PDA

View Full Version : Best music/worst lyrics?

NoD
04-19-2006, 05:29 PM
The lyrics are just fucking so out there, especially for the most 'toolish' music on the album...Do you think Tool missed their chance at having their greatest 2 epics on the same album with such distorted insane vox?

badshirt
04-19-2006, 05:31 PM
I don't think so.... this type of track is expected but the sound of it was sincerely a surprise. I really dig it.

auralassassin
04-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Dude... this is one of the best songs on the album, and this lyric:

Overwhelmed is what you would be
If placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the one.
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending.
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen.
Shit, my bad again. Typical.

Strapped down in my bed.
Feet cold and eyes red.
I’m out of my head.
Am I alive, Am I dead?
Sunkist and Sudafed.
Gyroscopes and infrared.
Won’t help to bring dead.
Can’t remember what they said.
Goddamn, should’ve been.

that shit is some of the most bangin shit I have ever heard in my life, when he sings that... take a few listens at the 8:25-ending point... that shit peaks perfectly, and any questions about Maynard's voice should end RIGHT fucking there.

robyeah1
04-19-2006, 05:38 PM
I thought it was "Goddamn, shit my bed".

T-13h
04-19-2006, 05:41 PM
I thought it was "Goddamn, shit my bed".
It is.

This is the pinnacle of Maynard's writing style.

I am the chosen one,

robyeah1
04-19-2006, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I thought so. Everyone seems to be misquoting it as either "Shit, my bad" or "Should've been"

Howard
04-19-2006, 06:49 PM
NoD, i have to say. You have the worst threads here.

Dolophane
04-19-2006, 06:53 PM
After Lateralus, this track is a breath of fresh air for me. I love the absolutely ridiculous lyrics, it reminds me of Aenema/Undertow era Tool.

chickenweasel
04-19-2006, 06:55 PM
yeah, amazing lyrics really.
and yes, refreshing after the grand scale of the lyrics on Lateralus.

hbynoe
04-19-2006, 07:03 PM
the irony in this song makes me smile
i love that they aren't taking themselves TOOOO seriously
time to bring back the easy breathing to what tool is
cause they fucking rock and this song proves that they are
just stellar

STA
04-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Is that Maynard, or a sample? I seriously cannot tell.

T-13h
04-19-2006, 09:53 PM
'nard's natural speaking voice

Traitorbrain
04-19-2006, 09:56 PM
The lyrics me of tripping to the point where you can't remember if you are real or not.

T-13h
04-19-2006, 10:05 PM
The lyrics me of tripping to the point where you can't remember if you are real or not.
I hate that.

The Let Down
04-19-2006, 11:08 PM
the lyrics of this song do not match any other song off aenima/lateralus in terms of epics.

if the lyrical content had been more developed this song could have been a classic.

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-20-2006, 07:42 AM
it wasnt meant to be a classic in the sense of songs off the albums you mentioned, it is what it is. take it w/ a grain dude

Jimmeny
04-20-2006, 07:46 AM
I heard it as Goddamn shit the bed straight away. Not something I'd sing about tbh, and certainly not in a song that's been written like that. I can see it fitting in their post gunge undertow sound, but imo I don;t think it fits the album as a lyric. Goddamn, shit the bed! I lold when I heard it though, so kudos.

Tyro
04-20-2006, 08:00 AM
Won’t help to bring dead.

I hear: "Won't help the brain dead."

StaringJunky
04-20-2006, 11:17 AM
I like this theory that is not totally mine (ie. some other people have said this too):
I think that all the ranmbling nonsene in this song is kind of like what the beatles did with I am the Walrus, lots of random shit that seems like it should mean something but doesn't, just to screw with the fans. Then the end part is about how frustrated maynard is with people being stupid and not trying to understand his lyrics in a smart way. And the thing about shitting the bed is about how he feels he cnat express himself in a way that people will get so he has screwed up, or shit the bed. Also this would kind of go with the title, Maynard has been Rosetta Stoned, or encoded so no one knows what he means. The "stoned" thing is just a joke.