PDA

View Full Version : Maynard reinvented

Ĉmitis
04-18-2006, 05:54 PM
So, how many bands have a lead singer that can completely shapeshift his voice like Maynard does and still sound great? Not many I believe... This would be the perfect song to be labeled as a hoax... And it will be a great single. Oh, anyone feels Layne Staley pulling the strings in this one?

LP|Stang
04-18-2006, 05:56 PM
If Undertow Maynard heard this, he'd kick his own ass.

orbitalchime
04-18-2006, 05:57 PM

lol haha

K In Yo Mouf
04-18-2006, 06:03 PM
LMAO Wat a Talent, Thatz All I Have 2 Say...

el57
04-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Worst Tool song yet

spiralout11235
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
This song was unlike any other song on the album. It seemed more like a Jam session, just Tool rocking out. Decent track, not one of the stronger points on the album though.

phreak03
04-18-2006, 06:16 PM
maynards vocals is too soft, but lyrics are awesome. Bass, Guitar and Drums are fucking amazing

Neel
04-18-2006, 06:19 PM
This is one of my favorite songs on the cd at the moment, but Ive only listened to the cd once.

lexiconoclast
04-18-2006, 06:21 PM
this confirms my led zeppelin analog to the hilt

i fucking love this band

FlamingEye
04-18-2006, 07:39 PM
god damn that into sucks!!!! I like the rest I guess but his voice sounds like shit in the beginning

John Doggett
04-19-2006, 02:13 AM
"Hi, my name is Maynard and I'm going to throw vocals down for a whole album a few weeks before we release it."

Light Reflections
04-19-2006, 02:15 AM
lol.

It's grown on me. Really digging his vocals on this one.

Wretched
04-19-2006, 02:42 AM
To answer his question:

Mike Patton.

guitarpete987
04-19-2006, 06:36 AM
The vocals are a bit different at first, but for all you 'purists' they get back to 'normal' fast. Maynard actually puts in a genius performance over the course of the song. And who is to define what is toolish? Maybe Maynard is talking to all of these early detractors: Who are YOU to wave your finger (at me about what I should sound like)?

Besides, this song is complete opiate/undertow funkiness that I never thought I'd hear again, and it's beautiful.

And this far from ruins the album. It helps it, as far as I'm concerned. This and Rosetta Stoned reassured me about this band. After Lateralus I was worried they might have meditated their brains into possible redundancy. Boy was I wrong. There is still life left in this band... much life.

Opiate_Mass
04-19-2006, 06:38 AM
Worst Tool song yet
and that TDNer's is what we call a ***got -.-

RED_THE_HAT
04-19-2006, 07:27 AM
amen

Bob_Marley_Wannabe
04-19-2006, 07:31 AM

LMAO, yeah w/ his mohawk and shitty attitude

y-k=1/4p(x-h)^2
04-19-2006, 07:33 AM
I couldn't handle thinking it was Maynard...I thought it was Cedric from The Mars Volta guest-singing. More listens have made me more comfortable.

KFJ
04-19-2006, 08:39 AM
Had the album since last night and this song has had the most plays.
Lovin it, first 45 seconds not withstanding.

nkazoura
04-19-2006, 08:53 AM
hell ya, this song is bad ass, doesn't it remind anyone of prison sex, kind of a classic rock feel, just a little with the james blunt intro

we'll see if he can pull it off live

Violent Rapist
04-19-2006, 08:56 AM
i thought i was listening to maroon 5 at first. this was a shot right in the testicles, maynard's testicles. this song is by far the worst song i've heard tool make. i don't know what you guys can appreciate about the weird creepy womanly voice i heard maynard sing with, but it's a real dissappointment in my eyes.

commence the hating, but understand that i don't care.

shorabali
04-19-2006, 08:59 AM
hhe sounds like the dude fomr maroon 5.

shorabali
04-19-2006, 09:00 AM
i tihnk the voice is pwerful.

BlairLicksTaint
04-19-2006, 09:46 AM
One of my favorites.

I hear candlebox's singer in this song

Exile
04-19-2006, 09:51 AM
rofl

QuantumMind
04-19-2006, 09:58 AM
the song is weird at first but turns into one of the best songs on the album

Nietzsche's Dead
04-19-2006, 10:54 AM

:D

i lol'd. hard. :D

good point though. but i still <3 the song

hbynoe
04-19-2006, 01:43 PM
this album definitely showcases him as a greater vocalist than i thought he was
and he has been the best
so he just beat himself in my book
what a fucker

a big stupid dumbass
04-19-2006, 02:20 PM
The vocals are a bit different at first, but for all you 'purists' they get back to 'normal' fast. Maynard actually puts in a genius performance over the course of the song. And who is to define what is toolish? Maybe Maynard is talking to all of these early detractors: Who are YOU to wave your finger (at me about what I should sound like)?

Besides, this song is complete opiate/undertow funkiness that I never thought I'd hear again, and it's beautiful.

And this far from ruins the album. It helps it, as far as I'm concerned. This and Rosetta Stoned reassured me about this band. After Lateralus I was worried they might have meditated their brains into possible redundancy. Boy was I wrong. There is still life left in this band... much life.

Well fucking put...this song is wonderful and it just jams a certiain points. Really reminds me of when I first heard the band when I was young and felt the power of the groove.

wolvie111
04-19-2006, 02:34 PM
This is by far My favorite song. When I first heard it I was like "WTF is that?". But now it has grown on me, and has had the most listens so far.

praefector
04-19-2006, 03:48 PM
it took getting used to

but now i am comfortable with it

the beginning is still a little too much but the latter half of the song more than makes up for it.

how about justin doing his best paul impression??!... i love it

buster hymen
04-19-2006, 04:32 PM
hell ya, this song is bad ass, doesn't it remind anyone of prison sex, kind of a classic rock feel, just a little with the james blunt intro

we'll see if he can pull it off live

Well I was absolutely reminded of the undertow album all together (likely the bass line) with this one so yeah I agree with you.

Reflection
04-19-2006, 05:35 PM

lol

orange.juice
04-19-2006, 05:39 PM
i'd pay to see Undertow Maynard kicking his own ass.

psims23
04-19-2006, 05:54 PM
just heard Maroon 5 and HAHA, he so does... how sad... but it still sounds good with the music

mousersix
04-19-2006, 07:48 PM
i thought i was listening to maroon 5 at first. this was a shot right in the testicles, maynard's testicles. this song is by far the worst song i've heard tool make. i don't know what you guys can appreciate about the weird creepy womanly voice i heard maynard sing with, but it's a real dissappointment in my eyes.

commence the hating, but understand that i don't care.

did you even listen past the first 20 seconds? the song is amazing.

the usual
04-20-2006, 06:42 PM
To answer his question:

Mike Patton.

\TRue...

Tupac Chopra
04-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Word.

TC

noisetherapy
04-20-2006, 10:44 PM
it just astounds me so much. i love it because nobody does anything different. except tool. its like maynard singing in "the package" in a way he never really tried... he took a leap of faith with this one, but i think he nailed it. great track.

wks49
04-21-2006, 05:11 AM

I wanted to kick maynards ass after hearing it. Then i remembered he's a judo motherfucker. Maybe i could throw a rock at him.

Bleakest Harvest
04-21-2006, 06:11 AM
I like this one loads, possibly my second favourite after Jambi at the minute.

Narcasist
04-21-2006, 06:51 AM
When I first heard this I was like what the fuck, then I started ROFL'ing. Then it turned into a badass song. It's not that bad, I think it shows good vocal range at least.

Light Reflections
04-21-2006, 08:18 AM
Oh yeah, Maynard's greatest vocal performance on the album, for sure.

Thing is, this is what a lot of this album lacks IMO. Maynard's soaring vocals. Aah well, I still love it.

OG-Whoop
04-21-2006, 08:53 AM
I can't believe how many of you people are missing the irony in the intro vocals.

K In Yo Mouf
04-21-2006, 09:24 AM
Why Don't u Explain 2 Us the Irony Then?

JeffSnow
04-21-2006, 01:41 PM
why do people like Mike patton? Ugh.

Yes this song is great, yes maynards voice is great!

ProdigyDub
04-21-2006, 01:52 PM
This song was unlike any other song on the album. It seemed more like a Jam session, just Tool rocking out. Decent track, not one of the stronger points on the album though.

Definitely one of the strongest tracks on the album, actually.

KFJ
04-21-2006, 02:40 PM
I can't believe how many of you people are missing the irony in the intro vocals.

What, like he's singing high?

orimazd
04-21-2006, 06:05 PM
i'd pay to see Undertow Maynard kicking his own ass.
Number two on my list of stuff to do should I get ahold of a time machine.
1. See Jeff Buckley's performance at Sin-e which got him a record deal
2. Bring Undertow Maynard to the future, and make him listen to The Pot. He'll want to beat himself up at first, but then as it gets better, he'll want to have sex with himself.

Yard Man
04-21-2006, 07:40 PM
Honestly I shuttered when Mayanrd started in with the "Who are you to wave your finger.." bullshit sounding vocals at the start of this song. And right after Wings and 10,000 days which fucking was awesome. Definitly a mood killer. ONce the music kicks in Maynard isn't so bad but the start was like....blech.

eksyte
04-21-2006, 08:05 PM
I wasn't sure what to think when this first came on, but it quickly became my favorite track. Then again, I dig Primus, so I'm probably not the average listener.

As someone mentioned earlier, who are we to deem what a Tool song should sound like?

I seriously doubt anyone outside of the band should be able to make such a discision. For anyone who thinks differently, go listen to Hush. Heh...

hbynoe
04-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Number two on my list of stuff to do should I get ahold of a time machine.
1. See Jeff Buckley's performance at Sin-e which got him a record deal
2. Bring Undertow Maynard to the future, and make him listen to The Pot. He'll want to beat himself up at first, but then as it gets better, he'll want to have sex with himself.
:)

lmao

smeefsmeef
04-22-2006, 12:20 AM
The intro to this song kinda reminds me of the intro to "Opiate".. soft, clear, and melodic... I think anyone who thinks Maynard has "lost his balls" should look back at the first album. He can still scream like a banshee on steroids.

macfreak
04-22-2006, 12:34 AM
Worst Tool song yet
Not quite. I thought the same some days ago...but listening to it more and more, it fuckin rules it is true that at start the voive is way strage but it gets better and better i love all te album (maybe roseta stoned not)

StaringJunky
04-22-2006, 10:27 AM
This is very clearly maynard's voice, he is just taking a new approach, that's a good thing DAMMIT!
CHANGE IS GOOD !!!!
Geez, I dont get what the fuss is about, some may not like the new style and that is ok but it is great that maynard trys new things on this album while the change before was just from album to album and very subtle at that.

oui
04-22-2006, 10:30 AM
This is very clearly maynard's voice, he is just taking a new approach, that's a good thing DAMMIT!
CHANGE IS GOOD !!!!
Geez, I dont get what the fuss is about, some may not like the new style and that is ok but it is great that maynard trys new things on this album while the change before was just from album to album and very subtle at that.

Agreed. Maynard can do what he wants. I love the vocal intro and the fact that Maynard isn't afraid to experiment with his voice. Embrace it.

Light Reflections
04-22-2006, 10:34 PM
This track is proof that the 'nard has still got it.

42 years old, and still one of the greatest voices in the business.

Masterangelbasher
04-23-2006, 05:56 AM
It's not Zepellin......It's Aerosmith.....Train kepta rollin'

And a lot of Singers can change the way they sound album to album song to song.
Mike Patton, David Gilmore, (not to sound stupid, but) Axl Rose. BUT how many heavy singers? Sorry Robert Plant, but you've got nothing on Maynard....NOTHING.

toocooltool
04-23-2006, 06:13 AM
Some of my mates say they think he has a boring voice.

I love it though, and so do you.

Light Reflections
04-23-2006, 07:38 AM
Some of my mates say they think he has a boring voice.

I love it though, and so do you.
I would slap them upside the head, if I were you.

phishman1
04-24-2006, 05:20 AM
Maynard's vocals on the beginning of this song definitely caught me off guard, which I imaging was part of his intent.

My question is: Will he sing it the same way live? The intro, I mean...

tool/rush/mars
04-24-2006, 04:28 PM
Some of you guys are so painfully closed minded/retarded. This song is fucking amazing. The vocal intro is nothing short of brilliant, the way the bass and guitar work together is nothing short of genius. There is a certain beauty in the simplicity of this song.

My favorite song on the album at this point, lost keys being a close second.

Also, as far as the voice goes. I'm pretty sure that a resonant filter of some sort is used on the voice, that is certainly not a normal sounding voice. I think it kicks major ass.

But most of you wanted Lateralus 2 so I can see why you are complaining.

themayanlion
04-24-2006, 05:32 PM
To answer his question:

Mike Patton.

quoted for emphasis

Light Reflections
04-25-2006, 05:51 AM
Yeah, Patton is brilliant.

flawlessme
04-25-2006, 07:11 AM
Singing the whole song in that falsetto, I think is brilliant. I wonder if he can do it on stage though, quite a challenge. But if anyone can, it has to Maynard.

skane
04-26-2006, 08:59 AM
...I thought it was Cedric from The Mars Volta guest-singing. More listens have made me more comfortable.

it sure sounds a bit like The Mars Volta to me.Not just the singing but also parts of the song..

This track is amazing top to bottom,wouldn't change a thing in it

Hopefuly they´ll play it live in 30 days time

soberschism
04-26-2006, 10:33 AM
god damn that into sucks!!!! I like the rest I guess but his voice sounds like shit in the beginning

totaly agree..

Peter Ethan
04-26-2006, 12:31 PM
Not actually downloaded the album, though the thought has crossed my mind, i have actually heard 'The Pot'. Fucking amazing song, as Skane said, woudn't change one thing about it. oh yeah, this is my first post. . . . .

nconcklin
04-26-2006, 04:34 PM

I'd like to see herion addict Maynard attempt to beat up healthy Maynard.

fourdegrees
04-26-2006, 04:57 PM

http://img249.imageshack.us/img249/6222/tool10kdayslol6ui.gif (http://imageshack.us)

All laughing aside, when I first heard this track come on I thought "wtf?" but after a few listens I got into it. He took his singing in a new direction for this song, one not even seen on APC tracks. Call it falsetto or whatever in the beginning, but he never really goes back to singing how we're used to hearing him. Fine by me. I'm all for hearing how Tool is exploring their sound and pushing their abilities.

Seems like saying it sucks or was a bad choice or whatever is kind of like looking at a painting and saying, "wow, what a dumbass painter. these brush strokes should have been made in the other direction." :P

seanb
04-27-2006, 10:50 AM
Oh, anyone feels Layne Staley pulling the strings in this one?

Not specifically on this song, but I thought I heard a little Layne Staley throughout the album, especially on Rosetta Stoned.

Vecromatica
04-28-2006, 04:37 PM
To answer his question:

Mike Patton.
Mike Patton isn't human.

Maynard has nothing on this man. The real question should be, "who can transform their voice as well/much as Mike Patton?"

Elite
04-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Some of you guys are so painfully closed minded/retarded. This song is fucking amazing. The vocal intro is nothing short of brilliant, the way the bass and guitar work together is nothing short of genius. There is a certain beauty in the simplicity of this song.

My favorite song on the album at this point, lost keys being a close second.

Also, as far as the voice goes. I'm pretty sure that a resonant filter of some sort is used on the voice, that is certainly not a normal sounding voice. I think it kicks major ass.

But most of you wanted Lateralus 2 so I can see why you are complaining.

Agreed 100%. All of you guys that are hatin on how he sings in the intro are embarassing yourselves. I think the beggining is brilliant, something different, and he's exposing he's vocal range. I suppose you guys want to hear the same thing over and over again? I respect the fact the this band has the ability to change and GROW as musicians. As a listener, it's even more fun to grow with them, to watch and listen to the band mature; if you can't see this, I honestly feel sorry for you and the fact that you won't be able to recieve this aspect of enjoyment that more open-minded people recieve all the time. However some of you idiots can't see past the surface and when you hear something out of the norm you immediately bash it, grow up.

SagEarthDragon
04-29-2006, 05:46 PM
After Lateralus I was worried they might have meditated their brains into possible redundancy. Boy was I wrong. There is still life left in this band... much life.

Hahahahaaahhahaaha. I love this line!

Can I get an amen!?

But Lateralus is still platinum on the ranking of tool albums. You just can't use the same formula forever.

][ncognito
04-30-2006, 06:52 PM
The intro to this song kinda reminds me of the intro to "Opiate".. soft, clear, and melodic... I think anyone who thinks Maynard has "lost his balls" should look back at the first album. He can still scream like a banshee on steroids.

That's what I thought of as well after hearing the intro to this. First listen I was like "holy shit, what?" The only thing that makes this seem so odd is the fact that he's doing vocal slides or whatever you want to call it. It's really similar to how Opiate opened.

Honeslty I can't imagine this song sounding better with a different intro. It's got that great silence before the bass kicks in under the vocals, and it's just fucking brilliant.

Corevelay
05-01-2006, 10:19 AM
I think he sounds a bit like he does on Opiate/Undertow really. Not exactly obviously...but it does somewhat have the feel of the old style.

claytonious
05-01-2006, 04:41 PM
yeah it's different, but it wouldn't be Tool if something didn't change for changes sake. IMO it fits in well with an utterly brilliant album and this one stands out, but the thing we all seem to miss while some of us make Maroon 5 or James Blunt comparisons is that these guys dont swell up emmotions like Maynard and the Boys do...

the whole album to me sounds like an old friend telling you some very good news!

:D

pjfan
05-02-2006, 02:16 AM
I HATE his voice at the beginning but this song as a whole just rocks IMO. Turn it up loud and rock like a motherfucker....LOL

deuceman
05-02-2006, 03:33 AM
This could be the best song on the album....for now. What is so incredible about Tool is that in a month, or three, or a year, something else could be the best song on the album...

Unlike, say, Shout, on the Pet Shop Boys album...bwaahaa....but Disturbed's version is okay, in a sad kind of way. Definitely better than the original.

phant
05-02-2006, 05:56 AM
It's great to hear more hard rock.
That's what sold me on these guys in the first place.

deuceman
05-02-2006, 06:52 AM
Totally agree, phant. I'm the first to admit their fillers are very clever and their instrumental type stuff really is thoughtful and they are awesome musicians, but give me the Ticks and Leeches, Parabola, Hooker, etc, any day. That, to me, is the real Tool music. Each to his / her / it's own, eh?

renegade46n2
05-02-2006, 09:23 AM
His voice at the beginning reminds me of something he would have done with apc on Emotive. I guess he carried it over with him.

tool/rush/mars
05-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I love how you all think he can sound like that normally, there is a resonant filter on his voice. THere is actually three different vocal tracks in the beginning, one is his regular voice that traack is then cloned and a resonant filter is added.

Then there is the track very low in the mix, which i hope you can all hear.

Kjac18
05-02-2006, 10:06 AM
you have to think about is if he started singing this song with his normal tone it would haven't had such and impact and prolly wouldn't have sounded as great as it does

Bodhi
05-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Agreed. It got my attention to listen after the wings for marie duo. Which is pretty awesome. Thumbs up for "The Pot"!!!

Glid
05-03-2006, 04:07 AM
This is the reason I am happy to have a $1500 stereo in my truck!

Huh?

I sat by a lake last night and listened to the whole CD at high volume.

Muthafukkah! That was a complete experience.

azazel
05-03-2006, 04:23 AM
i had a thought about this song...

try holding your breath in and talking at the same time (like when you're smoking and talking), sound familiar?
Maybe this is the irony earlier inferred? Certainly makes sense to me that someone who sounds like they are smoking (possibly a joint) taking a shot at someone else and saying they 'must have been high' could be considered ironic...

discuss

Feitiço
05-03-2006, 11:22 AM
grooviest song on the album and funny too-- Satire Metal \m/

drummerwithapenis
05-03-2006, 12:48 PM
at first I thought they sped up his vocals... but now I see that he just smoked a bowl right before he sang it.

I like the song though, it reminds me of how "Hooker w/ a penis" changed the pace of the album.

peolesdru
05-03-2006, 08:24 PM
I wanted to kick maynards ass after hearing it. Then i remembered he's a judo motherfucker. Maybe i could throw a rock at him.

So I take it you like rocks up your ass.

submachine
05-03-2006, 11:29 PM

hahahaha.

Luosdasa
05-04-2006, 12:04 AM
Best song on the album. Lyrics at the start really grab ya, and, i doesnt matter how they're done, sound pretty fucking awesome. I dont think i want him to sing like that all the time... but a bit of variety doesn't do any harm. Gotta love how the band found yet anotha way to go after Lateralus.

Rock out with ya cock out.

Dashel
05-04-2006, 07:34 AM
Really like it. Just a great rock groove and his vocals give it that perfect extra something.

Pierrou
05-04-2006, 11:21 AM
To me, this is not the best track on the album, in terms of musical research, but man, it rocks ! The drum part is damn incredible !

Like a lot of people here, I was surprised by Maynard's singing... but I'm not sure I'd kick his ass, it's not the singing we're used to, but maybe he's trying some new stuff. As noisetherapy said ( page 1 I think ), it reminds a bit of what he did in "Thirteenth Step", some songs of this APC album kinda make the link between his singing in Lateralus and 10,000 days...

DeathByPain
05-04-2006, 02:28 PM
this album definitely showcases him as a greater vocalist than i thought he was
and he has been the best
so he just beat himself in my book
what a fucker

Is that like when Kenny G broke his own record for blowing the longest single note on the sax? Except Kenny G sucks when he blows.

Wow what a horrific pun. I feel the need to explain it even. I meant he sucks as in... well... Kenny G sucks, but actually the way he blew a single note for 40+ minutes was by circular breathing, meaning he sucks in air through his nose while blowing air out of his mouth simultaneously... holy god damn.

But yeah, the intro vocals freaked me out at first. I like it though - he's just trying something different. He must have been high.

Jerk off
05-04-2006, 03:26 PM
I was almost sure it was Devo untill i heard " you must have been out your head" the way he say that was pure maynard

MyShadow683
05-04-2006, 04:34 PM
i just think its amazing how he changes the intensity from the first time he sings...

who are you to wave your fatty fingers at me
You must have been out your mind (first at 3:31-3:40) and then he yells MIIIIIIIIINDDDDD when he sings

ganja police
you must have been out your MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIND (5:54-6:07)

the intensity of him yelling mind the second time round and holding it for a good 5 seconds just makes u wanna scream at the top of ur lungs with him

Burd
05-04-2006, 05:17 PM
The intro sounds like Maynard in APC's "The Fiddle and the Drum".

I hate that song.

But strangely, I love this one.

Tathagata
05-04-2006, 07:38 PM
Love it. Maynard made my ears orgasm. Versatility of voice it the mark of a true master.

ParanoidCitizen
05-04-2006, 08:40 PM
His voice at the beginning reminds me of something he would have done with apc on Emotive. I guess he carried it over with him.

The intro sounds like Maynard in APC's "The Fiddle and the Drum".

I hate that song.

But strangely, I love this one.

I was thinking the same thing as both of you guys. And for anyone who thinks Maynard's voice sonds odd on the beginning of this track should hear his voice in "When the Levee Breaks" on Emotive. I thought it was a woman singing it at first then the more i listened i realized it was Maynard and the booklet confirmed this.

question93
05-05-2006, 03:08 PM
I get the feel from Undertow with the bassline on this song. But the other elements of it are different, new, and I rikey.

SGiant
05-05-2006, 11:48 PM
Dude why can't Maynard just growl more and hit some chicks? Fucking whiny BS gets old and ugly and everyone on this forum can apparently sing the opening so why are we bothering? More metal. Less vocal stylings. Also, thinking. If we could have less of that...

SGiant
05-05-2006, 11:50 PM
The only serious post I'll make: if you hated "Fiddle and the Drum," most other music, the rest of your life, will be a complete waste of time. You are too far gone. More metal! More metal!!! More metalllll!!!!!!!

HateSolstice
05-06-2006, 01:32 AM
Honestly, I thought it was brilliant the way he started the song. I remember the first time I heard the song it was in my car, and the dude driving the car next to us(my wife and I)looked over and gave us the classic "What the fuck?" look. Then I just smiled and turned it up. Then the song proceeded to kick ass.

I seriously think that Tool gets better with each album. Musically, lyrically. Don't get me wrong, I still think to this very day the best damned Tool song ever is Forty-Six & 2, but they have matured and grown with the years. I mean, honestly, to still be doing the punk crap at age 40-something would make them look pretty immature anyway. Just take a look at The Offspring. They just haven't been able to shake the whole "Pretty Fly(For A White Guy)" style since it happened.

And I don't think any of us want to see THAT happen to Tool.

mike_d1234
05-10-2006, 08:26 PM
The Pot is far and away my favorite song on the album...and i say that absolutely loving Jambi, 10,000 Days, Vicarious, Rosetta and Right In Town....it's that good to me. Maynards vocal delivery on the entire song is the highlight of the album for me (along with Justin's bass playing on this track). i think i fell in love from the "foot in mouth, head up asshole...what you talkin' bout" line. for some reason that line just catches me.

obwah
05-10-2006, 08:46 PM
Dude why can't Maynard just growl more and hit some chicks? Fucking whiny BS gets old and ugly and everyone on this forum can apparently sing the opening so why are we bothering? More metal. Less vocal stylings. Also, thinking. If we could have less of that...

WTF? No appreciation. I think your lack of thinking more than makes up for everyone elses intelligent efforts.

Brilliant song and even better display of versatility. Love the contrast from some of the other (also brilliant) stuff...

Koan
05-12-2006, 05:43 PM
I couldn't handle thinking it was Maynard...I thought it was Cedric from The Mars Volta guest-singing. More listens have made me more comfortable.

I think it sounds nothing like Cedric. Maynard's vocals on this album are off the scale. They just soar right trough the music, it is great and touching.

Nith Sahor
05-12-2006, 06:01 PM
I love how you all think he can sound like that normally, there is a resonant filter on his voice. THere is actually three different vocal tracks in the beginning, one is his regular voice that traack is then cloned and a resonant filter is added.

Then there is the track very low in the mix, which i hope you can all hear.

Ah, so that's what it is.... I noticed that if you turn up the volume and listen carefully right at the beginning, you can hear another voice sing the "Who are you....", maybe a second and a half before the main voice sings it. Rather weird if you ask me.

Gregead
05-13-2006, 07:04 AM
This is one of my favorite's on the cd. Everyone who thinks this song is terrible, you make me sad.

Bukkhead
05-14-2006, 09:28 AM
I think it's frickin hilarious that people would seek to judge this song, this singer. Especially this song. Folks are entitled to their opinions, but opinions are like assholes, aren't they? Back up those opinions with some sort of substance. If there was ever a band that didn't give a damn what people thought, it's this one. Don't like it? Don't listen. Enough said.

tbrent21
05-21-2006, 10:39 AM

Hilarious comment, but if this is true, the Undertow Maynard would have been kicking ass from the minute AEnima came out. Very first track, the way Maynard sings, "If I don't feel anything at all."

WitlessLiar
05-21-2006, 01:04 PM
I guess I'm one of the few that really enjoys the beginning of the song. And I hate high voices too.

tbrent21
05-21-2006, 01:47 PM
The beginning of "The Pot" (vocals, bass) sounds alot like Yes (John Anderson, Chris Squire). Then it hits like a thunderclap and becomes unmistakeably Tool -- starts like an Undertow flashback, then becomes a Undertow/AEnima mix.

submachine
05-21-2006, 03:30 PM
This could be the best song on the album.....

Second best, after Vicarious

JOK3R
05-21-2006, 03:30 PM

LMAO yea and undertow maynard would win.

the first time i heard this song the air got knocked out of me then when the bass kicked in i felt a little releived...

SunBurN
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
this song rocks! What's not to love about it? After his acapella singing/lyrics (which I think are cool since it's so different for a Tool song) it's just classic tool! Fucking kickass song!