PDA

View Full Version : Schadenfreude

junkie
04-16-2006, 08:14 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Upon hearing the (fantastic) new single from the band, this phrase immediately popped into my head. I don't mean to sound patronising if you were already familiar with the term, but i thought it might help a few people to become more comfortable with the themes and ideas within the song. After all, as the article itself states, Schadenfreude is usually believed to not have a direct English equivalent.

My apologies if this doesn't interest anyone, i am new to this =].

tangent
04-16-2006, 08:19 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

Upon hearing the (fantastic) new single from the band, this phrase immediately popped into my head. I don't mean to sound patronising if you were already familiar with the term, but i thought it might help a few people to become more comfortable with the themes and ideas within the song. After all, as the article itself states, Schadenfreude is usually believed to not have a direct English equivalent.

My apologies if this doesn't interest anyone, i am new to this =].

That is class. It interests me anyway... Thanks! :)

britishempire
04-16-2006, 08:21 AM
Yes, Schadenfreude is one aspect of the song. But I think the word "Vicarious" kinda sums it up better : P

orange.juice
04-16-2006, 08:26 AM
lol you guys don't have a word for Schadenfreude?

Rosette feasted
04-16-2006, 08:39 AM
They don't have a word for kindergarten and poltergeist either. (was that correct english?)

junkie
04-16-2006, 08:44 AM
They don't have a word for kindergarten and poltergeist either. (was that correct english?)

Yes it was. Man, it seems we're not very articulate.

tangent
04-16-2006, 08:44 AM
"acting on behalf of or as representing another"

HMM

DirtyBanana
04-16-2006, 08:52 AM
lol you guys don't have a word for Schadenfreude?

lol

jitbox
04-16-2006, 08:54 AM
We also don't have a word for zeitgeist, sprachraum, or Nazi.

britishempire
04-16-2006, 08:58 AM
schadenfreude = epicaricacy

varg

Smörgåsbord

Rosette feasted
or Leitmotiv and Doppleganger! and dog-breeders are talking german all the time!

Andorion
04-16-2006, 09:11 AM

Those two words are so commonly used, they're pretty much adopted by now - people recognize the German origin, but would say "we just have the same word for it."

Æmitis
04-16-2006, 11:09 AM
This is a German cultural concept, it's normal for other languages to be unable to portrait it exactly as its origin language. Since language is mainly a social element, even if there's a literal equivalent in English or any other language, it won't mean the same. It's like Saudade in portuguese, which means "missing something/someone/someplace", but has so much more behind it.

And I also agree that Vicarious has some sense of Shadenfreude in it, although mixed with the need of evasion of the mass-cultural behaviour.