PDA

View Full Version : Vicarious sounds better when...

gl0tch
04-15-2006, 05:18 PM
...its played through shittier speakers! I find myself overly critical and drowned out in bass when I listen through my good headphones, but just playing it through the computer's speakers, the vocals seem more crisp (prob. because the increased treble in the speakers). That being said, the instrumentation on the headphones just kills!!!

Anyways, with it playing in the background secondary to my attention, I find myself REALLY enjoying this song without noticing it at first.

Not the best song, def. not their worst. A well calculated single I imagine. As I said elsewhere its the single AND the first song on the CD. Maybe they got the "obligatory" stuff out of the way early. I seriously dont think it could get "worse" after this (not that this is bad at all).

STA
04-15-2006, 05:19 PM
I've found that it just needs to be played really, really loud.

zee deveel 17
04-15-2006, 05:20 PM
i find you enjoy vicarious better if you have a good taste in music

pensar
04-15-2006, 05:21 PM
I find it sounds better when you try and drown out the vocals actually...or just maynard all together.

Lost Keys
04-15-2006, 05:22 PM
i find you enjoy vicarious better if you have a good taste in music

aka smoking alot of teh pot

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 05:28 PM
aka smoking alot of teh pot

whatever works.

I like this song, and I'm listening on my studio monitors.. hardly shit speakers.

waffel
04-15-2006, 05:28 PM
Really loud or background imo.

Really loud is good for this song.

jackfriday
04-15-2006, 05:29 PM
...its played through shittier speakers! I find myself overly critical and drowned out in bass when I listen through my good headphones, but just playing it through the computer's speakers, the vocals seem more crisp (prob. because the increased treble in the speakers). That being said, the instrumentation on the headphones just kills!!!

i agree completely.
my comp has two little jbl's w/ no sub while my truck has a 600 watt 8 speaker system.
i can actually hear maynard 3x better on my comp.
although justin and danny beat my ass in my truck.

disaxiom
04-15-2006, 05:49 PM
sounded best in my car at max volume, but the quality isn't good enough, lateralus in my car is out of this world so this song is kind of a letdown... i need the cd to hear exactly what it sounds like

Andorion
04-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Funny you should mention this, I thought the same thing - through my home stereo, the instruments sounded great but I couldn't make out lyrics for shit. I played them on some tiny computer speakers and actually heard what he was saying.

e. blue cum
04-15-2006, 05:52 PM
yeah i told my friend the same.. turn the shit up.. no more meditating :D..

GullyFoyle
04-15-2006, 05:55 PM
does the .wav version sound any better than the mp3? PM please!!!
I'll pay you with gratitude.

gf

scaredashell
04-15-2006, 06:17 PM
The only fault I can find is a little mud around 120-125Hz (pull out about 2db to clean it up). If you give 2 and 4k about 2db of boost, Maynard creeps out a little better and Danny's higher pitched toms really come to life. I am sure the vox a masked to a degree intentionally. IMHO, their finest work to date. Simply stunning.....I am speechless...

Systolic
04-15-2006, 06:34 PM
It seems like Tool mixed Vicarious pretty similar to the way Pain of Salvation does.... Just crank your mids up on your equalizer and the vocals should stand out fine.

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 06:36 PM
It seems like Tool mixed Vicarious pretty similar to the way Pain of Salvation does.... Just crank your mids up on your equalizer and the vocals should stand out fine.

FYI, if you are redlining your EQ's, it is going to sound like shit. Turn it down.

A good portion of the problem with the way this sounds, is that the mixdown is shit... I'll give that one.

Systolic
04-15-2006, 06:39 PM
Well yeah I dont mean redline the mids.. just put them above the others, espeically the lows.

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 08:28 PM
anyone who hates the mixing job on this song needs to get a life

srsly

czar
04-15-2006, 09:14 PM
It sounds delicious with a Denon amplified Klipsch Reference speaker system in 5CH Stereo. Mmm 1,550 Watts... :-P~

xpandnz
04-15-2006, 09:20 PM
I've found that it just needs to be played really, really loud.

yes super loud for better ear penetration

-Jesse
04-15-2006, 09:25 PM
...you've taken copius amounts of Ketamine.

But even without the frugs this song is awesome i dont see the big fuss.... were people expecting Tool to rave on about enlightenment? they said they were over that.