PDA

View Full Version : Maynard's vocals in this song

Teratoma
04-15-2006, 09:17 AM
I hear quite a few people whining about Maynard's voice. Am I the only person who thinks that the vox in this song are GOOD? He castrated APC and put a hint of it in there. The guy doesn't need to scream all the freaking time. I know he's getting older and they muffled the vocals with the rest of the song, but I like it a lot...

*shrug*

MentalSanityOff
04-15-2006, 09:32 AM
It's... different.

<FUTANT>
04-15-2006, 09:34 AM
I was hoping for more lateralus style vocals on this song...but it grows on me every time i listen to it...

Nirvanaholic
04-15-2006, 09:35 AM
The first couple of listens i didn't like the vocals much, but it grows on you.

TheJuiceOfSatan
04-15-2006, 11:03 AM
To me, it sounds a little rough. Perhaps agitated? it fits the song perfectly, theres singing, and theres a rough edge to his voice. But im sure the singing on the rest of the album will be as varied as previous albums.

mancalledsun
04-15-2006, 11:09 AM
I hear quite a few people whining about Maynard's voice. Am the only person who thinks that the vox in this song are GOOD? He castrated APC and put a hint of it in there. The guy doesn't need to scream all the freaking time. I know he's getting older and they muffled the vocals with the rest of the song, but I like it a lot...

*shrug*

I agree with you, these vocals are much better than 'good', they're perfect. The melodies are great, and he did what was needed for the song. I love the dryness and raspiness in his voice, and it was nice to hear the final refrain revisit his trademark sound. He bridged the perfect gap between APC and Tool... I'm so glad that he was part of that band, because he's brought some fresh new melodic ideas to Tool.

JakeMness
04-15-2006, 11:25 AM
I love the vocals, deep and sort of whispered and then back to the maynard chorus vocals

Systolic
04-15-2006, 11:50 AM
Lets face it.

Maynard is an old fart.

dekard49
04-15-2006, 02:25 PM
I agree with you, these vocals are much better than 'good', they're perfect. The melodies are great, and he did what was needed for the song. I love the dryness and raspiness in his voice, and it was nice to hear the final refrain revisit his trademark sound. He bridged the perfect gap between APC and Tool... I'm so glad that he was part of that band, because he's brought some fresh new melodic ideas to Tool.

Thats why I liked the fact maynard had APC to vent that kind of melodic inclination; so he could come back to TOOL and rip it up. I dont see it so much as a bridging a gap, more of a compromise. Hopefully I'll come round in time.

Thinking about it, this reminds me of Burton C. Bell coming from his Watchers time to record with Fear Factory. The band was never the same again :(

I don't think melody works as well with the hard tool sound, except when they break the music down ala H. or reflection.

We will see.

eonphi
04-15-2006, 02:31 PM
i love it...i don't care what anyone else says...it's perfect

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 02:32 PM
i think he could've developed the endings of phrases better, like when he sings "Why oh why"

but that's a small complaint when compared to how good the vocals are. maynard fails to dissapoint

STA
04-15-2006, 02:33 PM
I like the style of the vocals; I do not like the lyrics; but the style fits the lyrics well.

dekard49
04-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Lets face it.

Maynard is an old fart.

:/

dekard49
04-15-2006, 02:44 PM
i love it...i don't care what anyone else says...it's perfect

Systolic
04-15-2006, 02:46 PM

I was kidding. I think Maynard does great in this song, despite his age.

dekard49
04-15-2006, 02:46 PM
i think he could've developed the endings of phrases better, like when he sings "Why oh why"

but that's a small complaint when compared to how good the vocals are. maynard fails to dissapoint

You think theyll keep this kind of mix for the rest of album? Somone posted somewhere that Maynard was initially unhappy with the production, i wonder what, if any, influence this had on the way he sings on the album...

dekard49
04-15-2006, 02:48 PM
I like the style of the vocals; I do not like the lyrics; but the style fits the lyrics well.

How do you feel about the potential political aspects now were one track in?

dekard49
04-15-2006, 02:49 PM

Fair do's! I guess the lack of an emote confused me, lol ;)

STA
04-15-2006, 02:51 PM
How do you feel about the potential political aspects now were one track in?

Needless to say, I do not like the social/political themes present in Vicarious. Wasn't this supposed to be their "most personal album"? I really hope that this is as far as Maynard takes these themes in 10,000 Days, but I fear that this might only be the beginning.

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 03:07 PM
wait, how is this song political?

oh right, it's not.

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 03:08 PM
You think theyll keep this kind of mix for the rest of album? Somone posted somewhere that Maynard was initially unhappy with the production, i wonder what, if any, influence this had on the way he sings on the album...

good lord i hope they do. i love music that is mixed like this. draws you into it so much more, and presents more a fuller wall of sound than having one guy sing above everything else

Descencia
04-15-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm surprised that no one has pointed out yet that Maynard's vocals on Vicarious are sung the same way as in Lateralus the song. When he says "Black then white are all I see, in my infancy" etc. It's raspy for that like for Vicarious. This is not a new style of singing for him because he did it in that song first. Vicarious is great though and it definitely grows on you.

Agenda
04-15-2006, 03:14 PM
good lord i hope they do. i love music that is mixed like this. draws you into it so much more, and presents more a fuller wall of sound than having one guy sing above everything else

I never thought the vocals in tool were mixed high. they were lower pre-10,00 days then any other "main stream" band. Now I think they're way to low. You lose alot of power that power for the whole song.

STA
04-15-2006, 03:14 PM
wait, how is this song political?

oh right, it's not.

The question posed to me asked how I felt about the political aspects of Vicarious. I recognize that the lyrics are not explicity political, which is why I responded by discussing social/political themes. Politely note that I refrained from inserting a rambling invective against eMotive. I know you hate that, dracomordag.

Idiotica
04-15-2006, 03:23 PM
of course its political - what do you think he's reacting to in the lyrics ... this is current events stuff on the tv bro.

Bogart
04-15-2006, 03:28 PM
I like it, it took a few listens to grow on me, but i'm not disappointed.

dekard49
04-15-2006, 03:29 PM
When nard starts singing the headlines and they alter the effect on the vocal it reminds me a little of RATM, Ashes in the fall:

"Take hope here/
War is elsewhere..."

dekard49
04-15-2006, 03:34 PM
of course its political - what do you think he's reacting to in the lyrics ... this is current events stuff on the tv bro.

I was quite jarred when i heard the T.V mentioned in Vicarious; the last reference I saw/heard Nard/APC make to the television was the video for "Counting bodies like sheep" - they make their views very clear, and it is blatantly political.

I see material inclining that way on 10k days, imo.

waXresilienT
04-15-2006, 03:37 PM

He's reacting to people that sit on their ass and watch tv, watch the news, and think that getting information from that source means they care or actually make their voice heard. There is nothing political about that unless you want to say thats how people make up their political minds, from watching t.v. and listening to the news. But it's much more broad than that. It deals with ANY information that is fed to people through that rotten box, political or no. If you wanna hear another song on the same subject listen to "Trouble Everyday Day" -Frank Zappa. Def. not original......but still good. :)

edit: the subject of vicarious is not original i mean...but still good

Idiotica
04-15-2006, 03:39 PM
counting bodies like sheep, the outsider, PET, The package (somewhat), Annihilation (emotive track)

waXresilienT
04-15-2006, 03:41 PM
didnt know we were talking about APC........

edit: nevermind

Orph8998
04-15-2006, 03:43 PM
SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

dekard49
04-15-2006, 03:44 PM
SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

I beg your pardon?

njm
04-15-2006, 03:50 PM
What about the fact that the content of the lyrics, what is being said in the song, the fucking message! is dark and angry. Do you think that would suit the style of singing?

Resist the urge to say that all new Tool will be like this, it is, afterall, just one song!

waXresilienT
04-15-2006, 03:53 PM
well they have always had some angry songs and some uplifting songs. They've always met in the middle, as we all should

MentalSanityOff
04-15-2006, 04:02 PM
I'd like bass and low drums to be a little higher in the mix, but im always after that "live" sound.

aquarium salt
04-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Resist the urge to say that all new Tool will be like this, it is, afterall, just one song!
Agreed, it's like assuming that all of aenima would be all like hooker with a penis, or lateralus all being like ticks & leeches.

njm
04-15-2006, 04:08 PM
Agreed, it's like assuming that all of aenima would be all like hooker with a penis, or lateralus all being like ticks & leeches.

Precisely. And if you don't like it couldn't you just fuck right off??

Personally, I couldn't give too much of a fuck if the new album is "better than lateralus" anyway, it is subjective and depends on your mood at the time and where it takes you in the long run!

The real point is that there will be a tour soon. This is the biggest news to date!

Ertai
04-15-2006, 05:01 PM
i absolutely love the vocals... it makes you want to listen to the song again....

i think the song is going to do great as a single..

zee deveel 17
04-15-2006, 05:13 PM
i was neutral to the vocals on the first listen... but i love them now because they're completely different

i hope the entire cd doesn't sound like that from him, however.

Andorion
04-15-2006, 05:56 PM
The trill in "story" and the chill in "dies" are beautiful.

Alistair_Carson
04-15-2006, 09:22 PM
I, for one, like it. It's really not the first time he's done something like this. He used the same whispering style on The Grudge (albeit a little less melodically) and in Opiate. The chorus and climax remind me of HWAP too.

Light Reflections
04-15-2006, 09:58 PM
The trill in "story" and the chill in "dies" are beautiful.
Oh man, I could not agree more.

neotoma
04-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Really, no matter what Maynard touches...I'm biased, because I adore his voice and I believe his singing style is unlike any of his contemporaries - any project he involves himself in is always approached with critical thought. You guys could go easy on him about his voice though...the guy is in his mid-forties, sure, Frank Sinatra had a long career, but that man didn't use his voice to the excess that Maynard did. For the past 15 years of Tool's existence this man has been touring, recording, (with two bands, have you), and enjoying his life. That pays a toll on the life of a human voice. If one were to take a listen to earlier Tool (live) recordings you would notice a volume difference in his voice, esp., when comparing Undertow era to Lateralus. You can tell the high register of his voice has been wearing thin from years of overuse...The man really did have a beautiful range...esp. during his younger years...the cadence, intonation, and almost primal emotions that his voice was capable of producing, make me, fucking, shiver.Any singer who possesses a lyrical instrument and resonates it, with more depth than the voice is designed to function healthily, is asking for major vocal trouble. I don't know...did he warm up his voice before shows? I assume so. But, then, I'm also assuming that his voice is gone...If so, that's too bad...though this is all being said from the perspective of someone who has only heard "Vicarious." It really is too early to tell...maybe this man doesn't yet have to rely on pitch correction, vocal overdubbing, and slick production to do things for him...Maybe it's JUST A SINGLE.

Teratoma
04-16-2006, 09:51 AM
i absolutely love the vocals... it makes you want to listen to the song again....

i think the song is going to do great as a single..

agree 100%

junkie
04-16-2006, 10:00 AM
Quoting myself:

"I'm sure i wasn't alone in effectively shitting myself upon hearing 'Vicarious Maynard' for the first time, but now i feel that i can truly appreciate the relevence of his sharp and gravelly vocals. In my opinion, it really expresses the biterness and sincerity he holds towards the subject."

morgaine
04-16-2006, 11:39 AM
I disagree that the vocals in this track were distorted and turned down because Maynard is old and has a crapped out voice. How about they did it because it is new and different and sounds really good on this song? If the entire album has vocals like this and he uses live voice over effects on every song on tour, then I might think his voice was ruined. That's unlikely, though... I heard him sing his ass off when APC was on tour two or so years ago and he definitely still sounded great to me. I love his voice-- it has the capability to convey, as well as trigger, so much deep emotion. If it were ever ruined, what a tragedy that'd be!

Orph8998
04-16-2006, 12:02 PM
I beg your pardon?

without maynard's voice being so soft and loud...i cant tune out adam's guitar playing
so i think they "SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

dracomordag
04-16-2006, 12:31 PM

no, the lyrics are pretty clearly about people who enjoy watching violence on TV. doesn't matter who is in office right now, he's complaining about those of us who are sucked into vicariously leading other people's over-glorified, overtly violent lives.

srsly

Opiate Son
04-18-2006, 04:06 PM
Lets face it.

Maynard is an old fart.

maybe you should just take a deep breath....and suck your pants up your ass!!

Beard
04-19-2006, 10:09 PM
Is it possible Maynard's voice has a "drawn back" sound as if he's the one watching "from a good safe distance" while the music that is freakin' rockin is all the violence going on through the tv and the world?

Could be way off there, but thought I'd give it a try.

Opiate_Mass
04-20-2006, 06:15 AM
Lets face it.

Maynard is an old fart.
but he still has a great fucking set of pipes

ID-entity
04-20-2006, 11:57 AM
I especially like the way each chorus it slightly different than the one before it and that they build up to the last one. I got goose bumps for the last 15 seconds of the song.

hbynoe
04-20-2006, 01:54 PM
i love how he is mixed in
how you really have to struggle to hear
i think it is beautiful

swash
04-20-2006, 05:52 PM
This is my favorite vocal track on the album thus far. Maynard's voice fits with this music style better than most of the othe songs in my opinion. I'm totally into the verses on this one. I've always preferred his lyrics when he's pissed off, too. Some of the lyrics in Jambi and Wings are sort of cheesy to me.

Opiate Son
04-23-2006, 11:09 AM

lol, oops! didn't pick up what you were puttin' down, sorry about the other post!

Ancalagon
04-23-2006, 11:13 AM
Well, for those of you who haven't heard the album .... well, nevermind, I'll leave that up to you to find out.

fugitive538
04-23-2006, 11:44 AM
I think Maynards vocal really fits the lyrics of this song. no matter that we've all heard better vocal works from him -- when that was needed.
anyway, whatever Maynard does in vocals and in lyrics seems to be perfect to me. I only got APC's albums because of him. (Hell, i even like the two Puscifer songs, despite the fact their musical background doesnt worth a damn. They still have a special atmosphere.)
He's singing exactly what he wants in order to create the art what they want. i dont think there is a single sound from Him on the album, that became like this because he simply couldnt do better.

the-repent
04-23-2006, 12:30 PM
First things first. As of yet i have only listened to Vicarious, unlike some of you other fuckers i am waiting patiently for the legitimate album. Anyway ive listened to the track only a few times as i do not want 'single syndrome - ' . Lyrically i am a bit suprised by maynards selection. Usually there are several levels of determining the subject matter in previous releases. However with Vicarious i find myself coming to an understanding and drawing a conclusion on the lyrical aspects after only a few listens. - How very untool like ? Maybe im judging to soon, but im not saying this is a particuarly bad thing. Its just different. Anyone else thinking on the same lines?
As for sound. Yes it is certainly a change from Lateralus, i dont think age has anything to do with maynards vocal abilities. I think working in apc has deffinately helped in improving maynards voice. He seems to have developed well as a musician.

Ein SofDrink
04-23-2006, 01:12 PM
Just a quick opinion from a singer in responseto those thinking that the "whisper" style vocals are a result of Maynard's aging.

1.) That style of singing is actually more difficult and taxing on the voice and should not be seen as weak or a cop out. It requires a lot of breath and to maintain that kind of control and pitch takes skill at any level or age.

2.) While female vocalist "peak" or should I say reach a lot of their singing potential at the beginning of "adulthood" (let's say around 18-20), males vocalist generally don't mature into their singing voice fully until they are quite into their 30's (unless they have treated their voice and body poorly over their lifetime of course. This would really put Maynard in probably one of the most exiting times as a (male) vocalist.

Then again, this could all be garbage as no particular source or science can truly be deemed "true."

maelstroms_child
04-23-2006, 04:52 PM
I would agree with the people that say that the more you hear it, the better it gets. At first I was really dissapointed, but after listening to it a little more you find new things that give you that warm, toolish feeling in your brain-meats...

Brino
04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
I really like the song. The vocals are good. Just because he has the ability to sing in a wide range doesn't mean he has to do it in every song. They do remind me of the beginning of Lateralus. I have listened to the song 30+ times and I like it as much as I did the first time if not more.

themayanlion
04-23-2006, 05:39 PM
First things first. As of yet i have only listened to Vicarious, unlike some of you other fuckers i am waiting patiently for the legitimate album. Anyway ive listened to the track only a few times as i do not want 'single syndrome - ' . Lyrically i am a bit suprised by maynards selection. Usually there are several levels of determining the subject matter in previous releases. However with Vicarious i find myself coming to an understanding and drawing a conclusion on the lyrical aspects after only a few listens. - How very untool like ? Maybe im judging to soon, but im not saying this is a particuarly bad thing. Its just different. Anyone else thinking on the same lines?
As for sound. Yes it is certainly a change from Lateralus, i dont think age has anything to do with maynards vocal abilities. I think working in apc has deffinately helped in improving maynards voice. He seems to have developed well as a musician.

haha yeah man, hooker with a penis totally took like 3 years of meditation and magickal magicking for me to figure out.