PDA

View Full Version : Dannys new electric drums in vicarious

renegadesoulx
04-16-2006, 05:01 PM
First post, but i was wondering if anyone else noticed the jack hammer sound that links the intro to the main riff. If i remember correctly Danny is using a new kind of electronic drum that can be triggered without hitting them. Its kinda neat and i can only imagine what else is on the record in terms of electronics. I also reallllly like the chime usage,people seem to say this song is a regression from previous albums but, Danny's chimes make the drums a melodic instrument as well as a rythmic one making Dannys role even more important to song structre. I'd love to hear everyone elses ideas on the sounds in Vicarious or what could be.

Kalamazoo
04-16-2006, 05:05 PM
If i remember correctly Danny is using a new kind of electronic drum that can be triggered without hitting them.

then how do you trigger it, sucka

Descencia
04-16-2006, 05:06 PM
First post, but i was wondering if anyone else noticed the jack hammer sound that links the intro to the main riff. If i remember correctly Danny is using a new kind of electronic drum that can be triggered without hitting them. Its kinda neat and i can only imagine what else is on the record in terms of electronics. I also reallllly like the chime usage,people seem to say this song is a regression from previous albums but, Danny's chimes make the drums a melodic instrument as well as a rythmic one making Dannys role even more important to song structre. I'd love to hear everyone elses ideas on the sounds in Vicarious or what could be.

Yeah the more you listen to the song you notice a lot of things that hint at the potential differences in sound that will be on the rest of the album. Danny is using triggers in the song but it blends so well with the manual drumming that it sounds very original when you really listen closely. I have never heard drumming quite like that before.

ALIvingGrudge
04-16-2006, 05:07 PM
then how do you trigger it, sucka
with pedals...

renegadesoulx
04-16-2006, 05:09 PM
you can trigger it by running your hand over it. it has sensors, like lasers kinda, that can detect if something moves over it. Go here: http://synesthesiacorp.com/home.html

spiralout11235
04-16-2006, 05:10 PM
I really dig his drumming in Vicarious. It's much more intense than before.

MentalSanityOff
04-16-2006, 05:12 PM
^yeah, he's usually not quite so busy. Its a fun listen, though

http://www.synesthesiacorp.com/home.html (endorsees)

the mandala pad has replaced his simmons pads, i believe

renegadesoulx
04-16-2006, 05:15 PM
yea, those things are sooo cool, if he does drum solos this year....they are going to be even more rediculous because he wont have to hit those pads to make noises....insane.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-16-2006, 05:18 PM
The jackhammer sound at the beginning reminds me of an alarm clock going off. Like the beginning of the song is saying "Hey! Time to wake up!"

pretty damn sure that is what's meant - couldn't have put it better myself. I love when they embed the ideas in the music... not many bands do it so damn well.

seemyshadowchanging
04-19-2006, 05:57 AM
i thought i read somewhere that he was still using the gold set from the lateralus tour.i think i read that yesterday as a matter of fact.

mikeisilluminati
04-19-2006, 06:23 PM
Im a drummer, and my oppinion is that is either a A) a studio trick with his dry ride (bell) or that is simply a sample. A question that I cannot answer is, is that a real or synthetic tabla .

s62
04-19-2006, 06:27 PM
Dunno about the tabla, but I'd bet it's real, as he's taken extensive tabla lessons, and tabla players simply have more respect for their drum than to play a pad to emulate it. The real thing always sounds better.

As far as the alarm clock sound, I'm certain it's a sample, not a ride bell, lol. Those mandala pads look fucking sweet.
And he does still use the "gold" drum set (it's shells actually contain some of the paiste cymbal bronze used in their cymbals). It's a very personal set for him, and is designed for him. He won't be letting that go anytime soon.

ID-entity
04-20-2006, 10:48 AM
Ive always loved Danny's use of electric drums and this song is a great example. I remember him saying that he didnt understand why people try to make electric drums pads sound like real drums. That what real drums are for. He uses them to make sounds that drums could naturally never make. In respects to Vicarious, The chimes and rapid fast alarm sound really get the song to take off. Man, DC kicks ass...but we all know that.

keenonkeenan
04-20-2006, 11:27 AM
Ive always loved Danny's use of electric drums and this song is a great example. I remember him saying that he didnt understand why people try to make electric drums pads sound like real drums. That what real drums are for. He uses them to make sounds that drums could naturally never make. In respects to Vicarious, The chimes and rapid fast alarm sound really get the song to take off. Man, DC kicks ass...but we all know that.

AJ mentioned eggbeaters... if that sound isn't eggbeaters I really wanna know where on the album they are put to use.... sure sounds like eggbeaters... does no one remember the eggbeaters... COME ON!

ID-entity
04-20-2006, 11:33 AM
It very well could be eggbeaters. How sweet would it be to see DC break out eggbeaters in concert. I think it would be a first. Still though, kinda sounds electronic to me.

keenonkeenan
04-20-2006, 11:39 AM
Uhm... electronic eggbeaters maybe?

ID-entity
04-20-2006, 11:49 AM
Uhm... electronic eggbeaters maybe?
Lol! You never know with Danny.

keenonkeenan
04-20-2006, 11:54 AM
I think Danny's new electric drums appear in Intension rather than Vicarious... you just wait for Danny pulling out his jumbo sized eggbeaters and goin' nuts on stage...

henri_ds
04-21-2006, 12:45 AM
you can trigger it by running your hand over it. it has sensors, like lasers kinda, that can detect if something moves over it. Go here: http://synesthesiacorp.com/home.html

Danny now using d beam controllers ? any official source for that ? I think he's only playing the Mandala pads (which DONT have D beams btw for those who believed)

tewlarmyof1
04-21-2006, 01:12 PM

I basically said the exect same thing in another thread that was comparing vicarious to the grudge as a first song on an album. I definitely agree completely with you, and this is coming from a drummer who worships Danny as his God.

:)