PDA

View Full Version : sounds like dude from maroon 5

NoD
04-19-2006, 05:06 PM
in the intro amirite?

Citizen Erased
04-19-2006, 05:38 PM
My friend said the same thing when I showed her the song.

lysergide dreams
04-19-2006, 05:54 PM
i thought the same thing to myself. guess i'm not the only one.

Howard
04-19-2006, 06:43 PM
I disagree, but, is that a problem?

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-19-2006, 07:00 PM
wow, before i just got sucker punched by this song the only one i heard previous was vicarious. i guess their not a band you can so easily pin down anymore- must listen to rest

hbynoe
04-19-2006, 07:01 PM
ha ha ha i never thought so at all.....adam levine sounding like jimmy boy..fuck nah

scrody312
04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Maroon 5 was my first thought....

toocooltool
04-20-2006, 12:09 PM
My bro thought it was james blunt.

LucidVision
04-20-2006, 01:26 PM
you guys didnt know, the guy from maroon 5 IS MAYNARD!
It's his alter ego/costume

maroon 5 rocks

Topher
04-20-2006, 01:58 PM
For what its worth, I was thinking Maroon 5 as well.

alicetooljam
04-20-2006, 06:29 PM
Thi was my first thought as well. When it starts i still feel like its maroon 5 meets the chemical brothers....

Reflection
04-20-2006, 09:41 PM
First 46 seconds, the voice did sound like the Maroon 5 dude. But then, the Undertow Maynard came from the shadows lol

drumtool
04-20-2006, 10:45 PM
he sounded different to usual but i definatly didnt think maroon 5

TBL
04-20-2006, 11:08 PM
My first thought was Maroon 5 guy too in the intro there. I don't see how anyone could see otherwise, unless of course you haven't heard Maroon 5. In which case, you're lucky :P.

faulty
04-22-2006, 04:50 AM
I've never heared Maroon 5, so i'm not entirely sure why im even wasting anyones time posting on here... The song is awesome tho

psychodad
04-22-2006, 04:56 AM
Sounded like Maynard to me, but what do I know...

tooldude
04-22-2006, 06:28 AM
mars volta?

mustbevicarious
04-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Ugh
he does NOT SOUND like Cedric from The Mars Volta. Trust me. Just fucking DROP it. It's like saying any guy who sings in a high register sounds like Robert Plant.

chopsy
04-22-2006, 10:36 AM
I am surprised to see the comparisons to maroon 5 and in another thread, Tracy Chapman.

To me, Maynard sounds like he is twisting some rasta flavor into his voice a la Marley, and the point your finger line reminds me of his early work "Judge Not"

not too big of a stretch considering the song's subject matter

Ancalagon
04-22-2006, 11:39 AM
Ironic, mustbevicarious, because I was going to mention Robert Plant. Not that it sounds like him but that Maynard wishes he was him. ;)

Hell of a song; Zep would be proud!

DispReflTri78
04-22-2006, 12:16 PM
Ugh
he does NOT SOUND like Cedric from The Mars Volta. Trust me. Just fucking DROP it. It's like saying any guy who sings in a high register sounds like Robert Plant.

True.

And it does sound like Adam Levine.

Harry Manback
04-22-2006, 12:21 PM
The first thought I had was that Maynard sounded more like he does with APC than with TOOL.

sdrawkcab
04-22-2006, 03:04 PM
i read in an interview that one of maynard's testicles exploded while he was recording the intro.

Phorcany
04-22-2006, 06:34 PM
Hell yes he sounds like adam from maroon 5 . I laughed my ass off when I first heard this song . Though I have to admit I kinda like it in some ways. I don't think this is a song that will have a high replay value.

wags
04-22-2006, 06:40 PM
Why are we comparing Tool to a band so derivative as Maroon 5? They're not bad, I guess, but they certainly don't have the chops, will or sonic ambition of Tool. Hell, if we're talking about other bands, why not Hawthorne Heights or Breaking Benjamin or Linkin Park? Maynard sounds like them too, right?

Topher
04-22-2006, 10:21 PM
I for one am certainly NOT comparing the two. All I'm saying is that, for the first 10 seconds of 'The Pot', made me think of the singer from Maroon 5. I don't even know his damn name. As soon as the music kicked in, I thought differently. Personally, I love the song.

On a sidenote. Hawthorne Heights is fucking trash.

drumtool
04-23-2006, 12:54 AM
he sets the tone of the song

drumtool
04-23-2006, 12:56 AM
Why are we comparing Tool to a band so derivative as Maroon 5? They're not bad, I guess, but they certainly don't have the chops, will or sonic ambition of Tool. Hell, if we're talking about other bands, why not Hawthorne Heights or Breaking Benjamin or Linkin Park? Maynard sounds like them too, right?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha excelent post

happydipshit
04-23-2006, 04:56 AM
uhm

Masterangelbasher
04-23-2006, 05:47 AM
I heared Maroon 5 too...My wife heared James blunt....Made me think of Freddy Mercury......Not the voice, but the timbre and resonance. Also....Do I hear 'train kept a rollin' in there?

toocooltool
04-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Hate maroonblunt

redbox
04-23-2006, 06:34 AM
mars volta?

agree

eon_yellow_apocalypse
04-23-2006, 08:14 AM
this friend of mine thoguht it was a Maroon 5 song at first....
then he went "the music sounds like Tool"

the only Tool song he heard is Schism though

montsegur
04-23-2006, 04:46 PM
this friend of mine thoguht it was a Maroon 5 song at first....
then he went "the music sounds like Tool"

the only Tool song he heard is Schism though

yeah,been there...my friend thought that the maroon guy is lending his vocals to that one....shit

harbong
04-23-2006, 04:53 PM
I think he is singing in that tone to reflect singing from a perspective, my interpretation is that it is from his mother's point of view. maybe a comeback to 'judith'. like, "james, why are you being such an asshole ("fuck your god"), are you friggin' high?"
and yes, he sounds like adam levine.

Udink
05-03-2006, 07:25 PM
I've certainly convinced myself that the opening verse is NOT by Maynard. He has such a distinct timbre to his voice that is simply 100% lacking in those first few lines, but the first time you hear "You musta been...high," that is certainly Maynard.

The liner notes say "More Credits | toolband.com / toolarmy.com," but I can't find any more credits at either place. I'm dead certain that somebody else did the opening vocals. And, yes, it does sound like the dude from Maroon 5 to me as well.

Edit: Listening to it once again, when the guy singing the opening lines gets to the word "practically," he drops out of his near-falsetto voice, which I'm sure is much closer to what his voice sounds like normally. Even then, it's lacking that "Maynard" quality that you hear on the entire rest of the song. The more I listen, the more convinced I am. :)

arcane
05-03-2006, 10:46 PM
Listen through headphones. It's Maynard.

And my housemate said James Blunt - I don't hear it.

submachine
05-03-2006, 11:37 PM
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/audio_software/mp3_tools/mp3directcut.cfm

livingdecay
05-04-2006, 09:06 PM
The first thought I had was that Maynard sounded more like he does with APC than with TOOL.

I really think that Rosetta Stoned sounds much more "Undertowish".

In all honesty, I feel like Undertow + Lateralus = 10,000 days.

NIte
05-14-2006, 09:19 PM
you guys listen to maroon 5?

Koan
05-15-2006, 02:28 AM
I thought of Maynard from the first time I heard it. He's really diverse with his voice, but you can ALWAYS still recognise a voice if you are familliar with it's characteristics.

JOK3R
05-15-2006, 03:06 AM
i am going to pretend i didnt read that because maynard does not sound like the guy from maroon 5...

JOK3R
05-15-2006, 03:12 AM
I've certainly convinced myself that the opening verse is NOT by Maynard. He has such a distinct timbre to his voice that is simply 100% lacking in those first few lines, but the first time you hear "You musta been...high," that is certainly Maynard.

The liner notes say "More Credits | toolband.com / toolarmy.com," but I can't find any more credits at either place. I'm dead certain that somebody else did the opening vocals. And, yes, it does sound like the dude from Maroon 5 to me as well.

Edit: Listening to it once again, when the guy singing the opening lines gets to the word "practically," he drops out of his near-falsetto voice, which I'm sure is much closer to what his voice sounds like normally. Even then, it's lacking that "Maynard" quality that you hear on the entire rest of the song. The more I listen, the more convinced I am. :)
the whole song is definitely maynard. it sounds like him. it is him.

Suntorn
05-15-2006, 04:19 AM

That is the MOST legitimate post in this whole thread. That is exactly what I thought as well. Maynard sounds like no other than himself!!

K In Yo Mouf
05-15-2006, 04:42 AM
My friend said the same thing when I showed her the song.

I Don't Think I Like Yr Friend...

ID-entity
05-16-2006, 01:13 PM
you guys listen to maroon 5?

I seriously hope not.

Scarlett
05-16-2006, 01:25 PM
What is Maroon 5?
Ok that was stupid joke In The Pot Maynard sounds like Maynard not like this guy from Maroon 5 I even don't know that dude's name

P1_PP1_N
06-06-2006, 03:52 AM
i read in an interview that one of maynard's testicles exploded while he was recording the intro.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
You made my day, thanks.

Exegesis
06-06-2006, 06:03 AM
in the intro amirite?

NO. You are not right.

It sounds like Maynard James Keenan.

Insanekat
06-09-2006, 09:01 PM
It sounded like Maynard but yes he was going quite high, though I didn't think Maroon 5 I just thought it was impressive that he had that vocal range.

Joshua_Bazzell
06-23-2006, 04:03 PM
What. The. FUCK? Comparing TOOL and Maroon 5 is utter blasphemy! lol, that is just WRONG. Maynard sounds like Maynard...Period. The first nanosecond of Pot that I heard sounded like Maynard. The intro isnt that hard to sing, and it is NOT falsetto, it is simply a tighter resonance of the vocal cords resulting from raising the trachea up in its position and actually slightly tilting the neck foward, therefore putting a bit of pressure on the trachea, constricting a smidge of airflow.

Simply drop your jaw, while keeping your mouth more closed than normal, tilt your neck foward, and mentally picture your vocals resonating off of the top rear of your mouth, imagine that part of your mouth as a high vaulted room, widen the mouth and push the air foward from your gut, not your chest, and it shouldnt be a problem.

(I am a singer, have been since a small child. You learn to match tones easily after a while, and I can sing the whole song almost perfectly on note the whole way through...Don't have a mic or i would prove it)

Maroon 5? That is just fucking sick...

psims23
06-23-2006, 04:30 PM
I dunno why you people are so deaf. Just because Maroon 5 sucks does not mean that this song sucks; there are so many different elements to a song and a band that contribute to their whole sound. However, it is difficult to deny the similarities between Maynard in the intro to The Pot and the sound of the singer to Maroon 5. The timbre and tone are VERY similar. It's not saying that Maynard sucks, it's just noticing a striking similarity that some people here are perhaps too closed minded to admit. This is most definitely without a doubt Maynard, but there is no denying the similarities between the two in the intro in this song.

Artistic Sickness
06-23-2006, 05:12 PM
you guys didnt know, the guy from maroon 5 IS MAYNARD!
It's his alter ego/costume

maroon 5 rocks

You have been drawn and quartered.
thanks for coming out.

jerico v
06-24-2006, 06:08 PM
personally, it reminds me of maynard's voice in peace, love, and understanding from emotive. anyone else?

Artistic Sickness
06-25-2006, 12:20 AM
that wasnt maynard. that was Billy.
it DOES remind me of him him from Fiddle and the Drum, though..

anarcho-commie
07-06-2006, 02:22 PM
youarewrong

walkerw8
07-06-2006, 02:38 PM

Maynard has been known to do different things with his voice in other songs as well, whether aided or not. Stinkfist, Eulogy and Pushit (where he goes quite high at times) are perfect examples of this.

And there is definitely hints of brooding musical darkness heard on Undertow and AEnima on this album that weren't as prevalent in Lateralus, but at certain times there are also elements in common with Lateralus too. I think this album, musically anyways is a nice summation of all previous work but it takes it a step or two further enabling it to be defined simply as 10,000 days (and that is no simple thing! ;) ) .

And come on guys, come down off your high horse, no one is comparing Tool to Maroon 5. It's just been pointed out that Maynard at the beginning of the song sounds like the dude from Maroon 5. And he does, for that brief moment. Why is that so bad? Would it shatter your illusions that Tool is Perfect?

Hetfield823
07-21-2006, 10:30 AM
I know that nobody is comparing Maroon 5 to Tool but I couldn't help but have the thought cross my mind too...and now my stomach hurts :-(

But anyways, I've always thought that it was Maynard from the beginning but what the fuck do I know.