite reaction. It sounded way too long to me at the first listen (and I like long songs)... but it's doesn't really matter, the "Give me my wings" part is orgasmic. This song really is a masterpiece...

RepelHistory
04-23-2006, 12:12 PM
I laughed when I first saw this thread, because when I first heard the song, my first thought was, "This is Tool's masterpiece." It may not be my favorite song, it may not be their most musically complicated song, it may not even be the best sounding song, but it's definitely the song through which Maynard reveals himself the most. It definitely affects me emotionally much more than any other Tool song. I would go so far as to call this their most "artistic" song. Depending on your definition, that could make it their masterpiece. I would argue that it is.

Elite
04-23-2006, 08:40 PM
I would give ANY amount of money to be able to express myself through music like Maynard can; genious.

henri_ds
04-24-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm listening to this song while there is a storm outside, where I live...simply amazing song.

CallofCthulhu
04-24-2006, 08:23 AM
What do you think, is this the one, TOOL's masterpiece to forever be known? i think it might be, this might be the one, hopefully we have one more album, but this might be the one...So beautiful and emotional, i think this might be the one tool will be remembered for forever...........what do you think?

Tool's masterpieceS are Third Eye, Disposition-->Reflection-->Triad

henri_ds
04-24-2006, 08:35 AM
I don't understand why people are so fond of Reflection...it's an OK song for me. I find the drum pattern....so.....repetitive ! sorry.

turok2step
04-24-2006, 08:44 AM
I would give ANY amount of money to be able to express myself through music like Maynard can; genious.

A very intelligent man once said "Do what thou willst shall be the whole of The Law." Your will has more power than anything money can buy.

cabledude27
04-24-2006, 07:28 PM

"I have come home now!

Ditto and the other part is the "High as a wave, but I'll rise on up off the ground.
You are the light and the way, they'll only read about. I only pray, God knows when to lift you out. Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, you're going home."

macfreak
04-24-2006, 09:40 PM
I think its one of the best pieces of music that i have heard in years.

This could well become my favourite song, It has everything that I love tool for.
Just beautifull

hbynoe
04-24-2006, 11:00 PM
Ditto and the other part is the "High as a wave, but I'll rise on up off the ground.
You are the light and the way, they'll only read about. I only pray, God knows when to lift you out. Ten thousand days in the fire is long enough, you're going home."
yes...to both the reposts of link
i sing it out loud with my fist in the air
and my throat ceasing all the time

Snakedragon
04-25-2006, 06:22 AM
jones' guitar solo in this song absolutely sucks

LiLponyAddiction
04-25-2006, 06:32 AM

I second that.

ArizonaBay
04-25-2006, 07:35 AM
It might be... if the riff wasnt the fucking x files theme

CallofCthulhu
04-25-2006, 07:41 AM
jones' guitar solo in this song absolutely sucks

Hey, better than the H solo. That one's worse than the worst high school kid's guitar solo.

tiryth
04-25-2006, 09:26 AM
agreed - i would never pick favourites but at the moment, this is the track i go to first when i play the cd (and to clarify, my friend was given a promo copy and has leant it to me until May 2nd)

Snakedragon
04-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Hey, better than the H solo. That one's worse than the worst high school kid's guitar solo.

imo the wings solo just sounds like random noodling

acsguitar
04-25-2006, 01:15 PM
This song reminds me of a cross between "The Wall" and "Meddle"

deftone
04-25-2006, 03:03 PM
Wow, this song is great but IMHO it doesnt touch disposition/reflection.

layersbeyondimagination
04-25-2006, 03:09 PM
ditto.
not enough maynard all out passionate singing, i feel like he's holding back.

"you were my witness, my eyes my evidence, judith marie, unconditional one"

such a beautiful line and i wish he belted it out but he sorta holds himself back i feel like.

completetool
04-25-2006, 03:25 PM
This song is a masterpiece, but not the masterpiece.

mmortal03
04-25-2006, 04:05 PM
Wow, I didn't realize so many people had Tool's ambient/avant-garde/less structured stuff as their most favorite. I do like that stuff too, but I dig their more structured progressive-type songs more. What I mean by that is, it has something to do with a consistant intricate rhythm drive from Danny. Much of Lateralus has it, including Reflection. Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned, for example, don't have it as much. I really think it has to do with which direction Danny takes it. On Third Eye, the drumming seems much more random, not that it isn't good, I just dig his busier more structured stuff than his stuff that is spread out.

On 10,000 Days, his drumming is similar to the style of Third Eye and Rosetta Stoned, like this solo jam-type lightly tapping around. The drumming isn't as distinct and specific as my favorite songs of theirs. It still shows he has great depth and talent, obviously.

WitlessLiar
04-25-2006, 05:49 PM

I like that thought. However I think that ever sine ÆNIMA they've deserved it :)

I really enjoy how they're music is pleasurable on so many levels. From what it sounds this album is more sophisticated than Lateralus (specifically Reflection), and that's just making me itch. I read this forum to get background before I listen when I get my cd, and I'm really getting excited. But I digress... I think that this music is good when you first listen to it, it's great when you learn the background info on it, and it's even better when you hear it a lot. And I love the balance they've created and how they can make a four person band so complex and sophisticated.

Natalie Portman
04-25-2006, 08:20 PM
This is certainly up there. I mean, like WAY up there.

evfain
04-26-2006, 05:08 AM
this song is ONE tool masterpiece.

but no band i've ever heard has done anything this fucking huge.

Wings is incredible and all but honestly... I was more floored the first time I heard Lateralus. Plus if you listen close, the climax of this song is almost the same note progression as the one from Lateralus' climax as well, with the timing changed a bit. Basically, from 4-6minutes 10K Days is the best thing they've done, but the climax and the end doesn't work as much for me as the other epics (Third Eye, Pushit Live, Lateralus, even Reflection)

reflection11
04-26-2006, 09:33 AM
ditto.
not enough maynard all out passionate singing, i feel like he's holding back.

"you were my witness, my eyes my evidence, judith marie, unconditional one"

such a beautiful line and i wish he belted it out but he sorta holds himself back i feel like.

I feel the exact same way about maynard holding back at that part. The only thing that comes to my mind in maynard's defense is he didn't want to over-power the rest of the instrument parts... I think with repeated listens I'll figure out exactly why he did what he did.

smeefsmeef
04-26-2006, 03:04 PM
I like that thought. However I think that ever sine ÆNIMA they've deserved it :)

hey, How'd you get that AE combo when you typer "ÆNIMA ?" (I copied and pasted... )

dynarec
04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
Great song, although parts of Adam's minimal guitar solo ruin it, almost like he's afraid to be showy, just follow the bass. All in all though I reckon this is almost as much of an epic as "3 days" by Jane's Addiction.

WitlessLiar
04-26-2006, 03:57 PM
hey, How'd you get that AE combo when you typer "ÆNIMA ?" (I copied and pasted... )
ALT+146, ALT+145 for lower case (numbers on the numpad).

smeefsmeef
04-26-2006, 04:13 PM
ALT+146, ALT+145 for lower case (numbers on the numpad).

didn't work for me

smeefsmeef
04-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Æ... nevermind... I needed the Nem Lock on... thanks. Æ Ænima!!!!!!
<"{{{><

smeefsmeef
04-26-2006, 04:15 PM
Num Lock

cold and faded anger
04-26-2006, 04:17 PM
you guys make me excited to hear the new album...very excited.

orb
04-26-2006, 04:29 PM
you guys make me excited to hear the new album...very excited.

I'm curious about what your impressions of the album are, without having heard it. Because I think its safe to say that this album is nothing like what you expect, even with all this pre-info from those of us who have heard it.

viral
05-02-2006, 07:11 PM

I agree with you right now, but I have a feeling that this song is going to grow on me really soon.

If any of the songs on 10,000 Days surpass Reflection, I think this will be the one.

Steventh
05-02-2006, 07:44 PM
I'm still trying to let the whole album sink in (I just bought it earlier today, didn't download any leaks), but at this point... 10,000 Days is my favorite song on the CD.

lemonlateralus
05-03-2006, 01:51 AM
Lets all be serious for one moment. Sure Adam's is not a great guitarist from a technical standpoint,but does any of the technicality matter when his playing is based apon emotion.Case in point, solo to third eye...easy by playing standards and yet always has me wanting more. I think the people who moan aout tool from the standards of one members skills are quite frankly shortsighted. Its the cohesion of the band that helps create the beauty and emotion i love.

Slash's solo-november rain...pretencious musical mastibation
Adam's solo-Third eye...emotive,but perfectly fitting; simple yet beautifully complex.

Barto
05-03-2006, 02:50 AM
It took me a few listens to get some of the new songs, track 4 in particular. But Christ! It is a masterpiece, I wont go as far as saying its there best song, as I honestly cant pick a favourite song from all of there albums. But Wings pt 2 is unreal to say the least.

msbtool
05-03-2006, 03:22 AM
Wings and 10000 days was immediatly my favorite song on the new album. All it took was a couple listens and once through the lyrics and it stood out more so than any other. I wont go as far to say it is my favorite all time, that honor still rests on about 30 different tool tracks. As for the climax line, im sure if they play these songs live, maynard will be so worked up that he'll belt it out like we all want to hear it. I understand what yall are saying about the solo, but i think it goes well for the song, and we all know tool is about the composition and having all of the peices fit together rather than showing off.

blafuckbla
05-03-2006, 05:57 AM
Most spiritual song ever. Period.

Volrath
05-03-2006, 06:03 AM
As far as I'm concerned, yes. Yes it is.

Huff
05-03-2006, 06:11 AM
And the ending part:

Set as I am in my ways and my arrogance
Burning all through, tossed upon the believers
You were my witness, my eyes, my evidence
Judith Marie, unconditional one!

Holy crap Justin starts playing full chords on the bass (one of my favorite things from a bass player).....this is friggin' unreal....better than Pushit..

bloodydecember
05-03-2006, 10:22 AM
I love this song purely for the fact that this is really really close to maynard's heart. Its his mother's eulogy (as far as im concerned) and other than Judith and 3 Libras (APC of course) we dont really get anything very personal from Maynard. A trully emotional song, regardless of how people say this album lacks emotion. Imagine singing this at your grandmother's funeral and tell me that it doesn't have emotion.

Spear
05-03-2006, 11:20 AM
Is it bad that when I heard the tragic news of Maynard's mother's death in 2003 I had a twinge of excitment for the beauty that this event would evoke from an artist like Maynard, especially when accompanied and connected by the rest of the band as amazing as Tool? I know that as artist our art reflects where we are and what happens to us. I couldn't wait or imagine the kind of powerful piece of art such an event would bring forth. I was looking for it on APC 13th step and I didnt see much of it. Im so glad Maynard has shared his acceptance and battle with his mother's death with all of his fans by creating this masterpiece in response to it. Judith would be proud. Thank you, Maynard.

martyr_02
05-03-2006, 11:33 AM
wings along with 10,000 days is definitely a masterpiece. Is it their piece de resistance? Who knows. Maybe they change it for the live version and it gets even better. I think that eventually yes they will be remembered for it. There is too much raw emotion in it for it not to be.

jercyn
05-03-2006, 05:12 PM
It's a beautifull emotional song, there isn't more to say

IC
05-03-2006, 06:01 PM
when i first heard this, i thought it was long and drug out..even though i liked it. i dont know how many listens it took, but today, it clicked.

this is just so amazingly beautiful, from the last 3 chords on Pt 1 to the climax..solo..lyrics...god. I actually feel sad after listening to it and no one else seems to feel as moved as I do..i wish they could feel the same. Most of you do, it just seems a shame not everybody can love something so much.

The Dark Jester
05-03-2006, 06:32 PM
I wont go as far to say it is my favorite all time... As for the climax line, im sure if they play these songs live, maynard will be so worked up that he'll belt it out like we all want to hear it.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I think if they do play this live we will most definitely see more raw emotion from Maynard, I mean look at the subject matter. I agree with previous posts that it did seem as if he was "holding back," but it was a was good observation that someone posted, to say that he may having been doing it to not overpower the instruments and lessen their impact. Overall amazing song, but I agree that both Wings & 10,000 days have to be played together for the whole effect.

bloodydecember
05-03-2006, 07:20 PM
Listen to this song while driving at night through the country alone, with the windows down and the volume up; not necessarily blearing but loud enough. I will garuntee that it will be one of the most peaceful and spiritual moments you've had in a while. This song reminds me of my grandmother, almost to the point where I'm in tears. It's the first track I go to when I plug it in and I always feel the need to give it one more listen before I take it out. I've had the cd for a day and I feel like it's the only music I've listened to in my life.

msbtool
05-04-2006, 12:33 AM
i agree with whoever said that the song doesnt feel like it lasts 17 minutes. I think wings goes by at a regualr pace, but 10000 days fells like 5 minutes tops.

4degrees_under_fire
05-04-2006, 06:58 AM
10,000 Days is by far one of the most powerful songs I've ever heard Tool do. It is also the most emotional, almost entirely because of its deep personal connection to Maynard. Now, I'm not saying that none of the other songs they've done aren't emotional (that would be a total lie), but I feel that it is their most emotional one to date.

For as much as I enjoy this song- as it is quickly turning in to one of my favorites- I cannot help but feel the same as many of you seem to. There are several parts of this song in which Maynard seems to be holding back. The lines, "You were my witness, my eyes my evidence, Judith marie, unconditional one," just happens to be the most noticable. It would be nice to hear Maynard sing it with more force than what he did here. Overall, though, the entire band did an amazing job at expressing the emotion not only through the lyrics, but through the instuments as well.

mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 08:24 AM
I hope all of you realize that Maynard began as a stand-up comedian. I'm sure you all know this, as you are notorious for looking into every detail of every lyric, riff, and personal history of the band members. What you have most likely failed to connect though, is that Maynard is screwing with you all. He has been for 15 years now. None of this means anything to him. It's all an elaborate joke twisted up into a social experiment of throwing all sorts of random mystical elements into a song, juxtaposing them with tribal drums and weird time signatures, and seeing what kind of profundity the knuckleheads find. I personally think it's hilarious.

Volrath
05-04-2006, 08:35 AM
I personally think it's hilarious.
To bad you're not.

Dear Brena
05-04-2006, 08:35 AM
This song reminds me of a cross between "The Wall" and "Meddle"
tool totally picked up where the floyd left off, there image, there images...ie,
in the wall pink is in the chair out side, starts to thrust forward and back, turns into the pink face...then after the whole shaving incident, walking down the hall
he turns into something adam would.....create....OH, now i see, but hey...
i love it...!!!

Dear Brena
05-04-2006, 08:38 AM
I hope all of you realize that Maynard began as a stand-up comedian. I'm sure you all know this, as you are notorious for looking into every detail of every lyric, riff, and personal history of the band members. What you have most likely failed to connect though, is that Maynard is screwing with you all. He has been for 15 years now. None of this means anything to him. It's all an elaborate joke twisted up into a social experiment of throwing all sorts of random mystical elements into a song, juxtaposing them with tribal drums and weird time signatures, and seeing what kind of profundity the knuckleheads find. I personally think it's hilarious.
um, kinda, their still musicians...being one myself, theres total artistic elements,
of course we all know he is a joker....anyway.

stateofsatori
05-04-2006, 08:54 AM
I'd say if I had to rank all bands that are making music right now, Tool might crack the top 20 as far as the technicality of the music. I know too. I'm a musician as well.

Cataclysmic42
05-04-2006, 08:55 AM
One of the things which blows me away about this song is how Maynard's voice changes into a guitar chord. That gets me everytime.

mike tyson
05-04-2006, 09:00 AM
I'd say if I had to rank all bands that are making music right now, Tool might crack the top 20 as far as the technicality of the music. I know too. I'm a musician as well.

This guy is serious fucking business.

Listen when he speaks.. errr.. types.

stateofsatori
05-04-2006, 09:00 AM
One of the things which blows me away is the utter ineptitude of all your fruitless interpretations!!!

stateofsatori
05-04-2006, 09:01 AM
Tyson, you magnificent son of bitch. You are all over the place!

Hey man...what is that picture of in your thing. Is that you dude?

paraflux
05-04-2006, 09:03 AM
One of the things which blows me away is the utter ineptitude of all your fruitless interpretations!!!
Here's an idea, why dont you post your own then instead of just telling everyone how much better than all of us you are.

mike tyson
05-04-2006, 09:04 AM

It's Blair.

blair's man sausage
05-04-2006, 09:04 AM

oh and that picture in my thing is really me...

eddie75
05-04-2006, 09:05 AM
You've got issuses

TOOLEK
05-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Definitely a masterpiece, when I play this song to my friends who don't listen to Tool, they are all influenced by it. And for me, it's a great journey (especially listening to it together with Wings..), it has so many emotions included. I love it!

stateofsatori
05-04-2006, 09:11 AM
i don't know who Blair is.

bms...you are the funniest person of all time! that's maynard you silly bitch!! ha ha ha. wow. i've never heard a joke that funny.
now here's an idea: give yourself about 30 seconds to think of some witty way to insult me for not knowing blair. Write it out in your shit ass little cubicle. Post it. Then pat yourself on the back for being such a little corporate whore genius.

eddie75
05-04-2006, 09:12 AM

bms...you are the funniest person of all time! that's maynard you silly bitch!! ha ha ha. wow. i've never heard a joke that funny.
now here's an idea: give yourself about 30 seconds to think of some witty way to insult me for not knowing blair. Write it out in your shit ass little cubicle. Post it. Then pat yourself on the back for being such a little corporate whore genius.
Did you not get enough love as a child?

mike tyson
05-04-2006, 09:13 AM

Blair is the guy who updates TOOLBAND for Tool.

He writes all that esoteric junk that everyone hates so much.

He's a good man, imo.

identitat soldat
05-04-2006, 09:15 AM
I love how you guys turn the 10,000 = masterpiece thread into a poop flinging contest. Good job everyone.

eddie75
05-04-2006, 09:16 AM
We do our best

stateofsatori
05-04-2006, 09:21 AM
no. my parents never loved me as a child.

Blair looks a little bit like Alex Jones. that's who i thought it was at first. bms...you genius...do you know who alex jones is?

eddie75
05-04-2006, 09:22 AM
no. my parents never loved me as a child.

Well that does explain why you're such an ass.

mike tyson
05-04-2006, 09:22 AM
Quick Google Image Search yielded... (http://www.cloakanddagger.de/images/guests/alex_jones.jpg)

They don't really look alike.

blair's man sausage
05-04-2006, 09:27 AM
i'll get back to you stateofsukori....i'm to busy patting myself on the back

stateofsatori
05-04-2006, 09:30 AM
i love you mike tyson. i love you like a brother.
will you be my internet friend?

tool_fan
05-04-2006, 09:32 AM
i'll get back to you stateofsukori....i'm to busy patting myself on the back

LOL

Boys will be boys -- isn't that what they say?? ;-)

Peace. or Peas. either one.

stateofsatori
05-04-2006, 09:34 AM
that = crappiest comeback of all time.

also "to" should be "too". did you ever take any English classes?

blair's man sausage
05-04-2006, 09:37 AM
too=also

so it should be:

i'm also busy patting myself on the back? wtf, is english your third language...now let me get back TO patting myself on the back cocksmoker

mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 10:03 AM
None of this matters. You're all just objects, little rats in Maynard's sociological thesis on the gullible meathead scum of the planet. When he is remembered in history, it will not be as a great musician or philosopher, but simply as a kick-ass sociologist who conducted one of the biggest, most successful experiments in history on what happens when a patchwork quilt of nonsense music, gullibility, drugs, and low IQs meet.

mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 10:08 AM
Screw Tool. Death Cab For Cutie and Belle & Sebastian 4-Ever!

blair's man sausage
05-04-2006, 10:14 AM
And BMS, you're especially retarded. As much as I loathe Satori like the rest of you, he's right. You didn't say "TO patting myself," you said "TO busy patting..." It should be TOO. And you should receive a Missouri jailhouse-style beatdown

i'd prefer a philly jailhouse-style beatdown if that's ok with you...and i want it to take place on May 17....is that cool ?

paraflux
05-04-2006, 10:18 AM

probed for this and for being a general troll (an enlightened troll who has mastered the arts of zen is still... a troll)

blair's man sausage
05-04-2006, 10:18 AM
None of this matters. You're all just objects, little rats in Maynard's sociological thesis on the gullible meathead scum of the planet. When he is remembered in history, it will not be as a great musician or philosopher, but simply as a kick-ass sociologist who conducted one of the biggest, most successful experiments in history on what happens when a patchwork quilt of nonsense music, gullibility, drugs, and low IQs meet.

oh and how many times are you gonna post this so i can just scroll over all of your comments ahead of time...i think we got it the first 3 or 4 times....kthx

mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 10:20 AM
Holy crap, BMS. Did you seriously just tell me in code that you want to be r-ped by Maynard when he comes to Philly? If so, dude, that's cool I guess if that's what you're into. I wouldn't worry too much about it, though, since that's been happening forever anyway whenever you listen to a Tool song. It's called a mindf-ck. Scroll up.

mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 10:28 AM
Nevermind, I take it all back. I'm too scared at the thought of being "probed" by some dude named Paraflux in the back seat of a Chevy to continue on. Nevermind. I love Tool. Maynard is my BFF 4-eVeR!!!!! :) :) :)

H..
05-04-2006, 10:32 AM
guys guys..tool...10,000 days..beauty personified in some hybrid spiritual/audible journey that transcends you from the inner womb of a dying mother into her maternal creation creating some sort of personal redemption through his eloquence, his desire to pay homage...bla bla
anyway guys, great song, lets build on how good it is instead of the tit for tat

blair's man sausage
05-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Clearly you haven't "gotten" it, because you're not down on your knees, weeping, and thanking me for finally freeing you, opening your Third Eye. And I've posted that only once. Douche. But you are TOO cool for school.

btw, did you know that maynard got his start as a stand-up comedian? let's see how many times you can post that? or we're part of this big social experiment of his....i feel so enlightened by your knowledge...i'm actually impressed you can type

go back to shelbyville

mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 10:35 AM
I love you, BMS. Holy cow, I really really love you!

mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 10:38 AM
And you too, H, you luvable lunk! (this is me rubbing my knuckles affectionately across your head). I don't know about everyone else, but you are certainly my personal redeemer through your eloquance! You sir, are beauty personified. I love you so much.

blair's man sausage
05-04-2006, 10:40 AM
I love you, BMS. Holy cow, I really really love you!

as long as you won't try and ass rape me too...wait..or is it to? oh yeah too....shew...still sore from that last beatdown

mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 10:45 AM
Oh, you :) I would never try to do that. My love is much much deeper than that.

blair's man sausage
05-04-2006, 10:50 AM
i love 17 minute long songs!

mjk_is_rfg
05-04-2006, 10:54 AM
:)~

Pierrou
05-04-2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah, this piece of music, the two tracks I mean, is really awesome ! This is Tool, long, intense, changing, intense, breathtaking, everything you could dream of in a Tool song.
I don't remember hearing much "real sound" samples in Tool songs before, but on this one, the thunder and rain stuff is really good, blends perfectly with the music

blair's man sausage
05-04-2006, 11:23 AM
all hail lustmord and his ability to conjure up wicked storms...

mattyjax
05-26-2006, 05:50 PM
I don't understand why people are so fond of Reflection...it's an OK song for me. I find the drum pattern....so.....repetitive ! sorry.

relfection is a masterpiece- friggin goosebumps

bloodydecember
05-26-2006, 05:57 PM
I agree with the drums being repetetive, I am a drummer myself. I like the song for the lyrics and the message. If you just close your eyes and listen to it it feels like you're on a journey.

formerlycontent
05-26-2006, 06:14 PM
this could maybe be the 3rd single if accompanied by a really deep & emotional video

bloodydecember
05-27-2006, 09:47 AM
I dont know. It's not toolish enough for a single, i think. Dont get me wrong, I'm not bashing the song in any way; I love it. I'm just saying that I doubt it would be released as a single.

JudasChrist
05-27-2006, 10:12 AM
I can't agree more. I loved this song the first time I heard it. Must be one of the most epic songs I've heard in my life, and it proves that the whole "epic" feeling has nothin to do with swords, dragons, fuckin Manowar and various other Conan wannabes.
But I would also say that "Third Eye" stands in the same throne with this one, and "Eulogy" with "Lateralus" follow behind.

As for the whole album, I think that it's really better than the "Laterallus" record, but "Aenima" still stays their magnum opus. Dunno, it's the feelings. After I heard "10,000 Days", "Lateralus" as an entity seemed to "little". But NOTHIN is more euphoric than listenin to Maynard sayin "We need the fuckin space to nail the next fool martyr" or screamin bout the openin of the thrid eye.

"10,000 Days" just helped music as an art form evovle one step further. Ha. In like, 10 years or more, Tool will be up there with Led Zeppelin and all these glorious dudes. Or maybe, it's wrong to think that way: Cause Tool is somethin different! And it belogns in a different and unique plane of expression, where nobody else can enter.

Nikola Petrovic
05-27-2006, 10:18 AM
Manowar is epic? Swords and dragons? wtf?
Thats the furthest you can come from epic.. stop playing world of warcraft

Anyway, yeah. There is no song with more atmosphere and feeling than reflection. It instantly sucks you in and become a part of the song. It has always been my favourite

JudasChrist
05-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Manowar is epic? Swords and dragons? wtf?
Thats the furthest you can come from epic.. stop playing world of warcraft

Well, that's exactly what I said, fellow. That stuff like Manowar is not epic.
Dunno, are my english that bad? Cause they're not my native language.

win
05-27-2006, 12:00 PM
i am in the same boat... it was third eye, then it was reflection, and now it's wings pt.2... the message is just as beautiful as the music.

perfect explanation of it the progression

dmoney11
05-31-2006, 08:21 PM
I tjink it's the best thing tool has ever done. Period.

æmoeba•°·.
05-31-2006, 09:51 PM
all of Tool's songs are masterpieces, Third - Eye, masterpiece, Reflection, Masterpiece...i could go with every song because all of their songs are seperate or together in such an intricate way....

STORMCROW1031
06-01-2006, 07:57 AM
THIS IS DEFINITELY A MASTERPIECE!!
As far as for what I'm guessing you're terming "X-files" - sorry, but that is a beautiful piece of work - how it circles around and kinda seems desperate to get somewhere but can't.
This song gives me full body chills.
Yep, up til now Reflection was my favorite - but this one....oooooooooooooooooooo.
And for you technical peoples who can't listen to music anymore - music is more about emotion than anything and this piece goes beyond stirring, it makes me sit up straight and speed on the Parkway.
I'm a big fan of Classical music, Stravinsky was my favorite until I discovered Tool.... Stravinksy I have no doubt, would be inclined to agree...
MASTERPIECE! YES! I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT ONE!!! I DON'T CARE IF IT TAKES THEM 10 YEARS!

original f/x
06-01-2006, 10:38 AM
"masterpiece"? maybe...... soundchecked in belguim...most definitley...they are gonna play it very soon if they are sounndchecking it....i want to be there when it happens

tooltomus
06-02-2006, 03:44 PM
It wasn't until I really sat and listened to the song while reading the lyrics that I realized what a great f-n song this is. Maybe not "the" masterpiece, but near the top three.

Krys Nyteshade
06-04-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm a relatively new fan, but this was the first song by them that gave me goosebumps and made me go "Wow, this is amazing...". My faveourite song on the album, for sure, and probably my faveourite by them. It really sold me on Tool, from being "Yeah, they're really good." to "TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!". Pardon the exclamation.

bloodydecember
06-04-2006, 05:20 PM
i think sober was the first track by Tool I ever listened to. It got played on the radio and it was one of the those things where you have to go out and get the cd just to get the song out of your head. Sober isnt my favorite by any means but it does hold a spot in my heart for popping my tool cherry. Now 3 albums later we have 10k Days. It's amazing that these guys are pushing their middle ages and they can still hook in fans with only a couple listens.

hellenkellerkarate
06-05-2006, 07:12 PM
i wish i had a burito. also, hot sauce. is that included? wait, where am i? HELLO? where's my cell phone?

shyfly
06-22-2006, 01:29 AM
i like this song

DumbestToolFan
06-22-2006, 05:17 PM
I think one of the best things in the song is the thunder.

dook43
06-27-2006, 12:28 PM
A very intelligent man once said "Do what thou willst shall be the whole of The Law." Your will has more power than anything money can buy.

Satan?

zed91
06-29-2006, 04:09 AM
To me it is their masterpiece. The emotions that come from this song are so powerfull, really impressive

Snakedragon
07-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Justin's basslines in this song are fucking phenominal.

He himself has admitted it was extremely difficult to record correctly.

SpiraMirabilis
07-12-2006, 01:50 PM
The reason 10,000 days is a masterpiece is to start with a very simple idea, the three dissending notes of the a-minor triad, and expand on it thoughout the song. While doing this, Tool is able to create thousands of different emotions and relese them near the end with a fantasticly well timed climax. I´m sorry I hav´nt explained this very well, but there is somthing in this song which I am unable to put into words.

Its just breath taking and amazing!

The same applies to Reflection... they are both masterpieces.

I´ll try to look into it in depth another time, because there are some secrets I would love to be able to use myself.

walkerw8
07-12-2006, 05:42 PM
And that's the great thing about great music, you don't have to know anything about descending notes of an A-minor-triad, or any other triad for that matter, to appreciate it for it's greatness.

[quote]i think that this song might be the masterpiece (if you include both parts). but a think that the album Lateralus is their piece de resistance.[quote]

For me the piece de resistance would be Ænima. After all these years it's still my favorite, and 46&2 is still my favorite song. Saying I have a favorite Tool song, though is like 46&2 is 1a and most of all the rest are 1b. In their entire catalogue their might be only one song that doesn't really do anything for me (Bottom) it never has. I'd probably rank 10,000 days, the album slightly behind Ænima and slightly ahead of Lateralus.

This song though, is really amazing in sooo many ways (I'll go ahead and call it a, but not the, masterpiece), and as for Maynard holding black, I find no fault in that. He's into his early 40s by now and for some reason, if he is indeed intentionally holding back (which I can't say I'm sure he is) it might have something to do with the fact that it's a eulogy to his mother, as strange as that may sound.

ktdude
07-12-2006, 11:43 PM
Justin's basslines in this song are fucking phenominal.

He himself has admitted it was extremely difficult to record correctly.

Yeah man, they are really really kick ass. Have you tried to play them? Impossible, it will take a long time to master no doubt.

This song is the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. It makes me feel different to anything else I have ever heard. If they play it live and I manage to be there, even if only once, I don't think I will be the same person afterwards.