PDA

View Full Version : Self Describing Song?

temporaryUN
04-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Has anyone noticed that the same component (attraction to blood/violence/tragedy) that the song describes is what adds to the listener being drawn to the song itself.

I haven't been able to find anything mentioned like this in the forums, so I started a new thread.

jackfriday
04-17-2006, 05:21 PM
Pass the goddamn butter

Jimmeny
04-17-2006, 05:22 PM
4 over 3 omg.

Brilliant.

dracomordag
04-17-2006, 05:27 PM
^what?

Holydirt
04-17-2006, 07:03 PM
^what?
It's a word technique for describing the rhythm of 4 over 3. Pass the Goddamn Butter.

drastic
04-17-2006, 08:22 PM
That's a cool concept, never thought of it that way. But sure.. as we sing along with the lyrics.. "It's no fun 'til someone dies" etc, we're drawn to the song for the same reasons we're drawn to tragedy itself.

lesfleursdumal
04-17-2006, 08:35 PM
That's a cool concept, never thought of it that way. But sure.. as we sing along with the lyrics.. "It's no fun 'til someone dies" etc, we're drawn to the song for the same reasons we're drawn to tragedy itself.

but i'm not drawn to tragedy, in fact thats the worst part of watching the news these days "if it bleeds, it leads" is the old new reporter jargon...i really hate these lyrics tho, no disrespect for those of you that do, but does anyone feel that the whole "turn off your t.v." thing is a little played out?? very cliche i think...tool (or maynard)is capable of way better lyrics...i dont mind straight forwardness but cmon... first time post...sooo...egh..flame on i guess (i can't believe i just said that)

temporaryUN
04-18-2006, 04:41 AM
but i'm not drawn to tragedy, in fact thats the worst part of watching the news these days "if it bleeds, it leads" is the old new reporter jargon...i really hate these lyrics tho, no disrespect for those of you that do, but does anyone feel that the whole "turn off your t.v." thing is a little played out?? very cliche i think...tool (or maynard)is capable of way better lyrics...i dont mind straight forwardness but cmon... first time post...sooo...egh..flame on i guess (i can't believe i just said that)

I guess you're the only guy who doesn't impulsively want to slow down and look at a wreck. You don't happen to be wearing a frown do you?

blair's man sausage
04-18-2006, 06:11 AM
It's a word technique for describing the rhythm of 4 over 3. Pass the Goddamn Butter.

you've studied your guitar world mag, eh?

kidding, i just remember adam saying that specifically at the end of the 'view

temporaryUN
04-18-2006, 08:22 AM
Pass the goddamn butter

How does 4/3 pertain to vicarious as a self-describing song? I'm not getting the link.

temporaryUN
04-18-2006, 08:30 AM

Yep, I thought it was notable. The stance of the writer of the song is reinforced by this I think.

Descencia
04-18-2006, 08:30 AM
I think the lyrics are somewhat talking about how since 9/11 the news coverage has become so saturated with sensationalising violence that it's beyond critical mass now. The past 5 years it has gotten much worse than 5 years before. The war in Iraq is only reported on in a clinical detached fashion like it's just a process. Sure they talk about "a bombing in iraq killed 20 people." But it's barely criticized. The news is ALL negative and if it's not it's talking about Lara Flynn Boyle's new death mask look.

epinephrine_redux
04-18-2006, 08:52 AM

i honestly don't think that when 'Nard is writing lyrics he thinks to himself, "hmm, this sounds too 'cliche'". this concept of love for tragedy/violence/blood, etc. is not a new concept and neither is most of the subject matter for their songs.

this song is different because it's particular and not as universal as some of their other songs. tool has always written particular songs--you can find one on every album.

K In Yo Mouf
04-18-2006, 08:56 AM
No Tool Song Iz Self-Explanatory...

Juzt Listen to MJK When He Speakz About Lyricz and The Meaningz Behind Hiz Songz...

Descencia
04-18-2006, 09:00 AM

Juzt Listen to MJK When He Speakz About Lyricz and The Meaningz Behind Hiz Songz...

Is your 's' key broken dawg?

epinephrine_redux
04-18-2006, 09:06 AM
"hush"

I can't zay what I want to,
even if I'm not zeriouz.
Thingz like....
"Fuck yourzelf,
kill yourzelf,
you piece of zhit."

People tell me what to zay,
what to think ,
and what to play.

I zay...
"Go fuck yourzelf,
you piece of zhit.
Why don't you go kill yourzelf?"

Just kidding.

i even translated it for you.

epinephrine_redux
04-18-2006, 09:24 AM
think i scared him off?

temporaryUN
04-18-2006, 11:58 AM

Self Describing does not mean self-explanatory. I am not talking about the "Meaningz Behind Hiz Songz" for christ's sake. Did you even read the first post of this thread?

temporaryUN
04-18-2006, 12:02 PM

This is a thread about one particular aspect of the song, not a general discussion of meaning. The above quote is a good example, as it is *relevant*. Of course, off topic happens all the time, but the above quote is so far the only on topic comment. Sweet.

lesfleursdumal
04-18-2006, 03:14 PM
I guess you're the only guy who doesn't impulsively want to slow down and look at a wreck. You don't happen to be wearing a frown do you?

well yea, slowing down and looking a dead bodies in a mangled car makes my day...i understand what your getting at and still think it's been done before and a cliche subject. nothing new is being said...."sholdnt have to say it again, and again, anda again...."

K In Yo Mouf
04-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Self Describing does not mean self-explanatory. I am not talking about the "Meaningz Behind Hiz Songz" for christ's sake. Did you even read the first post of this thread?

No, I Understand Wat ur Sayin An I Waz Juzt Addin On to Wat Some Other People Were Saying...

I Read the First Post, And I Agree, I Waz Juzt Tryin 2 Add On...

temporaryUN
04-19-2006, 04:44 AM
No, I Understand Wat ur Sayin An I Waz Juzt Addin On to Wat Some Other People Were Saying...

I Read the First Post, And I Agree, I Waz Juzt Tryin 2 Add On...

ah so

temporaryUN
04-19-2006, 04:53 AM
well yea, slowing down and looking a dead bodies in a mangled car makes my day...i understand what your getting at and still think it's been done before and a cliche subject. nothing new is being said...."sholdnt have to say it again, and again, anda again...."

A mangled car's effect on "making your day" has nothing to do with your evolved impulse to be attracted to the situation. I think they have a bit too negative of a slant on the whole thing, but hey - that's their style and they're welcome to it.

Also, as in your statement as well as others', I have noticed that people seem to misunderstand the "say it again" line. It is pertaining to the reiteration of the writer's view on the evolutionary hostility of survival. He is *not* saying that he is repeating this particular aspect of it within the song. In other words, he is talking about the need for repeating the underlying reason for the phenomenon described in the song, not repeating the phenomenon itself.