PDA

View Full Version : this song is like standing in a rainstorm.

plexus
04-18-2006, 10:38 PM
this is the new tool.

people who have listened to the album and say tool hasnt progressed since lateralus must not be listening to the same song as me.

and the people who are worried about tools new material being less emotional and more political, this song is just gushing.

this is nothing i could imagine from the lateralus era... definatly not aenima era. theyre not only staying progressive but delving in and pushing the envelope on their rythm, keeping their odd time sigs, but getting more fluid with them, theres more space in these songs compared to the exploration on lateralus.

this song sings when maynard isnt, and it stays as emotional and powerful as the lyrics. some of tools best.

I have not been let down. This song alone made the wait and mindfucks worth it.

just... fucking beautiful.

Dolophane
04-18-2006, 11:05 PM
Absolutely. I get this incredibly isolated feeling with this song, like drifting in a void. This is a monster of a track.

6:00..Bhaal
04-19-2006, 08:32 PM
also, there are actual rainstorm sounds on the track if you turn it up high and have surround sound. You can hear the rain faling and thunder as well.

HolyReality
04-19-2006, 09:53 PM
it reminds me a little of pushit...but this is definitely the new high point of tool epics.

jesse.O_o
04-20-2006, 06:02 AM
i think thats a really important point you make, that the song sings when maynard doesnt and releases you naught for the whole duration. There are always times in pushit and the grudge and a lot of other songs that i can feel the spell breaking, but on this it just doesnt. amazing song. The guitar sounds like a mournful cello. incredible

justlikeme
04-20-2006, 06:49 AM
I'll agree with this..
I only heard it for the first time today and one of the first things I thought was 'what the fuck is everyone talking about..' This song is outstanding to say the least and anybody how says tool hasn't progressed hasn't a clue what they're talking about. I have to say I was really scared I wouldn't like the new album, but on a whole I think it's great.
This song was sending shivers down my spine, it's indeed a great piece of work.

Tyro
04-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Agreed. I absoultey love this song.

plexus
04-20-2006, 07:46 AM
also, there are actual rainstorm sounds on the track if you turn it up high and have surround sound. You can hear the rain faling and thunder as well.
uhh... yea... you can also hear it if you have it on low and dont have a surround sound.

its pretty loud in the song. especially some of the thunder strikes.

randomhero8823
04-20-2006, 08:33 AM
the rain and thunder gives me chills

Sea of Lies
04-20-2006, 08:59 AM
No kidding. I was in college when i started hering the album. I went out where i could hear it without being disturbed. When i heard the thunders in 10000 days i took out my earphones, and looked to the sky.. wasn't raining but at halfway the song, it started raining.
I stayed under the rain until the whole album ended... and it was fucking awesome.When rosseta stoned started the rain came stronger and by the end of the album it was just a breeze... awesome, Now everytime i get to 10 000 days, i remember that fucking precise moment. Fucking TOOL rocks.

Kyndig
05-07-2006, 09:19 AM
I was listening to this track at the end of April on a beach in the dominican republic. It was very overcast and it was just me and a friend on this long stretch of beach hanging out on some lounge chairs reading. Halfway through the song I took the earbuds out and turned to my friend and said to her "Theres thunder in the background of this song but it sounds like its really all around us"

She said "That was thunder you twit"

It was perfectly synchronized with the thunder on the track - very cool moment......

Steventh
05-07-2006, 04:06 PM
I especially like the verse that starts at about 3:51 into the song. I don't think Maynard has ever written something THIS emotional and deep before. I love the way he sings it, too.

This song rocks. Best on the album.

so0l
05-08-2006, 05:05 AM
This song rocks. Best on the album.

QFT.

paraology
05-08-2006, 06:30 AM
Upon the first 3 or 4 listens of this song, I was pretty disappointed. It just didnt hit me like it did some of the people on here. I thought it could have been done alot better. Well after about the 5th listen the song finally hit me. I am now in love with this song. I am blown away by the power and sheer beauty of this monstrous track. The lyrics in this song are so amazing. Did it take anyone else several listens for this song to really sink in?

third_eye77
05-08-2006, 06:33 AM
The rain storm really adds to the whole mood of the song. It's already got some pretty sad lyrics, the rain and thunder just add to the whole mood and effect to make it more powerful. I'm liking this song more and more.

Systolic
05-08-2006, 06:42 AM
Yeah everytime I hear it I think of standing in the rain on a dark night, eithe rlooking at a gravestone of a loved one or contemplating the loss of someone I love (be it familiy or relationally or whataver).

The song definitely gives a feeling of loss.

kaspguy
05-08-2006, 05:40 PM
This song was my immediate favorite, because of the rain sound. Hearing that, I looked deeper, and came to love it even more. These guys are masters, there's no doubt about that.

skane
05-09-2006, 08:12 AM
I can relate to some of the experiences above mentioned...after getting my hands on the record (the mp3 version,anyway..),left work,friday afternoon...it was raining hard,so just got my hood to protect the ear phones and walked.
as soon as the thunder sound starts on the track,i took the phones and checked to see if it was the real thing or just a fx on the song (still not sure!).
it started pouring,sky was black as it can be (still daytime).unforgettable moment.

brilliant song,the lyrics cut me from the inside everytime I listen to it.can also relate to the feeling of loss which only adds up to the whole thing.
just love to lie down in bed before goin to sleep at night,turn the lights out and get lost in it

can't even start to imagine what would be like to listen to this live

Doubt
05-13-2006, 09:10 PM
I was listening to this in the car on the way home from school while it was raining, it felt so good.

jarbsy
05-14-2006, 03:33 AM
The weather is apparently property of Lustmord or so it says on the album art/Notes.

The more you know :)

I love listening to it in the car because for some reason the sound of the thunder comes from above whilst the music stays down lower.

Someone insert technique funky name for it?
Directional surround sound? or something.

root
05-14-2006, 04:46 AM
Upon the first 3 or 4 listens of this song, I was pretty disappointed. It just didnt hit me like it did some of the people on here. I thought it could have been done alot better. Well after about the 5th listen the song finally hit me. I am now in love with this song. I am blown away by the power and sheer beauty of this monstrous track. The lyrics in this song are so amazing. Did it take anyone else several listens for this song to really sink in?

This sums up almost every Tool album I've ever listened to. The first time I heard Lateralus, I thought it was crap. I put it on my shelf and forgot about it. Six months later, I decided to give it another go, and put it on reapeat for a few hours... I listened to nothing else for the next few months.

Same story with aenima and 10,000 days: I hated both of them at first, but now I think they're among the best albums ever created.

Matt8
05-14-2006, 07:25 AM
we were driving listening to this the day it came out when it was raining and the thunder tripped me out. didnt know what sounds were what. i love this song.

rightin2
05-14-2006, 12:16 PM
the build-up that starts around 6 minutes and then when it kicks in about 8 minutes 30 seconds with fantastic lyrics make the song. Definitley the best song on the album.

moneyisevil
05-15-2006, 04:59 PM
the LOUD LOUD LOUD crack of thunder scared me the first time i heard it cuz i was blasting it, and now it just gives me chills when i hear it

blackandwhite
05-15-2006, 05:18 PM
I am in love with this song, I have listened to this more than any other song simply because of the emotional guitar sounds and great vocals.

cold flourescence
05-15-2006, 05:37 PM

Absolutely not! This is THE album man. I don't think I listened to one song without getting chills crawl up my back. Especially 10,000days (wings PT.2). Just about made me cry.

rockusJ
05-15-2006, 06:09 PM
agreed. I like them all but this album seems really special to me. It hooked me at first listen. It hooked me even harder after reading the lyrics.

IC
05-15-2006, 06:12 PM
this is the new tool.

people who have listened to the album and say tool hasnt progressed since lateralus must not be listening to the same song as me.

and the people who are worried about tools new material being less emotional and more political, this song is just gushing.

this is nothing i could imagine from the lateralus era... definatly not aenima era. theyre not only staying progressive but delving in and pushing the envelope on their rythm, keeping their odd time sigs, but getting more fluid with them, theres more space in these songs compared to the exploration on lateralus.

this song sings when maynard isnt, and it stays as emotional and powerful as the lyrics. some of tools best.

I have not been let down. This song alone made the wait and mindfucks worth it.

just... fucking beautiful.
amen

blackandwhite
05-15-2006, 06:12 PM
I agree. It took me a while to like Lateralus, but I was hooked from the moment I heard Vicarious.

laughingtiger
05-16-2006, 04:48 PM
Yeah everytime I hear it I think of standing in the rain on a dark night, eithe rlooking at a gravestone of a loved one or contemplating the loss of someone I love (be it familiy or relationally or whataver).

hehe, me too, only i imagine maynard speaking to his mother's headstone.

resonance.
05-16-2006, 04:50 PM
weird... I thought it was a rip-off from Riders on the Storm.

Sckb6b
05-16-2006, 07:30 PM
I agree that this song is the strongest on the album. Its has special meaning and I sure know how he was feeling when he wrote it. I love this song.

shineonforever
05-16-2006, 08:02 PM
FIrst listen to the song, (while reading the lyrics) i didn't notice the rain and thunder. after getting registration to work (with some difficulty, and "hi" everyone), while listening to the CD, and the song 10,000 days playing, I read bhaal's post about the thunder, exactly at the moment of the first thunder crack. It's was something i found interesting, my eyes and ears fed infomation to my mind, about the same thing. stange way to realize something.

Undertow was the first ablum i really got into the first listen, the other's actually had to grow on me a bit. This album didn't hit me the first listen but it damn sure is the second time, which is right now.

Still some of the meaning in the song escapes me, lyric wise.