PDA

View Full Version : For those of you that love this song

Alcawhorlick
04-19-2006, 06:56 PM
I'm a bit jealous of you guys, because I dont get it.
I really want to like it, but the part that starts at 8:20 is the only part that does much for me. The first 14 minutes of these songs puts me to sleep.

Since it takes up so much time, it kinda ruins the album for me. I was expecting this one to be excellent in the same way parabol/a is.

Hopefully 6 years from now those elderly bastards somehow come up with something outstanding again, instead of just ok. It's worth $10.88 I guess.

Nate-dogg21
04-19-2006, 07:01 PM
lol, ive noticed tool requires patience sometimes.... A lot of tool is 'feeling' the music, and this album is really ambient and mellow, so thats probably why its not doing anything for you. Give it time tho, hopefully itll grow on you

meatchunk
04-19-2006, 07:18 PM
I'm a bit jealous of you guys, because I dont get it.
I really want to like it, but the part that starts at 8:20 is the only part that does much for me. The first 14 minutes of these songs puts me to sleep.

Since it takes up so much time, it kinda ruins the album for me. I was expecting this one to be excellent in the same way parabol/a is.

Hopefully 6 years from now those elderly bastards somehow come up with something outstanding again, instead of just ok. It's worth $10.88 I guess.
Have you ever seen TOOL live? I'm not trying to be an asshole. I'm just inquiring curiously.

T-13h
04-19-2006, 07:29 PM
They had me at "fetch the ghost, the father, the son..."

Alcawhorlick
04-19-2006, 07:49 PM
Seen them 3 times. In 01, 02, and 02
This song has all the elements of a song that I would instantly love but nothing's happening. I feel like one of those douchebags that lacks the attention span to enjoy Tool properly when I listen to this song and feel nothing.

I'd like to believe that this will grow on me but it hasn't happened yet.

The/Perfect/Tool
04-19-2006, 08:18 PM
This song is freaking amazing.

Alcawhorlick
04-19-2006, 08:24 PM
Have you ever lost anyone close to you?
Are you even REMOTELY in touch with your own spirituality?
Think about these things. Think about loss, hope, love and longing.

Of course, everyone has.

I'd like to think of myself as being somewhat in touch with my spirituality, whatever that means. A lot of Tool's "spiritual" songs have appealed to me quite a bit.

It's also pretty odd since my own mother has had MS for as long as I can remember. She has been in a lot of pain, unable to walk and stuff, so I'd say she's lived a lot of days in a similar "fire". Not quite 10,000, but getting close.

Maybe this stuff is just old news to me or maybe its just the vocals are just sort of boring.

selfimportanttoolfan
04-19-2006, 08:35 PM
i love the song and the lyrics are killer but the music doesn't match the emotion of the lyrics.

panocha21
04-19-2006, 09:15 PM
The opening bassline is beautiful. It sets the mood perfectly. And Maynard's voice is very soothing. The rain and thunder give it depth. It's all about the environment. Find a quiet dark place that you can listen to the song by yourself. Turn the volume really high. Then just relax and let the bass guide you.

auralassassin
04-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Have you ever lost anyone close to you?
Are you even REMOTELY in touch with your own spirituality?
Think about these things. Think about loss, hope, love and longing.

Furthermore... this is the response to Schism.

It's all about forgiveness and understanding. It doesn't have to make you cry--but it is PROFOUND and some people feel that differently. If it does nothing for you, then move on and listen to something else.

Fulcan
04-19-2006, 09:59 PM
I was driving home from class today while it was raining heavily and the clouds were low and dark. Learking about in an erie way. As I was driving, I was listening to this song for the real first time, the times before it was talking to people and only listening to maynard sonically and not really paying attention to the words.

But after I said "Okay, 30 min drive...give me all you got guys", 17 min later I was in tears. I could only get the impression of seeing this poor elderly woman beaten down with nothing but the skin on her back walking up to god demanding her wings. Shes done her time. Maynard drove the spike home with this one and this is possibly one of the most emotional, impactful songs Ive ever had the pleasure of listening to.

s ti N Kfizt
04-19-2006, 10:09 PM
i've listened this song once, and it'll probably move to my alltime favorites after more listenings. especially maynard is so amazing in this.

auralassassin
04-19-2006, 10:24 PM
yes. yes he is.

SoulEdge
04-19-2006, 10:29 PM
If this is the only song TOOL plays from 10,000 Days at Coachella I would be so fucking happy.

babbletonic
04-19-2006, 10:31 PM
I've listened 12 times. It haunts me now its so fucking amazing. The first few times it was just average to me. Give it time <---this is coming from someone who has to listen to all Tool's songs a good 10 times before it clicks. I was baffled by some people praising this song as well, but like all Tool, the song becomes gold eventually.

Metlamaniac
04-20-2006, 07:02 AM
I just........ARGH. This song is brilliant. Lights OFF. Wine in hand. People being silent. BBQ cooking away outside with a 50oz steak on it. THE DREAM

Fd2Blk
04-20-2006, 07:15 AM
I've got to say that I was too ADD to appreciate 10,000 Days whenever the song came on. It just felt like it was too long and boring to enjoy. After last night, it became my favorite Tool song. Just like it was stated above, you must listen to it in a quiet place with equipment that lets the vocals become really clear (my iPod accomplishes this for me).

I'll tell you...it seems as though on my computer speakers, in the light, Right in Two > Wings Pt 2...but on a different system, in the quiet Wings Pt 2 > Right in Two. It's really a matter of what kind of environment you put yourself in to listen to it.

AgentDMT
04-20-2006, 09:45 AM
environment is everything. you want loud, immersive, and clear sound. and I guess you probably want to put your self in a comfortable place thats not only comfortable, but vulnerable.

Fd2Blk
04-20-2006, 10:01 AM
environment is everything. you want loud, immersive, and clear sound. and I guess you probably want to put your self in a comfortable place thats not only comfortable, but vulnerable.

I did shut my eyes and I went there. And boy was it neat!

Alcawhorlick
04-20-2006, 11:16 AM

I dunno, I've listened in about 6 different environments so far.

1.) In front of computer, 5:1 speakers/subwoofer
2.) In front of computer, headphones
3.) Taking dump, lights on, cheap stereo
4.) Taking dump, lights off, candle lit, cheap stereo
5.) chevy cobalt, factory cd player/speakers
6.) We don't discuss #6, that was purely by chance, and the song didn't help that activity much.

Not really feeling much in the song in any of them yet
I think to enjoy this record its imperative that you like this song. Pissing me off more each day.

I guess I'll try alcohol, pot

T-13h
04-20-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey Alcy,

Did you have much of a religous upbringing? I think that's a key part of emotinally resonating with the song.

mike09
04-20-2006, 11:38 AM
I dunno, I've listened in about 6 different environments so far.

1.) In front of computer, 5:1 speakers/subwoofer
2.) In front of computer, headphones
3.) Taking dump, lights on, cheap stereo
4.) Taking dump, lights off, candle lit, cheap stereo
5.) chevy cobalt, factory cd player/speakers
6.) We don't discuss #6, that was purely by chance, and the song didn't help that activity much.

Not really feeling much in the song in any of them yet
I think to enjoy this record its imperative that you like this song. Pissing me off more each day.

I guess I'll try alcohol, pot

I lawled at #4.

Alcawhorlick
04-20-2006, 11:48 AM
Hey Alcy,

Did you have much of a religous upbringing? I think that's a key part of emotinally resonating with the song.

Nope, not really.
My grandma is a bit religous, much moreso than my parents.
I dunno, I probably woulda enjoyed it if it had more intensity with the same subject matter.

hbynoe
04-20-2006, 11:59 AM
Hey Alcy,

i agree with you
the reason this hit me so hard
is because i know
what this is totally..the acceptance
through faith...my mothers beliefs...
my dogma attached
pure genius

LunarSpitfyre
04-20-2006, 12:59 PM
whoa whose mother died

Hensby
04-21-2006, 01:16 AM
When I die I want this song played at my funeral.

Saltank
04-21-2006, 11:08 AM
Touche.

Metalhos
04-21-2006, 12:41 PM
The opening bassline is beautiful. It sets the mood perfectly. And Maynard's voice is very soothing. The rain and thunder give it depth. It's all about the environment. Find a quiet dark place that you can listen to the song by yourself. Turn the volume really high. Then just relax and let the bass guide you..

nice. but this works (for me) only until 7:55.

then: chaotic and unlistenable.

and from 8:22 to 9:27, uninspired 08/15 heavy metal riffing and silly drumrolls.

from then, to the end: nice again. soft and sensitive ending, hats off to the lyrics.

overall, the ending of 10000 days destroys the song for me. luckily the only minutes of this album, i don't like.

T-13h
04-21-2006, 12:49 PM
victory chorus

Metalhos
04-21-2006, 12:54 PM
victory chorus?

T-13h
04-21-2006, 12:59 PM
I really can't explain it any better. Sorry. Your description of the non-vocal music at those parts isn't innaccurate or anything, but I couldn't imagine it any other way.

Metalhos
04-21-2006, 01:39 PM
? sorry, but i still don't understand your intension (language based).

do you think i wrote my 5 cents to fight against those who like the song? that definitly is not my intension. it's just my thought on the song, nothing more, nothing less. maybe the ending will grow on me one day, but as far as i know and believe my ears (in music, there is nothing and noone else you can trust more than your ears) - it won't. my problem. :-(

T-13h
04-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Nah, I just think "silly" and "unspired" don't really capture it, and suggested a possible reason it sounds like it does.

ProdigyDub
04-21-2006, 02:05 PM
Personally I like the song but find it to be the 4th or maybe 5th best on the CD, unlike many of you.

It sets a great mood and is very emotional, but I don't think Tool is at their best doing this style of track.

Carbonatedgravy
04-21-2006, 03:42 PM
Not sure what to say. You either feel the song or you don't, so I can't fault you for anything. All I know is that I felt pretty much the same as you on the first listen, but I'm notoriously horrible at making out lyrics, so once I had them I instantly fell in love with the song.

Metalhos
04-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Nah, I just think "silly" and "unspired" don't really capture it, and suggested a possible reason it sounds like it does.

ok, possibly too harsh words for our faves ;) maybe i was just too confused about that bass-line after 7:56 which throws me out of my connection to the song and after that, being in an unconnected situation and listening to straight riffing and straight drumming, it was too much for being more sensible in describing... sorry for that.

a useful idiot
04-21-2006, 09:49 PM
pot works if you don't get it. that's how i figured it out. then the pot song plays after... and i fucking went OMFG THEY'RE GENIUSES!!! and that was that. -wipes tears-

praefector
04-21-2006, 10:34 PM
the songs dont grab me until the part in "wings" where maynard says the line:

"to be worthy"

and the vox drop down a couple octaves...its so chilling it hooks me for the rest of the composition