PDA

View Full Version : Thought it sounded familiar

eSoul
04-19-2006, 08:52 PM
Well, this will be my first post onto the board, so hello you all, and thanks for welcoming me in, ill try not to break anything.

Anywho, upon listening to this track for the first time, at about 1:09 or so a riff begins. Now, I dont know how to recognize instruments very well, but I think its a guitar. Well, I had downloaded a TOOL concert a while ago and had been listening to it in my normal rotation of music and the band plays Lateralus at this pariticular show. Well, before Lateralus actually begins, they play this same riff. Im not trying to make some type of meaning connection or anything, just thought it was slightly humorous that I had been listening to this song and not even known it.

Anyway, my first post is complete, hope my stay was bearable.

Scrunzset
04-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Welcome, eSoul. Actually, this has been discussed before, but good ear! They usually do this for future songs... they play the origins as little diddys before playing their known material.

Such as: during the Aenima tour, you can hear them play the beginning of "The Patient" when Maynard's making his speech about what song they were going to do next (which was Aenema).

F!end
04-19-2006, 09:31 PM
Such as: during the Aenima tour, you can hear them play the beginning of "The Patient" when Maynard's making his speech about what song they were going to do next (which was Aenema).

I wanna hear that! =P

Synergy
04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Well if we hear anything "interesting" on this new tour it could be from the next album.

tgist2
04-19-2006, 11:52 PM
Well if we hear anything "interesting" on this new tour it could be from the next album.

Let's all just hope there will be a next album. At the rate they're going, Maynard will be almost fifty by the time it comes out.

Sagacious Foetu
04-20-2006, 05:35 AM
how can they already have new material for the album after 10,000 Days? they just write like 50 songs or at least riffs/intros to songs and like release those over time or something? that doesn't make sense!

i guess, though, they did it for this song on the lateralus tour.

HookerWithPenis
04-20-2006, 08:15 AM
how can they already have new material for the album after 10,000 Days? they just write like 50 songs or at least riffs/intros to songs and like release those over time or something? that doesn't make sense!

i guess, though, they did it for this song on the lateralus tour.

during the writing process bands have a ton of shit "leftover" that they dont use and thus they work with it over time and develop more around it and just because they have a tracklist that they have to record doesnt mean that they are not thinking of new material all the time.

Sea of Lies
04-20-2006, 09:18 AM
I actually think the idea for that riff, playing it live and in this album now came from making the cover from Peach's You Lied... just the guitar version. And maybe when adam first played it live was before starting You Lied, and then followed by Justin with the normal version..