PDA

View Full Version : Vicarious/Stereoscopic/Zombie Stare

a big stupid dumbass
04-15-2006, 09:08 AM
This is just a thought that I would like to bounce of others to see what kind of responses I can get. In the song Vicarious there are numerous references to what we might call our penchant for distanced viewing and second hand living. I know that some of the leaked artwork features stereoscopic visuals which require the viewer(s) to cross their eyes in order to see a three-dimensional image. I am wondering if the stereoscopic imagery (as cool as it is) might be a way to get fans of tool to put themselves into what, to others, would look like a fairly zombie like state (crossed eyes) while subjectively, to the viewer, there is a (vicarious) purpose that others don't really know is there in the first place, i.e. wanting to see the the 3-D image. Just a thought. I don't really suppose it as a serious possibility, but it could be a bit of an esoteric joke coming from the band. Any comments?

By the way if you haven't heard the song yet, it is as tight as possible, I think the band is better than ever.

weak&weary
04-15-2006, 01:10 PM
In a not-idiotic and actual response to your inquiry, I think your post is insane, but not impossible. Unfortunately I have nothing to add, and have wasted my time and yours. Idiotic of me, yes.

RED_THE_HAT
04-15-2006, 10:07 PM
This is just a thought that I would like to bounce of others to see what kind of responses I can get. In the song Vicarious there are numerous references to what we might call our penchant for distanced viewing and second hand living. I know that some of the leaked artwork features stereoscopic visuals which require the viewer(s) to cross their eyes in order to see a three-dimensional image. I am wondering if the stereoscopic imagery (as cool as it is) might be a way to get fans of tool to put themselves into what, to others, would look like a fairly zombie like state (crossed eyes) while subjectively, to the viewer, there is a (vicarious) purpose that others don't really know is there in the first place, i.e. wanting to see the the 3-D image. Just a thought. I don't really suppose it as a serious possibility, but it could be a bit of an esoteric joke coming from the band. Any comments?

By the way if you haven't heard the song yet, it is as tight as possible, I think the band is better than ever.

Sounds confusing to me, anything confusing to me sounds like Tool. So yeah, sounds great!

Øpiate
04-16-2006, 04:28 PM
Wow.
it's always posts like this that no one spends any time actually discussing.
What a pity.
Well, no, I really don't think that the two are anywhere close to related. The stereoscopic imagery is something Adam's been working on as of late, and isn't related to the album itself. I doubt we'll even see any images in the liner that are stereoscopic. I'd love to discuss more further, but I just hocked up a flegm gem, and have to go expunge it. Blech

psims23
04-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Doubtful if there's any relation, but kudos on the thought, I guess?

spiralout11235
04-16-2006, 05:17 PM
That's an interesting thought, but I agree with the other posters, I don't find them to be related.

a big stupid dumbass
04-16-2006, 08:44 PM
What a KICK ASS concept!!
I LOVE IT!!!

ZOMBIFIED!!!

Why thank you.... I was wondering if anyone was going to notice this. It was a thought I had when I was viewing the "leaked album art" and I was just like...man I probably look like a complete idiot right now. Then the song leaked, and I heard "stare like a zombie/stare like a junkie". I wouldn't put it past the band to put something out making us look temporarily foolish in order to catch a meaning that is "hidden in plain sight". That is just the type of clever humor they can generate.

Neil
04-18-2006, 03:09 AM

Its a nice idea.

However, I think you have misunderstood the meaning of the word 'vicarious' in your post.

"there is a (vicarious) purpose that others don't really know is there in the first place"

Vicarious means, doing something from a distance (by proxy). You seem to have interpreted the word to mean hidden.