PDA

View Full Version : Vicarious Vocals / General Opinion..

Panesthesia
04-17-2006, 11:50 PM
I thought I'd gather all my thoughts in a single thread on this one, as it seems to be the issue that most people have a problem with "What happend to Maynard?"

Well, first of all, I would like to just say that I hope most of you have listend to the song at greater depth now. You have an idea of what lyrics come where, the choruses and solo's etc, so you have a pretty good idea of what to expect when you hear the song.

Now, as I've mentioned before, if you read through the lyrical interpretations of the song, and have them infront of you when you listen to Vicarious, Maynards voice creeps forward in the mix, and whilst he's still low enough to be his own instrument, he's also high enough to carry you through the complex time signatures and lets face it, Danny's increddible drumming.

This however, is not the first time we've seen Tool use this method at all. If you listen to 46+2, a similar style is used there (however I understand that Maynard sounds less rhaspy there).

What am I trying to say in all this? Every Tool song takes time to sink in, however still give it a chance, as all of us have had to do before. We wouldn't be members of this board if we haddn't given Lateralus and Ænima the required time to sink in.

Tool aren't doing anything new by having the vocals lower down in the mix, they've done it before and will do it again, lets just get past this agonizing period where we have no album to look at Vicarious in context, and try to keep open minded about the new album. I was disappointed in the song however now I'm pleased with it. While it dosen't compare to anything on Lateralus, every band has their zenith and you can't expect that to be every album. This seem's on par with Ænima however, and what more can I, or anyone on this board ask.

Let the flame's / commets commence..

passenger#44213
04-18-2006, 12:03 AM
In terms of vocals, at first i was none to impressed. I thought it belonged on a APC album. But after listening to the song a little and letting it sink in a little i think the vocals are perfect. I know its kind of contradictory but the husky way MJK is singing in this one adds a haunting nature i dont think he has added to any song before...

Elgyn
04-18-2006, 12:11 AM
I was a little off-put by the vocals initially, but having absorbed the song more, I find they're appropriate. They're just not as immediately apparent as on some other recordings. Basically, I agree with you.

Tachyon
04-18-2006, 12:23 AM
No offense to anyone, but I wonder when you decide you should do a "La la la"-thing. Cant they come up with something else. I would never compose a song with a "la la la"-thing it. I dont say i dont like it but to relate to the topic, I wished that they lowered this piece down.

F!end
04-18-2006, 12:25 AM
The "lalala" thing adds something new to Tool... that's what you wanted, didn't you?

A WalkAbout
05-03-2006, 01:51 PM
Vicarious Lyrics

Eye on [I own] the TV
Cause tragedy thrills me
Whatever flavor it happens to be
Like...
"Killed by the husband"
"Drowned by the Ocean"
"Shot by his own son"
"She used the poison in his tea
and kissed him goodbye"
That's my kind of story;
It's no fun until someone dies.

Don't look at me like I am a monster.
Frown out your one face, but with the other
Stare like a junkie into the TV.
Stare like a zombie, while the mother..
Holds her child, watches him die
Hands to the sky cry "WHY OH WHY!"

Cause I need to watch things die...
from a distance.
Vicariously I live while the whole worlds dies.
You all need it too, don't lie.

Why can't we just admit it?
Why can't we just admit it?
We won't give pause until the blood is flowing.
Neither the brave nor bold
Will write as the stories' told.
We won't give pause until the blood is flowing.

I need to watch things die.
From a good safe distance.
Vicariously I live while the whole worlds dies.
You all feel the same so...

Why can't you just admit it.

Blood like rain come down;
Drum on grave and ground.

Part Vampire.
Part Warrior [Voyeur].
Carnivore and Warrior.
Stare at the transmittal.
Sing to the death rattle.

"Lie la la laaa la la la lie"

Credulous at best, your desire to believe in angels in the hearts of men.
Pull your head.
Nod your head please, and give a listen.
Shouldn't have to say it all again.
The universe is hostile, so impersonal.
Devour to survive. So it is, so it's always been.

We all feed on tragedy,
It's like blood to a vampire.

Vicariously I live why the whole world dies.
Much better you than I.