View Full Version : 8:38 - 9:16

9th Phoenix
04-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Holeeeeeeee shit

voleurz
04-18-2006, 09:21 PM
man.
i have to listen to this album so much
it is so dense to pick anything up except a first impression on the first listen

WUJMS
04-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Holeeeeeeee shit

haha i second that

The Let Down
04-19-2006, 12:06 AM
i catch myself listening to this song and right in two more and more.

Paradigm619
04-19-2006, 12:36 AM
If only the first 8 minutes and last 2 matched this quality.

slicknickshady
04-19-2006, 02:46 AM
This whole song is awesome.

Sleep
04-19-2006, 03:15 AM
I was about to post the same thing. That part of the song is what I was hoping the rest of the album would make me feel. It's amazing. This song and Right in Two are easily my favourites on the album. The rest is....

auralassassin
04-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Dude, when Maynard breaks it down in that part of the song... he was basically saying a big "FUCK YOU" to all those who doubted him for Vicarious.

RED_THE_HAT
04-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Holeeeeeeee shit

I second that... I have ruined many boxers over this.

If only the first 8 minutes and last 2 matched this quality.

The first 8 minutes is just as good. Imagine what a climax would be without a build up. (apart from less physical work... :p )

SigSegV
04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Exactly, that part wouldn't be nearly as good if it repeated the entire song. Awesome song, among Tool's very best imo.

RED_THE_HAT
04-19-2006, 11:01 PM
I am definately putting this one beside Pushit and 3rd eye.....

The Let Down
04-19-2006, 11:05 PM
best part of the song.. i wish the rest of the song reflected this, and i also wish the lyrical content was better, then this song would have been an epic.

auralassassin
04-19-2006, 11:41 PM
best part of the song.. i wish the rest of the song reflected this, and i also wish the lyrical content was better, then this song would have been an epic.

Dude, the lyrical content is on par, or better than damn near everything Maynard has EVER done. Don't judge it on one listen, this one has MUCH deeper meaning. And it's meaning that someone telling you won't get through... I suggest doing a blast of DMT.

And I suggest research of DMT, the drug... read some "trip reports" of DMT... lemme know what you feel about Rosetta Stone(the stone that is used to translate heiroglyphics, greek and sanskrit.... interchangable..)

DMT users speak in unknown tongues, communicate with aliens, gnomes, spirits, and all sorts of things that noone could EVER explain...

Overwhelmed is what you would be
If placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the one.
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending.
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen.
Shit the bed again. Typical.

Strapped down in my bed.
Feet cold and eyes red.
I’m out of my head.
Am I alive, Am I dead?
Sunkist and Sudafed.
Gyroscopes and infrared.
Won’t help to bring dead.
Can’t remember what they said.
Goddamn, should’ve been.

this makes perfect sense if you've ever done DMT, or know anything about the experience.

Lupin
04-20-2006, 01:04 AM
Dude, the lyrical content is on par, or better than damn near everything Maynard has EVER done. Don't judge it on one listen, this one has MUCH deeper meaning. And it's meaning that someone telling you won't get through... I suggest doing a blast of DMT.

And I suggest research of DMT, the drug... read some "trip reports" of DMT... lemme know what you feel about Rosetta Stone(the stone that is used to translate heiroglyphics, greek and sanskrit.... interchangable..)

DMT users speak in unknown tongues, communicate with aliens, gnomes, spirits, and all sorts of things that noone could EVER explain...

this makes perfect sense if you've ever done DMT, or know anything about the experience.

Wow man, you're like incredibly enlightened!

Jimmeny
04-20-2006, 02:35 AM
It's interesting, I've never seen so manu '8:38-9:16' about Tool songs before. There's no one point in a song in Lateralus that you'd say is brilliant. Sure, the build up in Lateralus is class, but that's a really organic song and it's a brilliant section in the context of what went before and what went after.

In 10,000 Days, there are a few classic riffs, a few great section, but no fully great crafted songs (sweeping statement I guess after only a few listens). There are bits that jump out as being truly great, but only in the context of themselves, not the context of the song. It's a shame, and it's what fundamentally lets this album down for me.

The Let Down
04-20-2006, 11:24 AM

I will read some about it, but I have listened to Rosetta Stoned many times and I'm not trying to attack you but to think that this is lyrically some of Maynards best work is absurd.

"Overwhelmed is what you would be
If placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the one.
Born to bear and read you all the details of our ending.
To write it down for all the world to see.
But I forgot my pen.
Shit the bed again. Typical.

Strapped down in my bed.
Feet cold and eyes red.
I’m out of my head.
Am I alive, Am I dead?
Sunkist and Sudafed.
Gyroscopes and infrared.
Won’t help to bring dead.
Can’t remember what they said.
Goddamn, should’ve been. "

Those lyrics don't even belong to be on the same board with Lateralus.

Comparing Rosetta Stoned's (8:10-9:16) climax to Lateralus (7:00-9:25):

With my feet upon the ground
I lose myself between the sounds
And open wide to suck it in
I feel it move across my skin
I'm reaching up and reaching out
I'm reaching for the random or
Whatever will bewilder me
Whatever will bewilder me
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.

Spiral out. Keep going.

---

wow i think i feel in love with lateralus all over again.

hbynoe
04-20-2006, 01:50 PM
fuck y es

something_Dark
04-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Holeeeeeeee shit

wow!!!! Im in love with tool all over again!

Cid
04-20-2006, 11:12 PM
one of the best parts on the album

Andy DV
04-21-2006, 07:58 AM
i love the distortion around 7:30, same with jambi (thats a vocoder, right?). very strange sound for tool but i fucking eat it up. and 940...out of nowhere! this is my favorite song on the album, so far, by the way.

shaolin
04-21-2006, 10:22 AM
Holeeeeeeee shit

holy fuck. this part of the song kicks ass! Tool at it's best! You have to laugh when people say this is a decoy album.. It's wishfull thinking and you know it. Nonetheless its a fact that we have gotten some great new Tool music.

- peace out -

Supersonic^
04-21-2006, 11:51 AM
holy

fucking

shit

eonphi
04-21-2006, 02:17 PM
realise it says SHIT THE BED...not should've been

Neil
04-22-2006, 05:50 AM
This section is brilliant becuase it only lasts for a moment and then it is over.

Alex in Chains
04-22-2006, 08:39 AM
After a few listens, this is my favorite part of the entire record.

trickma
04-22-2006, 04:38 PM
holy shit i just listened to this song again and got goosebumps, i just think they could have ended this song better.

If they had used 2:53-9:16 and given it a better intro/outro this song would be my one of my favourites ever!

ps. this track is fkn awesome

ladiatia
04-22-2006, 04:40 PM
This part of the song kicks some serious ass.

Salud!

chickenweasel
04-23-2006, 12:05 AM
YES! I was singing this section in my head all day long. I finally got home and put it on. This song just floors me. This particular section is just so overwhelming. And it's made all the more special because it's fleeting. amazing.

I'm just dying to hear it live.