PDA

View Full Version : Hoax Warrants Consideration

kubrick
04-19-2006, 10:52 AM
There are several things that lead me to believe this is fake:

1. The lyrics not only aren't good, they aren't Tool. "Sh*t the Bed?", "Monkeys" Come on.

2. The Pot - Enough said.

3. Vicarious was "accidentally" leaked on Good Friday, 3 days before it was to hit the airwaves. This is the "first track" on this "album". However, it is the only track that has the same production qualities and intricacies as earlier albums. The other tracks are very lacking, not only musically, but technically. LIsten to Vicarious and then the other tracks and you'll see what I mean. So in essance, if it were a fake, then they would have to "leak" Vicarious, for it to be real and on radio stations, and then all of a sudden, one day after the radio single, release the whole "album" to make it all seem real and in sync. Very well done.

4. No one has ever claimed to take so many precautions to prevent an album from leaking, and it has leaked earlier than any album in the history of recording.

5. What is the original source for the download? Does anyone know? Probably Tool themselves.

6. Regardless as to whether this is the real album or not, "die-hard" Tool fans should admit that this is not up to par. If it's real, it's a step down, if it's fake, thank goodness. This album shouldn't be liked just because it's Tool.

7. Where are the memorable melodies of Maynard? Even Laturalus was a large departure from previous albums, but still has "Saturn ascends, chose one or ten..." and "I must keep reminding myself of this..." etc. None of these memorable moments happens other than on Vicarious - the only real track.

8. If any band out there has the power and capability to pull something like this off, then it's Tool.

9. Remember, Kabir likes his pranks (April Fools): hence his review convieniently showing up "1 week later"....gimme a break. This is a very sophisticated prank, and I'm just glad I didn't fall for it. If it's not a prank, then my foot will be in my mouth.

Nonetheless, it would be foolish to dismiss this as a possibility considering the lack of information we have. Tool and Kabir are teaching us a lesson. In two weeks, I'll either look like a genius or complete idiot.

shorabali
04-19-2006, 10:54 AM
proabaly idiot

xmorteferoz
04-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Definitely "idiot."

Valediction
04-19-2006, 10:56 AM
I just hope you go away and spare us more of the exhaust fumes from the back of your mind, definately wouldnt' pass inspection.

Sasha
I really want to believe, but I have a feeling I'll be satisifed as is.

psilomind
Definitely "idiot."

Ocelot199
04-19-2006, 10:57 AM
No one has ever claimed to take so many precautions to prevent an album from leaking, and it has leaked earlier than any album in the history of recording.
I stopped reading here.

Ignorance will only get you so far. Then you just look stupid.

Kurt Russell
04-19-2006, 10:57 AM
Oh my goddddddddddddddd shut upppppppppppp

Edit: not you oce

Windir
04-19-2006, 10:58 AM
4. No one has ever claimed to take so many precautions to prevent an album from leaking, and it has leaked earlier than any album in the history of recording.

This is where I stopped reading.
In Flames' new album was leaked 4 months before the release.
'Nuff said.

kubrick
04-19-2006, 11:00 AM
There is no evidence to support that it isn't a fake. If you have it, come forward.

Ocelot199
04-19-2006, 11:02 AM
There is no evidence to support that it isn't a fake. If you have it, come forward.
Its 2 weeks before its scheduled release. The reason it leaked is probably because somebody snagged on off a packaging line at a distribution center. If a 'real' album was going to be released in 2 weeks, it would have been the one snagged from the packaging line, not 10,000 Days.

Evidence enough for you?

kubrick
04-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Not even close.

Cronos
04-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Nonetheless, it would be foolish to dismiss this as a possibility considering the lack of information we have. Tool and Kabir are teaching us a lesson. In two weeks, I'll either look like a genius or complete idiot.

I was on top of the hoax bit before you, so I'll look like the genius here and everyone will praise me for speaking out against the man. Right now though, it's hard to keep fighting the good fight. So, support my thread and all will be well.

Ocelot199
04-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Then you obviously have no idea how retailers work.

In places like Australia, the release is 9 days away (April 28th). It is completely impossible to suddenly switch albums 9 days before release.

clarity.
04-19-2006, 11:07 AM
Another reason: so many recurring musical elements from Tool's past work.

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 11:08 AM

1. The lyrics not only aren't good, they aren't Tool. "Sh*t the Bed?", "Monkeys" Come on.

3. Vicarious was "accidentally" leaked on Good Friday, 3 days before it was to hit the airwaves. This is the "first track" on this "album". However, it is the only track that has the same production qualities and intricacies as earlier albums. The other tracks are very lacking, not only musically, but technically. LIsten to Vicarious and then the other tracks and you'll see what I mean. So in essance, if it were a fake, then they would have to "leak" Vicarious, for it to be real and on radio stations, and then all of a sudden, one day after the radio single, release the whole "album" to make it all seem real and in sync. Very well done.

5. What is the original source for the download? Does anyone know? Probably Tool themselves.

6. Regardless as to whether this is the real album or not, "die-hard" Tool fans should admit that this is not up to par. If it's real, it's a step down, if it's fake, thank goodness. This album shouldn't be liked just because it's Tool.

7. Where are the memorable melodies of Maynard? Even Laturalus was a large departure from previous albums, but still has "Saturn ascends, chose one or ten..." and "I must keep reminding myself of this..." etc. None of these memorable moments happens other than on Vicarious - the only real track.

8. If any band out there has the power and capability to pull something like this off, then it's Tool.

9. Remember, Kabir likes his pranks (April Fools): hence his review convieniently showing up "1 week later"....gimme a break. This is a very sophisticated prank, and I'm just glad I didn't fall for it. If it's not a prank, then my foot will be in my mouth.

you are motherfucking wrong, bro.

Sine Nobilitas
04-19-2006, 11:09 AM
You guys are forgetting one very important thing. Even if it is a fake, the "real" album is going to have to go through the same distribution lines as this one. So its going to get snagged and leaked just the same. How does this change anything? I don't think just because we have a new album people won't notice when something else by Tool is suddenly about to ship out.

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I was on top of the hoax bit before you, so I'll look like the genius here and everyone will praise me for speaking out against the man. Right now though, it's hard to keep fighting the good fight. So, support my thread and all will be well.

So, I was on top of you too? I had already changed direction before you even started talking about it. So, I am pretty much one step ahead.

SomethingSpecial
04-19-2006, 11:13 AM
are you kidding me, am I actually reading this?? The album was amazing (for me). A hoax? Give me a fucking break.

Cronos
04-19-2006, 11:20 AM
So, I was on top of you too? I had already changed direction before you even started talking about it. So, I am pretty much one step ahead.

Actually, you were tapping into the collective unconscious, and we both happened to strike onto the same ideas at relatively the same time. My post derived from listening to the album, and not the Vicarious is a hoax gig.

Aemima
04-19-2006, 11:22 AM
You guys are forgetting one very important thing. Even if it is a fake, the "real" album is going to have to go through the same distribution lines as this one. So its going to get snagged and leaked just the same. How does this change anything? I don't think just because we have a new album people won't notice when something else by Tool is suddenly about to ship out.

But there's no evidence that that's how it was leaked is there?

I'm not sure if I buy the whole hoax thing either, but the band could have quite easily leaked this thierselves to make it look like it had been stolen or whatever, it'd be a pretty clever move imo.

If this is real then i'm still very happy with it, but I have a nagging feeling that somethings not quite right. Come May 1st i'll be happy either way.

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Actually, you were tapping into the collective unconscious, and we both happened to strike onto the same ideas at relatively the same time. My post derived from listening to the album, and not the Vicarious is a hoax gig.

Hey man, I smelled the bullshit BEFORE the leak!!!

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 11:23 AM
That pretty much means that I am better than you.

Alexandra
04-19-2006, 11:28 AM
Dude! I was around like 3-4 days ago with the same hoax idea (I think I may post mine later). Don't know if I posted early enough to snag a victory, though.

Alveolate
04-19-2006, 11:29 AM
i posted a thread on this too (http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=42016). same results/responses. we'll just have to see.

Cronos
04-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Hey man, I smelled the bullshit BEFORE the leak!!!
Ok, so you MAY have posted it first technically, but you posted it in the crappiest section on the boards. Mine was posted where it would get more hits. You must admit though, that it is time once again to embrace the hoax.

Cronos
04-19-2006, 11:31 AM
Only more evidence of the collective unconscious that Dr. Carl Jung spoke of.

WE ARE ALL ONE MIND!

toolloot
04-19-2006, 11:32 AM
I'm staying neutral on this fake or not thing. I have no strong feelings either way. If it is fake, then as far as I'm concerned we'll be getting two sweet CDs. I doubt it's fake because a lot of things that were reported to be on the album, are on the album. For example, the Talk Box Adam uses etc.

Asmo
04-19-2006, 11:35 AM
Anyone who is still considering that this could be fake, need to keep away from the drugs a bit I think........that's the most stupid reasoning I've heard in a long long time. Even though the entire album has leaked and is amazing ........."NO NO !! WE'RE STILL BEING FUCKED WITH I CAN FEEL IT. BLAIR IS GOING TO POST SOMETHING CRYPTIC AND ITS GOING TO PROVE THAT THIS IS ALL A HOAX! YOU'RE ALL SUCKERS !!!!"

No, you're just psychotic.

toolloot
04-19-2006, 11:36 AM
It's Tool's fault for fucking with us in the past.

Cronos
04-19-2006, 11:36 AM
Anyone who is still considering that this could be fake, need to keep away from the drugs a bit I think........that's the most stupid reasoning I've heard in a long long time. Even though the entire album has leaked and is amazing ........."NO NO !! WE'RE STILL BEING FUCKED WITH I CAN FEEL IT. BLAIR IS GOING TO POST SOMETHING CRYPTIC AND ITS GOING TO PROVE THAT THIS IS ALL A HOAX! YOU'RE ALL SUCKERS !!!!"

No, you're just psychotic.

Blair didn't post anything cryptic, he even alluded to Tool working on a decoy album. If that's cryptic, then I don't know straightforwardness.

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 11:42 AM
Ok, so you MAY have posted it first technically, but you posted it in the crappiest section on the boards. Mine was posted where it would get more hits. You must admit though, that it is time once again to embrace the hoax.

Man, my threads were deleted! At least the very direct ones.

Also, D-Day Daddy (aka Blair) pretty much knew and told what was going on with a few others. And this was after Vicarious had leaked.

I started going on about it when I recovered from Vicarious-disbelief and disgust. I just didn´t have a confirmation yet that I was right! People were saying that I was an idiot.

when I said that I lied they congratulated me for a good hoax. Hehe.

CroyezAuRien
04-19-2006, 11:44 AM

This guy is [no].

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 11:46 AM
This guy is gay.

this guy is probated.

Cronos
04-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Yea, I know, it's hard to know what blair means, and what he meant by a decoy. This is hard to believe for a lot of people, and I myself admit it's a lot of work gone into a decoy album. At times, there are moments of beauty on this album when you think that this is the best that Tool has to offer. Well, maybe it is, and the actual real album got leaked before the decoy album was supposed to be distributed. BOGGLE!

Maybe the decoy was just supposed to be nothing but noise and filler!

Alexandra
04-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Perseensilmä, you were referring to this thread, right?

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=41199

Sine Nobilitas
04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Question: How many of you who believe it is a hoax smoke weed on a regular basis?

This is for scientific purposes, please answer accurately.

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 11:51 AM
Perseensilmä, you were referring to this thread, right?

http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=41199

That and many others. I don´t know if those all still exist.

CroyezAuRien
04-19-2006, 11:52 AM
The fact people still think this is a hoax is fucking bull. Not liking the albums new direction does not equate to it being a hoax.

Tell you what, if it is a hoax, I won't feel like a tit at all for thinking this is real, not with the amount of effort they've put into it.

People moaned because they waited ages for an album, and now you have it (earlier tha you should) some of you still arn't happy.

This is farcical situation.

livingdecay
04-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Yeah, everyone here wants to look intelligent by treating others like shit. I would like to believe your theory, although I find it highly unlikely that the band would orchestrate something so deeply. Who knows?

waffel
04-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Its a decoy, blair said so.

a_sirian_in_agony
04-19-2006, 12:00 PM
tool have made us paranoid over the years....were the dogs who are beaten before dinner and now were scared to like it when they walk away....this sucks...

Lagomorph
04-19-2006, 12:03 PM
you are gonna get B& waffel.

livingdecay
04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
Question: How many of you who believe it is a hoax smoke weed on a regular basis?

Paranoid delusions? Haha.
*eyes room suspiciously*

s62
04-19-2006, 12:13 PM
This board is utterly amazing.
And I mean that in the lowest, worst kind of way.
Between an idiotic rambling (no point in even attacking Kubrick point-by-point... he defeats himself), and people arguing who started an idiotic hoax idea first (so, being the first one makes you.... even more worthless?), this thread represents far too accurately everything unpleasant, undeveloped, and pubescent about this board. No wonder Tool is so harsh towards their 'fans' sometimes.

Alveolate
04-19-2006, 12:17 PM

that's probably the most irrelevant and ignorant question i have seen on this board.

i don't think this album is a HOAX..... i just think there's going to be MORE to it than just what's out there. i believe that what we have heard (or most of us) WILL be released on May 2nd along with something else.

Cinnamon
04-19-2006, 12:19 PM
fucking moron.

stop pretending it's a hoax and admit that you're too much of a pussy to listen to it.

spiral out.

livingdecay
04-19-2006, 12:23 PM
Why even post in the first place? At the least, you can be respectful to the "pubescent" among us. They are kids, after all. Whatever.

Cinnamon
04-19-2006, 12:25 PM
;_;

Imagine1980
04-19-2006, 12:26 PM
It's fake because "days" backwards is syad which stands for See You're All Dumb for believing this is real. I'm just kidding, I find it hard to believe that this album is fake.

T-13h
04-19-2006, 12:26 PM
If this is a hoax, I don't want the real thing.

Tertius Oculum
04-19-2006, 12:29 PM

I don't. I'm not as weak as the rest of the fanbase.

I think the leak is wonderful and amazing, but like someone said, it just doesn't seem to add up.

Cinnamon
04-19-2006, 12:31 PM
yeah it's great material, but i'll admit, something seems fishy. as if it was made by imposters. great imposters, imo.

a_sirian_in_agony
04-19-2006, 12:42 PM
they could of inlisted the dudes who did the doom 3 track to write the album....while they were making the real one....its possible...but if not...who fucking cares anymore...its just tool...

Alveolate
04-19-2006, 12:44 PM
fucking moron.

stop pretending it's a hoax and admit that you're too much of a pussy to listen to it.

spiral out.

i haven't downloaded it. it's not that i don't want to... i just don't think i should. i'd rather wait. it has nothing to do with being a pussy, it has a lot to do with respect.

spiral out.

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Cmon guys, just listen to the Wings for Marie/10,000 Days and The Pot, then go inside yourself and seek the thruth.

Cinnamon
04-19-2006, 12:52 PM
i haven't downloaded it. it's not that i don't want to... i just don't think i should. i'd rather wait. it has nothing to do with being a pussy, it has a lot to do with respect.

spiral out.

it has everything to do with pussy.

spiral out.

livingdecay
04-19-2006, 12:53 PM
spiral in

Chuck_Of_Wah
04-19-2006, 12:55 PM
Hi, I'd like to say, with all due respect, that the dude who started this thread is probably an intelligent, normal guy who just happens to be uber-confused and desperately needs to get laid.

Dude, if you have friends, try and talk them into this great idea Maynard once shared with an interviewer. It's called "Circle Jerks". ;)

Alveolate
04-19-2006, 01:00 PM
spiral in
spiral ON.

tangent
04-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Cmon guys, just listen to the Wings for Marie/10,000 Days and The Pot, then go inside yourself and seek the thruth.

Yeah, but they won't until it all comes out either way... O.o

just simulacra
04-19-2006, 01:15 PM
Did anyone else find the magazine articles to TOTALLY add to the hoax?

That is, whenever SPECIFICS of the album were mentioned, band members VOLUNTARILY went into an almost AWKWARD detail about the album ... to the point where it just seems horribly forced and out of place in an otherwise normal conversation.

Read adam talking about the POT lyrics, or Danny talking about Lipan Conjuring. If you honestly don't read the forced nature of the conversation at those parts, I find it hard to believe you communicate with other humans on a day to day basis.

just simulacra
04-19-2006, 01:17 PM
Not to mention, the idea of going to Europe for LISTENING PARTIES is totally nonsensical ... Tool's fanbase is in America --- PERIOD.

I think they chose Europe because the ensuing fall out from the hoax would affect them less [$$$$ speaking] and --- the language/culture barrier would make the Hoax much easier to pull off.

Lamb & Martyr^
04-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Did you eat paint chips as a kid?

paraflux
04-19-2006, 01:26 PM
fucking moron.

spiral out.
Probed, I'm tired of people calling each other stupid names in here. Expect more of this.

reign3
04-19-2006, 01:30 PM
The bottom line is this:

-There is much evidence that supports this being a leak.

-We will not know for sure until the album is released.

So lets just calm down and wait it out. Honestly, I'm hoping this is just a really un-refined version of the new album, or a different mix of the new album they purposely created to fuck with us.

At the very least, I hope Maynard doesn't sound like Clay Aiken at the beginning of the Pot. Yeah, I'm nit-picking, but fuck. That just hurts my ears. I don't want to be hurt when I listen to music.

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 01:33 PM
The bottom line is this:

-There is much evidence that supports this being a leak.

You gotta be fucking kidding me!!

CallofCthulhu
04-19-2006, 01:37 PM
I really really really want to believe your points, which ARE pretty good, but face it dude.........this is it. I do enjoy the album though.

Alveolate
04-19-2006, 01:52 PM
it has everything to do with pussy.

spiral out.
big, wet, sloppy, p-p-pp-puh-puh-puh-pussy!

reign3
04-19-2006, 01:54 PM
You gotta be fucking kidding me!!

No, I am not fucking kidding you. All I'm saying is that it's possible, but we're not going to know until it's released. I don't think that's a very bold proposition.

HolyReality
04-19-2006, 02:00 PM

1. look at older lyrics. from undertow and opiate. these are things called "metaphors" and "humor"

2. the pot is great. see above.

3. vicarious kicks ass. that's it.

4. someone already said it, but the inflames album leaked 4 months early. the last NIN album leaked at least a month early.

5. probably not.

6. this album is a massive step forward. digest it a little, then try to give a valid opinion.

7. tons of memorable vocals. 10,000 days? right in two? rosetta stoned? basically the whole album...

8. yeah, until now, when the music actually needs to change hands.

9. your foot is somewhere else entirely.

s62
04-19-2006, 02:09 PM
1. look at older lyrics. from undertow and opiate. these are things called "metaphors" and "humor"

2. the pot is great. see above.

3. vicarious kicks ass. that's it.

4. someone already said it, but the inflames album leaked 4 months early. the last NIN album leaked at least a month early.

5. probably not.

6. this album is a massive step forward. digest it a little, then try to give a valid opinion.

7. tons of memorable vocals. 10,000 days? right in two? rosetta stoned? basically the whole album...

8. yeah, until now, when the music actually needs to change hands.

9. your foot is somewhere else entirely.

+1

Perseensilmä
04-19-2006, 02:11 PM
No, I am not fucking kidding you. All I'm saying is that it's possible, but we're not going to know until it's released. I don't think that's a very bold proposition.

Read carefully what I quoted... You didn´t get it.

Cronos
04-19-2006, 02:16 PM
The bottom line is this:

-There is much evidence that supports this being a hoax.

fixed.

Anyways, anyone who thinks I may not be taking what I say without a grain of salt may find themselves the true idiots, but if they also can't admit that this album is either the worst excuse for new material Tool has come up with and it's a straight up fuck you to the fans, or that this is just a well done hoax then it is you I pity.

With that said, Rosetta Stoned = Remix of Third Eye.

Don't believe me? Then listen to the sound at 2:54, tell me that isn't the sound they used in Third Eye (at least I think it was from that sound, it's the scratching sound).

Take a listen at 4:11, that guitar riff is basically pulled straight from Third Eye too.

Also, there's the riff at 6:01, more well done remixes of the Third Eye riffs.

YOU BELIEVE ME DONCHU!? PLEASE BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAID!

Now, I'm off to find more parallels.

Furthurdown
04-19-2006, 02:16 PM
I do think it's odd that the album got leaked right after the single. And if I understand correctly, no promo cds of the single were issued; it was available via a secure server. The authentication was "down for a few minutes." Would someone like to explain to me how a server loses it authenication protocol? I personally have never heard of such a thing aside. Hacking is one thing, but simply losing authenication?
So after all this uber-security to prevent a leak, the single gets leaked 3 days before it's released. Well, in this age of the internet, I'd consider that a success. So now the single got leaked, everyone is hyped about the new album, and bam!, it shows up online. Impecible timing.
I'm simplying noticing the great timing of it all. And I love conspracies.

zweitracht
04-19-2006, 02:46 PM

[...]

you may have heard the album, but you clearly haven't listened to it.

magnolia
04-19-2006, 02:50 PM

I smoke weed on a regular basis and think the album's awesome.

Noumenon
04-19-2006, 02:55 PM
you may have heard the album, but you clearly haven't listened to it.

WORD.

Furthurdown
04-19-2006, 02:58 PM
I'm just curious, but does anyone who has reservations about this being the real album have this belief for reasons other than "well, it just doesn't sound like the real album?"

oneredflag
04-19-2006, 03:18 PM
::Hands kubrick a toilet plunger::
That is so you can retrieve your credibility from The Pot

a_sirian_in_agony
04-19-2006, 03:42 PM
maybe we all expected something and we got something else and now we dont know how to digest it.....

auralassassin
04-19-2006, 04:24 PM
LOL... jokes on us... ohs wells... more TOOL!!!

s62
04-19-2006, 05:44 PM
maybe we all expected something and we got something else and now we dont know how to digest it.....

Boom! There it is.
Tool has always taken time to grow on me. I've never liked a release right off the bat. Despite this, in the last several days, I've really come to enjoy Vicarious. Once May 2nd hits, I'm sure I'll form an initial impression about the album, after which, given some time, I'll modify it, and hopefully find 10,000 Days very rewarding, much like all the past albums. This isn't a hoax.

black_rose
04-19-2006, 05:51 PM
If i remember correctly they announced a fake album release for April 17th called Systema EncÈphale with fake track titles and everything, is it just coincidence the leak for 10,000 days was April 17th too?

I expect Vicarious is the real deal the rest is gonna be different. That older leak for 10,000 days you know the real bad one, that sounded like a random dude with an acoustic that had similar lyrics to this release too, it had that stuff about monkeys?

Can't find the older leak now though and i deleted it, anyone wanna help me out i want to compare both the leaks?

T-13h
04-19-2006, 05:55 PM
IT'S THE REAL FUCKING ALBUM. DEAL WITH IT.

Lipan Conjured
04-19-2006, 06:00 PM
I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier but someone at 10000-days.com posted a yousendit of Tool performing Triad live during the Lateralus days, and right after that song they start playing...this is fucked....Wings of Marie....although it is a TAD faster than the album version but it is the song. Just Part 1 though. So, this means that Wings for Marie was deffinitely in the works for a LOOOONNNGGG time. This could mean that what most of us have now is just an album of unused tracks/b-sides/unused tracks...whatever...

Also, Blair mentioned TWICE something about a decoy album (once talking about it as an answer to why the album was taking so long and another to the effect of something like this: Today, the band was doing some major recording (for the real album this time or something to that effect). I'm not saying I believe that this whole thing is a decoy album but there is something deffinitely fishy about this whole thing...

newrnewt
04-19-2006, 06:03 PM

... blah fucking blah ...

I've never heard such genuis. Ironically, often reached through lack of deep/long words, which implies further genuis.
I dont know any band in the world who could write a song with simple lyrics but make them mean soo much.

T-13h
04-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Today, the band was doing some major recording (for the real album this time or something to that effect). I'm not saying I believe that this whole thing is a decoy album but there is something deffinitely fishy about this whole thing...

Bullshit.

newrnewt
04-19-2006, 06:06 PM
IT'S THE REAL FUCKING ALBUM. DEAL WITH IT.

i forgot what this thread was about until i read the two posts above.

the more listens; the more i'd be willing to throw myself off a bridge if it turned out to be a fake. this album is un-real (but not a fake!!)

s62
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
What's more likely, folks?
a.)Blare and Tool threw around some references to a "decoy" album just to keep everyone on their toes, and perhaps in the event of such an even as a leak, to throw them for a loop.
b.)Tool put together an entire fucking album, involving hours upon hours of studio time, money, and stressful effort merely to fuck with us.

You guys sound like Creationist for fuck's sake. "Which is the truth: Dinosaurs really existed OR God created the fossil evidence to fuck with you?"
Fucking use your brains.

Bah,these discussions are pointless. The 2nd will shut your dumb conspiracies up.

reign3
04-19-2006, 06:21 PM
People on this board, particularly the new users, need to learn how to form a fucking argument. Don't just call people names and don't just call an idea stupid because it sounds incredible. This is Tool we're talking about. They are capable of pulling something like this off. That doesn't mean that they have, it's just a possibility. Now play nice children.

T-13h
04-19-2006, 06:26 PM
People on this board, particularly the new users, need to learn how to form a fucking argument. Don't just call people names and don't just call an idea stupid because it sounds incredible. This is Tool we're talking about. They are capable of pulling something like this off. That doesn't mean that they have, it's just a possibility. Now play nice children.

I have some real-estate I'd like to sell you...

khz
04-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Where did TOOL say they were taking so many precautions against leaking? I am not a new fan to the band..just to this board so I'd like to see any mentioned references.

Also, it is not so hard to believe that this is the real thing. The timing sounds about right. Two years ago the new Slipknot CD leaked about the same day as this leak (both CDs had similar scheduled releases).

Now, even though TOOL is one of the few bands that could probably pull this off, I doubt they are trying to pull wool over anyone's eyes here. While Vicarious rocks, it just sounds like they have moved to a new level and place in prog.

Like it or hate it..believe it or discount it.

HolyReality
04-19-2006, 06:31 PM
I smoke weed on a regular basis and think the album's awesome.
WORD.

F!end
04-19-2006, 06:33 PM
You guys sound like Creationist for fuck's sake. "Which is the truth: Dinosaurs really existed OR God created the fossil evidence to fuck with you?"
Fucking use your brains.

That was an ignorant comment.

Creationists do believe that dinosaurs existed, not millions of years ago but thousands, before the Flood.

s62
04-19-2006, 06:44 PM
That was an ignorant comment.

Creationists do believe that dinosaurs existed, not millions of years ago but thousands, before the Flood.

No, it was GENERAL statement, as Creationist refers to many varieties of fundamental Christian believers.
However, your statement was ignorant, as amongst the variety of Creationists, there are those who believe fossils were placed on Earth as a TEST against faith in God... i.e., that God put them there to fuck with people, to see if they would disbelieve.

Sorry to burst your shit.

Besides, on par with this board, you completely missed the point of my post anyway.

just simulacra
04-19-2006, 06:49 PM
People on this board, particularly the new users, need to learn how to form a fucking argument. Don't just call people names and don't just call an idea stupid because it sounds incredible. This is Tool we're talking about. They are capable of pulling something like this off. That doesn't mean that they have, it's just a possibility.

Quoted for fucking truth.

I'm sick of all the APR 2006 users who REGGED just to be able to get the eventual leak telling everyone to "shut up, unfan" without having the slightest argument to dispute some of the rather striking goings-ons behind this album, its recording, and its leak.

Hannibal
04-19-2006, 06:51 PM
just a reminder....God has no place on a Tool message board.

F!end
04-19-2006, 07:01 PM
amongst the variety of Creationists, there are those who believe fossils were placed on Earth as a TEST against faith in God... i.e., that God put them there to fuck with people, to see if they would disbelieve.

Is that for real? =/

I didn't know that someone could believe that their own god is testing their faith THAT way...

All I knew was what I posted before.

Sorry for calling you an ignorant...

I just that I can't believe that shit... LOL!

hurmie
04-19-2006, 07:04 PM
The more I read the interview that TOOl had with Kerrang:
-----------"We have the most retarted president weve ever had, and were frustrated and thats the reason its a little heavier this time" reveals drummer Danny Carey. "that level of frustration back like when we first got hte band together: we were products of that fucking Reagan thing, we were pissed off and bummed-out, we had that angst, and now its coming forth again: like it or not were products of our environment. Were pissed off again"

No stranger to weaving social and political frustrations into his tortuously articulate lyrics, singer MJK who released the politically-motivated covers album, 'eMOTIVEe' with APC in 2004, has chosen another approach this time around.

"I think for me, and this is just personally, the last few years have really been crushing" Keenan confesses. "For me, as an artist, I needed to see on some level if speaking my mind would actually inspire people - you see the sky falling and you feel like youve got to say something. I think of prior tool albums 'AEnema' and 'Lateralus', lyrically, I had this idea of trying to share things and push some kind of higher purpose - enlightenment, this global consciousness thing - and everything thats going on nowadays has kind of left me a little disappointed, a little bummed.

"So I think on this album Ive talked more about my personal stuff, things that I needed to get off my chest," he adds. "Its a little cynical and its almost like coming from a sad place. Theres some hope in it, but its more back to rock and roll basics, just experessing some very big sadness thats from the gut."

"This is our blues record, were singing the blues!" Jokes Carey.---------

I don't see it on this "leaked" hoax...sorry...I hope the real deal arrives on May 2nd....

bonus.cheese
04-19-2006, 07:14 PM
I'll quote Blair, been done before but some people need to see this again! I'm not saying this is a decoy or not, but this is food for thought!

Now where was I?.. Oh yeah, TOOL!.. I'm not going to reveal my source, Mister Patience, but do you want to know the kind of things that have been going on while this record was being recorded? Okay, first there was the decoy record just to confound all those would-be bootleggers out there. This took, oh, about a year, just because the band members wanted it to sound pretty close to the real thing (so as to be believable), along with equally believable art design.

Read it here
http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2005_09.php

T-13h
04-19-2006, 07:16 PM
Sarcasm.

bonus.cheese
04-19-2006, 07:18 PM
If i remember correctly they announced a fake album release for April 17th called Systema EncÈphale with fake track titles and everything, is it just coincidence the leak for 10,000 days was April 17th too?

Maynard's birthday is the new April Fools.

92ogt
04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I'll quote Blair, been done before but some people need to see this again! I'm not saying this is a decoy or not, but this is food for thought!

Read it here
http://www.toolband.com/news/letter/2005_09.php

Strongly agree

ChristianTroy
04-19-2006, 07:25 PM
A few things:

1) The April Fool's Day joke this year was beyond weak. Something else is coming.

2) How can anybody put anything past this band? They once released a press release that they were all killed in a bus crash in Australia. You have to be fucking kidding me if you don't think they could pull off a fake album.

3) I don't think this is a fake album.

4) If we find out something huge on May 2, I will not be the least bit surprised.

84 pontiac dream
04-19-2006, 07:26 PM
a fucking album by tool is still an album....
if this indeed is a hoax..then whoa...you have two albums by tool

FistFck
04-19-2006, 07:26 PM
i think it sounds like the new album. i enjoy it. but at the same time, there are so many similarities, that if tool came out and said this WAS a b-side cd, i wouldnt be suprised, and i would still be happy. if they did record new material, and this turns out to be a dual disk release, that would be cool.

bonus.cheese
04-19-2006, 07:32 PM
Maybe this is like some of the real songs, except they fucked it up for people who illegaly download music. They changed the songs, fucked up the vocals, did really stupid shit to it.

Yet the people who wait and buy it, get the real finished songs. Yet those who download it have a tarnished experience.

T-13h
04-19-2006, 07:34 PM
Maybe this is like some of the real songs, except they fucked it up for people who illegaly download music. They changed the songs, fucked up the vocals, did really stupid shit to it.

Yet the people who wait and buy it, get the real finished songs. Yet those who download it have a tarnished experience.

ugggghhhh

Shivawn
04-19-2006, 08:02 PM
they could of inlisted the dudes who did the doom 3 track to write the album....while they were making the real one....its possible...but if not...who fucking cares anymore...its just tool...

"The dudes" who made the Doom3 theme was non-other than Chris Vrenna with probably some help from Trent Reznor. That's right, a long time drummer from Nine Inch Nails and the brains behind the whole operation: Trent Reznor. While he has collaborated with Maynard on some previous things (I believe they jammed a while ago), I see no influence on this album.

If you really think this is a hoax, one must look at it from another angle. How much would it cost to make and distribute said 'fake' copies of music? That's a lot of man hours for simply a 'joke' on the fans. (Incomming foot-in-mouth on May 2nd), however I see this as nothing more than wishing for something that doesn't exist.

In its final form, '10,000 Days' is a great album. If you don't think it has any memoriable lines, then you need to listen to the song '10,000 Days' and tell me you don't get chills when he says 'Ten thousand days in in the fire is long enough. You're going home.' Everytime he does, I seriously get a rush of adreniline. It's a great song, sad, but great.

In a way, saying that this is a hoax is sort of an insult to the band members of Tool. You think it wasn't good enough, but they may of just put all their heart and souls into making this album. I could be completely wrong as we'll see a different CD hit on May 2nd, but really, this is a project that is made from literal blood, sweat, and tears.

I say there's more evidence that a hoax would be impossible on this scale rather than a concocted album made to throw off fans for two weeks...

bonus.cheese
04-19-2006, 08:09 PM
thats 1 song man. Not the whole album.

ChristianTroy
04-19-2006, 08:09 PM
This is what gets me. I'm not trying to call you personally out. But you talk about how this isn't a hoax. It's a blood, sweat, and tears album from Tool. Then you say it could have been released to throw fans off track (i.e. the point of a hoax).

Many people seem to share this opinion. Look, obviously the music isn't a hoax. I'm sitting here listening to it right now. But it doesn't sound like a Tool album, and even the people who believe it's the real deal also seem to acknowledge that there's at least something fishy about it.

I can't really say what my personal view is. I think Rosetta Stoned and Right in Two aren't half bad. There's also a lot of stuff on this album that sounds nothing like Tool. I think there's something else coming our way on May 2.

Hannibal
04-19-2006, 10:36 PM
get ready to be disappointed. I don't quite understand how rewarding the folks who stole the album early with a b-list of songs is going to make things better or more understandable. The tracklisting and everything are all true, there is no decoy album. and I'm not even going to say someting like "prepping for my foot in the mouth" because we all have a tendency to hype something up..(January 16th, April 1st, April 4th, April 13th, April 17th, and of course...May 2nd) that's a lot of speculation and with the exception of the 17th being the single and May 2nd being the album...nothing has happened with all of that speculation.

There is no hoax. Why would Tool reward those that are stealing from them with unreleased material or b-sides? they wouldn't, that's a slap in the face to those who are actually buy the album, rather then downloading it.

Alexandra
04-19-2006, 10:37 PM
It's their way of saying, "Fuck you, buddy" redux.

TheJake
04-19-2006, 11:02 PM

Unless it is an internet only leak. If that is the case it is very possible. The band or someone connected to the band just releases b-sides or fake tracks on the internet while the real album is safe, because people already have the "new Tool album".

Alexandra
04-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Unless it is an internet only leak. If that is the case it is very possible. The band or someone connected to the band just releases b-sides or fake tracks on the internet while the real album is safe, because people already have the "new Tool album".I was just thinking that, dude.

Just because there is a leak (and yes, this is certainly a leak) does not mean a CD is going to be released (well, a CD released with THESE tracks on it, that is).

Hannibal
04-19-2006, 11:16 PM
Unless it is an internet only leak. If that is the case it is very possible. The band or someone connected to the band just releases b-sides or fake tracks on the internet while the real album is safe, because people already have the "new Tool album".

regardless...they would be rewarding those who are attempting to "steal" from them. Those who are downloading are getting twice the prize when the new album comes out. If Tool are trying to prevent leaking music, and illegal downloads...why would they reward it?

Alexandra
04-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Unless they release this album (the leaked album) after they release the supposed "real" album on May 2nd.

Hannibal
04-19-2006, 11:22 PM
but that's a win-win situation for those who downloaded the album, making the entire "leaked" fake album pointless.

Alexandra
04-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Yeah, but they'll realize they got motherfucking PWNT by Tool, and that once again, they've been proven to be motherfucking SHEEP. And that they are basically as stupid/worthless as the record companies, radio stations, downloaders/leak starters/propagators.

Sorry for the name-calling, my opposition.

EDIT: Plus Tool will be able to keep the supposed "real" album under wraps for that much longer, thereby helping their own advantageous situation.

just simulacra
04-20-2006, 01:24 AM
Honestly, whoever thinks this leak is a 'reward' needs help.

Lost Keys
04-20-2006, 01:33 AM
Unless they release this album (the leaked album) after they release the supposed "real" album on May 2nd.

oh wow.

Alexandra
04-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Innocent speculation never hurt Tool.

inks
04-20-2006, 01:37 AM

correct.

CallofCthulhu
04-20-2006, 07:29 AM
If this has something to do with April fools it would be the greatest April fool's day joke of all time.

cr0nick
04-20-2006, 07:30 AM
fabricate an entire album? dont you people think?

Cemetery Shindig
04-20-2006, 07:34 AM
fabricate an entire album? dont you people think?

Yeah, apparently Tool have unlimited funds and resources. And they have the time and energy to record two seperate albums in the time span it usually takes for them to make one.

marquis
04-20-2006, 07:48 AM
Something else worth mentioning is if the disc was grabbed in distribution, we would not only have more sources than m4a but the full artwork would be out as well.

mike09
04-20-2006, 09:02 AM

"Suck and suck. Suckin up all you can suckin up all you can suck.
Workin up under my patience like a little tick.
Fat little parasite. Suck me dry."

Listen to Opiate and Undertow.

Apparently, you think Undertow, Aenima, and Lateralus all have the same production qualities. Try listening to the album more than once before you say they are lacking musically and technically.

Every popular album leaks and there's been albums that have leaked more than two weeks before the official release date. I had Audioslave's first album 6 months before it came out. I had Disturbed's newest cd 2 months before it came out. Tool did a good job trying to stop leaks.

Don't know this one. I'm interested in knowing, though.

I like this album a lot already and I've only had it for a few days. It has nothing to do with Tool and everything to do with my opinion. Don't state your opinions as facts because it's very annoying. "Die-hard" Tool fans can like the album all they want. Just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it isn't good.

That's why you have to listen to Tool albums many times. They grow on you. I seriously doubt you thought "The Grudge" was memorable the first time you heard it.

True.

Coincidence.

What lack of information?