PDA

View Full Version : Live riff

Dredg
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
hehe Wings for Marie, is the riff they use to play live in between songs heheheh. Pretty cool.

F!end
04-18-2006, 07:43 PM
yeah!

Tawcan
04-18-2006, 07:44 PM
Loving it!

BlueHalo
04-18-2006, 07:56 PM
hehe Wings for Marie, is the riff they use to play live in between songs heheheh. Pretty cool.

correct me if I'm wrong, but I only remember it being played before Lateralus and I went to 11 lateralus tour shows :)

Dredg
04-18-2006, 08:00 PM
correct me if I'm wrong, but I only remember it being played before Lateralus and I went to 11 lateralus tour shows :)
you are correct

Idiotica
04-18-2006, 09:09 PM
was just about to start a thread - live boot from 11-24-02 i think !

optimistic-pessimist
04-18-2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah it was slowly developed over the Lateralus tour. A great example of it is the Oklahoma City show from late in '02... 11/16/02... if memory serves...

I always knew it would find it's way to the next CD. I'd say it makes more than a "cameo" appearance, eh?

Idiotica
04-18-2006, 09:13 PM
definite early pink floyd sound - especially the vocal and atmosphere.

suntzu420
04-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Yeah it was slowly developed over the Lateralus tour. A great example of it is the Oklahoma City show from late in '02... 11/16/02... if memory serves...

I always knew it would find it's way to the next CD. I'd say it makes more than a "cameo" appearance, eh?

Yes 11/16/02 is OKC. And they played it right before Lateralus. Actually, it's the last 2 minutes of Triad from that show.

p.s.

Glad you liked my show ;)

Scrunzset
04-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Same for the Reno show 11-22-02 (I was there!!). Did Maynard do his speech over the music in the OK show?

Yeah, I immediately called it a "future song". It was just too beautiful to be a random thing. I've been waiting 4 years to hear where this has gone... and I'm completely fuckin' blown away.

suntzu420
04-19-2006, 06:26 AM
Same for the Reno show 11-22-02 (I was there!!). Did Maynard do his speech over the music in the OK show?

Yeah, I immediately called it a "future song". It was just too beautiful to be a random thing. I've been waiting 4 years to hear where this has gone... and I'm completely fuckin' blown away.

My buddy attended the last ten shows. He stated that he had become friends with one of the lighting techs. The told him that the last 10 days would be special. At the time we thought this was the DVD. But, now having heard the new album, maybe it was the fact that they were previewing new material and none of us knew it?

Also, if you listen to live versions of Schism....the intro they do has some very unique chimes in it....these were used in Vicarious.

To answer your question, Yes. Maynard did the whole positive speech thing. My 11-16-02 is heavily circulated on the internet at this point, you can find it anywhere and listen to it.

Seven Deep
04-19-2006, 06:55 AM
ahh suntzu..

what was your secret?

Most people get a good reproduction of the guitars, or the drums, but rarely both.

Aside from some minor phase, the OKC show was easily the best of the Lateralus tour recordings.

tangent
04-19-2006, 07:08 AM
He means there was no effort put into this track, or not much... Right?!

prime weed
04-23-2006, 05:34 PM
i used to love jamming out to that part before Lateralus on my live bootlegs. maynard would talk about always doing something positive while they played that riff, and thank adam, danny, and justin, and the crowd of course.It would flow so nicely into Lateralus.

Now for the new shows they are gonna Spiral Out , and close with 10,000days, that would be the dream scenario for me. 3 hour sets makes sense, lol

thank you tool for a free piece of the puzzle of life.

optimistic-pessimist
04-23-2006, 06:13 PM
Yes 11/16/02 is OKC. And they played it right before Lateralus. Actually, it's the last 2 minutes of Triad from that show.

p.s.

Glad you liked my show ;)

Actually you and I had a pretty extensive conversation about that recording at one time, if I remember correctly. I was just getting into recording myself and wanted to find out about the equipment and technique used.

I just got some high-end binaurals that I'm going to try out on the upcoming tour. *fingers crossed for some good results*

suntzu420
04-26-2006, 08:45 AM
ahh suntzu..

what was your secret?

Most people get a good reproduction of the guitars, or the drums, but rarely both.

Aside from some minor phase, the OKC show was easily the best of the Lateralus tour recordings.

Being that this is a board that the band reads, I really don't feel comfortable discussing my recording technique. Especially since I will be taping at Coachella in a few days. IF you want to PM me, i'll tell ya how I taped it, and it's extrememly easy and used by a handful of us that tape Tool with lowend rigs.

ProfoundHaytred
05-02-2006, 10:29 AM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=1355

I started this topic three years ago.

Dredg
05-02-2006, 11:51 AM
http://toolnavy.com/showthread.php?t=1355

I started this topic three years ago.

do you feel proud? like you are on top of the world? strong? intelligent? smart? conscious?

There is a chance that they could of developed the riff while touring, so who knows. The point is, nobody cares and you shouldnt really either.

yourealizethis
05-09-2006, 01:40 PM
I have an excellent recording from the 2002 Lateralus Tour that I'll link to later...if i can....Kansas City I believe. The 1st time I heard "Wings for Marie" I was like "holy-fucking-cock-shit!" thats awesome. Trying to explain it to my friends and family wasn't happening, so thanks everyone for reclaiming my sanity. To think that a little guitar part would translate into a magnificient epic 17min. song, years later. It's awesome. I dunno if it would be wise to post here though...i'll probably violate some rule or something...and this is only my 2nd post.

toolish
05-15-2006, 09:57 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhe1Ec5hOP0&search=tool%20days

AEnimaTOOLer
05-15-2006, 10:50 AM
sorry i didnt post this earlier...i was at a Moline show, it was the last show of that leg of the touring. it was a VERY short show as they were all tired of touring, however, there were TONS of jam sessions throughout the show. now that i have actually heard this clip i remember one of the jams sounded very mellow, much like this one, but maynard also included lyrics what i remember sounded like you believed over and over and over. i could be making all of this up in my head, cause this was a real long time ago. but i am positive that they played a ton of jams and they played one jam very similar to this intro to lateralus and it had lyrics.....if anyone made a recording of this show, PLEASE PM me....it was deffinitly NOT the best show i had ever been to, but maynard was VERY talkative, infact during the Tomahawk opener, he came out in his reverand outfit...so if anyones got audio, pm me please

StinkFister
05-25-2006, 07:25 PM
I went to 5 shows on that tour. I just realized when i downloaded a bootleg from the Oklahoma city show that they played it before lateralus.

renegade46n2
06-06-2006, 07:01 PM
was just about to start a thread - live boot from 11-24-02 i think !

Same here. I heard it while watching the bootleg and was like, "whoa, I know that song". I knew they wrote some of this stuff during the Lateralus era and this proves it.

EGG-MAN
06-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Reno was on 11/23/02 not 11/22/02.

Navid
07-11-2006, 12:14 PM
The youtube clip seems to have been removed by the user. Is there anywhere I can listen to this live performance of Wings from '02?

3rdcancer
07-12-2006, 11:07 AM
The youtube clip seems to have been removed by the user. Is there anywhere I can listen to this live performance of Wings from '02?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq7Rn0S4A5k

weesper
07-13-2006, 02:51 AM
and at the end of that clip that flash with the pentagram over it, is the fibonacci spiral of eyes on the 10,000 days disc... and this was in 20002????

optimistic-pessimist
07-13-2006, 04:12 AM
Good lord...

Its not a "fibonacci spiral of eyes"... It's Alex Grey's painting called Collective Vision, and he painted it in 1995. Yes TOOL used it as a backdrop on the '02 tour, as well as on a t-shirt. And yes they recycled it for the 10,000 Days artwork, which was rather disappointing to see. It's a great painting and all... but come on....

http://www.spacement.com/BasicElements/Images/EasterEggImages/collective-vision.jpg

Oh and it's not a five-sided star (pentagram)... it's the seven-sided Star of Babalon... a Thelemic symbol.

http://www.independentartistscompany.com/spotlight/symbols/151.jpg

weesper
07-13-2006, 04:59 AM
All right you're right I quickly glanced at it thought I saw a pentagram...

And yes it's Alex Grey's, that has circulated here forever; the staircase in the painting refers to the fibonacci spiral, that's why I called it a fibonacci spiral of eyes (they've not used that previously on this side of the atalantic to my knowledge though).

http://www.pims.math.ca/education/2000/bus00/sunflower/

You happy now?

optimistic-pessimist
07-13-2006, 07:59 AM
Sorry I've just seen it so many times that I forget that it might be new to some... (the backdrop they used in '02). No worries...

weesper
07-14-2006, 03:28 AM
Also, if you listen to live versions of Schism....the intro they do has some very unique chimes in it....these were used in Vicarious.

You're right, saw the Oklahoma show this morning and the intro to schism uses the chimes and the alarmclock- like sound on the iron of the hi-hat used for vicarious.

implandnoises
07-14-2006, 10:07 PM
I thought I saw a pentagram...

I did! I did saw a pentagram!

optimistic-pessimist
07-15-2006, 12:13 PM
... it's seven-sided. The Star of Babalon. It's a Thelemic symbol. Here...

http://static.flickr.com/65/155093407_8bf36464e1.jpg?v=0

Edit... Whoops I just got it. Tweety. Very funny...

Radius
07-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Wow thats extremely cool. Secret riffs up their sleeves. Devious FIENDS!
What else have they got in their secret box?!?

paraflux
07-18-2006, 09:07 AM
do you feel proud? like you are on top of the world? strong? intelligent? smart? conscious?

There is a chance that they could of developed the riff while touring, so who knows. The point is, nobody cares and you shouldnt really either.
I dont understand why you are being like this. The guy started a thread 3 years ago talking about this, and I think he deserves a custom title.

Dredg
07-18-2006, 08:33 PM
I dont understand why you are being like this. The guy started a thread 3 years ago talking about this, and I think he deserves a custom title.

here here, but since i brought up the topic 3 seconds after I heard the track was leaked, dont I get a custom title too? PLEASE>>>>PLEASEE!!!!!

TOOL_Rules
07-21-2006, 07:05 AM
sorry i didnt post this earlier...i was at a Moline show, it was the last show of that leg of the touring. it was a VERY short show as they were all tired of touring, however, there were TONS of jam sessions throughout the show. now that i have actually heard this clip i remember one of the jams sounded very mellow, much like this one, but maynard also included lyrics what i remember sounded like you believed over and over and over. i could be making all of this up in my head, cause this was a real long time ago. but i am positive that they played a ton of jams and they played one jam very similar to this intro to lateralus and it had lyrics.....if anyone made a recording of this show, PLEASE PM me....it was deffinitly NOT the best show i had ever been to, but maynard was VERY talkative, infact during the Tomahawk opener, he came out in his reverand outfit...so if anyones got audio, pm me please

I was at that show, but didn't have any way to record. I remember a lot of jams in that very short show as well. But nothing specific. I remember they opened up with a cover song, some tune by The Ramanes, I believe. They only played 8 of their own songs and it was the shortest TOOL show I have ever seen. They were indeed tired and if you can avoid seeing the last show on a tour leg, it's probably a good idea. Interesting thread, though. Hope someone comes up with some video of it. Oops, saw it. How awesome is that???