PDA

View Full Version : When in doubt, look to the wise words of Kabir...

praefector
04-15-2006, 10:18 PM
as annoying as all the new threads either lauding vicarious as the best song of the year or condemning it as a monumental step backwards, i went back and read our good friend Kabir's review.

i found this snippet to be entirely appropriate:

(about half-way through the album)

"To this point, I had noticed many little sprinkles from previous albums, callbacks to other themes and other progressions, perhaps tying these new tracks sonically and thematically to their older siblings. I continued to notice them throughout the record. Allusions to various songs kept appearing, though I rapidly lost track of where they all were. It will be fun to go through again and hear them, before you stop thinking of them as allusions to old songs and start thinking of them as parts of new ones. "

the point?... our reactions, good or bad....our comparisons, just or unjust are extremely premature. we dont even have the entire album yet and some have already decided tool are losing their edge...that maynard is "too old" and "losing his tool voice" and a whole other helping of horseshit...

and we all wonder why the band is so reluctant to release information and music to us as soon as we want it.

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 10:22 PM
as a producer of Drum n bass, dub, and breakbeats... I can personally tell you, sampling old breaks, etc work like a charm.

Myriad: Days To Come
04-15-2006, 10:23 PM
is there a chance you could PM the Kabir review? That would help alot. As far as youre post goes. I entirely agree with you. People who rant on how Nard is losing his Symbiotically dark voice have no ground to stand on when judging what they (tool) is going to throw at us with the album (in it's entirety).

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 10:23 PM
yes yes... where is the entire review?

Spongebob
04-15-2006, 10:36 PM
still haven't read the review.

Siel Yardman
04-16-2006, 12:33 AM
as annoying as all the new threads either lauding vicarious as the best song of the year or condemning it as a monumental step backwards, i went back and read our good friend Kabir's review.

i found this snippet to be entirely appropriate:

(about half-way through the album)

"To this point, I had noticed many little sprinkles from previous albums, callbacks to other themes and other progressions, perhaps tying these new tracks sonically and thematically to their older siblings. I continued to notice them throughout the record. Allusions to various songs kept appearing, though I rapidly lost track of where they all were. It will be fun to go through again and hear them, before you stop thinking of them as allusions to old songs and start thinking of them as parts of new ones. "

the point?... our reactions, good or bad....our comparisons, just or unjust are extremely premature. we dont even have the entire album yet and some have already decided tool are losing their edge...that maynard is "too old" and "losing his tool voice" and a whole other helping of horseshit...

and we all wonder why the band is so reluctant to release information and music to us as soon as we want it.

jesus would be proud of you my son.

chalk_line
04-16-2006, 12:36 AM
am i the only one who doesn't want to read the reviews , i feel it will spoil the intense feeling i will have in hearing the new album unbiased and fresh

Siel Yardman
04-16-2006, 12:41 AM
am i the only one who doesn't want to read the reviews , i feel it will spoil the intense feeling i will have in hearing the new album unbiased and fresh

honestly, if you havent learned in life yet...reviews [ read or not] will not change your opinion of the final outcome.

that is unless you are sheepish.

chalk_line
04-16-2006, 12:50 AM
i wouldn't let the reviews sway my opinion ,i just dont want to know the end of the movie before i watch it, maybe thats why i hated the passion so much..

auralassassin
04-16-2006, 12:56 AM
I still want to read a good review. I liked this song... but you never know, I have the ability to shift perspective and see things from another point of view, and still maintain my own... but sometimes it changes it.

Looque
04-16-2006, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing what Kabir had to say about the album, either. If anyone can PM me a link, that'd be great.

Siel Yardman
04-16-2006, 01:04 AM
i wouldn't let the reviews sway my opinion ,i just dont want to know the end of the movie before i watch it, maybe thats why i hated the passion so much..

well, if you didnt know how that one turned out already i dont know where you've been. even the non-religious knew how that worked out.

chalk_line
04-16-2006, 01:09 AM
well, if you didnt know how that one turned out already i dont know where you've been. even the non-religious knew how that worked out.
do you really think i didnt know how it turned out, what i am stating is that i dont want to read reviews because i dont want it to spoil what i've been waiting for for years, you can read wahtever you want i could care less..im just stating my opinion. is that so hard to understand? get off my back jerkoff

praefector
04-17-2006, 09:14 AM
days later

this still applies