PDA

View Full Version : The Intro

povvy
11-22-2002, 03:52 PM
Whenever I listen to "Flood," I *have* to listen to the long instrumental which comes before. It seems to add a lot to the song, for me. Maybe it is just getting me anxious, but I love it.

When the song was played live on the first leg of the U.S. Summer 2002 tour, TOOL did not play the intro. Even though it was fantastic live, I think it would have been much better with the intro.

Patrick.

Genocidal
11-24-2002, 01:47 PM
I agree in full.

They played the intro in some of the Australian shows, I think.

Iblys
11-25-2002, 12:33 AM
They most certainly did. April 2002, Melbourne, they played the intro. God that was a good show. I was there.

evlcookie
11-25-2002, 12:43 AM
same with me i was there in melb april 2k2.. was awesome on the ground moshing and shit... but flood made me act strange.. i started swaying and moving to the music.. kinda like maynard does in some song.. ( u know when he "dances" or goes wierd ehhe ) the way it was played and the way the song is just does it to me.. i realized wtf i was doing and stopped haha. but flood isnt flood without the intro!

povvy
11-25-2002, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by evlcookie
but flood made me act strange.. i started swaying and moving to the music.. kinda like maynard does in some song.. ( u know when he "dances" or goes wierd ehhe ) the without the intro!

I sometimes do that. When I'm alone, of course. :)

Patrick.

asphexict
11-27-2002, 12:54 PM
i've always wanted to hear the intro. they didn't play it when tricky was with them nor the melvins. did the opiate/flood blend. which was fantastic. that entire concert was great as was the massive amount of lsd. i've always wanted to do some weird synth shit with it, among other songs. don't know if i'll get that lucky?

Misoanthropos
11-28-2002, 12:38 PM
i has an entrancing quality....right before the percussive nature of the song kicks in 4 minutes later

it shocks the mind

Penguin
11-28-2002, 05:21 PM
Yeah the intstrumental is great.. sometimes I skip it.. depends what mood I'm in.. if I want to hear just the main part of the song, which is great.

Aberfoyle
11-30-2002, 01:47 AM
The intro ruins the song for me. It's too lengthy.

Jerk off
12-01-2002, 08:19 AM
I never mosh < for fear of hurting myself> at tool shows. Although I do it at local shows :) I always do the sway thing. This is always the best song for that because f the intro. I don't know many people who dislike the intro because its kind of a build up to the song. Can anyone tell me why they don't like it. Just for some insight on human motivation ;)

MW
Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is that it is vibrating, and since all vibrations are theoretically sound. Then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such
[color=skyblue]

ragna16
12-01-2002, 12:30 PM
Whoo I tell you, the intro is not my fav part of the song, but after say the first 30 seconds it isn't bad at all.

4º warmer
12-02-2002, 04:35 PM
about 3 out 4 times, i'll skip ahead to flood and start listening to undertow on this track. its such an awesome track, and i think the intro sets up the entire album in such a great way. after that ill skip to 4º then undertow, and then back to track one and let that shit play.

Hyatir
12-02-2002, 06:52 PM
a friend mentioned to me that he thought of undertow as flood Part I, or flood as Undertow part II. dont know how 4 degrees would fit into that but its an interesting idea and it fits with their respective themes.

sk8ingknot4659
12-02-2002, 07:41 PM
I for one can see why they don't do the intro (me being a bass player) now i can play this song basically perfect (intro and all), and i can tell you the timing is pretty complicated, it's not impossable, but it is complicated. so i can see why they wouldn't want to play it that often and risk the chance of error...

Jerk off
12-03-2002, 09:14 AM
No, to be an A$$hole, but everything they do is hard to play. That's why I respect them so much. I'm just learning guitar and I still suck, but I want to be that good. They are my inspiration. :)

MW

Since the one thing we can say about fundamental matter is that it is vibrating, and since all vibrations are theoretically sound. Then it is not unreasonable to suggest that the universe is music and should be perceived as such

megadan
12-03-2002, 06:14 PM
I think the intro is vital to this song, it just wouldn't be the same without it. It just says so much, without words, you know? The build, the hold, the release, repeat? It's very much charecteristic(sp?) of the whole album.

great deceiver
12-03-2002, 08:20 PM
man, i couldnt imagine listening to the song without the intro. its the best part, for me.

Slave#1
12-04-2002, 02:59 PM
TOOL wrote the intro to "FLOOD" to be listened too. I have had Undertow for a LONG time and I think that "FLOOD" has kept my attention longer than any other song on that album. The intro sports some really awesome guitar work, and some nice drumming. Its a bit repetitive but, I think thats what TOOL had in mind when they put it together. Danny uses those rythms to keep the song flowing.

When I listen to the flood, I always listen to the intro. I believe its the best part. TOOL is trying to become more instrumental with their music, and if you don't believe me, just wait for that "live DVD" and watch them play "TRIAD." I think you'll agree with me then.

When I listen to "FLOOD", of course, the intro starts up and right away I start to hear "the water", or maybe he's saying "here comes the water?" When the intro ends, I take that as the beginning of the real "FLOOD" from which Maynard is trying to escape. It just makes sense. The intro builds up to what is really the ending "climax" of the song where maynard actually sings.

Bryan

zumzim13
12-04-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by sk8ingknot4659
I for one can see why they don't do the intro (me being a bass player) now i can play this song basically perfect (intro and all), and i can tell you the timing is pretty complicated, it's not impossable, but it is complicated. so i can see why they wouldn't want to play it that often and risk the chance of error...

one of the nice things about playing with a band live compared to trying to play at home with a cd is the oppurtunity to look at each other for timing. if you notice when they play parabol/parabola live, when they switch into parabola justin and adam are both looking at danny for the downbeat. so it would make sense that when they play flood that they would look at him for those beats too.

Meuterei
12-07-2002, 10:04 AM
Honestly, I like the intro better than the rest of the song. It's dark, and dreary, and strangely atmospheric. I don't feel that the rest of the song lives up to what it's built up to be ...

Jonno
12-08-2002, 04:08 AM
They played the intro at the Brisbane show 22/4/2002. I personally don't think they could of picked a better song to open with. The suspense was amazing. Adam, Danny and Justin were on the stage before Maynard and I think the intro was actually a bit longer. Noticably longer (I didn't sit there with a stop watch). It was so amazing when you heard the song begin to start and Maynard walked on stage.

Nny
12-17-2002, 03:41 PM
When they played Ozzfest in Ireland they headlined because Ozzy was sick and they opened with Flood and played the intro. And funnily enough, after raining all day the sky opened up and not a cloud was seen the rest of the night. The magic of Tool, aw bless.

jase
12-17-2002, 05:26 PM
yeah they opened with it in Sydney too, after listening to it for years on cd it wasn't until hearing it live that I really picked up on the use of Maynard's voice near the end of the intro before the actual vocal of th song. the kind of moaning. Sounded fuckin awesome. Obviously always heard it but never HEARD it haha
very cool, it lifted my appreciation of the intro alot

the reverend
12-17-2002, 07:07 PM
Yeah i was there in Sydney when they opened with Flood.
Looking back i think the intro was probably the favourite part of any song that they played that night.
It got the whole crowd into the mood. It was awesome.

Jebus
12-22-2002, 03:34 AM
I'd have to say I agree with Slave#1 (or Bryan). I've never heard that interpretation of the song, and it makes perfect sense. I've always loved all of flood, and I had the pleasure of enjoying my first live show (1st live show by any band, I'm 17) in Brisbane 2002. The intro to flood was so awesome, I stood slack jawed while people moshed around me. And I do think it was a bit longer than the album version.

I don't think I'd bother listening if I couldn't hear the intro

SonOfWillieTheP
12-29-2002, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Aberfoyle
The intro ruins the song for me. It's too lengthy.

NOOO!!! What are you thinking!!!???

It's the greatest intro of all time!!!
It's dark, mysterious, aggressive and menacing.
It reminds me a lot of The Cure's doomy stuff.

This is the one song that got me into Tool, and I think it's their best song.

SonOfWillieTheP
12-29-2002, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Nny
When they played Ozzfest in Ireland they headlined because Ozzy was sick and they opened with Flood and played the intro. And funnily enough, after raining all day the sky opened up and not a cloud was seen the rest of the night. The magic of Tool, aw bless.

Hmmm The water disappeared...

3rd eye
01-06-2003, 12:15 AM
This was fucking insane! I remember thinking a week or two before the show, (all excited) "Jee, I bet they play flood first off" (just because I knew it would be a good opening song.) Much to my amazement, they played it, and it got everyone in the mood ie swaying ha. Then when the song climaxed, it was so good. They then jumped straight into the grudge...
the whole show was too good to be true....a great setlist and the band was playing so tight, sounded better than on the records....

My_Akrasia
02-02-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Jerk off
I always do the sway thing. This is always the best song for that because f the intro.

I have swayed to the songs I listen to all of my life. From Guns 'N' Roses at 12 years old through to Tool. It always seemed the most natural way to feel the music. I'm so glad to hear other people do it too.

StinkfistJEff
02-05-2003, 06:05 PM
The intro is wayyy too long...i always skip it....the rest is badass tho.

TheInsideSource
02-06-2003, 02:22 AM
I think the intro is needed, it adds to the mystique of the song, makes it more...Complete to a certain extent, like the calm before the storm.

4th Eye
02-16-2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by TheInsideSource
like the calm before the storm.

Nice thought.
The intro is needed and I think the changing from the intro to the song is the best part. One of the best songs on Undertow when intro is included.

Schist_Head
03-17-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Slave#1
TOOL wrote the intro to "FLOOD" to be listened too. I have had Undertow for a LONG time and I think that "FLOOD" has kept my attention longer than any other song on that album. The intro sports some really awesome guitar work, and some nice drumming. Its a bit repetitive but, I think thats what TOOL had in mind when they put it together. Danny uses those rythms to keep the song flowing.

When I listen to the flood, I always listen to the intro. I believe its the best part. TOOL is trying to become more instrumental with their music, and if you don't believe me, just wait for that "live DVD" and watch them play "TRIAD." I think you'll agree with me then.

When I listen to "FLOOD", of course, the intro starts up and right away I start to hear "the water", or maybe he's saying "here comes the water?" When the intro ends, I take that as the beginning of the real "FLOOD" from which Maynard is trying to escape. It just makes sense. The intro builds up to what is really the ending "climax" of the song where maynard actually sings.

Bryan

I definitely agree with Bryan!!! Flood is kind of a precurser to things to come in Aenima and Lateralus. If I recall, Tool mentioned King Crimson as one of their inspiration bands and if you heard King Crimson play they do a lot of instrumental segments in their music with lots of riffs and drumming. Flood should be listened in a black room with a red light. It is a very entrancing feeling to do that.

canable friends
03-23-2003, 08:52 AM
Tool does an unbelievable job of changing a repetative instermental! Just befor the repetativeness gets boring they'll add something to it like the wailing guitar (you gotta love that wailing guitar) It also has one of the best bass lines in history the intro far out does the sond (well at least in my oppinion, but I just have a weak spot for bass driven Metal)!!!!!!!

cureformax
04-09-2003, 11:29 AM
I've been downloading a lot of Tool live versions over the past year (one thought, I think they should make a Napster-esque service only for live music, and therefore no real probelms with the record companies).

I have a version, and saw them play, Flood without the beginning. And they also end Opiate with the Flood intro.

DisgracedEffigy
04-09-2003, 12:13 PM
I disagree with the author of this thread. The intro to Flood wrecks the song for me. It is far to long, and *ahem* tedious.

cradled
04-21-2003, 04:46 PM
You just got tooled, then.

gaping_lotus
04-29-2003, 11:42 AM
I listen to every TooL song in it's entirety, as this is what should be heard. Matter of fact I listen to the entire album in order whenever possible, as it is meant to be heard this way.

I have seen Flood live a couple of times, the first and most memorable being at the Medford Armory, in Oregon, on their mini-tour in '98. they played the full song, and I could not imagine hearing it any other way.

Why play half-a-song, when the importance becomes lost so easily. It's like listening to Eulogy without the first 2 minutes of build-up. it loses it's structure when you chop it up. You might as well, listen to a band that actually produces 3 minute songs.

stalkingbutler
06-16-2003, 12:12 PM
The intro makes the song.
I cant listen to it without it.
Every hit of the instruments,every KERRRANG!,its amazing
Hairs standing on end time.

cureformax
01-20-2004, 09:36 AM
This one is even older!

AllforUnity
01-23-2004, 12:50 PM
Someone teach me more about this site. l don't know what things mean.

tha_phenom
01-25-2004, 12:48 AM
My opinion of the lengthy intro would kind of be a way to test the listener. When I play Tool in my truck with my siblings and alot of my friends they say stuff like "Skip this song" or "What is taking so long?" Same goes with Eulogy and LAMC etc etc. Not that the band knows who fast forwards or anything like that but maybe it is just a proving point to see if we are getting the messages they are trying to send and not just going through the motions, so to speak.

I enjoy length in a song. It just builds up and makes it more spectacular.

Undertolerance
02-18-2004, 09:36 PM
I think that the into to Flood is the building up to the flood. To me it seems sorta like the storm rolling in and then it starts, lightly but then gets more intense. Also to me the drum parts seem like lightning and thunder. After the storm goes on for awhile it gets kicked into full gear, the song getting into the core parts, vocals and such. The lyrics also really add to this for me, call me what you will for putting this much metaphor into a song, but that is why I love the song so much. That and the beginning vocals really give a sense of being slowly drowned, that or surfacing from a pool of water.

AllforUnity
02-19-2004, 07:57 AM
Hey, that's actually a pretty good thought on why the first 4 and a half minutes of Flood is just instrumentals. l like that interpretation. Because you're right...it takes a while of rain and stuff before it floods. Cool. l never thought of it in that way before. Thank you.

Undertolerance
02-20-2004, 07:57 AM
=) You are quite welcome. I am glad that you can understand what I mean, because I tend to think in pictures and visuals. It's the artist in me but it is always comforting to know that someone else gets it from my description.

AllforUnity
03-02-2004, 12:58 PM
Well it's a cool thought, whether that's the reason for it or not.

Raivenn
03-03-2004, 06:07 AM
When i first got Undertow i loved all the songs except for Flood for the longest time... And then once when i just had the album going in the background all of a sudden it just caught my ear and hooked me.I was doing work of some kind and out of nowhere i hear 'i was wrong...this changes everything'. I shot up off of the bed like 'wtf! I swear i never heard this song before!' I had to rewind and start it over.
Now it's in my top 3 on that album. At first i used to forward through the intro, because i just couldn't wait to get to the rest, but now that i've calmed down a bit, i always listen to the entire thing... it's almost like meditiation, with that 'here comes the waaaaaater' section.
And i -love- when the bassline comes in right around 4 minutes and some change...just an awesome song.

AllforUnity
03-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Sometimes l have to fast foward through the intro, depending on where l am, and how much time l have...but usually l'll listen to the whole song. This is my second favorite song on the CD, next to Undertow. Mainly because you can listen to this song and know almost exactly how it feels.

CopperGoat
07-10-2004, 08:23 PM
The Flood intro makes me piss my pants it's so fuckin scary. Especially the bass at the very beginning.

Undertolerance
08-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Scary huh, interesting...I find the whole thing quite soothing and relaxing. It's very nice indeed. "and i was wrong...this changes everything" I love that line so much it makes the song as a whole just leap out at me. It hits home really deeply in just that one line. Excellent song, as are they all.

Raider
12-29-2004, 11:44 AM
The intro is fucking amazing, the suspense, the atmosphere..god damn..

IC
01-12-2005, 05:40 PM
Scary huh, interesting...I find the whole thing quite soothing and relaxing. It's very nice indeed. "and i was wrong...this changes everything" I love that line so much it makes the song as a whole just leap out at me. It hits home really deeply in just that one line. Excellent song, as are they all.
i like the
this is not the rock I thought it to beeeeeeeeeeeeeee

or whatever he says there

polly wants a cracker
05-13-2006, 02:52 AM
I love the intro. It's very Sabbath-esque

WTFmate
05-16-2006, 12:00 PM
The intro makes the song because it builds it up.