PDA

View Full Version : What surprised you most about Vicarious (good or bad)?

NoD
04-15-2006, 11:59 AM
I'd have to go with how fast the tempo is, it's relentless.

T-13h
04-15-2006, 12:01 PM

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 12:02 PM
i'm gonna beat out all the fuckers and say it first:

"that it sucked. lawl"

alright, in truth, i'd have to say the vocal style. i expected the lowered mixing (which is phenomenal), but that raspy voice just came out of nowhere.

SAGET
04-15-2006, 12:08 PM
I agree with the vocals...they surprised me a lot.

A WalkAbout
04-15-2006, 12:08 PM
The second time maynard says "why can't you just admit it." 3:27-4:00. The beat doesn't really sound Toolish to me. But I still like it. The song rocks.

Nebel
04-15-2006, 12:09 PM
The vocals definitely, I was really surprised. And perhaps the lyrics and the theme of the song. Totally different to what I thought.

ThePatient666
04-15-2006, 12:10 PM
The drumming. It's so chaotic, yet flowing at the same time. Maynard's style kinda caught me off guard as well...

incircles
04-15-2006, 12:35 PM
How stagnant Tool sounds for the first time.

LetTheRabbitsWearGlasses
04-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Nothing.

Hippo
04-15-2006, 12:45 PM
Probably how heavy it is.

zee deveel 17
04-15-2006, 12:47 PM
definitely the vocals... but i'd have to say the lyrics too

materalus
04-15-2006, 12:51 PM
at the three quarter mark when the intro come back around...when they go into the part with the vocal effect i lose it.
this song is mindblowing

praefector
04-15-2006, 12:54 PM
i expected it to be much less straightforward in its message

i am pleasantly surprised by that

thejesus
04-15-2006, 12:54 PM
I was surpised that they chose to set the levels on the vocals so low...I really have to strain to hear what Maynard is saying, and you shouldn't have to do that when listening to a song...you should be able to just sit back and listen...

I know they try to make the vocals just another instument and all but there comes a point where they can be too quiet...

NoD
04-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Another thing that surprises me is how it resembles other tool songs, yet wouldn't really fit in any of the other albums....

If I had to stick Vicarious in another Tool album, I'm not sure where it would best fit? Most likely in Lateralus after Ticks and Leeches most likely...

stardown
04-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I was surpised that they chose to set the levels on the vocals so low...I really have to strain to hear what Maynard is saying, and you shouldn't have to do that when listening to a song...you should be able to just sit back and listen...

I know they try to make the vocals just another instument and all but there comes a point where they can be too quiet...

I agree completely. I've heard some people on here say they like the way the vocals are turned down so that the music is elevated around them, but I don't hear it that way. I struggle with the vocal technique, but I'm getting more and more used to it with each listen.

praefector

maybe youve got a bad quality version because i have no problem whatsoever hearing the vox clearly

i was able to transcribe the lyrics for another website in 3 listens

Xanatos
Well.. here it is.

The most suprising thing for me is the Vocals. Caught me completely off guard.

The second suprising thing is the fact that I really liked it on my first listen, then slowly started to not like it. And I haven't even overplayed it. It went from great to good in less then 24 hours.

thejesus
04-15-2006, 01:01 PM
maybe youve got a bad quality version because i have no problem whatsoever hearing the vox clearly

i was able to transcribe the lyrics for another website in 3 listens

I don't think so

praefector
04-15-2006, 01:02 PM
I don't think so

strange

i just put it back on and im still clearly hearing the vox without any strain at all

they are softer than usual, but i can still hear them

e. blue cum
04-15-2006, 02:22 PM
the rif***e is all very unique in structure but not in style [for tool].. and there are so many more riffs to this song than any other Tool song.. reflection had what, the main riff, the bass/guitar rattlesnake threat riff that followed, and variations of the riff at the end.. the drums are absolutely perfect.. the vocals are great, and the climax absolutely blows me away.. and has, 45 times now.. at least.. the bass was pretty low in the mix, yet it fit so well there and was totally audible.. this is just an intense song..

biggest suprise was probably just that it was so.. perfect.. not afraid to be anything, not aiming to be complicated, just doing what it takes and doing it well.. so straightforward all around.. it's absolutely perfect.. and gets better with every listen.. also suprising is that it's the opener, typically one of the worst tracks on a Tool album..

Systolic
04-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Definitely Adam's Petrucci-age at the end of the song.

That hit me by surprise BIG time.

jitbox
04-15-2006, 02:31 PM
It sounds like "Hot Topic" by Le Tigre.

praefector
04-15-2006, 02:47 PM

and everyone here laughed at me when i asked for adam to pick up shredding on this album

bwahahaha

dekard49
04-15-2006, 02:53 PM
Another thing that surprises me is how it resembles other tool songs, yet wouldn't really fit in any of the other albums....

If I had to stick Vicarious in another Tool album, I'm not sure where it would best fit? Most likely in Lateralus after Ticks and Leeches most likely...

Good observation, +1 :)

CShores
04-15-2006, 02:57 PM
To me, after listening to it 10 times, it started to sound much better. My first impression was that is seemed similar to a mix between 46&2 and Schism- with a faster signature. All in all - you can't miss it is a Tool song- and a pretty damn good one.

eonphi
04-15-2006, 03:21 PM
maynard's vocals...and how "light" it sounds at first if you know what i mean...before it gets going properly...danny's little "ding ding ding ding" lol...does anyone understand what i'm on about?

Lost Keys
04-15-2006, 03:22 PM
the meaning of the song not being as obscure as most tool songs in the past.

that was just fuckin weird.

aggrreeed?

delysid
04-15-2006, 03:26 PM
and everyone here laughed at me when i asked for adam to pick up shredding on this album

bwahahaha

Its not really like that all...its more Tony Iommi than anything. Also, Adam's done the same sort of lick on "Undertow" and "No Quarter," its nothing he hasn't tried before except for that its ridiculously badass.

Idiotica
04-15-2006, 03:28 PM
i just wonder if i'll be skipping this song once i have the whole album in my hands. i'm hoping the rest of the songs have more diversity in the sound and less APC undertones.

Nebel
04-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Course they will. On Aenima and Lateralus, name me one song that sounds alike each other.

SAGET
04-15-2006, 03:32 PM
intermission and jimmy

Metalhos
04-15-2006, 03:34 PM
that it's very catchy AND hellish complex at one time.

headphones. this track is a killer.

Dolophane
04-15-2006, 03:35 PM
The second time maynard says "why can't you just admit it." 3:27-4:00. The beat doesn't really sound Toolish to me. But I still like it. The song rocks.
Same here.

Aside from that, probably Maynard's raspy singing. I was expecting the vocals lower in the mix, but the new style he uses in the song is fun.

Idiotica
04-15-2006, 03:35 PM
this track is 'filler' - radio filler at that.

Graf
04-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Course they will. On Aenima and Lateralus, name me one song that sounds alike each other.

Parabol and Parabola. Pwnt?

Kurt Russell
04-15-2006, 03:37 PM
I was surprised to hear that Danny had his snare on. I wonder if he'll have it on for the whole album.

Jimmeny
What suprised me most was the number of people screaming it sounded so much like Meshuggah.

CallofCthulhu

I LOVE the track, LOVE............but people were hyping it up to be their heaviest work yet, I think Opiate material is heavier than this song.

Orph8998
04-15-2006, 03:38 PM
probably bad maynard sounded....you expect chevelle to sound like maynard...but you dont expect maynard to try and sound like chevelle...
oh and that adam still thinks its cool to jam on that open d

also the thing at the end cought me by suprise...it was cool
but all in all
the song is bad
and its adam's fault
FUCKER!!!

Bogart
04-15-2006, 03:39 PM
How straightforward the lyrics were...

Natalie Portman
04-15-2006, 03:39 PM
I was surprised that it barely sounds like a TOOL. I dig the music, don't dig the vox, but I just don't think it has that TOOL feeling to it. It's quite emotionless, and lacking in dynamics.

Jimmeny
04-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Oh, and it most definately need more cowbell.

Nebel
I LOVE the track, LOVE............but people were hyping it up to be their heaviest work yet, I think Opiate material is heavier than this song.

Nah they weren't, they were hyping it up to be their heaviest since Undertow and to be heavier than Lateralus. Opiate will always be their heaviest work.

njm
It is dark and brooding, which to me is different from lateralus.

Metalhos
04-15-2006, 03:42 PM
this track is 'filler' - radio filler at that.

i appreciate it, that you will have at least one filler on your tool album in two weeks. :D

ALIvingGrudge
04-15-2006, 03:43 PM
danny's drum sounds. they sound completely different compared to the other albums

Virginity Trey
04-15-2006, 03:44 PM
In the GW article, Jones says something about less emphasis being placed on the vocals on this album. So that was no surprise.

I was very dissapointed the first time I listened to it...but I expected to be dissapointed because I never like new tool the first time I listen to it. After about 3 listens I began to realize that for one of their radio-playable singles it's pretty damn good.

Metalhos
04-15-2006, 03:47 PM
fast'n'bulbous.

ArizonaBay
04-15-2006, 03:51 PM
fast'n'bulbous.

Lol is that a Captain Beefheart reference?

The lyrics suprised me the most. Cynical and direct. I like them but i hope the other songs have more depth otherwise the album might get old fast.

ThePatient666
04-15-2006, 03:52 PM
.... It's quite emotionless, and lacking in dynamics.

...sort of like television?

CallofCthulhu
Nah they weren't, they were hyping it up to be their heaviest since Undertow and to be heavier than Lateralus. Opiate will always be their heaviest work.

Agreed

svet-am
i was surprised at how similar to lateralus the sound is. it's a different take with a bit more APC mixed in, but it would feel right at home on lateralus (instead of TnL, for example). I really had my hopes up that the band would jaunt off in a different direction for this album.

i suppose i was also a bit surprised at how direct the lyrics and references were. i'm so used to maynard being a lot more oblique and using a lot more metaphor. in that regard, this track is more APC than TOOL.

hi8is
04-15-2006, 03:55 PM
the amount of asswads who have an opposing view... being that it sucks..... i cant believe someone would listen to this and go... "darn"

fuck that, this shits fucking sick
you think that this lacks emotion? ok....
try singing along..... should get some fucking emoitions flowing.... unless your fucking the walking dead or some shit like that.

Metalhos
04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Lol is that a Captain Beefheart reference?

it is, dude.

Rogue Diabetic
04-15-2006, 04:39 PM
How straightforward the lyrics were...

I am one to lament the lack of metaphorical lyrics.

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 04:48 PM
I was surprised that it barely sounds like a TOOL. I dig the music, don't dig the vox, but I just don't think it has that TOOL feeling to it. It's quite emotionless, and lacking in dynamics.

I disagree, and I realize that you are in the minority--Do you?

I suggest that everyone that doesn't like this track just find something else to do with their time. Trashing an album is about as lame as making a bad album. Spend your time and money elsewhere if you don't like it.

I will, personally, be there with money-in-hand to buy this album... twice.

Teratoma
04-15-2006, 05:09 PM

Was nothing like Petrucci. Whoop-de-doo! 32nd notes with a litle hammer-on for 2 whole seconds.

John Petrucci makes Adam sound like a clown

praefector
04-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Its not really like that all...its more Tony Iommi than anything. Also, Adam's done the same sort of lick on "Undertow" and "No Quarter," its nothing he hasn't tried before except for that its ridiculously badass.

its a little bit shred

fast alternate strokes and hammer ons...just not so high on the note scale

i think hell have a badass shred solo on this one somewhere...even if its only 15 seconds

praefector
04-15-2006, 05:10 PM
comparing it to petrucci is pretty laughable though

Madrid
04-15-2006, 05:10 PM
Up until now, people would place me in the “Tool Fanboy” section. I suppose that now I’m considered a hater because:

A.) It sounds recycled. As if it was music that didn’t make the cut for Lateralus and lyrics that didn’t make the cut for eMotive.

Sub Point A.) The lyrics seem more like a slap on the wrist than something to ponder over, laugh/smile at, relate to, be mystified by or even, in some cases, care about.

Sub Point B.) The music is awesome, it’s fantastic, it’s entertaining… but it still sounds either six years old or like Tool was uninspired when they wrote it. Every album has always been more inspired than the last – hell, each album is MYSTIFYING compared to the previous.

On a closing note: maybe the rest of the album will blow me away. Maybe each song will compliment each other song and put the entire album into perspective, grand perspective. Who knows?

Gashzilla
04-15-2006, 05:12 PM
I wasn't surprised. It was awesome to hear new Tool music...soak in the riffs and the lyrics and such. But isn't the point to always evolve, striving to do better with each new endeavor? This is Tool's new endeavor, if they weren't proud and didn't feel that they had evolved they would have never put it out. So I give them the respect they deserve.
Incidentally, I personally very much enjoy the song...about every 15 minutes or so. :)

hi8is
04-15-2006, 05:21 PM
Up until now, people would place me in the “Tool Fanboy” section. I suppose that now I’m considered a hater because:

A.) It sounds recycled. As if it was music that didn’t make the cut for Lateralus and lyrics that didn’t make the cut for eMotive.

Sub Point A.) The lyrics seem more like a slap on the wrist than something to ponder over, laugh/smile at, relate to, be mystified by or even, in some cases, care about.

Sub Point B.) The music is awesome, it’s fantastic, it’s entertaining… but it still sounds either six years old or like Tool was uninspired when they wrote it. Every album has always been more inspired than the last – hell, each album is MYSTIFYING compared to the previous.

On a closing note: maybe the rest of the album will blow me away. Maybe each song will compliment each other song and put the entire album into perspective, grand perspective. Who knows?

yeah..... those people i spoke of....... gah

Perseensilmä
04-15-2006, 05:21 PM
It surprised me how lame-ass the main riff of this song is.

Tyro
04-15-2006, 05:22 PM
the amount of asswads who have an opposing view... being that it sucks..... i cant believe someone would listen to this and go... "darn"

fuck that, this shits fucking sick
you think that this lacks emotion? ok....
try singing along..... should get some fucking emoitions flowing.... unless your fucking the walking dead or some shit like that.

Because what works for you, works for everyone else...

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 05:24 PM
The lyrics seem more like a slap on the wrist than something to ponder over, laugh/smile at, relate to, be mystified by or even, in some cases, care about.

Response:

A. I don't think it's so much something to ponder FOR US, as it is something that the band was feeling and enjoying--you have to remember, they don't make music for you to enjoy... they make music for themselves, take it or leave it. I'm personally glad that I can sit and listen to a Tool song for a change that isn't some bizaare fucking ode to a 3rd Century mythical creature or some shit(a bit of an exageration) so what... it's straight forward. It's also pretty relevant, given the current social situation in America... and abroad.

B. Tool is 10-20 years ahead of their time.. if this sounds like 6 year old Tool, we're still talking 5 years ahead of it's time. And I disagree about every album being more Mystifying... I thought Lateralus was absolute Garbage in comparison to Aenema--but was still WAY better than Opiate.

C. if the album doesn't blow you away, give your copy to someone who will enjoy it.

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 05:25 PM
and what suprised me the most, was the haters.

Tyro
04-15-2006, 05:26 PM
and what suprised me the most, was the haters.

Why is it so hard to accept that some people don't like the song? Different strokes...

pensar
04-15-2006, 05:28 PM
five years.

five long years we have waited, only get recycled crap so far. well not crap, but...as someone said earlier, it just sounds like they were uninspired with finding a new style.

Does everything have to be in 15/9 times? or whatever the hell that is. its great if you want to be "math rock" , but come on man. great sounding beats come first....i think they just set out to write it like this in the first place.

my main problem with the song is the vocals / harmony. i like it when he puts lots of effects on so that i can't hear the whinyness. but some lyrics / rhyming/ harmony just don't go with the song at all.

"why can't we just admit it...." - take this out

"i need to watch things die......from a good same distance" - this just doesn't sound good at any point in the song.

come on guys....five years? and i really was looking forward to this album.

::listening to track again now::

yea this would sound so much better without maynard.

merkabalus
04-15-2006, 05:30 PM
maynard's vocals...and how "light" it sounds at first if you know what i mean...before it gets going properly...danny's little "ding ding ding ding" lol...does anyone understand what i'm on about?

Playing the bell on the cymbals ;) I love that too :D

On first listen I couldn't believe how brutal Danny's drumming was. I really hope he didn't have to do too many takes for Vicarious as if you listen through it, he's just beating the fuck out of his kit the whole way through. The song is also tighter than a virgin gnat's chaff - particularly the stop/start section. I also couldn't get over just how dense the mix is, there's soooo much going on at once and it's very clear, yet really really heavy. The section where it all slows down lets it breath beautifully but in a different way to the quiet moments on Lateralus.

I suppose the main surprise for me was just how good the song is. I've been waiting 5 years for this like everyone else and I was expecting to be a little bit underwhelmed. I can honestly say I wasn't - from the first 30 seconds I was grinning ear to ear and the seven minutes absolutely flew by. Every member of the band is playing a big step up from Lateralus and the lyrical sentiment is extremely well handled. Maynard's phrasing and choice of words just frames how a lot of people are feeling about the world at the minute.

Isac Khrondor
04-15-2006, 05:32 PM
I was expecting the song to be slower.

I didn't think the Meshuggah influence would be so obvious.

Maynard sounded like an old man with a soar throat, there were no full on vocal climaxes or memorable lyrics.

Adam sounds exactly like he allways does, loads of D D D D everywhere, same simple picking and triplets, not even any interesting effects.

Bass was quite dominant, the lines were smooth and had a nice tone.

Drumming had a few moments, but it was pretty tame most of the time.

The whole song sounded a little mediocre, it was certainly Tool, but at the same time it felt like it could have easily been written by myself or some other band.

Having said that, i'd sooner listen to Vicarious than Stinkfist or Sober.

Tyro
04-15-2006, 05:34 PM
I didn't think the Meshuggah influence would be so obvious.

I think the chugging with the weak and dry tone was kind of like ... "huh?"

e. blue cum
04-15-2006, 05:38 PM
most people believe people change but.. i never seem to change.. i might think i'm changing, developing, for a while before ending up right back where i used to be, the same person i always was.. this song reflects that.. undertow was lost, aenima was angry and distraught in being lost, and lateralus was a false hope.. as which the albums made me feel.. 10,000 days is coming to terms with being who you are, accepting that the only real changes are physical.. vicarious, at least.. for me.. maybe.. who knows yet.. could be a decoy even but.. i really hope not.. i want more like this..

they spent just under 2 years on this record.. they were jamming in April 04.. and even so.. it's not like we were all stuck in a waiting room the whole time.. tool do not serve us.. hey i'm not here to bash anyone else's thoughts or feelings on the new single.. and it's weird.. because listening to Vicarious on repeat, then listening to parts of Lateralus made me realize just what Lateralus was missing..

it was missing truth.. it was only hope.. it wasn't relatable.. i only wish it were..

waffel
04-15-2006, 05:41 PM
What surprised me was the shitty lyrics and how out of if Maynard sounded.

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Why is it so hard to accept that some people don't like the song? Different strokes...

I'm not suprised that people don't like it, just that they are such bitches about not liking it... who fucking cares if you DON'T like it? That is the point.

LoKi
04-15-2006, 05:46 PM
what suprised me the most was how people thought it was going to change their life.

fuck.

hi8is
04-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Because what works for you, works for everyone else...
clearly, and my opion is odviously suprime and objective.... clearly there is no scarsam here from me.... none, really... continuity

Tyro
04-15-2006, 05:51 PM
I'm not suprised that people don't like it, just that they are such bitches about not liking it... who fucking cares if you DON'T like it? That is the point.

But, how is calling people bitches, fuckers, and haters not perpetuating the cycle of fanboy vs. the dissapointed?

Karl Marx
04-15-2006, 05:52 PM
clearly, and my opion is odviously suprime and objective.... clearly there is no scarsam here from me.... none, really... continuity
Your spelling is obviously supreme too.

LoKi
04-15-2006, 05:57 PM
i love it how people think that pulling people up on their spelling is a retort.

Tyro
04-15-2006, 05:57 PM

*readjusts sarcas-0-meter*

Madrid
04-15-2006, 06:00 PM
Response:

A. I don't think it's so much something to ponder FOR US, as it is something that the band was feeling and enjoying--you have to remember, they don't make music for you to enjoy... they make music for themselves, take it or leave it. I'm personally glad that I can sit and listen to a Tool song for a change that isn't some bizaare fucking ode to a 3rd Century mythical creature or some shit(a bit of an exageration) so what... it's straight forward. It's also pretty relevant, given the current social situation in America... and abroad.

B. Tool is 10-20 years ahead of their time.. if this sounds like 6 year old Tool, we're still talking 5 years ahead of it's time. And I disagree about every album being more Mystifying... I thought Lateralus was absolute Garbage in comparison to Aenema--but was still WAY better than Opiate.

C. if the album doesn't blow you away, give your copy to someone who will enjoy it.

See people? That was a dignified response.

A.) I'd have to agree with you. What you said about the ode made me laugh. And what you said about music not neccecarily being made for US or ME makes sense.

B.) What you said about Lateralus versus Aenima is also a point well taken. I personally see both albums as different and wonderful. But a lot of people agree with you.

C.) My main problem with vicarious is that it "would have been wonderful" and now it's just "kinda cool".
My friend said it was a little much for me to be demanding something ground-shattering every-time... but honestly... Maynard has pretty high standards for other musicians.

Whereas Maynard used to dig around in the muck and mire of the soul, the metaphysical and the mind – he’s risen from the dirt to trot around on his big, white horse of moral righteousness. I personally think he should have kept on covering John Lennon songs, sucking John Edward’s dick and doing whatever the hell he needed to do to get it all out of his system before polluting Tool’s music with it.

I still have faith though. Maybe the album will blow me the fuck away.

I've come to like Maynard less and less as time has gone on.

Madrid
04-15-2006, 06:14 PM
Playing the bell on the cymbals ;) I love that too :D

On first listen I couldn't believe how brutal Danny's drumming was. I really hope he didn't have to do too many takes for Vicarious as if you listen through it, he's just beating the fuck out of his kit the whole way through. The song is also tighter than a virgin gnat's chaff - particularly the stop/start section. I also couldn't get over just how dense the mix is, there's soooo much going on at once and it's very clear, yet really really heavy. The section where it all slows down lets it breath beautifully but in a different way to the quiet moments on Lateralus.

I suppose the main surprise for me was just how good the song is. I've been waiting 5 years for this like everyone else and I was expecting to be a little bit underwhelmed. I can honestly say I wasn't - from the first 30 seconds I was grinning ear to ear and the seven minutes absolutely flew by. Every member of the band is playing a big step up from Lateralus and the lyrical sentiment is extremely well handled. Maynard's phrasing and choice of words just frames how a lot of people are feeling about the world at the minute.

This post makes me really envious. I was really hoping to have my moment like that.

But really, wasn’t somebody preaching that this “wasn’t Lateralus II”?
Alex Gray’s artwork and Tool’s sounds would seriously suggest otherwise.
Whatever, Lateralus II would make me smile. Maybe not ear to ear… but smile.
I’m just hoping this isn’t eMotive 2.

Wretched
04-15-2006, 06:20 PM
How sexy and danceable it is.

Hannibal
04-15-2006, 06:21 PM
i love it how people think that pulling people up on their spelling is a retort.

agreed. its like they feel better about themselves.

The Merovingian
04-15-2006, 06:23 PM
I've been counting down the minutes until the album release... trying not to listen to the single... ohhh fuck, I can't take it anymore.

Someone PM me a link to the song before I have a fucking heart attack.

stardown
04-15-2006, 06:23 PM

Correction: it's like they feel better about themselves ;)

Oooooh. Oooooh. Don't you hate me now?

Madrid
04-15-2006, 06:29 PM

I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who once said “I care not for a man who cannot spell a word in more than one way.”

Sampson
04-15-2006, 06:38 PM
This is my first time posting in this god forsaken section, but I have to say I was dissapointed with the lyrics. However, musically, the song was fucking awesome.

What I dont like about the lyrics is they are too simple and straightforward. Usually Tool lyrics are truly unique and are all about the metaphors, they are lyrics that take time to comprehend and appreciate. The lyrics on Vicarious was just too simple and blah..not toolish at all.

bales
04-15-2006, 06:38 PM
it is definitely a new direction for the band - i've never heard a tool song so clear cut and direct. then again, its only a single, and prolly does play a larger role in light of the rest of the album. either way, it is tool - hard hitting, heavy handed, and doesn't hold any punches. i can't wait until the album drops, and to see if this song is the direction the entire album takes.

hey, you can only sing in the occult veil for so long...nothing wrong with getting a load off of your mind.

Madrid
04-15-2006, 06:44 PM
Despite the fact it sounds recycled (to me) - it's still great music. Since when is recycling bad? Recycling is good. Not Premium. Not Fresh. But good.

I tend to think if the lyrics were "l337 uber" instead of eMotive it would make the song THAT much better.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-15-2006, 06:51 PM
The ending - it is mind boggling, dumbfounding, jaw dropping, shit kicking, ear-drum bursting, heart pumping, total and utter insanity. Fucking wicked ending on this song boys, not much more I can say.

Carbonatedgravy
04-15-2006, 06:52 PM
The only thing that surprised me was the fact that there was no bong hit, weird buzzing or vacuum cleaner switching on before the song started.

Tyro
04-15-2006, 06:57 PM
But, how is calling people bitches, fuckers, and haters not perpetuating the cycle of fanboy vs. the dissapointed?

Werd Tyro, werd.

Madrid
04-15-2006, 07:01 PM
The only thing that surprised me was the fact that there was no bong hit, weird buzzing or vacuum cleaner switching on before the song started.

I know WTF... learn 2 play tool.

eulogist
04-15-2006, 07:12 PM
kinda disappointed... don't get me wrong its a fantastic song but it seems like apc in a wierd meter and a a better drummer
i don't know i was expecting something with more dynamic contrast but this was all loud fuckin loud and loud
im still confident the rest of the album won't let me down because tool is a rock
ps. callofctulhu where in wisconsin r u?

84 pontiac dream
04-15-2006, 07:15 PM
the first time i heard it..i was a little iffy..not kinda feeling it...
but after 10 listens..i love it..
but if feels a little like a re-hashed version of the grudge in a way...
oh well...i wonder how the rest of the album is going to sound like

Madrid
04-15-2006, 07:20 PM
the first time i heard it..i was a little iffy..not kinda feeling it...
but after 10 listens..i love it..
but if feels a little like a re-hashed version of the grudge in a way...
oh well...i wonder how the rest of the album is going to sound like

Well, you see, I knew it would grow on me after 10 plays. And it certainly has: but I was really expecting the "Not Lateralus 2" hyped up song to catch me off guard and blow me to pieces the FIRST time.

And, frankly, it just caught me with sword and board equiped in defensive stance.

Karl Marx
04-15-2006, 07:21 PM
What was I retorting against you dumbass?

Harry Manback
04-15-2006, 07:24 PM
- The beginning, sounded familiar when I was expecting something totally different.
- The theme, I didn't think it would be so obvious.
- The guitar, I was expecting more distortion.

That's about it. I was expecting the vocals to be like that, and the rest sounds pretty similar to TOOL's previous work.

Oh, also it suprised me that it didn't totally blow my mind. But I set my standards too high. I enjoyed it.

voleurz
04-15-2006, 07:25 PM
I think some of these people on here need some more bong hits..
cheers

im not really diggin the lalas but it still fuckin rocks

Orph8998
04-15-2006, 07:35 PM
it supprised me that the same guy who made "juxtaposed" sound so nice in schism
used such a gay word as vicarious in a song...when its not that cool sounding nor does it go well in the song

FistFck
04-15-2006, 07:53 PM
the first time i heard the grudge, i was confused as fuck about maynard vocals. and i was scared the rest of the album would sound like the first lines of that song. but as we already know from kabir's review... this song is NOT representative of the album. personally i love vicarious. i think its amazing. musically its beautiful, and frankly those of you who are bitching that the lyrics are too straighforward? go listen to HWAP again and rethink that. maynards vocals are definately different... but after a few listens, i really began to enjoy it. and i remember that it took me a while to enjoy the grudge, and i still skip schism when i listen to lateralus. i skipped hwap for a long time, but frankly, after a few listens i realize different things i never heard the first or second listen. you say the lyrics are bland, and the open D is repetative? look at the subject matter and tell me that the society around us has become bland and repetative. if this is them presenting us with a canvas and the materials they will be examining in the new album, i think it makes a great first track. especially knowing that eventually they get to spiritualism (lipan conjuring) etc.. i have a feeling 10000 days is going to be a long journey... and i cant wait until may 2nd.

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 08:00 PM
it supprised me that the same guy who made "juxtaposed" sound so nice in schism
used such a gay word as vicarious in a song...when its not that cool sounding nor does it go well in the song

I can't believe we share the same city, dude...

vi·car·i·ous (v-kâr-s, -kr-, v-)
adj.

1. Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another.

Cause I need to watch things die... from a distance--
Vicariously... I live while the whole world dies.

so as you can see, dude... vicarious is EXACTLY the word for what he is trying to say.

84 pontiac dream
04-15-2006, 08:03 PM
after a couple of more listens..
the lyrics are the best part.....imo

Orph8998
04-15-2006, 08:04 PM
yes fucker
i know that
but it sounds bad when he sings it
i know what it means...im aware it makes sense
im not stupid
but it sounds bad

brett caldwell
04-15-2006, 08:04 PM
The killer ending. man that thing went out with a furry!

Light Reflections
04-15-2006, 08:05 PM
How many fucking morons it would bring out of the woodworks at this forum.

Choice Breath
04-15-2006, 08:07 PM
that it's very catchy AND hellish complex at one time.

You captured what I have been trying to express about it. That is a balancing act worthy of praise and respect in itself.

I would add that after all of these years, being as old as they are, I am just a little surprised that Tool is still growing and still blowing me away. (actually, I'm not that surprised about that.) Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

Believer
04-15-2006, 08:08 PM
How the music doesn't really separate from the vocals and do their own thing and the vocals themselves.

I like it though. It took a few listens to really get into but now i can't stop!

FistFck
04-15-2006, 08:10 PM
You captured what I have been trying to express about it. That is a balancing act worthy of praise and respect in itself.

I would add that after all of these years, being as old as they are, I am just a little surprised that Tool is still growing and still blowing me away. (actually, I'm not that surprised about that.) Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

hear, hear.

ImpiusPeregrinus
04-15-2006, 08:25 PM
I can't believe that Maynard chose to go with the emotive style of singing... I was looking forward to the huge maynard sound like previous albums had

FistFck
04-15-2006, 08:36 PM
i wish none of you had heard emotive. then we could stop comparing the two.-it sounds a hell of alot better than emotive.

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 08:38 PM
I can't believe that Maynard chose to go with the emotive style of singing... I was looking forward to the huge maynard sound like previous albums had

Maynard is like 2% of Tool... he's a cog in the wheel. Danny Carey is such a badass drummer, and the bass and drums of Tool are essentially ALL of Tool. Everything else is pretty worthless. I could do without Maynard on ANY Tool track--no vocals and these tracks are STILL better than anything around.

Maynard stepping back and letting the music shine for a while is a FUCKING GREAT occurence.

e. blue cum
04-15-2006, 08:41 PM
someone said they felt something when listening to Tool and that it wasn't so in this song.. i feel something too.. and it was in this song.. and wasn't in The Grudge or Ticks and Leeches or The Patient or Hooker With a Penis or Eulogy (shit) or anything from Undertow.. i felt traces of myself somewhere in this song.. familiar traces..

FistFck
04-15-2006, 08:44 PM
this song is the opening for what will be an amazing album.. im tired (already) of hearing about "cool stuff" they should have put in, or how maynard "should" have sounded. this song really does project what i believe will be the opening scene of an epic album.

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 08:47 PM
i felt traces of myself somewhere in this song.. familiar traces..

That's all that matters, dude. Don't let people detract from your enjoyment of this song. I don't care what someone likes or doesn't like--but I get pissed when people are disrespectful and rude in their trying to FORCE you to hate a song... it's pathetic... people who don't like this song shouldn't be here discussing THIS SONG... pretty much speaks for itself.

It's like they are trying to prove to you that they are right, that it sucks or some shit... when in reality, it's completely subjective.

This is my new Jam for the week--I don't give a fuck who doesn't like it... but anyone who is feeling it, they are on the same wave length with me.

FistFck
04-15-2006, 08:48 PM
thank god. i was going crazy with references to nu metal and betrucci solos

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 08:51 PM
thank god. i was going crazy with references to nu metal and betrucci solos

nu metal... Disturbed... etc.. ;)

fuck it. this song ROCKS!

etaipo
04-15-2006, 08:52 PM
The thing that surprised me most was that some people on TDN didnt like it.

WTF?

I dunno. I like it a lot. Whateve.

Rosetta Stoned
04-15-2006, 08:57 PM
the fast tempo.

it's vocal style.

the lack of a longer drum solo\interlude.

other than that, i think it's a pretty good intro to tools new cd.

i have to say that i beleve that it's a better opener than the grudge. it's more cohesive in my eyes as a song than the grudge.

and that ending...good lord, if they play like that throughout the entire cd, i'll pass out from being over joyed.

Idiotica
04-15-2006, 08:59 PM
i would enjoy the song more if it was about 2-3 minutes shorter. and if it's 'not representative of the album' then why is it opening track and first single?

Sea of Lies
04-15-2006, 09:01 PM
The start-stop part at 3:26... danny could have filled that part..
And the fact that being the 1st song in the album it didn't have some kind of special shit like sweat, intolerance, aenima, the grudge and even third eye live from salival..

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 09:05 PM
The start-stop part at 3:26... danny could have filled that part..
And the fact that being the 1st song in the album it didn't have some kind of special shit like sweat, intolerance, aenima, the grudge and even third eye live from salival..

I actually watched a video of an interview that Tool did for British TV or whatever, and they talked about not putting long solo's in, because the music speaks for itself, and it's not about SHOWING OFF, but about being musical and challenging themselves, as well as us...

perhaps they don't want to be Steve fucking Vai?

nthistogether
04-15-2006, 09:11 PM
-No subtlety in the lyrics

-It's MUCH faster than anything they've ever done

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 09:18 PM
-No subtlety in the lyrics

What in the hell is Subtle about Stinkfist?

nthistogether
04-15-2006, 09:24 PM
What in the hell is Subtle about Stinkfist?

It was more subtle than "turn on the tv..." "stare like a zombie...".

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 09:29 PM
It was more subtle than "turn on the tv..." "stare like a zombie...".

hey bud, I didn't ask about THIS song... I asked about Stinkfist... what the fuck is subtle about it?

there nothing subtle about a LOT of lyrics that Tool have, thats my point. Maybe they are subtle if you are a fucking dolt and can't think, or something

NoD
04-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Something kind of sad about
the way that things have come to be
desensitized to everything
what became of subtlety

ryzur
04-15-2006, 09:52 PM
The thing that surprised me was how much of a whole package it was. Each member of the band contributed to bring out a raw, raging package. Just try and imagine the song without any one of its four instruments, one at a time.

I think this song is about bringing out raw emotions, think about it, we feed off watching things die? Are we that desensitized? Stinkfist 2.0 anyone?, and (coincidentally?) the first track of the album.

e. blue cum
04-15-2006, 09:56 PM
it's very raw yes.. carved out of marble rather than molded out of clay..

Madrid
04-15-2006, 10:15 PM
After listening to it another 15 times - I think it's fair to say that we should all love it: parts of the song nearly synch up to Third Eye perfectly.

It's like 46&2, Schism and Third Eye all rolled into one.... and Maynard.

auralassassin
04-15-2006, 10:19 PM
After listening to it another 15 times - I think it's fair to say that we should all love it: parts of the song nearly synch up to Third Eye perfectly.

It's like 46&2, Schism and Third Eye all rolled into one.... and Maynard.

yea.. the part with the mutes reminds me of

"suckit.... suckit!!!!!!"

they are taking pieces of what works... it's called progressing as musicians. they are at a point in their careers when they can pretty much tell if something will work in advance. there are far more people that like this than dislike it, I'm coming to find out--those who hate are just more vocal.

Madrid
04-15-2006, 10:28 PM
yea.. the part with the mutes reminds me of

"suckit.... suckit!!!!!!"

they are taking pieces of what works... it's called progressing as musicians. they are at a point in their careers when they can pretty much tell if something will work in advance. there are far more people that like this than dislike it, I'm coming to find out--those who hate are just more vocal.

Why does everybody use that word? I don't hate!
I like it. Most of the "haters" like it. We're Tool fans. We LOVE Tool.
Most of us would wait for hours in the rain with a full blown fever to see Tool perform and still not sell their ticket for 6,000 dollars...

I wouldn't sell mine.

But, I still have my opinions. And some of our "opinions" contain the notion that some of the sound sounds a bit recycled.

Afterall, when somebody says "Wow, this sounds recycled" the only reason they know that is because they have an intimate relationship with the sound being recycled. So. There.

not_okay
04-16-2006, 01:51 AM
what surprised me the most was the overall mood of the song. i don't think we've heard anything this.. well, almost cheerful when you compare it to everything on lateralus or aenima. it has this uplifting energy which reminds of apc's the outsider.

neurosis79
04-16-2006, 01:58 AM
Surpise is how Tool can top themselves again. My expectations where high but I always doubted if they could top another Aenima or Lateralus. And yes Vicarious is awesome and predicts the album to be another new top for Tool.

I totally agree. Couldnt say it better myself.

neurosis79
04-16-2006, 02:15 AM
the rif***e is all very unique in structure but not in style [for tool].. and there are so many more riffs to this song than any other Tool song.. reflection had what, the main riff, the bass/guitar rattlesnake threat riff that followed, and variations of the riff at the end.. the drums are absolutely perfect.. the vocals are great, and the climax absolutely blows me away.. and has, 45 times now.. at least.. the bass was pretty low in the mix, yet it fit so well there and was totally audible.. this is just an intense song..

biggest suprise was probably just that it was so.. perfect.. not afraid to be anything, not aiming to be complicated, just doing what it takes and doing it well.. so straightforward all around.. it's absolutely perfect.. and gets better with every listen.. also suprising is that it's the opener, typically one of the worst tracks on a Tool album..

EH........ cause stinkfist and the grudge are so darn bad?????
are u high??? beside of that i totally agree.

Sleep
04-16-2006, 03:50 AM
How similar it sounded to Lateralus. I expected a bigger departure from that sound.

Orph8998
04-16-2006, 04:29 AM
schism + godsmack + cool intro and outro + a few fills = vicarious

Metalhos
04-16-2006, 02:16 PM
half way deaf || expecting to feel complete toolish complexity after 1 or 2 listens || unable to be patient enough until the pieces fit = vicarious sucks.

Sasha
04-16-2006, 04:05 PM
hahaha. i just finally finished listening to this and just wow. the trick goes on.

i hope you people detach yourselves from being such devout followers, and put aside your longing for new tool music, because this is not it. it's so fast paced, so mainstreeam, so rockish that it can't be tool. i believe even with the supposed dates that the joke should have been out on, they'll take it all the way up to may 2nd. playing tricks on radio stations, fans, and whoever else. so, that we may get a fresh new album without any leaks, reviews and misconceptions. everything has changed so harshly on this song, that i literally laughed through parts of it. so, no i don't like the single in a tool point of view. sure, it's catchy and nice to put on now and so on, but nothing to keep for a long time. thats probably the second reason aside from it being so shitty that its not their work, because tools music withstands time, as is apparent since '92.

Perseensilmä
04-16-2006, 04:42 PM
hahaha. i just finally finished listening to this and just wow. the trick goes on.

i hope you people detach yourselves from being such devout followers, and put aside your longing for new tool music, because this is not it. it's so fast paced, so mainstreeam, so rockish that it can't be tool. i believe even with the supposed dates that the joke should have been out on, they'll take it all the way up to may 2nd. playing tricks on radio stations, fans, and whoever else. so, that we may get a fresh new album without any leaks, reviews and misconceptions. everything has changed so harshly on this song, that i literally laughed through parts of it. so, no i don't like the single in a tool point of view. sure, it's catchy and nice to put on now and so on, but nothing to keep for a long time. thats probably the second reason aside from it being so shitty that its not their work, because tools music withstands time, as is apparent since '92.

i fucking hope and pray you are right.