PDA

View Full Version : What color do you see?

Neondestruction
04-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Tool has said that sometimes they visualize colors when creating a song. I as well see colors in my head when listening to Tool's music. So I was wondering what color do you see when you listen to Vicarious?

For some reason I see mostly purple and some black.

Kedzie_Matthews
04-16-2006, 08:47 PM
burnt cyan

e. blue cum
04-16-2006, 08:50 PM
with Vicarious I see blue much like the "Previous Thread | Next Thread" clickees... not a lot but especially during the "angels in the hearts of men.." part..

does anyone else always think of green when they hear The Patient?

epinephrine_redux
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
white

stardown
04-16-2006, 08:51 PM
Violet

Neondestruction
04-16-2006, 08:52 PM
The Patient has always been white for me...pure white. But I remember for Tool The Patient was "Red" and that is what they almost called it if I remember correctly.

maneva
04-16-2006, 08:52 PM

sure do. i also see green when i hear vicarious.

SpiralOutKeepGoing
04-16-2006, 08:53 PM
Black then white are all I see.
Red and yellow then came to be.

NoD
04-16-2006, 08:54 PM
I just get pure black with Vicarious. Not really black even, more like emptiness...

FistFck
04-16-2006, 08:57 PM
i see the bluish gray from the album cover (when i listen to vicarious)... i see green for forty six and two, grey for stinkfist, white for parabola, red for schism

a big stupid dumbass
04-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Synesthesia is a very peculiar experience. A digression from the topic of this thread and then I'll answer it.

I had the opportunity to take some Psylocibin (mushrooms) about 3 years ago and I ingested about 4 grams, which was a bit much for my first trip. After the onslaught of experiential mystery had subsided, I had the distinct pleasure of a synesthesic experience. My friend and I had made a fire outside, and for some reason I picked a leaf off of a tree and had put it in my pocket. As I reached in my pocket to grab the leaf, I was looking at the bonfire, and as I touched the leaf, my brain confused the sensory input and sent a signal to my fingers that they were touching the fire. It was extremely real to my brain, I thought I had burnt the shit out of my hand. But it was just the magic of the mushrooms. I've just studied this concept in "PSYSC 412 Sensation and Perception" and besides the anecdotal aspect of it being mainly a side effect of hallucinogens, it really is a growing scientific topic.

That being said, and I realize I shouldn't have put that in this sub-forum, I taste green when I smell the song vicarious :)

dvnt
04-16-2006, 09:08 PM
From the first time I've listened to it I've seen yellow and orange, energetic/adrenaline-esque colors. I've listened to it a few times since then, and I don't see how darker tones (black, gray, purple, blue) fit this song, which to me sounds like a bunch of pent-up energy steadily being released... different strokes for different folks I guess.

Hi, by the way.

praefector
04-16-2006, 09:09 PM
in the beginning it starts as a soft grey

the end is a deep red

Chris_Brightwell
04-16-2006, 09:11 PM
For some reason I see mostly purple and some black.That's because your eyelids are blocking the light.

APT
04-16-2006, 09:12 PM
Black and like a dark purpleish-blue.

intoaneye
04-16-2006, 09:22 PM
definately yellow for many reasons. One being you know how your asleep and a bright light is on your face its like yellow when your eyes is closed. Well more then likely you will wake up. Wake up from this nightmare if you can the TV. Brilliance! with the music.

chonus
04-16-2006, 09:25 PM
puce

SadSummerSea
04-16-2006, 09:27 PM
I see the colour of organs. clotted reds and violet sheer blue.

a788
04-16-2006, 09:31 PM
it varied. it started with black transformed to red kind of how SadSummerSea described it... and then to violet and dark purple/maroonish

FortySix&Two
04-16-2006, 09:33 PM
A darkish purple, I suppose.

Colonel Pants
04-16-2006, 09:34 PM
For the intro I 'see' reds/oranges/yellows
For the rest I see dark green and black. This is mostly because of the notes he's actually playing. I associate numbers with colours, for example the number 3 and green. So when I know Adam's playing at the 3rd or 13th fret, I get green. For me, 2 usually means blue and 4 is red, those are the numbers that I most strongly associate with colours.

babbletonic
04-16-2006, 09:42 PM
I just see fuzzy wuzzy brown throughout
Which is cool, cuz it's coincidentally my favorite crayon as well

BlueSecondSun
04-16-2006, 09:45 PM
with Vicarious I see blue much like the "Previous Thread | Next Thread" clickees... not a lot but especially during the "angels in the hearts of men.." part..

YES!!!!!

waffel
04-16-2006, 10:01 PM
stuff

CrazyJoeDevola
04-16-2006, 10:17 PM
I've only heard a brief second or two of it because of the new toolband page (I'm avoiding it til the album drops) but the first notes I heard (which were reminiscent of "Schism") were orange and black. The two colors coincided together because I'm pretty sure I heard a harmony between the guitar and bass and the overlaping of the color's structures compenated for that. My synesthesia includes spacial positioning, shape and texture. The notes took place in a field of black, were in semi-straight, semi narrow, yet angular (as the rythm changed) lines and were smooth...and overlapped as I stated before. The orange was atop the black line which was a slightly lighter shade of black than the background. Can you picture it yet?

I'm still pissed that I've even heard that much. I want to go in the new album completely fresh. No first hand experience before the big listen

reign3
04-16-2006, 10:28 PM
I see different shades of red, yellow, orange and the like. For most of Lateralus, I saw dark shades of purple, blue and black. Aenima for me was green and red mostly. Undertow was mostly red and orange for me, which maybe explains why I see so many similarities between Vicarious and the overall sound of Undertow. Synesthesia is interesting indeed.

martyr_02
04-16-2006, 10:31 PM
I kinda picture a beautiful sunrise in the intro, anywhere you like, just that it is the most beautiful scene you've ever laid eyes on, then when the song really kicks in I picture a nuclear bomb going of destroying everything. Then the rest of the song is just filled with war images. Then at the end Adam is standing tall with his les paul above his head with Camella clutching on to his leg.

....yeah

SadSummerSea
04-16-2006, 10:38 PM
it varied. it started with black transformed to red kind of how SadSummerSea described it... and then to violet and dark purple/maroonish

we're like brothers, man.

s ti N Kfizt
04-16-2006, 11:43 PM
i didn't listen Vicarious much yet, but i remember i felt it like this

some yellow/black > black > dark blue/black > dark red/black > dark violet/black... etc. hehehehe.

listerine kills
04-16-2006, 11:49 PM
Err..red?

undeniable dilemma
04-16-2006, 11:53 PM
The Patient has always been white for me...pure white. But I remember for Tool The Patient was "Red" and that is what they almost called it if I remember correctly.
You are correct. Adam said that in an interview for the magazine Guitar One. I see blood red when I hear this song.

Madrid
04-17-2006, 12:54 AM
Tool is always gray, black and white for me. Not sure why.

Carbonatedgravy
04-17-2006, 01:20 AM

Yes. Very, very white.

Vicarious to me is a green, but it's a very dark chromy green.

Shit, this is fun!

Grudge = Brown

Eon Blue Apocalypse = .....Well, Blue

The Patient = White

Mantra = Green

Schism = Aqua

Parabol = Violet

Parabola = Blue

Ticks and Leeches = Green

Lateralus = Pink/Orange

Disposition = Green/Yellow, but I also very distinctly see a forest during autumn when I hear this song.

Reflection = Light Blue

Triad = Bluish Green

Fiaap = TV Static

ktrip
04-17-2006, 01:53 AM
im red/green colour blind...
but i see like a darkish red, almost maroon, but... yeah fuck it, organ red sounds good to me.

influenced
04-17-2006, 05:09 AM
[QUOTE=FistFck]i see the bluish gray from the album cover (when i listen to vicarious)...

Me too

flawlessme
04-17-2006, 05:28 AM
Vicarious is mostly white, but there are some dark patches.
Ticks and leeches was green. Grudge was brownish red. Pushit was violet. Lateralus was yellowish. Reflection was black. Ænema was white and blue.

dracomordag
04-17-2006, 05:33 AM
Black then white are all I see.
Red and yellow then came to be.
beat me to it

Semp
04-17-2006, 05:47 AM
Orange and black. Possibly recalling the eMotive cover, much as I hat to say it. Different instruments tend to have different colours for me tho, so I guess it depends what you focus on.

Neondestruction
04-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Yes. Very, very white.

Vicarious to me is a green, but it's a very dark chromy green.

Shit, this is fun!

Grudge = Brown

Eon Blue Apocalypse = .....Well, Blue

The Patient = White

Mantra = Green

Schism = Aqua

Parabol = Violet

Parabola = Blue

Ticks and Leeches = Green

Lateralus = Pink/Orange

Disposition = Green/Yellow, but I also very distinctly see a forest during autumn when I hear this song.

Reflection = Light Blue

Triad = Bluish Green

Fiaap = TV Static

I agree with every one of those except for Disposition, which I see bluish gray. Oh an the Grudge is Yellow and black.

Eon Black Apocalypse
04-17-2006, 07:01 AM
black then white are all i see

edit: seriously, vicarious to me is a greyish/silver

Mongeese
04-17-2006, 07:22 AM
I don't see colours, but I see images, locations, places and people.

For instance, when I listen to Eulogy, I see Maynard standing above a crucifix with a skeleton nailed to it. Maynard is dressed in a suit and it is on the top of a hill, there are people standing down the hill, dressed in robes and Maynard is adressing them with a Megaphone.

For Vicarious, though, I see people deforming, their body's changing completely, their clothes turning into camo uniforms, and I see people's faces change to be scarred and bruised. And then I see them sitting in a chair, a TV with static and a window with the fallout from a Nuclear war taking place.

I don't see just colours, I see whole situations that work for my ideas of what the song means, and these change a lot as my perceptions change.
For instance, The Grudge, I always saw a king with a crown of thorns performing a Knighthood ceremony or whatever its called on a tramp, and that steadily changed to switch around completely, so the Hobo was king and the king was being knighted.

woonyunkim
04-17-2006, 08:56 AM
Vicarious - Black/Grey
Whole Lateralus - Red/Purple
Aenima - Green/Black
Undertow - Red/Black

:( i am so unimaginative.

intoaneye
04-17-2006, 09:07 AM

For instance, when I listen to Eulogy, I see Maynard standing above a crucifix with a skeleton nailed to it. Maynard is dressed in a suit and it is on the top of a hill, there are people standing down the hill, dressed in robes and Maynard is adressing them with a Megaphone.

For Vicarious, though, I see people deforming, their body's changing completely, their clothes turning into camo uniforms, and I see people's faces change to be scarred and bruised. And then I see them sitting in a chair, a TV with static and a window with the fallout from a Nuclear war taking place.

I don't see just colours, I see whole situations that work for my ideas of what the song means, and these change a lot as my perceptions change.
For instance, The Grudge, I always saw a king with a crown of thorns performing a Knighthood ceremony or whatever its called on a tramp, and that steadily changed to switch around completely, so the Hobo was king and the king was being knighted.
just colors man just colors. We all see events and the such

mike09
04-17-2006, 09:09 AM
When I listen to "Vicarious", I see red and orange, like a sunset almost.

Nietzsche's Dead
04-17-2006, 09:12 AM
Tool has said that sometimes they visualize colors when creating a song. I as well see colors in my head when listening to Tool's music. So I was wondering what color do you see when you listen to Vicarious?

exactly what i was going to say. a deep purple, nd black. maybe some gray in the sky..

Sea of Lies
04-17-2006, 09:38 AM
it's like im seeing the video from perfect enemy or vacant whatever it was called on the cd

Reflection
04-17-2006, 10:09 AM

I do, with traces of yellow
And for "Vicarious", white with blue in different intensities

champion
04-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Green and white.

The Village Too
04-17-2006, 11:29 AM
yellow
yes

chalk_line
04-17-2006, 12:52 PM
listening to the song the first time i saw pink

m4yn4rd
04-17-2006, 01:10 PM
grey/blue/silver

acsguitar
04-17-2006, 01:47 PM
Lucky Charms

Synergy
04-17-2006, 02:39 PM
Vicarious - white
The Patient - black
Disposition - white/yellow/orange

Oakshield
04-17-2006, 03:43 PM
purple greenish something like that

ViVisekt6
04-17-2006, 03:59 PM
Platinum.

justify_denials
04-17-2006, 04:22 PM

I see vibrant bright type colors behind dark colors............

Mescaline
04-17-2006, 05:50 PM
EVERY COLOUR. everywhere/ everynow.

layersbeyondimagination
04-17-2006, 06:39 PM
Vicarious is mostly white, but there are some dark patches.
Ticks and leeches was green. Grudge was brownish red. Pushit was violet. Lateralus was yellowish. Reflection was black. Ænema was white and blue.

i looked at this post and i realized i didnt post this. then i realized you stole my avatar. not acceptable...

anyways, i think with every tool song i see black or some dark color naturally just cuase its drop D and dark music in general. with this song i see burgandy or a dark red sorta like teh color of the headers on this message board.

AmishRefugee
04-17-2006, 06:44 PM
I agree with every one of those except for Disposition, which I see bluish gray. Oh an the Grudge is Yellow and black.

and i agree with you

disposition always reminded me of rain

Vicarious changes for me, like reddish then to green after the intro to black in the lala part to yellow at the end

jeds375
04-17-2006, 07:07 PM
All black except the color of sunlight comming through my eyelids warping the black into something else..........except i am in a dark room with no light comming through the windows...

LP|Stang
04-17-2006, 07:32 PM
URINE COLOR LOL

Sagacious Foetu
04-17-2006, 07:34 PM
I just get pure black with Vicarious. Not really black even, more like emptiness...^

trickma
04-18-2006, 02:44 AM
Violet

absolutely

Semp
04-18-2006, 05:03 AM

does anybody else kinda picture maynard dressed up as an admiral, standing at the wheel of like, a galleon, steering through rough seas and violent weather when listening to Vicarious? If not, ye ought te try it, y'argh

plexus
04-18-2006, 11:28 AM
pthalo blue