PDA

View Full Version : The bell noise things...

iuguolo
04-18-2006, 12:28 PM
dont hurt me if this has already been discussed.

is it just me or do the bell things use the melodything from a breaking benjamin song. the "your so cold.." song? just after some feedback on that, sorta ruined the song for me.

CallofCthulhu
04-18-2006, 12:29 PM

is it just me or do the bell things use the melodything from a breaking benjamin song. the "your so cold.." song? just after some feedback on that, sorta ruined the song for me.

Danny did the bell sound on the Lateralus tour during between song jams. Donno how old the breaking benjamin song is, but I'm proud I've never heard it.

eddie75
04-18-2006, 12:29 PM
It sounds more to me like one of the old school alarms with the bells on the top

iuguolo
04-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Danny did the bell sound on the Lateralus tour during between song jams. Donno how old the breaking benjamin song is, but I'm proud I've never heard it.

so you should be. i hate radio.

CallofCthulhu
04-18-2006, 12:39 PM
so you should be. i hate radio.

As do I

A WalkAbout
04-18-2006, 12:45 PM
sounds to me like he is going a really fast single roll on th bell of a cymbal, which is what he is doing.

Rav
04-18-2006, 02:16 PM
It's not the bell of any convential cymbal. Danny uses Paiste bells and chimes, I'd imagine it is probably him using those, possibly with some effects in the mix.

See here for the cymbal setup:

http://paiste.com/artists/viewendorser.php?group=1&type=1&sort=1&letter=A&endorserid=235&thumbs=1

Metlamaniac
04-18-2006, 02:21 PM
that fast roll your talking about on the cymbal is certainly not human. Electronics

rsh
04-18-2006, 02:24 PM
that fast roll your talking about on the cymbal is certainly not human. Electronics

Isac Khrondor
04-18-2006, 02:26 PM
It's Dannys alarm clock, it wakes him up just in time to start playing drums for the song.

Jahz
04-18-2006, 02:32 PM
It's actually the egg beater they talked about using in Adam's interview with Guitarworld.

Rav
04-18-2006, 03:00 PM

Ah you mean the drilling sort of sound?

I was refering to the bell chimes right at the start of the song.

Now it's been mentioned, I could imagine that when used against a heavy ride, an egg whisk being twirled might make the drilling type sound.

rsh
04-18-2006, 03:02 PM
he has flanger bells, sampled sounds, and electronic drums.

go to his website, there is his drum setup there and if u run your mouse over the instruments you will hear what they do.

dracomordag
04-18-2006, 03:17 PM
i thought the mandala synthesia thing was used for this?

kickass effect, whatever it is

lucydog
04-18-2006, 03:22 PM
I think hes using his new synesthesia mandala pads for that. i think thats how hes getting such a fast roll + volume change. the single strikes dont sound "real" to me either. more like a digital xylophone or something. this not really my field of expertise since i play bass, not drums, but it sounds electronic to me.

synesthesiacorp.com

I would really love to play with these! just thinking about the possibilities is unreal. imagine what you could do with a loop setup and a full set of these pads.

Opiate Son
04-18-2006, 03:25 PM

wow! if you think Tool got any ideas from a Breaking Benjamin song then you probably think The Beatles were heavily influenced by The Monkees!

nddurst
04-18-2006, 05:02 PM

I disagree. It is Danny Carey we're talking about. If any drummer could pull it off, it'd probably be him.

mmortal03
04-18-2006, 05:13 PM
wow! if you think Tool got any ideas from a Breaking Benjamin song then you probably think The Beatles were heavily influenced by The Monkees!

True. To the poster's credit though, "So Cold" is a good song. Their albums aren't necessarily good all the way through, but they have put out some good songs.

keenonkeenan
04-20-2006, 11:12 AM
I think hes using his new synesthesia mandala pads for that. i think thats how hes getting such a fast roll + volume change. the single strikes dont sound "real" to me either. more like a digital xylophone or something. this not really my field of expertise since i play bass, not drums, but it sounds electronic to me.

synesthesiacorp.com

I would really love to play with these! just thinking about the possibilities is unreal. imagine what you could do with a loop setup and a full set of these pads.

If you're talking about the fading in ringing sound strangeness in the intro I believe this is the eggbeater. I think it was in the interview in Guitar World with AJ that he mentioned that an eggbeater is used in one of the songs.... Am I wrong ?

ID-entity
04-20-2006, 11:46 AM
I just want to see Danny using an eggbeater live.

k~nug
04-20-2006, 06:07 PM
I can tell you what it is because my brother has it. Daney would play around with it between songs during Lateralus. he used a preset called Forest. Its the Roland Handsonic. I am 100% sure thats what it is.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/0/2/6/372026.jpg

TheHunter
04-20-2006, 06:38 PM
I concur on the handsonic.

refer to the dvd of ottawa 8/24/02 and watch danny during the pre-schism jam.

Topher
04-20-2006, 07:50 PM
I concur on the handsonic.

refer to the dvd of ottawa 8/24/02 and watch danny during the pre-schism jam.

I also agree. The DVD of the St Paul. Minn. show in 2002 - has the same 'bells' prior to Schism.