PDA

View Full Version : This doesn't jive with the rest

reign3
04-19-2006, 07:26 PM
Vicarious doesn't seem to fit with the rest of this album. It's subject matter, it's production, it's structure...nothing seems to fit. I happen to love this song, and most on this album, but it just doesn't feel like it belongs. Any thoughts?

voleurz
04-19-2006, 07:28 PM
i thought this to but i love it like that.

Florida_Mike
04-19-2006, 07:34 PM
eh, I think we had heard it separately for a few days so it's hard to piece it back into the bigger picture. On a side note, I listened to Vicarious for bit the other day, then went straigh into Lateralus. It was weird, The Grudge sounded like it had been slowed down...very odd.

Seethus
04-19-2006, 09:01 PM
But then again, do you want it to? Do you really want each song to fit perfectly into each niche?
FUCK NO.
Its the explosive first track of the awesome album 10,000 years! ^^

bighand99
04-19-2006, 10:37 PM
I agree

Tyro
04-20-2006, 07:29 AM
Personally, and thankfully for myself, I find this song to be the worst on the album. I still love/like it though.

paraflux
04-20-2006, 07:55 AM
Vicarious doesn't seem to fit with the rest of this album. It's subject matter, it's production, it's structure...nothing seems to fit. I happen to love this song, and most on this album, but it just doesn't feel like it belongs. Any thoughts?
I agree. It stands out as being a little more... perfect in its precision.

Tyro
04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Perhaps Tool figured this song would do well on the radio do to its easy digestability and blunt lyrical content?

I mean, no other song (I dont think The Pot would fly) would work as well as a radio single, so they created this as a safe track to release to the airwaves.

Thoughts?

selevä
04-20-2006, 08:09 AM
At parts reminded of Schism. The ending of this song is indecredible.

Rotating_Energy_Field
04-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Judging by some of the things that Adam said in the Guitar World interview I don't think that they really thought about radio airplay/singles while they were making this record so perhaps it's just naturally different from everything else.

I've always thought that the singles from "Aenima" didn't really fit together with the rest of the album in a conventional way either. Think about it; "Stinkfist" and "Aenima" are both fairly uptempo rock songs while other songs like "Eulogy", "Jimmy", "Forty Six and 2", "Pushit" and "Third Eye" are all slower, darker and more progressive.

amitface
04-20-2006, 08:47 AM
I don't know, when I heard Jambi kick in right after the brutal ending of Vicarious, it kind of worked.

blair's man sausage
04-20-2006, 08:48 AM
i think vicarious is a great segue, if you will between Lateralus and 10000 days...many elements of the former brings you straight into the latter

blair's man sausage
04-20-2006, 08:51 AM
Perhaps Tool figured this song would do well on the radio do to its easy digestability and blunt lyrical content?

I mean, no other song (I dont think The Pot would fly) would work as well as a radio single, so they created this as a safe track to release to the airwaves.

Thoughts?

i think the pot will be the next single...

dvnt
04-20-2006, 09:16 AM
i think vicarious is a great segue, if you will between Lateralus and 10000 days...many elements of the former brings you straight into the latter

That's how I like to think of it.

hbynoe
04-20-2006, 01:56 PM
i think that maybe vicarious is the song to transistion us from
lateralus to 10,000 days
some of the familair some of the new...but then it gives way and makes the way
for what 10,000 days has to offer
i love that they made it #1 it coudn't fit anywhere else

hbynoe
04-20-2006, 01:56 PM
i agree :)

right_in_three
04-20-2006, 02:57 PM
I do agree that the end of Vicarious flows perfectly into Jambi.

But it seems really like a leftover Lateralus song. Which isn't bad because I still loved it. Did anyone else notice the sweet whammy on the bass on the spacey intro riff?

dracomordag
04-20-2006, 03:27 PM
vicarious comes beautifully out of viginti tres and goes perfectly into jambi

gtfo