PDA

View Full Version : Virginti Tres Surround sound

6:00..Bhaal
04-19-2006, 08:22 PM
When i heard this song first it was through crappy computer speakers, but later i burned it and listened to it through my band's surroundsound system in the dark.

The song becomes so much more powerful, and induces absolute fear.

You can feel the bass notes as the spaceship noises move all around you.
It gives a different view on the song, and ends the album on a really dark note. Not that it started light.

fuckthat
04-19-2006, 08:31 PM
i made the mistake of giving my first listen to this album in the dark, in my bed, through some pretty badass computer speakers. i dozed off sometime near Intension, and i'll tell you, i just about pissed myself when Viginti Tres woke me up.

i highly recommend it.

Agent_202
04-19-2006, 09:53 PM
i'll give it a whirl

a big stupid dumbass
04-19-2006, 10:32 PM
At the very end of the Album there is an evident feeling of everything slowing down to an end. As if something very large is stopping.

Systolic
04-19-2006, 10:34 PM
At the very end of the Album there is an evident feeling of everything slowing down to an end. As if something very large is stopping.

Like.. Tool.

Yep. I think this is the last album.

Neil
04-20-2006, 12:11 AM
I think that the track attempts to induce some sort of change in your brain state. Alot of Tool's music has a transcendental quality to it, especially with the polyrhythms and often spiritual, esoteric lyrics.

There's a weird god-like roar/voice which is perhaps in enochian?

If you listen to it in surround sound, you can hear a sort of 'burning' noise at various 'physical' places in your imagination. Occasionally this burning sound is directed to your amygdala/pineal gland/third eye.

I wouldn't put it past them. :-)

orange.juice
04-20-2006, 05:23 AM
if you like that track, i highly recommend Autechre to you. Their music is not that creepy, but it works basically the same. Repetitive synth noise, subtle rhythms. this will find its way into your brain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autechre

orange.juice
04-20-2006, 05:25 AM
There's a weird god-like roar/voice which is perhaps in enochian?

i think it's german.

Was ist daaaa? (What is theeeeeere?)

or

Was ist daaaaaaaa...s? (What is thaaaaaaaa...t?)

ROSETTA STONER
04-20-2006, 08:52 AM
When i heard this song first it was through crappy computer speakers, but later i burned it and listened to it through my band's surroundsound system in the dark.

It gives a different view on the song, and ends the album on a really dark note. Not that it started light.

I agree! I listened to it on my surround system at home and I felt like I was in a Buddhist Temple! The album reminds me of Alice in Wonderland. Vicarious is the ground level and Jambi is the hole in which you fall and begin your journey. Then the last track it sounds like you are coming back and waking up. I don't know thats what I take from it.

Ertai
04-20-2006, 09:44 AM
. Vicarious is the ground level and Jambi is the hole in which you fall and begin your journey. Then the last track it sounds like you are coming back and waking up. I don't know thats what I take from it.
i like this idea... i think of each song as a different hole

04-20-2006, 10:46 AM
i think it's german.

Was ist daaaa? (What is theeeeeere?)

or

Was ist daaaaaaaa...s? (What is thaaaaaaaa...t?)

play it backwards

"viginti tres"

Spiralman
04-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Like.. Tool.

Please never never never post anything again. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Me

something_Dark
04-20-2006, 05:41 PM
play it backwards

"viginti tres"
what does that mean? is it latin

Fulcan
04-20-2006, 05:45 PM

yes, it means 23

i made the mistake of giving my first listen to this album in the dark, in my bed, through some pretty badass computer speakers. i dozed off sometime near Intension, and i'll tell you, i just about pissed myself when Viginti Tres woke me up.

i highly recommend it.

I used to listen to Lateralus everynight when I went to bed through my surroundsound and FDO did the same exact thing to me, finally I just made a new playlist and removed the song from it. Jesus, I had to put plastic sheets on my bed again...not that they ever came off....

sampowers
04-20-2006, 05:53 PM

i highly recommend it.

Haha, I was in my office (good computer speakers with a good sub) in my comfy chair and fell asleep during intension too, but woke up during right in two and decided to actually go to bed.

Athanatizein
04-20-2006, 06:15 PM
If you listen to it in surround sound, you can hear a sort of 'burning' noise at various 'physical' places in your imagination. Occasionally this burning sound is directed to your amygdala/pineal gland/third eye.

You might want to check up on your neuroanatomy.

s ti N Kfizt
04-21-2006, 02:42 AM
if you haven't listened this song with good headphones, do it.. becouse especially the end voices feel like they'd be inside my head and stuff.. creepy track.

MacFoley
04-21-2006, 04:09 AM
yes this song with headphones on is heavy.

really dark way to end the album indeed.

a great end to a great album.

04-21-2006, 07:45 AM
i actually found myself looking over my shoulder listening to this track. felt like something was moving behind me.

bigtard
04-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Like.. Tool.

They are becoming old men (at least in the entertainment world).

hbynoe
04-22-2006, 03:10 PM
yes initially on my bad speakers i was terrified
i cant imagine how it would be on surround sound

bogsnarth
04-22-2006, 03:35 PM
there are tons of other posts in this subforum about it..

imo it simply can't be "viginti tres" because there are no long "a" sounds.. as i said in one of those other threads, if i can trust my high school latin, viginti tres is pronounced something like "wee-gain-tee trace" with an accent on the 2nd syllable of viginti.. a friend of mine who has studied latin a bit more than i have agrees with me on that..

orange.juice
04-22-2006, 07:55 PM
more like
vi: like you say the letter "v".

gin: like the drink, but with a "g" like in "gain". friggin'

ti: just "t"

tres: pronounced much like "thres"hold, but with a rolled or german "r" after the "t", "tr" instead of "thr". Not natural for english people. ...und keine Eie"rrr", or imagine how an Italian would say Ma"r"io

seneca77
04-22-2006, 08:04 PM
in 5.1 on klipsch speakers and a 12" klipsch sub, this reveals how it is a perfect end to this album. very creepy, and like every song tool has made, it made me FEEL something.

bogsnarth
04-22-2006, 09:20 PM
more like
vi: like you say the letter "v".

gin: like the drink, but with a "g" like in "gain". friggin'

ti: just "t"

tres: pronounced much like "thres"hold, but with a rolled or german "r" after the "t", "tr" instead of "thr". Not natural for english people. ...und keine Eie"rrr", or imagine how an Italian would say Ma"r"io
"v" in latin is either a w or a u.. there is no hard v.. in english we tend to use the "v" we're accustomed to, so we say, for example, "veni vidi vici" but the actual latin is with w's.. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_pronunciation

as that page indicates, modern english and roman pronunciation varies, and both languages tend to use "v" sounds as well as "u" or "w" sounds, depending on the context..

but you are right about the "gin".. i was unsure about that and my friend said he was fairly sure it was a long a sound, but the wiki page has refreshed my memory.. so it's either "geen" or "gin," and "gin" seems more natural.

but i still can't hear "wee-ginn-tee trace" backwards.. even if you're right and the "e" in tres is short instead of long, i just don't hear it.

Window Licker
04-23-2006, 02:31 PM

Sorry, but it's only recorded in stereo.

seneca77
04-24-2006, 07:11 AM
stero or not, dolby pro logic can place discrete sounds in all channels

Herald42
04-24-2006, 09:44 PM
"v" in latin is either a w or a u.. there is no hard v.. in english we tend to use the "v" we're accustomed to, so we say, for example, "veni vidi vici" but the actual latin is with w's.. see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin_pronunciation

Depends on which Latin you're taught, from what I understand. The Ecclesiastical way teaches one way, and the original Roman way teaches another. We got beaten repeatedly in the head with this in Catholic School Latin -- that not all teachers would teach the same. One teacher I had teach it as a "V" as in verdict. The other had it as a U or W.

I remember the pronunciation, and "Sempter Ubi Sub Ubi," and that's about it. In any case, I haven't tried listening to it backwards, but I'm going to have to try that tomorrow.

bogsnarth
04-25-2006, 03:21 PM
lol you said boobie

Wingedson
04-26-2006, 03:17 PM
I got the distinct feeling that this track evokes unpleasant beings into existence. I don't like it and I don't understand why Tool would do something like this. The "voice of god" on Lateralus had similar effect, without the evocation. Very confusing why a band with such spiritual abilities and concepts would unleash something like this unless it is one hell of a warning. I don't understand why they would do this unless it is a warning, the track brings about some nasty shit. There was a definite presence in my home after playing this track. I realize this may sound bizzare and not possible to some of you, but it was real enough for me. I had to banish that fucker immediately. So, to me its a warning of the forces in this world that are currently in power on earth, and a sign to change and grow to move past being influenced by them. Every Sephiroth has its Qlippotic counterpart.

bogsnarth
04-26-2006, 03:47 PM
"In this book it is written of the Sephiroh and the Paths, of Spirits and Conjurations; of Gods, Spheres, Planes, and many other things which may or may not exist. It is immaterial whether they exist or not. By doing certain things certain results follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophic validity to any of them."
-crowley, magick in theory and practice

Wingedson
04-26-2006, 10:59 PM
Interesting point. My statement was a seeming, and is it stands it seems to have happened.

TXFO
04-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Sorry, but it's only recorded in stereo.

W3rd. no 5.1 or DTS signal found.

hushypushy
04-28-2006, 09:27 PM
stero or not, dolby pro logic can place discrete sounds in all channels

pro logic does not create discrete channels of surround. pro logic spreads a stereo signal out to surround. discrete channels are what dolby digital/DTS has.

seneca77
04-29-2006, 10:43 PM
pro logic does not create discrete channels of surround. pro logic spreads a stereo signal out to surround. discrete channels are what dolby digital/DTS has.

i did not say that it creates discrete channels of SURROUND.

i said it creates discrete sound in ALL channels. and it does.. notice i said CREATES.

it can take a 2.1 sound and remake a 5.1 sound.

KingSigy
04-29-2006, 10:58 PM
This may just be Tool using the remixes of their Lateralus singles to effect. If any of you got the DVD's of Schism and Parabola, two of the remixes use low stereophonic sounds to create a sense of fear within the listener. Its creepy stuff actually.

Sven
04-30-2006, 08:45 AM
With surround sound, this track seems to have a strange effect on my two boys, who are 2 and 4 years old. When it comes on after "the monkey song", they start running around screaming "the space ship is coming, the space ship is coming" and get very excited. LMAO.

Wingedson
04-30-2006, 10:15 AM
With surround sound, this track seems to have a strange effect on my two boys, who are 2 and 4 years old. When it comes on after "the monkey song", they start running around screaming "the space ship is coming, the space ship is coming" and get very excited. LMAO.

Just a suggestion, but you might not want to subject them too heavily to this particular track.......

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 10:44 AM
yeah, or else the evil devil beasts might come out of your stereo and eat them.

RiffBP
04-30-2006, 11:36 AM
wingedson has a point. everything has a spirit behind it whether it be positive or negative, good or evil, of god or satan. we all perceive the spiritual realm differently, but regardless of our perception, it's a very real world. children tend to be more perceptive and impressed upon by this stuff, but they also tend to not understand it as well. adults have the opposite tendency. it's a very subjective topic and i think a discussion better suited for another area of the forums with fewer trolls. like anywhere BUT the 10k days forum.

Visceral9
04-30-2006, 11:38 AM
This track sounds like the apocalypse........fierce winds blowing across a scorched earth. In that context, it's quite a pessimistic follow-up to Right in Two. I like it.

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 02:04 PM
wingedson has a point. everything has a spirit behind it whether it be positive or negative, good or evil, of god or satan. we all perceive the spiritual realm differently, but regardless of our perception, it's a very real world. children tend to be more perceptive and impressed upon by this stuff, but they also tend to not understand it as well. adults have the opposite tendency. it's a very subjective topic and i think a discussion better suited for another area of the forums with fewer trolls. like anywhere BUT the 10k days forum.
i'm not trolling, i just think the idea that a song on a cd is capable of conjuring spirits or whatever is ridiculous.

magick, as i understand it, is mostly about will and most magickal experiments are self-directed.. i'm sure there's an argument for "action at a distance" type magick, but even if one assumes such things to be possible, the idea that it could be done via a recording (a la "evil dead" where the recording of the guy reading from the necronomicon summons the evil spirits) is comical to me.

RiffBP
04-30-2006, 03:18 PM
i'm not trolling...

it's cool man, i wasn't really talking about you anyway. it's just that atmosphere on the boards it seems has been REALLY hostile, especially in the 10k threads. while you may be able to have a perfectly civil conversation on the topic, sadly, there are a ton of small-minded individuals that have sprung up who are just bent on being total dicks.

bogsnarth
04-30-2006, 05:35 PM
very true.

i think part of the reason i never posted here in the past was because i saw too much stuff like that.. but i love 10000 days too much not to discuss it with people, and none of the places i usually hang out at like to discuss music.. or at least not music like tool. so i can handle the people who are just being dicks.. plus it seems like a lot of them are meeting the WRATH OF PARAFLUX.. at least when he notices them.. ;)

Sven
05-01-2006, 06:37 PM
You're right! My children get equally excited when they hear "I like to move it, move it" during the sinister animated film "Madagascar." Perhaps they are more perceptive than I give them credit. I'll have to be more careful, and skip this track in their presence in the future. thank you for the advice!

pseud0
05-01-2006, 07:38 PM
yeah, it sounds cool on surround sound system (the pulses switching from front to back etc), but personally i think they should have made this a secret hidden track (at least do the minus time thing like they did for faiip de oipiod)... it would have added to its mystery - the album could easily end with right in two (or another short melodic track)

viginti tres just doesn't have enough to it imo... although when it gets to the part where the wierd voice comes in (anyone figure out what it says?) it gets pretty scary

Bodhi
05-02-2006, 04:04 PM
"I am GoD MuThErFuCkEr!!!" The words are clear. Just listen.

Sklander
05-03-2006, 01:08 PM
Like.. Tool.

I hope you're wrong, but this is what I thought also when I heard the last track. Is the lyrics "the system is down" a sign that this is the band's last work of art? It surely crossed my mind.

Bodhi
05-05-2006, 06:21 PM
I hope you're wrong, but this is what I thought also when I heard the last track. Is the lyrics "the system is down" a sign that this is the band's last work of art? It surely crossed my mind.

Stop being so negative.

seneca77
05-05-2006, 08:34 PM
a discussion better suited for another area of the forums with fewer trolls. like anywhere BUT the 10k days forum.

could not agree more

escapeme
05-06-2006, 05:49 PM

All I can say is 'WOW' when I listened to it through my surround sound system and in the dark. Gives a whole new side to this song and gave me the chills. The beginning of Wings For Marie is also heart stopping through surround sound, not that the entire song isnt anyway but just that much more!

mike09
05-06-2006, 06:48 PM
All I can say is 'WOW' when I listened to it through my surround sound system and in the dark. Gives a whole new side to this song and gave me the chills. The beginning of Wings For Marie is also heart stopping through surround sound, not that the entire song isnt anyway but just that much more!

Yeah, I listened to this last night through my headphones. I never really appreciated it until now. It's actually a really interesting track.

seneca77
05-06-2006, 09:58 PM
try hearing this on an awesome surround sound system with bass that can dip as deep as this song intends. creepy is not the word.

more like a "possesion"

escapeme
05-07-2006, 10:19 PM
try hearing this on an awesome surround sound system with bass that can dip as deep as this song intends. creepy is not the word.

more like a "possesion"

A bit of advice... Dont let the little ones hear this one. It was playing on my comp and my son came running in freaked out and scared of the song. Oops! Had to come up with a creative story for that one. But yes, creepy isnt a strong enough word!

sp4cem0nkey
05-08-2006, 01:20 PM
With surround sound, this track seems to have a strange effect on my two boys...

When I first read this, I thought you were talking about your _other_ two boys... you know, the ones down south...

LMFAO!

Lukas
05-08-2006, 01:40 PM
"una infinitas
abominatio nascitur autumno
hic est tuum temptamen quod temptat tua potentia
viginti tres gradus ad summam potestatem"

"One infinity
Abomination (or 'horror') is born (or' begins') in autumn.
Here(or ‘this') is your trial which tests your potential
Twenty three steps to the greatest power”.

Xylasider
05-08-2006, 08:50 PM
The song is kinda creepy I'll admit

But not to dull down TOOL...But to me the voice kinda just sounds like a Darth Vader type voice saying "The Sister"...as in Leyah.

Probably not...but that was my first reaction when I heard it

martyr_02
05-08-2006, 11:01 PM
this song almost made me shit the bed when i first listened to it at night. Like others i woke up, or rather was woken up, by that ominous voice. Fuck, still gives me shivers.

JOK3R
05-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Like.. Tool.

why are you here?