PDA

View Full Version : Ok, not a decoy theory, a sacrificial lamb theory…

crimble
04-19-2006, 04:49 PM
- Tool has a bunch of songs that they have yet to “officially” release on any recording
- These songs were from other sessions or just songs created not particularly for any specific album just songs made because they are artists and they like to create
- They make a disk with these songs and a few joke/segue tracks to make it 11
- This is not a “Decoy” album, it’s a real album but it’s the Sacrificial Lamb
- This takes about a year to produce and master
- They use a new Alex Grey painting (Net of Being) to associate the tracks with the Lateralus era
- The Sacrificial Lamb, 10,000 Days, has been finished for a while now
- They expect this album to be leaked, almost do it themselvs to make the fans stop hunting for the "other project"
- Tool has been working on another album for the past few years
- The CD production will be done in some real crazy off shore, 3rd world, never heard of Tool before country like Canada or something :)
- The new CD’s will be stored in 1 central location until a day or two before release
- You can ship anything overnight for the right price, the profits for 10,000 days might offset that cost?
- The new CD will then be brought to stores almost overnight and sold, ALONG SIDE of 10,000 days.
- After 5 years, Tool gives us 22 new tracks to chew on.
- The real promotion really doesn't start until the tour and a few singles are out anyway
- Why can't Tool release a new single from the other album in a month? Why not?
- As Tool fans, we will buy as many albums as they put out, so why wouldn't this work?
- They stop an internet leak, so that at least 11 of their tracks don’t get eaten up on the internet before release date

Please Jeebus, be true.

something_Dark
04-19-2006, 04:52 PM
so we should expect more?

triad636
04-19-2006, 04:53 PM
I like this theory.

a_sirian_in_agony
04-19-2006, 04:57 PM
i dig what youre laying down, g....

T-13h
04-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Leaving the NOX ; entering the LVX.

Sasha
04-19-2006, 05:07 PM
I really like this. This was my intented theory more or less since the beginning of this whole fiasco. Since, they more or less view their music in an artistic way, and totally dispise record companies, they see no need for their ways. That means singles, and videos, and overall promotion.

The 10,000 Days CD as it stands now could be released as web-only or even something llike a B-Sides & Rarities thing that the Deftones did recently.

The way this is put is much more "Toolish." There's much more creativity and artistical expression this way.

dracomordag
04-19-2006, 05:08 PM
i really doubt this, but it would mean more tool music

black_rose
04-19-2006, 06:13 PM
I totally agree with this theory, i don't now if i'm being ignorant or what. The leak is very suspicious.

T-13h
04-19-2006, 06:19 PM
The true secret is that there is no secret.

DrunkFunk
04-19-2006, 06:34 PM
I have no idea whats going on any more, I thought I had an idea but now its just getting me confused.
Right now, other than Vicarious, I will not listen to any leak or new Tool until May 2nd. I want no relationship with this leak or any new Tool whatsoever, until May 2nd. I do not want to download the leak and just ruin it entirely.
On the other hand, I also have been thinking on the lines of what you have, the album being a decoy (or if you must) sacrificial lamb. I have read many posts, some calling Vicarious "recycled" and I'm sorry but I have been having many mixed feelings about this, but i can't help it that every time I listen it seems like "I've heard this before" somewhere. Reading Kabirs posts on tool down (reviews etc.) and especially when Vicarious was first leaked (FTP site unprotected) made me REALY start thinking about a decoy album and all that rumor of in the past (also thinking but to when I first heard the song list thinking it was a joke). I'm not saying I don't like the "new" single, in fact it's realy starting to grow on me, but I just don't know.
I have also been thinking if all this "sacrificial lamb" is true, then what does this mean for the real tool fan who is waiting and hasn't listened to the Vicarious single but has heard all this rumor.
The point that you bring up I like very much is realeasing 2 albums, and yes I agree five years and those 11 songs seem rather sparse. I have also been thinking about Maynard mixing songs with others and adding his own voice, as I see quite a resemblence listening to Vicarious and another album I bought this past year which had a album similar to "10 000 days." (Not going to mention cause thats another point)

But all in all, it's all about the music, and whatever Tool makes I support their band 100%. I don't like having people supporting theory's where it seems they so far don't like whats on "10000days" (which I have not heard and have no opinion on as of yet). I am going to wait the way the band intended it (or what i hope) for it to be released on May 2nd. I JUST HOPE WHEN MAY 2ND COMES AROUND (whether it is JUST 10, 000 Days or 10,000 days with + another) THAT IT WILL BLOW MY MIND.

sinfall
04-19-2006, 06:35 PM

http://download.yousendit.com/D2F68E5C3AAE87EE

<FUTANT>
04-19-2006, 06:41 PM
I want to have sex with that theory i love it so much

Ocelot199
04-19-2006, 06:55 PM
This theory is far better than the people who are saying its an out-and-out hoax, and I support it.

The only problem I forsee is that even if there is another album none of us have heard about, its hard to keep that kind of thing a secret once it starts getting pressed and distributed. Employees notice... Taking it to some out of the way country might work, if Tool had some serious money (I dunno how rich they are, honestly...).

So I guess its possible. It seems more likely that as May 2nd comes along, we'll all go to buy the new album, open it up and find some kind of note inside telling us to expect something more in the following weeks. Putting the 'real album' release maybe a month from May 2nd would make it a lot easier to prevent any sort of information about it leaking until Tool wanted to.

Plus that way Tool could release something on 6/6/6, and that'd be cool.

Good work threadstarted.

Aldaraia: 6/6/6

84 pontiac dream
04-19-2006, 07:28 PM
if it ends up being something like soad's hypnowhater/mezmerwhatever...then that would be cool
one comes out early other later in the year....
two tool albums...

but i doubt it

oneredflag
04-19-2006, 07:48 PM
goddam this shit is funny

Indrid Cold
04-19-2006, 07:51 PM

Holy crap thats right! I knew I heard that somewhere before! I have seen the Oklahoma City 2002 Concert on DVD and they played that. Weird stuff right there.

Lagomorph
04-19-2006, 10:26 PM
TOOL will never put their name on an album with lyrics: GOD DAMN SHIT THE BED.

that is a fact so you can quit your internal dialouge right now.

Alexandra
04-19-2006, 10:35 PM
True story.

*see*you*auntie*
04-19-2006, 10:38 PM
TOOL will never put their name on an album with lyrics: GOD DAMN SHIT THE BED.

that is a fact so you can quit your internal dialouge right now.

They didn't seem to have a problem putting their name on an album with a teacake recipe, a phone message, a song called "Hooker with a Penis", and many, many other examples.

I don't understand your objection to those lyrics. It's completely in context with the song. It's not like he says them out of the blue.

krumz
04-19-2006, 10:40 PM
remember twin turkeys.... i guess everybody forgot that...

Ryan
04-19-2006, 11:39 PM
I want to have sex with that theory i love it so much

you and me both.

waffel
04-19-2006, 11:40 PM
Wings for marie part 1 and part 2. Pretty serious songs right? Serious stuff about his mother, right? Sound like Tool songs to you? Not really.

RIGHT AFTER part 2, is THE POT. Then lipan conjuring, then rosetta stoned. I mean come on people. Its just too funny.

John Doggett
04-19-2006, 11:43 PM
This album makes me laugh so damn hard...that's all I even use it for.

Hooker with a Third Eye
04-20-2006, 05:14 AM
i want two tool albums...

Hooker with a Third Eye
04-20-2006, 05:29 AM
also ... if u read kabir's review ... almost every song on the 10000 days he says sounds almost like an already existing tool song. maybe the new songs were created during the time period the old ones came out?

angrygodofjebus
04-20-2006, 05:37 AM
-
- You can ship anything overnight for the right price, the profits for 10,000 days might offset that cost?

Um, but a lot of people will just think what they have downloaded is the real album, and won't buy it because of that.

By releasing a "sacrificial lamb" they'd still be costing themselves money. Then, the people who didn't buy it would just download the 11 new tracks when they're spread across the internet on May 2nd.

mike09
04-20-2006, 06:31 AM

Those were the 2 dvds released I think.

crimble
04-20-2006, 07:10 AM
"Um, but a lot of people will just think what they have downloaded is the real album, and won't buy it because of that.

By releasing a "sacrificial lamb" they'd still be costing themselves money. Then, the people who didn't buy it would just download the 11 new tracks when they're spread across the internet on May 2nd."

I have to disagree with you on that; What you said in the beginning about people thinking they have already downloaded the new album, that's what will happen, the hunt for the new Tool album is kind of over, this is to stop a leak of the CD until the new one comes out. Once the album is released, the band knows they can do nothing to stop it. Plus, I just think after 5 years and all the side projects, this album comes up short, I really hope 10,000 isn't all we get, but if it is OK, I still love Tool but I hope they don't take another 5 years to release new material. 2012 is way too long to wait for more.

MorfiusX
04-20-2006, 08:02 AM
Isn't the supposed "10,000 Days" album the last on their contract with Volcano? If so, this would add to the sacraficial lamb theory because the "actual" album would not be bound by their contract.

Alveolate
04-20-2006, 10:11 AM

i want to see what people say about this, rather than just dismiss it.

Alexandra
04-20-2006, 10:28 AM
...the hunt for the new Tool album is kind of over, this is to stop a leak of the CD until the new one comes out. Once the album is released, the band knows they can do nothing to stop it. Plus, I just think after 5 years and all the side projects, this album comes up short, I really hope 10,000 isn't all we get, but if it is OK, I still love Tool but I hope they don't take another 5 years to release new material.Agreed. And if there is another album, I think the band figured out an excellent strategy for protecting a leak of the "real" album (i.e. they leaked 10,000 Days). What's more, is that it perfectly supplements the fact that the single and the album pretty much fell out of the fucking sky and into our hard drives.

Seriously, I bet none of you are still searching for the new Tool album. You're too busy enjoying 10,000 Days, right?

mike09
04-20-2006, 10:31 AM
Agreed. And if there is another album, I think the band figured out an excellent strategy for protecting a leak (i.e. the release of 10,000 Days). What's more, is that it perfectly supplements the fact that the single and the album pretty much fell out of the fucking sky and into our hard drives.

Seriously, I bet none of you are still searching for the new Tool album. You're too busy enjoying 10,000 Days, right?

The leaked album that everyone has is the new Tool album. And you can quote me on that. On May 2nd, expect this album in stores. Complete with "goddamn, shit my bed" and "Whatchoo talkin' 'bout?" I'll even go so far as to say that if I'm wrong and this leaked album turns out to not be the real new Tool cd and it's just b-sides or a decoy album or whatever, I'll leave toolnavy forever. And before I even do that, I'll make a thread apologizing for bashing all the hoax believers. May 2nd, boys, May 2nd.

mike09
04-20-2006, 10:34 AM

People have already talked about this. Tool likes to take music they come up with on tour and use them for new songs. The intro guitar riff of "The Patient" was used on the Aenima tour. Case closed.

Alveolate
04-20-2006, 10:36 AM
People have already talked about this. Tool likes to take music they come up with on tour and use them for new songs. The intro guitar riff of "The Patient" was used on the Aenima tour. Case closed.

yes your honor.

Alexandra
04-20-2006, 10:39 AM
Mike, besides your listens of the album (which I'm assuming you enjoyed), what other evidence do you have that this album is the "real" and only album?

Kabir's comments/posts? Blair's comments/posts? The band members' statements?

I'm honestly curious.

Alveolate
04-20-2006, 10:43 AM
Mike, besides your listens of the album (which I'm assuming you enjoyed), what other evidence do you have that this album is the "real" and only album?

I'm honestly curious.

good call. i think the people that think this album is a decoy/hoax/fake are giving pretty solid back-up to support it. however, the people that believe it's the real deal are just coming out and saying, 'it just is!'. that's like the infamous 'because i said so' response.

Juanjay
04-20-2006, 10:44 AM
I think its possible, would be highly unlikely but not impossible.

Alexandra
04-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Yes, Alveolate; it seems to me those in favor of 10,000 Days being the real album would clearly be using Blair as evidence, the album art posted on Toolband as evidence, Kabir as evidence, the band members' statements as evidence--yet, I think everyone can at least confess that if there ostensibly was a hoax, all the aforementioned sources would have to be holding the same, consistent position that they are conveniently holding right now (basically, that this is the album).

And I don't want to invite those against the hoax to say, "Well, maybe it's because it is the album, LOL, DUHHH!11!!!!1!!!" because, really, I already understand that piece of evidence. It was obvious all the way back when Tool said, "We're writing a new album after Lateralus." I'm well aware that I am putting a fairly radical (to some, that is) idea on the table.

mike09
04-20-2006, 10:57 AM

I'm honestly curious.

Well...

1. All the reviews I've read of it match up with the album I'm hearing. This includes actual snippets of lyrics. We knew the line "Who are you to wave your finger?" weeks before the album leaked.

2. Adam Jones' comments on the new effects he is using are proven true. As a guitarist, I can tell you he easily did the most experimenting on this album compared to their past albums.

3. The March Newsletter and the April 7th, 2006 news update in terms of subject matter on the leaked album.

4. There's no reason for Tool to leak an album full of b-sides. They certainly wouldn't waste the time or money to re-record old songs. Yet, these songs have definitely been recorded recently and not 6 or 7 years ago.

5. Why would they leak a song that's a tribute to Maynard's mom? In fact, why would they leak any song that was 17 minutes total with both tracks combined?

Alveolate
04-20-2006, 10:59 AM
Yes, Alveolate; it seems to me those in favor of 10,000 Days being the real album would clearly be using Blair as evidence, the album art posted on Toolband as evidence, Kabir as evidence, the band members' statements as evidence--yet, I think everyone can at least confess that if there ostensibly was a hoax, all the aforementioned sources would have to be holding the same, consistent position that they are conveniently holding right now (basically, that this is the album).

And I don't want to invite those against the hoax to say, "Well, maybe it's because it is the album, LOL, DUHHH!11!!!!1!!!" because, really, I already understand that piece of evidence. It was obvious all the way back when Tool said, "We're writing a new album after Lateralus." I'm well aware that I am putting a fairly radical (to some, that is) idea on the table.

what gets me is when blair says, 'when the album art comes out, you will KNOW it's the album art' (or something to that extent). i'm sort of jumping on both sides just to get a taste of both. it can really be a toss up. i don't DISLIKE the album by any means. i think it's pretty good... it's no Ćnema, but then again, it'd be unfair to compare them because musicians do grow and take different directions. for some reason, however, it just seems incomplete to me. i guess i had my expectations up a little high. and i'm sure, just like lateralus, i will enjoy it. time will tell. i will say that it does make more sense for it to be a decoy, rather than it not. tool's not that lazy.

Alveolate
04-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Well...

1. All the reviews I've read of it match up with the album I'm hearing. This includes actual snippets of lyrics. We knew the line "Who are you to wave your finger?" weeks before the album leaked.

2. Adam Jones' comments on the new effects he is using are proven true. As a guitarist, I can tell you he easily did the most experimenting on this album compared to their past albums.

3. The March Newsletter and the April 7th, 2006 news update in terms of subject matter on the leaked album.

4. There's no reason for Tool to leak an album full of b-sides. They certainly wouldn't waste the time or money to re-record old songs. Yet, these songs have definitely been recorded recently and not 6 or 7 years ago.

5. Why would they leak a song that's a tribute to Maynard's mom? In fact, why would they leak any song that was 17 minutes total with both tracks combined?

1. Is it impossible that, to 100% avoid a leak that they just showed the decoy to people for review? Isn't it at all possible that what we all are hearing will be released AS WELL as something else that is under heavy gaurd? Say what you will about the power of the net, i do believe it IS POSSIBLE to prevent a LONG AWAITED album such as tool from leaking.

2. Whatever it takes to surprise your fans with another CD. It's not impossible that they were just lazy with this CD and didn't care much if it got leaked because they ARE only b-sides/rarities.

3. Blair.

4. Who said that they were re-recorded? Why can't these songs just be songs that were lying around and never used? From the Lateralus session, for example. Time wasn't wasted if they were already recorded and mastered.

5. Maybe, to make it seems more believable, they put that song on the album for convincing purposes.

your turn.

angrygodofjebus
04-20-2006, 11:13 AM
I have to disagree with you on that; What you said in the beginning about people thinking they have already downloaded the new album, that's what will happen, the hunt for the new Tool album is kind of over, this is to stop a leak of the CD until the new one comes out. Once the album is released, the band knows they can do nothing to stop it.

But my point is, leaking a "sacrificial lamb" would have the same effect as far as making money goes. They save the "real" cd getting leaked, sure, but they spent a lot of extra time and money on a hoax that is going to hurt record sales the same as a true leak would.

sinfall
04-20-2006, 11:20 AM

it's easier for them to ignore and dismiss then to offer a logical explanation most of the time.

Alveolate
04-20-2006, 11:21 AM
it's easier for them to ignore and dismiss then to offer a logical explanation most of the time.

agreed.

mike09
04-20-2006, 11:26 AM
1. Is it impossible that, to 100% avoid a leak that they just showed the decoy to people for review? Isn't it at all possible that what we all are hearing will be released AS WELL as something else that is under heavy gaurd? Say what you will about the power of the net, i do believe it IS POSSIBLE to prevent a LONG AWAITED album such as tool from leaking.

Of course, it is POSSIBLE. The question is: why? So a critic can give the album a mediocre review because he felt it wasn't up to par? Isn't that the risk they would be taking by presenting a B-sides album to critics? Because, as you say, these songs aren't up to the quality of past albums, so they must be B-sides. What was the point of the listening sessions to begin with?

2. Whatever it takes to surprise your fans with another CD. It's not impossible that they were just lazy with this CD and didn't care much if it got leaked because they ARE only b-sides/rarities.

Why do the interview at all? Guitar World is probably the most legitimate and respected guitar magazine in the world. He did an interview with them before Lateralus came out and it didn't keep him from revealing information about that album, so why should it be any different this time?

3. Blair.

So, I guess there never was a song called LK that was 17 minutes long either. I'm sure you weren't thinking he was lying then. Now, when you finally hear it and are dissapointed in it, you call him a liar. Why? Because he lied to us 5 years ago about Systema Encephale (or however you spell it)? Because you don't like the songs?

4. Who said that they were re-recorded? Why can't these songs just be songs that were lying around and never used? From the Lateralus session, for example. Time wasn't wasted if they were already recorded and mastered.

The quality in the guitar (especially the distortion) is much better on this album than it was on Aenima, Undertow, and Opiate, that's for sure. Is it better sounding quality than Lateralus' sound? Questionable. However, it's argued that these songs are b-sides from a bunch of different albums, so if they weren't re-recorded, shouldn't they sound different from each other instrument-wise? The drums sound different from each other on Aenima and Lateralus. Maynard' mom died after Lateralus was released. I don't see how that song could have been recorded during the Lateralus sessions or even before that.

5. Maybe, to make it seems more believable, they put that song on the album for convincing purposes.

Except, a lot of people feel it's one of their best songs already and no doubt the band would feel that way too. Why put a song that was so emotionally important to Maynard on a "fake" album?

mike09
04-20-2006, 11:31 AM

I, and others have already offered a logical explanation. Lots of bands use material they come with on tour to write new songs with. "The Patient" intro guitar riff can be heard on some Aenima tour bootlegs.

Alveolate
04-20-2006, 11:34 AM
Of course, it is POSSIBLE. The question is: why? So a critic can give the album a mediocre review because he felt it wasn't up to par? Isn't that the risk they would be taking by presenting a B-sides album to critics? Because, as you say, these songs aren't up to the quality of past albums, so they must be B-sides. What was the point of the listening sessions to begin with?

Why do the interview at all? Guitar World is probably the most legitimate and respected guitar magazine in the world. He did an interview with them before Lateralus came out and it didn't keep him from revealing information about that album, so why should it be any different this time?

So, I guess there never was a song called LK that was 17 minutes long either. I'm sure you weren't thinking he was lying then. Now, when you finally hear it and are dissapointed in it, you call him a liar. Why? Because he lied to us 5 years ago about Systema Encephale (or however you spell it)? Because you don't like the songs?

The quality in the guitar (especially the distortion) is much better on this album than it was on Aenima, Undertow, and Opiate, that's for sure. Is it better sounding quality than Lateralus' sound? Questionable. However, it's argued that these songs are b-sides from a bunch of different albums, so if they weren't re-recorded, shouldn't they sound different from each other instrument-wise? The drums sound different from each other on Aenima and Lateralus. Maynard' mom died after Lateralus was released. I don't see how that sound could have been recorded during the Lateralus sessions or even before that.

Except, a lot of people feel it's one of their best songs already and no doubt the band would feel that way too. Why put a song that was so emotionally important to Maynard on a "fake" album?

The point of the listening sessions were to see the response. I never said that they wouldn't release what we have/heard. I do believe that the 11 songs that were leaked WILL be released on May 2nd, however, I think something ELSE will be released with it. Why not show the 'other' album at a listening session? Wouldn't you like to have a BRAND NEW/UN-HEARD tool cd along with this one on May 2nd?
Why do the interview at all? To add to the shock. Like I said, I think this will be released, so Adam wasn't lying at all. He just wasn't releasing ALL the information. Remember, they ask the questions... He chooses what to say and what not to say. What to let out and what to remain a secret.
At any point did I say Blair lies about everything? It's just one of those twists and turns thing. Using Blair and/or a Newsletter as foundation for arguement probably isn't the best idea. But you and I both did. So using Blair or a newsletter written by Blair would equal running in circles.
I don't think this song was recorded during Lateralus... actually, it couldn't have been. And you say people are saying this is the best song written by them. That's a matter of opinion. Who's to say that they don't have 11 songs that are BETTER than this one? Are we to now believe that no song that TOOL will write from now on will be better than Wings/10,000 Days?

Fd2Blk
04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
I can't help but feel sorry for anybody who has all their hope tied up in thinking this is a decoy/hoax/sacrificial lamb/etc. What will you guys do when all of this self-generated hype implodes and you are left with that which you believe to be 'not worthy' of Tool: 10,000 Days?

To be so caught up in believing anything beyond 10kD exists is just a setup for disappointment.

And I can only imagine what the boys from Tool must think if/when they come across this kind of skepticism. Seems like it would suck that you release an album that you poured everything into just to have people brush it off as a fake.

If ever there was an maximum, a threshold, of getting your hopes up for an album, it would be this talk of an imaginary album. I wish you guys the best of luck in recovering on May 2nd, I really do.

mike09
04-20-2006, 11:45 AM
The point of the listening sessions were to see the response. I never said that they wouldn't release what we have/heard. I do believe that the 11 songs that were leaked WILL be released on May 2nd, however, I think something ELSE will be released with it. Why not show the 'other' album at a listening session? Wouldn't you like to have a BRAND NEW/UN-HEARD tool cd along with this one on May 2nd?
Why do the interview at all? To add to the shock. Like I said, I think this will be released, so Adam wasn't lying at all. He just wasn't releasing ALL the information. Remember, they ask the questions... He chooses what to say and what not to say. What to let out and what to remain a secret.
At any point did I say Blair lies about everything? It's just one of those twists and turns thing. Using Blair and/or a Newsletter as foundation for arguement probably isn't the best idea. But you and I both did. So using Blair or a newsletter written by Blair would equal running in circles.
I don't think this song was recorded during Lateralus... actually, it couldn't have been. And you say people are saying this is the best song written by them. That's a matter of opinion. Who's to say that they don't have 11 songs that are BETTER than this one? Are we to now believe that no song that TOOL will write from now on will be better than Wings/10,000 Days?

Fair enough. I don't think we will ever agree with each other on this. So, there isn't really much sense in arguing. Your view on saying another cd will be released with it on May 2nd is interesting, no doubt about that. However, it being a b-sides cd would more so explain why it's only selling for $10.98 at Amazon. You should use that in your argument. Double discs can cost up to 30 dollars in some stores. The whole obsession with stereoscopic images on Adam's myspace page and the way the supposed cover looks, with how it's two faces that actually form one face if you look at it closer, it would fit your argument. Have you mentioned that stuff yet?

*see*you*auntie*
04-20-2006, 11:49 AM
I can't help but feel sorry for anybody who has all their hope tied up in thinking this is a decoy/hoax/sacrificial lamb/etc. What will you guys do when all of this self-generated hype implodes and you are left with that which you believe to be 'not worthy' of Tool: 10,000 Days?

To be so caught up in believing anything beyond 10kD exists is just a setup for disappointment.

And I can only imagine what the boys from Tool must think if/when they come across this kind of skepticism. Seems like it would suck that you release an album that you poured everything into just to have people brush it off as a fake.

If ever there was an maximum, a threshold, of getting your hopes up for an album, it would be this talk of an imaginary album. I wish you guys the best of luck in recovering on May 2nd, I really do.

Quoted to illustrate the truth of the matter.

Alveolate
04-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Fair enough. I don't think we will ever agree with each other on this. So, there isn't really much sense in arguing. Your view on saying another cd will be released with it on May 2nd is interesting, no doubt about that. However, it being a b-sides cd would more so explain why it's only selling for $10.98 at Amazon. You should use that in your argument. Double discs can cost up to 30 dollars in some stores. The whole obsession with stereoscopic images on Adam's myspace page and the way the supposed cover looks, with how it's two faces that actually form one face if you look at it closer, it would fit your argument. Have you mentioned that stuff yet?

no, i haven't. but that's a good point. good to see that you CAN see my side of the arguement though. however, the whole cd being under priced for a double disc, well... that's where the 10,000 YEARS (being $24.49) CD comes into play. Amazone AND Target HAD it advertised, but i guess it got taken down. Time will tell. And with that, work time. Peace.

Illuminus
04-20-2006, 12:00 PM
This isnt a bad theory, but highly unlikely. Its fun to dream though, getting two albums would be unreal. Im happy either way, this new album is fuckin rad. Nothing will ever top Lateralus though... that album was epic and their best work in my opinion.

*see*you*auntie*
04-20-2006, 12:02 PM
"The greatest deception the devil every orchestrated was to convince the world that he did not exist."

People would rather believe a lie when the truth is unpalatable to them.

Alexandra
04-20-2006, 12:05 PM
1. All the reviews I've read of it match up with the album I'm hearing. This includes actual snippets of lyrics. We knew the line "Who are you to wave your finger?" weeks before the album leaked.First off, I'll say this now: assuming the hoax theory holds, Kabir, the band, Blair, etc. must be rendered untrustworthy sources of official information. This is because of the burden they bear in maintaining the hoax. All of them must be on the same page, so to speak, because they must be consistent in their facade. This goes for the media reviews as well, and that is why Tool understood that the media must be given 10,000 Days (instead of the "real" album). Basically, those in the media who were granted preemptive listens of the "new" album were listening to the very same leak we currently have, and thus, it follows that the media's reviews would parallel our own listens of 10,000 Days.

2. Adam Jones' comments on the new effects he is using are proven true. As a guitarist, I can tell you he easily did the most experimenting on this album compared to their past albums.Unfortunately, this is a subjective piece of evidence, and being a non-guitarist, I have no knowledge on the subject. I will say, though, that I have heard guitarists state otherwise, but only a couple out of a total of, probably, less than ten.

3. The March Newsletter and the April 7th, 2006 news update in terms of subject matter on the leaked album.I'll quickly reference my response to (1.) and state that, again, consistent with the hoax theory, it is expected that the newsletters, Blair posts, Kabir posts, Kabir review, etc. all maintain the same position, namely, that this is the new album. And they won't change their stance any time soon, unless they finally confess to the hoax. I think there was a reason why Kabir only extolled the new album in his review, and in the process, dropped little golden nuggets like one-liners and such, or this song sounds so much like this older Tool song (which is unremarkable evidence due to the fact that the album so conveniently does sound uncannily like previous albums). In my opinion, Kabir obviously prepped us with what we wanted to hear, and what we were going to hear. He only sugared ears that so desperately wanted to be sugared.

Also, it's important to note, I think, that Blair has had absolutely no hand in any of this in quite a long while. This is quite intentional, because we all know Blair's history of being a cheap little bastard. So, the band and co. decided that the burden fall to Kabir, who's always been on "our" side. I mean, look, the guy created this website--of COURSE people were going to trust him before Blair!

4. There's no reason for Tool to leak an album full of b-sides. They certainly wouldn't waste the time or money to re-record old songs. Yet, these songs have definitely been recorded recently and not 6 or 7 years ago.I agree that they were recorded fairly recently, but also that they may have been written anytime during/after Aenima's release, therefore, it didn't take them much time to write/record/produce 10,000 Days. I currently believe the following regarding the leak: I don't think it may ever be released as an official album because it doesn't need to be. The leak is going to stay just that, a leak. It served its purpose under the hoax theory and is obviously unneeded now, assuming that there is another album, the "real" new album, to be released on a certain date we do not know (which could very possibly be after May 2nd).

5. Why would they leak a song that's a tribute to Maynard's mom? In fact, why would they leak any song that was 17 minutes total with both tracks combined?To make it all the more believable. Trust me, I know it truly does sound crazy, especially with all the exceptions and the grand assumption that the most official of Tool sources are pulling our leg. But, I have to say, given Tool's history of hoaxes in general, plus the fact that they're not the biggest fans of their fans (and other evidence that I've mentioned in previous threads but doesn't apply to your comments here), I'm going with the hunch that Tool are just being pranksters, yet again.

EDIT: And sorry this took so long; I basically was almost done writing this response, and then hit the reload button or something, and it was all lost.

mike09
04-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Unfortunately, this is a subjective piece of evidence, and being a non-guitarist, I have no knowledge on the subject. I will say, though, that I have heard guitarists state otherwise, but only a couple out of a total of, probably, less than ten.

No, I find it more objective. Adam stated he was experimenting with more effects on the new album and here it is, loud and clear. He didn't stray too much from his usual style on their past albums. Using a wah-wah occasionally on Lateralus could have been considered "risky" for him. He goes way farther than that on this album.

I can't really respond to the rest of your message because it's opinion based. You believe what you believe and I believe what I believe. We won't agree with each other. I just have a feeling about that.

paradigm_shift
04-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I would love to believe this theory, but, like it or not (I for one, do like it) 10,000 days is the real deal. Live with it.

VillageIdiot
04-20-2006, 03:19 PM

You can tell they were all recorded and produced at the same time... the album sounds like that.

Same instrument sounds, same levels, etc.

VillageIdiot
04-20-2006, 03:23 PM
Well if it remains a leak, it shall be the greatest fake album leak ever. I do truly like this album.

If it's a B-sides album to accompany a true new release... well by god not only will I be happy, but it'll be a master stroke of genious.

VillageIdiot
04-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Ok, picture this:
They record a double album- Disc one, a proper album. Disc two- b-sides, unreleased shit, rarites, all rerecorded.
But then, they don't want it leaked before it's release, so they make it out like disc 2 is the album. They leak it all on purpose so people will stop hunting for the real album

In fact, they even play disc 2 to media and shit so EVERYONE thinks it's the new album.

Then on may 2nd we have 10,000 Days, but right beside it is 10,000 Years or something else which is the real new album.

Crazy? Yes. Implausible? Yes. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? Hell no.

Winner
04-20-2006, 03:30 PM
I like this theory.

As do I...

As do I. :)

tool25
04-20-2006, 03:40 PM
it is a great theory, hope like hell its real. but realistically lets not get our hopes up.

crimble
04-20-2006, 04:08 PM
“Seems like it would suck that you release an album that you poured everything into just to have people brush it off as a fake.”

But this is what I’m saying!
It doesn’t seem that after seeing what Tool created buy pouring their heart out for the last 4 albums, that this is the result of pouring their heart out. It just doesn’t make any sense to me that after 5 years and countless pouring their heart out, that this is what comes out, something is not right in Tool land to me.

bigtard
04-20-2006, 05:55 PM

What's there to say? It's obviously the same stuff.

yossaricat
04-20-2006, 06:28 PM
"I currently believe the following regarding the leak: I don't think it may ever be released as an official album because it doesn't need to be. The leak is going to stay just that, a leak. It served its purpose under the hoax theory and is obviously unneeded now, assuming that there is another album, the "real" new album, to be released on a certain date we do not know (which could very possibly be after May 2nd)."

despite what anyone may believe about tool hating the recording industry, they are still artists. these days, almost every successfull artist is either a business man or has a business man running the show (the money side of things). as artists that depend on their art as income, i highly doubt that they would just "give you" this album for "free". be a little realistic here. double album, uh maybe, it is in the so called realm of possibility. but think of it this way for a sec: the dominant force on this album is wings for marie 1&2 and there just so happens to be exactly 11 songs on this album. then again maybe i am the one reading too much into these things....

mikeisilluminati
04-20-2006, 06:47 PM
From Kabirs mouth:
And so, it was time for "Viginti Tres." But my host was running late for dinner, and I was as well. It's another segue, I was told. I'll hear it soon, I said. We left the ... booth. last song.

VillageIdiot
04-20-2006, 07:13 PM
Is it interesting that the last song is described as a segue? Does that imply more to follow?

SayOw
04-20-2006, 07:13 PM
So essentially all the 'hoax' and 'sacrificial lamb' theories about the leaked release are because some don't like the new Tool album? Other than pure speculation I have yet to see an actual FACT that would have a person begin to speculate that the leaked version is a decoy or anything but the real version...

If you don't like the new Tool that's fine with me...makes getting tickets for the May 12th show a little easier for me...

And I too must quote Fd2Blk because I think he has put it best...

"If ever there was an maximum, a threshold, of getting your hopes up for an album, it would be this talk of an imaginary album. I wish you guys the best of luck in recovering on May 2nd, I really do."

Alveolate
04-20-2006, 07:15 PM
You can tell they were all recorded and produced at the same time... the album sounds like that.

Same instrument sounds, same levels, etc.
with the actual mix tapes, you can change any level.

VillageIdiot
04-20-2006, 08:14 PM
with the actual mix tapes, you can change any level.

Yeah but you can't change the fact that, for example, Adam Jones was using totally different gear in the Undertow era, and totally different gear in the AEnima era, and different gear again in the Lateralus era.

And the album's sounds seem pretty homogenised to me.

Plus Maynard sounds undeniably different too. In a good way, but different.

VillageIdiot
04-20-2006, 08:22 PM
Also, does the fact that a lot of the track names sound like working titles (Jambi, Rosetta Stoned, The Pot?) lend a bit of creedence to this implausible theory.

Funny, anyhow. :)

manghu67
04-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Consider what proloific and accomplished musicians the members of Tool are.

Five years is a VERY long time to work on anything, let alone an album. Imagine the sheer volume of material that those four could have hammered out during that time. I'm no musical genius myself, but I've written 11 strong, technically demanding songs in two months before. These guys are beyond brilliant, have tremendous resources at their disposal (unlike myself) and they've had five years to get this album together....

Is it not inconcievable that perhaps the leaked album was just a taste of what's to come?

Besides, knowing Tool's penchant for misinformation and the general fucking with of people, I wouldn't put it past them to have orchestrated the leak themselves.

That said, sacrifical lamb or not, the leaked material is trully brilliant. You just have to be open to it. Latteralus was a departure too. All you naysayers, I have a word for you - the word is HEADPHONES.

Man, I can't wait for May 2nd.

Echo Flanger
04-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Um, but a lot of people will just think what they have downloaded is the real album, and won't buy it because of that.

By releasing a "sacrificial lamb" they'd still be costing themselves money. Then, the people who didn't buy it would just download the 11 new tracks when they're spread across the internet on May 2nd.

Exactly. This happened with the latest Dredg album a year ago. A demo version with lots of weird noise interludes leaked and it was credited as the real thing, but the actual album sounded a lot better. I'm sure many people were turned off by how the internet fake version sounded...

asears05
04-21-2006, 06:09 AM
Is it interesting that the last song is described as a segue? Does that imply more to follow?

If the definition of the word is any indication one would have to assume so. Something cant be defined as a segue if nothing follows it.

Inner_Eulogy
04-21-2006, 11:13 AM
Holy crap thats right! I knew I heard that somewhere before! I have seen the Oklahoma City 2002 Concert on DVD and they played that. Weird stuff right there.

SO TRUE, I remember this being played live when I saw them during lateralus tour. Holy shit man.....you fuckers are getting my hopes up.

Inner_Eulogy
04-21-2006, 01:23 PM
YOU'RE ALL WRONG!!! I made this album and forced Maynard to sing on it with my Super Soaker....

Dredg
04-21-2006, 03:32 PM

oh ya? lets hear some proof on that.

Dredg
04-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Exactly. This happened with the latest Dredg album a year ago. A demo version with lots of weird noise interludes leaked and it was credited as the real thing, but the actual album sounded a lot better. I'm sure many people were turned off by how the internet fake version sounded...

um this did not happen. The songs for Catch without Arms were all played live before the album came out. The leak was of these new songs.

seneca77
04-21-2006, 09:54 PM
personally, i do not believe this theory crap. BUT, for the love of TOOL, i hope you guys are right. if the band read this about their album, and as i suspect, it turns out to actually be the real album, what are all of you "fans" going to do then? this album is brilliant, not comedic. imagine spending years of your life creating this and reading that your fans think its a joke. if all of these theories are wrong, and this is the album, the egg will not easily wipe off of your face.

Carpeljet
04-21-2006, 10:11 PM
I like this theory based on the fact that there is a "10,000 days import" coming out may 16th if you check amazon

abrack29
04-21-2006, 10:42 PM
“Seems like it would suck that you release an album that you poured everything into just to have people brush it off as a fake.”

But this is what I’m saying!
It doesn’t seem that after seeing what Tool created buy pouring their heart out for the last 4 albums, that this is the result of pouring their heart out. It just doesn’t make any sense to me that after 5 years and countless pouring their heart out, that this is what comes out, something is not right in Tool land to me.

Translation: The album wasn't what I wanted/expected, so it must be fake.

seneca77
04-21-2006, 10:52 PM
i would love to witness the collective dissapointment you will all suffer from when you realize this is the actual latest tool album.

Squishy
04-22-2006, 05:29 AM
Ok, picture this:
They record a double album- Disc one, a proper album. Disc two- b-sides, unreleased shit, rarites, all rerecorded.
But then, they don't want it leaked before it's release, so they make it out like disc 2 is the album. They leak it all on purpose so people will stop hunting for the real album

In fact, they even play disc 2 to media and shit so EVERYONE thinks it's the new album.

Then on may 2nd we have 10,000 Days, but right beside it is 10,000 Years or something else which is the real new album.

Crazy? Yes. Implausible? Yes. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? Hell no.

I've always laughed at people calling out for a 'hoax', because, Jeez, the songs are out there and so they are 'real' in a literal sense. But this theory that what has been released so far is just a 'bait' and extra treat, that they compiled tracks from 'left over' bits into a shorter album - rerecorded or not - I find intriguing. Not that I don't like '10000 days', I really do, but it is indeed a rather short album with strong reminiscene of the Lateralus album and its artwork. I wouldn't look at it as 'decoy' or 'hoax', but them just doubling the treat and fooling the internet piracy legions along the way.

Note that the stereoscope pictures in the booklet may be a great metaphor for this. You know, that there's a 2nd picture you have to look at to get the 'full picture'.

I must be giving this credit just for my unsatiable appetite for new Tool stuff :-)

Dr. Strangefist
04-22-2006, 05:56 AM
Jesus christ, I don't understand what is SO disapointing about this album that everybody is buying into this kind of delusional crap. Or do you all believe every dumbass conspiracy theory you read about? There are going to be a lot of disapointed, embarassed people come May 2nd.

Alveolate
04-22-2006, 05:58 AM
like i said, if i'm wrong, i won't be losing anything. however, if i'm right, i'll only be gaining something. so it doesn't hurt to think this is a hoax. nothing to lose, another album to gain.

spiiiral
04-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Jesus christ, I don't understand what is SO disapointing about this album that everybody is buying into this kind of delusional crap. Or do you all believe every dumbass conspiracy theory you read about? There are going to be a lot of disapointed, embarassed people come May 2nd.

not to sound like a bitch, but this album leaves something to be desired. yes, i personally like it, because i love tools overall sound in general. but i also think that a few of these songs sound too much like a perfect circle lyrics (YES im well aware of the fact that theyre two different bands. dont start in on me for referencing APC on a tool site), and i really heavily agree with this mentioned theory.

so what if it may cost them money or may be expensive to pull off this entire hoax. if you know anything about the band in general you know that they are not in it for the money or the fame, they are in it because they are artists and are passionate about their music.

theyre innovative and intelligent as a whole, and i refuse to believe that "this is it," especially after blair's comment about "the key is right in front of you" when referring to those that had written in analyzing the symbolism of the album cover.

the cover is one face made from two faces. its blatantly obvious..and i think that the april 1 april fools thread has a lot of valid points as well.

this album seems short, certain riffs are reused from past songs, and song themes coincide too heavily with a perfect circle themes.

blair promised people on may 22nd that we "wouldnt be disappointed"

tool KNOWS quality music. and though this is far better than anything else out there (in my opinion) and i really do enjoy it, they wouldnt settle to just MEET our expectations on such an anticipated album.

Dr. Strangefist
04-22-2006, 11:25 AM
but none of that even remotely proves that this isn't the real deal. The album seems short? My iTunes says it's 1 hr 16 min. Seems plenty long. Certain riffs are reused? I don't hear completely reused riffs. I hear similar ideas, but that's not particularly unusual for Tool, or any band. They have a signiture sound that they stick to. Besides, there are some really new ideas mixed in with the old ones. But then, that just freaks out the fans too. They want Tool to totally blow them away but they don't actually want them to try new things like different lyrical themes, different vocals, slightly different playing etc. Everybody has this crazy image of Tool built up in their heads, like they are gods that only produce mind-blowing music. Well, they're human beings. You're right, they know quality music, and they try to meet and exceed expectations. Maybe, it might just be possible, that they felt this WAS quality music, that this WOULD exceed fans' expectations, and that this IS best material they could create this time around. And I think it's pretty damn good, but so many people seem to have these insane unrealistic expectations that are clouding their judgement. Rather than accept disapointment - I mean admit that maybe Tool is capable of disapointing the fans a little, or just that this you don't like this particular album as much - everyone is trying to rationalize by coming up with these theories.

Tone Loc
04-22-2006, 11:27 AM
- Tool has a bunch of songs that they have yet to “officially” release on any recording
- These songs were from other sessions or just songs created not particularly for any specific album just songs made because they are artists and they like to create
- They use a new Alex Grey painting (Net of Being) to associate the tracks with the Lateralus era
- They expect this album to be leaked, almost do it themselvs to make the fans stop hunting for the "other project"
- The CD production will be done in some real crazy off shore, 3rd world, never heard of Tool before country like Canada or something :)
- The new CD’s will be stored in 1 central location until a day or two before release
- The new CD will then be brought to stores almost overnight and sold, ALONG SIDE of 10,000 days.
- The real promotion really doesn't start until the tour and a few singles are out anyway
- As Tool fans, we will buy as many albums as they put out, so why wouldn't this work?
- They stop an internet leak, so that at least 11 of their tracks don’t get eaten up on the internet before release date

Please Jeebus, be true.

You people are insane.

Absent Mind
04-22-2006, 12:06 PM
How can you sit back and listen to The Pot, then listen to Rosetta Stoned and think that these songs, albeit good songs, belong on the same album??? When I first heard No Quarter, there was NO DOUBT in my mind that it was recorded during AEnima. Then later I read it WAS recorded during those sessions. Go listen to Jimmy, then listen to Pushit, then listen to Rosetta Stoned. The music Sounds like it's from the same Tool era. I don't think they re-recorded anything but maybe added to and remastered old material.

The Pot? C'mon guys!!! How can you sit back and say that it's a fresh new track? It's so obvius that it's from the days of undertow...

I really like the new stuff that has leaked, tey I am very skeptical that this is it. I can't wait for May 2nd for the final piece of the puzzle.

spiiiral
04-22-2006, 12:13 PM
drstrangefist:

definitely man. i appreciate what youre saying. i do like this album..and i know its 1.2 hours on my itunes but it "feels" shorter than the others

::shrugs:: just goin w. instinct here

spiiiral
04-22-2006, 12:14 PM
How can you sit back and listen to The Pot, then listen to Rosetta Stoned and think that these songs, albeit good songs, belong on the same album??? When I first heard No Quarter, there was NO DOUBT in my mind that it was recorded during AEnima. Then later I read it WAS recorded during those sessions. Go listen to Jimmy, then listen to Pushit, then listen to Rosetta Stoned. The music Sounds like it's from the same Tool era. I don't think they re-recorded anything but maybe added to and remastered old material.

The Pot? C'mon guys!!! How can you sit back and say that it's a fresh new track? It's so obvius that it's from the days of undertow...

I really like the new stuff that has leaked, tey I am very skeptical that this is it. I can't wait for May 2nd for the final piece of the puzzle.

we seem to be in perfect agreement

hah

ericwas
04-22-2006, 12:38 PM
what about the .m4a formating of the leak....anyone find that kinda odd?

spiiiral
04-22-2006, 12:50 PM
what about the .m4a formating of the leak....anyone find that kinda odd?

i did

i was under the impression .m4a was a format used only with itunes

though i know little about various formats and whatnot. just that i had to find a program to convert all the music i bought from itunes to MP3 so i could play it on my MP3 player that ISNT an ipod.

what would that even mean though?

Dr. Strangefist
04-22-2006, 12:56 PM

but your instincts/speculation, no matter how accurate they were once before, are not enough proof.

Couldn't that just mean they wrote a song now that was similar in style to what they did in the Undertow days? There doesn't have to be a constant, linear progression in the development of their sound. And besides, saying that it sounds just like something from Undertow is still just your opinion. I see the similarities, but I could just as easily say that it sounds like something from... 10,000 Days

I guess I agree. I'm surprised that so many people are believing these theories, but I guess I can see why. I'll shit myself in disbelief and eat my hat if we actually get a whole other album on May 2nd. I really don't think it'll happen. But hey, if it does I won't complain.

lucydog
04-22-2006, 12:57 PM
i think the itunes format SUPPORTS that it was stolen. thats just me. its an easy, pretty much standard program for ripping cds. the ipod is the new crack right now. everyone and their mom has one. it seems to me, if someone stole a cd from the facility, to take it home and slap it on the net, they would use a simple, free program like itunes. a hoax leak would probably be mp3 format. thats just my opinion, and we all know what they say about that.

Dr. Strangefist
04-22-2006, 12:58 PM
i did

i was under the impression .m4a was a format used only with itunes

though i know little about various formats and whatnot. just that i had to find a program to convert all the music i bought from itunes to MP3 so i could play it on my MP3 player that ISNT an ipod.

what would that even mean though?

I think it could just mean that whoever leaked it imported a promo copy into itunes in m4a format, and those were the files they shared.

tomXwithXweather
04-22-2006, 01:00 PM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=42881&highlight=topic

Perhaps the sacrificial lamb theory explains why the album is only $9.99 when new CDs are usually more at Hot Topic, according to U4ia.

Dr. Strangefist
04-22-2006, 01:14 PM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=42881&highlight=topic

Perhaps the sacrificial lamb theory explains why the album is only $9.99 when new CDs are usually more at Hot Topic, according to U4ia.

First of all, sometimes we get lucky and the label and band decide to sell a CD for cheap, just like the guy said in that thread. So it doesn't really lend that much creedence to the theory.

And second, sometimes (in fact, often) albums are on sale on the day they are released. Places like Circuit City and Tower do that all the time. It's cheap the first day, or even the first few days, then they raise the price up to normal. Perhaps the price this dude's friend heard was the sale price.

drone007
04-22-2006, 02:04 PM

well the turkey had two hearts or something, right?

but anyway, blair specifically came out in the newsletter and said ONE CD, not TWO. now, we can take that as a real statement or possibly a red herring because he never seems to give up info that readily.

tangent
04-22-2006, 02:18 PM

Please Jeebus, be true.

Yep. :D

hawk1646
04-22-2006, 02:23 PM
Well...as Danny Carey said about the Lateralus "extra stuff" and songs not used on the actual album...perhaps these are B-sides but not from Laterlus, but rather from 10,000 Days...these are the songs that they completed recording but decided not to put onto the official CD. Most bands nowadays record an upwards of 20 songs, and pick the 10 or 11 best songs to put onto the CD. Maybe that's what's going on here? Just adding my two cents...but it seems the piggybank is overflowing already.

Parabolee
04-22-2006, 02:46 PM
Now I want to believe this only because I want 2 albums. But I love 10,000 days I believe that it is probably the real album.

Have you guys seen these images of the album case. -

http://www.fourtheye.net/images/xmdays_package.jpg

http://www.fourtheye.net/

Looks real to me, and far too complex and cool of a case for a "b-side" album.

hawk1646
04-22-2006, 02:49 PM
Maybe this is the May 16th import case. I don't know. Ten bucks seems a little cheap for all of that...looks neat though!

knot0fvipers
04-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Couldn't that just mean they wrote a song now that was similar in style to what they did in the Undertow days?

haha comeon, its tool...no band i have ever listened to has progressed the way they have. so they just randomly decide to record in a 10 year old style, and even decide to make it sound like a remastered recording of a 10 year old track where danny is clearly not playing the same drum kit(listen to tone of the hats) he normally does now, maynard sounds like he did 10 years ago, the guitar distortion sounds way different than what they have done since that time, the bass playing sounds way different(wonder why that could be???;).
We are getting the pot as a b side because i think its probly a pretty important track to them historically. I would guess it was recorded after undertow right when they started experimenting with their new style but it still sounded to old to sit on aenima.
I think the b side album sounds fantastic as single tracks, but how can you possibly say it FEELS like an album? All 4 albums prior have a specific feel to the tracks that make each track really only be able to sit on the album its on. The bsides as an album has the feel of a mish mash of what they have done in the past because IT IS!! Is that illogical?
We have only heard the bsides, we havent heard the meshuggah influenced, danny on his crazy new midi kit, selma snake dance songs yet that they were jamming 10 hours a day for a year to make.

tangent
04-22-2006, 03:28 PM
Now I want to believe this only because I want 2 albums. But I love 10,000 days I believe that it is probably the real album.

Have you guys seen these images of the album case. -

http://www.fourtheye.net/images/xmdays_package.jpg

http://www.fourtheye.net/

Looks real to me, and far too complex and cool of a case for a "b-side" album.

The red totally clashes with the navy y0 O.o

Absent Mind
04-22-2006, 10:39 PM
haha comeon, its tool...no band i have ever listened to has progressed the way they have. so they just randomly decide to record in a 10 year old style, and even decide to make it sound like a remastered recording of a 10 year old track where danny is clearly not playing the same drum kit(listen to tone of the hats) he normally does now, maynard sounds like he did 10 years ago, the guitar distortion sounds way different than what they have done since that time, the bass playing sounds way different(wonder why that could be???;).
We are getting the pot as a b side because i think its probly a pretty important track to them historically. I would guess it was recorded after undertow right when they started experimenting with their new style but it still sounded to old to sit on aenima.
I think the b side album sounds fantastic as single tracks, but how can you possibly say it FEELS like an album? All 4 albums prior have a specific feel to the tracks that make each track really only be able to sit on the album its on. The bsides as an album has the feel of a mish mash of what they have done in the past because IT IS!! Is that illogical?
We have only heard the bsides, we havent heard the meshuggah influenced, danny on his crazy new midi kit, selma snake dance songs yet that they were jamming 10 hours a day for a year to make.

Exactly. Something is amiss... Its not a cohesive album, and correct me if i'm wrong but I can't connect the songs together in any way. They don't sound like they belong together. When I listen to the leaked tracks, I fell like I am being taken through a musical Tool montage... like a sample cd of everything they used to be. Then the OTHER MAIN CD will come out, and truly will show us just how truly awesome Tool is. (crossing fingers)

Absent Mind
04-22-2006, 10:44 PM
Here's another thing... check the .M4A info in Itunes or in Winamp and see how Vicarious has different album information than the other tracks. The album name listed it called "TeLE." Could this possibly point to a double disc? A La Smashing Pumpkins with Melloncollie & the Infinite Sadness being the whole album title and disc 1 being Twighlight to Starlight, and disc 2 being Dawn to Dusk.

Maybe 10,000 Days is the main album title and disc one being TeLE and disc 2 being Incision... Remember the Teleincision rumor?

Dr. Strangefist
04-23-2006, 12:12 AM
Here's another thing... check the .M4A info in Itunes or in Winamp and see how Vicarious has different album information than the other tracks. The album name listed it called "TeLE."

What? No, it doesn't. It says "10,000 Days," the same album info as the other tracks.

caliphornia
04-23-2006, 12:29 AM
this is the real album guys, stop fooling yourselves.

erazorhead
04-23-2006, 05:51 AM
Here's another thing... check the .M4A info in Itunes or in Winamp and see how Vicarious has different album information than the other tracks. The album name listed it called "TeLE." Could this possibly point to a double disc? A La Smashing Pumpkins with Melloncollie & the Infinite Sadness being the whole album title and disc 1 being Twighlight to Starlight, and disc 2 being Dawn to Dusk.

Maybe 10,000 Days is the main album title and disc one being TeLE and disc 2 being Incision... Remember the Teleincision rumor?

im picking up what you're putting down dude
TELEINCISION May 2, just like i've been saying all along

Absent Mind
04-23-2006, 08:19 AM
What? No, it doesn't. It says "10,000 Days," the same album info as the other tracks.

Well, I got my tracks right from where everyone else did at the same time, and the file info on Vicarious says TeLE for the album title. Check it out:
http://www.absentmindband.com/shizzle/tele.jpg

And no, I did not alter the file info. That is how I got it. I think that could be a link to something...

Dr. Strangefist
04-23-2006, 10:27 AM
total bulllshit

knot0fvipers
04-23-2006, 11:01 AM
no i just noticed that too in itunes, vicarious album info says TeLE

i dont know what to believe with this at this point, i was ready to go back to not believing the conspiracy this morning.

this just struck me listening...
skip to 5.50 into right in two and listen to 6.50

doesnt that just sound like them jamming? Listen to how loud the guitar comes in, thats not even close to being properly mixed by a big shot music producer.

mike09
04-23-2006, 11:34 AM
thats not even close to being properly mixed by a big shot music producer.

Tool produced this album themselves.

Masterangelbasher
04-23-2006, 11:46 AM
Wow...lots to say.....but I'll give you the synopsis..
2 things tell me somthings fishy...Not that it stinnks, but perhaps there's more to the story.
1.People keep saying the production values jump up and down, but I'd say that's more a tribute to the flow of the playlist, not the production, Which is pristine. This one just jumps around. I don't want to pigeon-hole them, but there is no unifying theme. Very un-Tool-like. The only central message I can dig out of this one, involves Lucifer and you guys don't want to hear that one. (i've tried, I know)....So back to #1. No Tool like flow to the album.

2.I know it's a single, but Vicarious sticks out like a sore thumb!!!!! I know songs intended as singles often have that over-produced sparkle, but it's not the production, It just doesn't seem to fit.

mike09
04-23-2006, 12:01 PM
Well, I got my tracks right from where everyone else did at the same time, and the file info on Vicarious says TeLE for the album title. Check it out:
http://www.absentmindband.com/shizzle/tele.jpg

And no, I did not alter the file info. That is how I got it. I think that could be a link to something...

It's possible the person did it themselves when they leaked it on the internet. Sort of as a joke, ya know.

drone007
04-23-2006, 12:02 PM
in regards to The Pot, it was said by TOOL already that we are living under the most retarded president in history, which is similar to how they felt under Reagan... long story short, this CD is angry like Undertow was.

Bogart
04-23-2006, 12:27 PM
10,000 Days doesn't sound like an album, more like a collection of songs.

Masterangelbasher
04-23-2006, 12:52 PM
Well put Patriot Act

Elementz
04-23-2006, 12:59 PM
10,000 Days doesn't sound like an album, more like a collection of songs.

Werd.