PDA

View Full Version : A FEW STRANGE POINTS ABOUT THIS SONG

RED_THE_HAT
04-20-2006, 12:42 AM
Before I say anything more, I just wanna say that in no way whatsoever am I badgering them, I love this album, and I love this song.

Ok, I have never, ever heard any mistakes in any tool songs, like anything out of tune, anything like that. Here is what I found in this song.

1:40 - When the guitar kicks back in, it seems that the bass is actually out of tune, by maybe about half a semitone.

3:29 - It sounds as if Danny mis hits on the snare before the roll, if you listen carefully, you can hear the rim being hit.

I know I am picking at incredibly small things here, but it is very strange for Tool to have any mistakes in anything they do. i didnt find this cuz I was looking either, I jsut thought it was a little strange is all.... flame away....

Rubb.
04-20-2006, 01:02 AM
ITS JUST FUCKIN RAW MANG!!!

RED_THE_HAT
04-20-2006, 01:19 AM

hahahha!! true to that! true to that!!!

F!end
04-20-2006, 01:29 AM
Ridiculously minor details....

Jimmeny
04-20-2006, 02:22 AM
The one thing that I don't like about this song is the pointless obviousness of some of the riffs. There's a whole difference between 'who cares if it's totally groundbreaking as long as it sounds good' and 'using an overused chord progression in an unimaginative way'. The last 50 seconds of this song really let it down for me.

I actually really like Maynards new vocal style in this, it suits the riff, and the verse grooves are really powerful, there's something beautifully catchy about the song, but then they just stick in an obvious riff and it's all gone.

Lagomorph
04-20-2006, 02:36 AM

roflmao

and yeah, musta been high.

bonus.cheese
04-20-2006, 02:50 AM
Kangaroo.

FistFck
04-20-2006, 03:19 AM
this is supposed to be their "blues" album, which means they can make mistakes.

greg vs greg
04-20-2006, 05:33 AM
if you listen with really good headphones during maynard's little solo in the intro, you can hear a VERY faint "echo" of it, but it comes in a split second BEFORE he actually sings it. odd.

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-20-2006, 06:27 AM
if you listen with really good headphones during maynard's little solo in the intro, you can hear a VERY faint "echo" of it, but it comes in a split second BEFORE he actually sings it. odd.

could it be reverse echo?

guitarpete987
04-20-2006, 06:52 AM
could it be reverse echo?

You know, I first heard this on my last listen when I had it cranked. I've always thought it sounded like some kind of effect was applied to the intro a capella thing. Maybe the really soft one is maynard's unaltered singing voice, somehow captured ambiently, and the one we actually hear on the record is the post-effects version. Hmm.....

I'm most likely totally wrong...

Nevvermind183
04-20-2006, 07:02 AM

Dude, I heard the echo in my truck while i was driving, its not too hard to catch.

praefector
04-20-2006, 08:15 AM
being out of tune makes it even more hardcore

ProdigyDub
04-20-2006, 09:47 AM
The drum thing isn't an error I don't believe. I could see why it might sound like that, but most likely it isn't.

Viginti Tres
04-20-2006, 02:10 PM
they must have been high

bozziodrummer000
04-20-2006, 02:22 PM
hitting the rim a little adds to effect...gives it a little punch ...doubt its an error

Nonduality
04-20-2006, 02:27 PM
hitting the rim a little adds to effect...gives it a little punch ...doubt its an error

unless you're bill cobham

erazorhead
04-20-2006, 06:39 PM
they must have been high
agreed

vesica_piscis
04-21-2006, 02:43 AM
1:40 - When the guitar kicks back in, it seems that the bass is actually out of tune, by maybe about half a semitone.

He plays a fretless... could be a bit flat in parts. Don't ya generally hit them a little flat and bend em into place? Fretless players - can ya answer this?

drone007
04-21-2006, 03:56 AM
overthinking, overanalysing... :) how bout you just enjoy this masterpiece for what it is. either that, or you musta been high to hear that shit haha.

Tyson
04-21-2006, 03:57 AM

What, I hear this on my piece of crap computer speakers.

Tyson
04-21-2006, 03:58 AM
You know, I first heard this on my last listen when I had it cranked. I've always thought it sounded like some kind of effect was applied to the intro a capella thing. Maybe the really soft one is maynard's unaltered singing voice, somehow captured ambiently, and the one we actually hear on the record is the post-effects version. Hmm.....

No, this was my immediate thought as well.

dark_Speedo
04-21-2006, 05:14 AM

Wrong. He stays in D blues the whole time, perfectly in tune.

As for the drums, i don't hear what you're talking about.

OG-Whoop
04-21-2006, 08:43 AM
Before I say anything more, I just wanna say that in no way whatsoever am I badgering them, I love this album, and I love this song.

Ok, I have never, ever heard any mistakes in any tool songs, like anything out of tune, anything like that. Here is what I found in this song.

3:29 - It sounds as if Danny mis hits on the snare before the roll, if you listen carefully, you can hear the rim being hit.

I know I am picking at incredibly small things here, but it is very strange for Tool to have any mistakes in anything they do. i didnt find this cuz I was looking either, I jsut thought it was a little strange is all.... flame away....

Lay off the ganja, man... there's nothing wrong in either of those spots.

guitarpete987
04-21-2006, 09:05 AM
No, this was my immediate thought as well.

Glad to know I'm not alone he he.

megadan
04-21-2006, 09:45 AM
He plays a fretless... could be a bit flat in parts. Don't ya generally hit them a little flat and bend em into place? Fretless players - can ya answer this?

It's somewhat common to hit a note flat and slide into it, sort of like a very quick vibrato... but it's usually done for specific effect, or if you mess up :P

Ancalagon
04-21-2006, 12:05 PM
This is just a jam here, like a blues band. And, other than Adam (whose creativity makes up for his lack of virtuosity), there are very few other bands who can jam like this. I'd honestly say that no popular band since Zeppelin and Floyd could actually even perform this song. You will never see Staind cover The Pot.

insaner
04-21-2006, 03:14 PM
This is just a jam here, like a blues band. And, other than Adam (whose creativity makes up for his lack of virtuosity), there are very few other bands who can jam like this. I'd honestly say that no popular band since Zeppelin and Floyd could actually even perform this song. You will never see Staind cover The Pot.

lol. im not sure any band ever could cover this musically except maybe dokken. oh wait, i think they did it already. its called mr scary. of course, to do it live....

Madrid
04-22-2006, 12:07 AM

It must be late, I busted out laughing hysterically.

Califlower
04-22-2006, 11:01 PM

I don't know what "version" you guys have...

But I'm going to say I've heard this kind of stuff in other music files before. I really doubt the real CD is going to have this... I think it has something to do with the files and not the real music. MP3's have warbly echo in the background. SOME, i repeat, SOME M4A's have something similar... I don't think this is on the realy album...

Clutch it like an AEnima
04-22-2006, 11:56 PM
I don't know what "version" you guys have...

But I'm going to say I've heard this kind of stuff in other music files before. I really doubt the real CD is going to have this... I think it has something to do with the files and not the real music. MP3's have warbly echo in the background. SOME, i repeat, SOME M4A's have something similar... I don't think this is on the realy album...
hes right ...the echo is the result of the crappy quality of the leaked album

Bongzilla
04-23-2006, 01:08 AM

Yes, it is called a rimshot.

A rimshot is the sound produced by hitting the rim and the head of a drum at once, with a drum stick. Rimshots are usually played to produce a more accented note, and are typically played loudly. However, soft rim shots are possible

delysid
04-23-2006, 02:53 AM
You can actually hear him use this same vocal effect during parts on like 3 other songs on the album...its just some kind of weird reverse echo or just an underlying vocal track or something....like the weird vocal shit going on during the ending of "Lateralus."

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-23-2006, 03:54 AM
hes right ...the echo is the result of the crappy quality of the leaked album

they put reverse echo effect on the vocals. i think. i could be wrong though

beat me to it, read post right above me cause obviously i didnt

Seethus
04-23-2006, 08:49 PM
And, other than Adam (whose creativity makes up for his lack of virtuosity)
You have succesfully sounded like a pompous ass. I will be awaiting your superior guitar playing, mr virtuoso...unless, you will withdraw your statement and stop being a hypocrite?
Adam Jones is one of the most creative yes, but hes also just a plain fucking awesome guitar player. And Im sick of people trying to criticise him. Its the 3rd criticism Ive seen today of him, I cannot fathom how this is possible, unless they are better?

Virtuoso - A musician with masterly ability, technique, or personal style.
Hmmmmm .....

Seethus
04-23-2006, 08:50 PM

tyroneslothrop
04-23-2006, 10:26 PM
You have succesfully sounded like a pompous ass. I will be awaiting your superior guitar playing, mr virtuoso...unless, you will withdraw your statement and stop being a hypocrite?
Adam Jones is one of the most creative yes, but hes also just a plain fucking awesome guitar player. And Im sick of people trying to criticise him. Its the 3rd criticism Ive seen today of him, I cannot fathom how this is possible, unless they are better?

Virtuoso - A musician with masterly ability, technique, or personal style.
Hmmmmm .....

I don't think it is reasonable to expect someone to be able to play better than a given guitar player in order to criticize that guitar player. Look at Jazz band leaders... they don't play all of the instruments necessary for an ensemble but they still need to be able to tell their musicians when they suck. My old band had a guy that used to just hang around while we practiced. He didn't play a single instrument but he was great at telling us when we sucked or when we sounded great and just generally giving us advice.

Listen to Joe Pass's album entitled "virtuoso" ... I think we can all agree that Adam Jones' technical abilities are nowhere near Pass's. I think it best if "virtuoso" remained a term for people like Pass, not Jones. It is arrogant to talk as though you are better than Jones' if you really aren't. But I see nothing wrong with simply stating the fact that he isn't a technically amazing guitar player.

cliff
04-24-2006, 04:17 PM
The one thing that I don't like about this song is the pointless obviousness of some of the riffs. There's a whole difference between 'who cares if it's totally groundbreaking as long as it sounds good' and 'using an overused chord progression in an unimaginative way'. The last 50 seconds of this song really let it down for me.

I actually really like Maynards new vocal style in this, it suits the riff, and the verse grooves are really powerful, there's something beautifully catchy about the song, but then they just stick in an obvious riff and it's all gone.

When you learn how to put music together and make it sound good enough to make alot of money doing it, let me know. I'd like to hear someone as talented as Tool and it sounds like you think your on your way. So tired of listening to fools complain about licks and riffs and drum rolls and vocals. If your so amazing quit wasting your time complaining and give us some music. Your a dumbass to critique music when you obviously know shit.

tool/rush/mars
04-24-2006, 04:24 PM
Dude, I heard the echo in my truck while i was driving, its not too hard to catch.

I heard that the first time i listened to the song, it's obviously intentional. It adds depth to the vocal. No big deal.

jackfriday
04-25-2006, 03:46 AM
When you learn how to put music together and make it sound good enough to make alot of money doing it, let me know. I'd like to hear someone as talented as Tool and it sounds like you think *your* on your way. So tired of listening to fools complain about licks and riffs and drum rolls and vocals. If *your* so amazing quit wasting your time complaining and give us some music. *Your* a dumbass to critique music when you obviously know shit.

"you're" not "your"
"you're" not "your"
"you're" not "your"
don't they teach contractions in utah?
and this is coming from someone in birmingham, alabama.
it is your (notice the proper usage?) language...
learn to use it.

HolyHandgrenade
04-25-2006, 08:21 AM

When dealing with a bunch of perfectionists, it's very hard to believe that there would be mistakes on the album. They have literally hundreds of chances to play a certain part, it makes no sense that they would just settle for anything less than perfect, especially given their history. I'm not saying that they don't make mistakes live, Danny has said people would be surprised how often they screw up. But on the actual album? Unlikely at best.

16fingers
04-25-2006, 08:37 AM

yes, usually thats the way to sort of "slide into" a note, but you can totally tell the difference in waves if he was that far off. i don't think he made any mistake, its their music, who the fuck is anyone else to say they fucked up.

mousersix
04-25-2006, 09:01 AM
this is supposed to be their "blues" album, which means they can make mistakes.

says who?

WilliamGraves
04-27-2006, 04:37 AM
Could be a layer of reverse echo's. When i make music i sometimes stack echoes on top of eacother till I get my ideal "Hollowness"

mcmurray
04-27-2006, 04:56 AM

Now that's a textbook example of a non-causal signal.

LeMarchand
04-27-2006, 04:58 AM
I didn't think Justin used a fretless? Any decent pics of him with it floating around?

Absent Mind
04-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Danny Carey doesn't make mistakes.

tiryth
04-27-2006, 11:50 PM

dont tear the guys apart - theres nothing better than raw music - why do you tink bands are so much better live

cranstonman
04-28-2006, 12:18 AM
being that this is a fan site I am amazed by the amount of sarcasm, and the amount of complete assholes that should ust go to a virtual ego chatroom to make themeselves feel better, or just shoot themeselves and be on with natural selection.

Oberon
04-28-2006, 12:59 AM
CRANSTON I'M STALKING YOU

Rubb.
04-28-2006, 01:30 AM

RED_THE_HAT
04-28-2006, 03:18 AM
dont tear the guys apart - theres nothing better than raw music - why do you tink bands are so much better live

Yeah, I aint tearing them apart, i jsut thought it was a little unusual is all. Band are great live, because it gives people an element that they cant hear or see on the record, but all in all, I just thought it was a little strange is all....

WeatherChange80
04-28-2006, 09:26 PM

Led Zeppelin does the same thing on "Whole Lotta Love", during the "waaaaaay dooowwwwwwnnn insiiiiiide" section. It's no accident, especially given the VERY Zep-ish riff that comes in at 3:13.

(first ever post btw... the new album rocks, and 'the pot' is no exception)

Blanket_509
04-28-2006, 09:39 PM
there's no point in trying to guess what post effects they use in the studio. When I record, I invent tricks that are pretty much impossible to guess from the finished product. And I'm sure Tool's engineers have alot more tricks than I do.

Alex in Chains
04-29-2006, 08:43 AM

What, like a quarter tone?

Ardhanarishvara
04-30-2006, 02:07 AM
"you're" not "your"
"you're" not "your"
"you're" not "your"
don't they teach contractions in utah?
and this is coming from someone in birmingham, alabama.
it is your (notice the proper usage?) language...
learn to use it.

hahaha you're such a purist jack, but then again i am a bit too.

Whether the listed odd spots in the song are intentional or not, they sound great. If they are intentional, it's another example of how much attention to detail Tool put into their music. If some of those things are accidental, it's a great reminder that the bandmembers are just humans, not superhuman entities that we sometimes percieve them to be.

Camo23
04-30-2006, 02:59 AM
Danny Carey doesn't make mistakes.

I agree, Danny DOES NOT make mistakes!!!

Are we getting a little too picky here?

eulogist
04-30-2006, 06:19 PM
Yes, it is called a rimshot.

A rimshot is the sound produced by hitting the rim and the head of a drum at once, with a drum stick. Rimshots are usually played to produce a more accented note, and are typically played loudly. However, soft rim shots are possible

thank you mr. dictionary man

seriously don't assume that noone knows what a rimshot is since most tool fans are musicians anyway and hitting the rim on accident and doing a rimshot are two very different sounds

jasonchristopher
04-30-2006, 08:34 PM
You might want to consider that if you're only hearing this on the leaked version that it might be because it was a rougher and maybe incomplete mix of the album. From what I hear the actual CD is of much better quality. Just a guess.

Neuk77
05-02-2006, 12:26 PM
If I remember correctly. When Danny Carey did the interview in Modern Drummer when Lateralus came out, he had talked about laying down the drum tracks all in one take. He said it would take 3 or 4 times to get what he wanted. Also, I've read another interview where he talked about never using a metronome or click track. This is something unprecidented in recording an album. I've never heard of another drummer not using a click. Given those two pieces of information I would suspect that there are going to be "inconsistancies" in just about every song. NO musician is perfect. "Mistakes" happen in every song. It just depends on how you look at them. Personally, I like the fact that he records in this way, giving the song a chance to breath and not caring if one, almost inaudible, "mistake" happens. It's the overall feel that matters. But that's just my two cents on the subject.

Huff
05-02-2006, 12:34 PM

This is called "tape print through". In this case it's more than likely done intentionally. Go have a listen to Whole Lotta Love by Zeppelin. What happens when you/'re recording to analogue tape is that you record something and then the tape gets stored on the reel. For 2 inch analogue tape the amount of time that elapses by the time the reel goes around once is a second or so....and what happens is from sitting there the audio has literally "printed through" to the next round of tape....thus the audio coming through slightly before the real thing.