PDA

View Full Version : harmonics

lexiconoclast
04-15-2006, 10:10 PM
ive read some things here about m's voice being different, bad, or good on vicarious.. and it got me thinking about what has always attracted me and hooked me in the first place. the harmony he regularly chooses to generate with the music typically invokes something nostalgic in me. they make me almost remember something from the 70's either music i heard as a kid, or something perhaps that i dreamt... so in this song as well,
the harmonics on the lines

shot by his own son

and

stare like a zombie

actually fuck something up in me physically that i cant even articulate effectively.

this is why i love tool, and why anyone on these threads motherfucking the new style are to me simply motherfuckering the old style that got them on here in the first place

Scrunzset
04-15-2006, 10:29 PM
stare like a zombie

As I've stated on the "La la la" post..... "Zombie" by the Cranberries. Hehehehe.

Scrunzset
04-15-2006, 10:35 PM
But naw, dude.... I completely agree with what you say about hearing it somehow before... and I also share the inability to articulate most of the time, lol. Ever since '97 when Aenima came out and I was hypnotically lured by Maynard's vocals while surfing thru MTV one late night (ironically, the distorted lyrics in that song is what attracted me), then had my actual first listen of Tool (along with my first tab of acid) and I've been hooked ever since with feelings of "this music tells me things about myself that I didn't even know".

Oh yeah, and somehow I know "Disposition" is going to play during/after I die. Don't ask me how, I just know.

hateAliases
04-15-2006, 11:51 PM
I love the harmonics on these lines... somehow. well when i heard the song first it was one of the things that i kinda liked. I dont remember music from the 70's, im only 21 years on this planet.

ehheheheheheh
Later on on the album, you'll hear the token angry Tool song
Along with a track with a one-note riff,but it's got a lot of time-chang-es

Pardon me while I foc-us my chi... on my gi-ant, pi-le of mon-ey
while my whores are do-ing some ec-sta-cy

oh god I SOOO LOVE IT!

cadav
04-16-2006, 03:01 AM
I don't really notice any harmonics on those parts, but the riff reminds me of "H".

RED_THE_HAT
04-16-2006, 05:03 AM
Umm

Harmonics do not equal harmonies.. They are two COMPLETELY different things. Now go back to preschool.

A harmony is when two notes that are different are sung together, giving a different sound to the melody. Usually a 1st and a 3rd, or a 1st and a 5th, even if the melody is based on the 1st, yet nothin is being sung in the 1st, a 3rd and 5th can be sing in unison creating yet again a different sound. This can induce a minor, or major, mixolydian, (etc) kind of sound. Forgive my spelling on anything in this section.

A harmonic is when a note is struck that causes a seperate, and much higher note to ring out, (in the case of a guitar) either on the same string, on a different string, or within the body of the guitar. With distortion effects, this usually means a high pitched wail, and with an accoustic guitar, this usually means a nice calm ring. With a drum kit, this usually means a nasty ring within the tom or snare that rings out after the initial tap.

I hope you all understand now. :)

kabir
04-16-2006, 07:10 AM
wow. some of you guys are really angry.

anyway, i agree with the 1st post here. the harmony on "shot by his own son" does affect me physically also.

svet-am
04-16-2006, 09:07 AM
A harmony is when two notes that are different are sung together, giving a different sound to the melody. Usually a 1st and a 3rd, or a 1st and a 5th, even if the melody is based on the 1st, yet nothin is being sung in the 1st, a 3rd and 5th can be sing in unison creating yet again a different sound. This can induce a minor, or major, mixolydian, (etc) kind of sound. Forgive my spelling on anything in this section.

A harmonic is when a note is struck that causes a seperate, and much higher note to ring out, (in the case of a guitar) either on the same string, on a different string, or within the body of the guitar. With distortion effects, this usually means a high pitched wail, and with an accoustic guitar, this usually means a nice calm ring. With a drum kit, this usually means a nasty ring within the tom or snare that rings out after the initial tap.

I hope you all understand now. :)

in music terms, that is what a harmonic is. if you want to get down the science, math, and engineering of it, check out this link:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LaplacesEquation.html

hereandthere
04-16-2006, 09:44 AM
I agree, that same harmony struck me too the first time i heard it. I think it has a lot to do with how they fade the backing vocal in while the guitar feedback fades in...really brings up the dynamic in a sudden way....really creative way to use the background vocals. If you listen you can hear them fade in across the phrase "shot by his own son"

oh, and I'm Dan

peace
dan

kyyuulle
04-16-2006, 09:48 AM
the harmonies of this song remind me of the "HOLY" part in Parabola

most awesome

rochey-o
04-16-2006, 09:49 AM
i know what you mean

the climax of stinkfist, where he sounds just crazy epic like all the old 70s rockstars will always be my favorite part of any tool song, just the way his voice works

the chorus of vicarious is similar but on a lesser scale

Systolic
04-16-2006, 10:01 AM
Sorry - not trying to be rude. I dont like it when people make statements and they dont know what they are talking about. ESPECIALLY pertaining to music.

junkie
04-16-2006, 10:10 AM
shot by his own son

and

stare like a zombie

Perhaps it's the effective use of alliteration that gets you? Just an idea.

junkie
04-16-2006, 06:27 PM
This is an interesting thread. Don't let it die =].

intoaneye
04-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Yellow is the color i think of when hear this song. And it brings me back to my childhood at a point in time.

svet-am
04-16-2006, 07:45 PM
Yellow is the color i think of when hear this song. And it brings me back to my childhood at a point in time.

i know that's a totally off-the-wall comment, but it makes me think of yellow, too -- a mustard-like yellow almost like a clay or cake batter. i don't know why, but I see that color in my head when I hear the song.

macfreak
04-16-2006, 07:49 PM
great song, i love tool and all of its members but maynard is the most important element (u know it even if u dont like it) and im really worried about ¨vocals being turned down¨ ...

Clutch it like an AEnima
04-16-2006, 07:59 PM
wow. some of you guys are really angry.

anyway, i agree with the 1st post here. the harmony on "shot by his own son" does affect me physically also.
thank you ive been saying this for days

epinephrine_redux
04-16-2006, 08:08 PM
the harmonies on those lines are awesome, but what gets me most is:

Devour to survive; so it is, so it's always beennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn...

Sends chills up my spine every time. Incredible.

NetEther
04-16-2006, 08:24 PM
"It's no fun until someone DIES."

DIES is sung in a super low octave and it sounds incredible.

I like the "....always beeeeennnn...." line too. =]

RED_THE_HAT
04-16-2006, 10:02 PM
in music terms, that is what a harmonic is. if you want to get down the science, math, and engineering of it, check out this link:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LaplacesEquation.html

I know the science of it, I just aint a scientist, therefor, I can not express what it is without making myself look stupid.