PDA

View Full Version : Post Vicarious: I give up

CalfMan
04-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Well, Ive just listened to Vicarious about 5 times back to back and I have to say that I have now completely lost faith in the forums aroud here. If you dont like this song, you dont like tool. Period.

splints
04-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Amen

justlikeme
04-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Yup, I agree. It's a killer track.

Jimmeny
04-15-2006, 07:56 AM
Maybe some of us just aren't too keen on recycling riffs from previous albums.

magnolia
04-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Agreed. I fucking love this song.

Navid
04-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Well, Ive just listened to Vicarious about 5 times back to back and I have to say that I have now completely lost faith in the forums aroud here. If you dont like this song, you dont like tool. Period.

This is ridiculously inaccurate.

ThePatient666
04-15-2006, 07:58 AM
Just imagining this song live give me a massive erection...

bass_dude
04-15-2006, 07:59 AM
pfft...only 5 times?

n00b.

mjk3131
04-15-2006, 08:00 AM
agreed

Dredg
since you have ADD and can not understand that there are already multiply discussions about this song I will repost what I already said.

lets start from the beginning and work our way to end that way you can refute everything I say and show me how wrong I am. However, first you actually have to refute everything I say. You ready? Do I have your attention?

The beginning of the song is fine, Kabir thinks that it is hard hitting right away. I think the snythized drums are good and enjoy them. But when it goes into the main riff I am disappointed for many reasons. The guitar sounds like generic nu-metal distortion. It does not sound like they are playing LIVE whatsoever. This main riff is mediocre at best and has nothing special about it.

The worst part about this song is the verse. This is where it sounds like APC. For some reason tool incorporated a traditional verse and back to chorus approach. (it sounds like crap, especially because the riff is mediocre) BECAUSE I NEED TO WATCH THINGS DIE....I sure hope the rest of the album doesn’t have these catchy ass radio rock bullshit on it. I think the best part about Tool was how Maynard used his lyrics as a metaphor to something else. The funny thing is this song has already been DONE...it is called stinkfist. In that song Maynard talks about people being desensitized to events in the world, much like he blatantly does in Vicarious.

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?

Now the breakdown, what is this shit? "Why can't we just admit it" this is a disgrace to all things Meshuggah in which Meshuggah is soooo much deeper sounding and evil. Then comes Adams solo rendition...wow...why did they even add that in? It definitely sounds like a Pushit riff, let me pop that in to tell you the exact time that riff occurs.

after the mediocre breakdown it goes back into the intro to set up for the outro of the song. This is where it gets ok seeing how Danny's toms and bass drum sounds pretty deep, deeper sounding then any other album. But once again, Adam comes in with his corny mediocre riff that just takes away from the whole song. It is a mix between No Quarter (seeing how no quarter plays on the 10 and 12 frets, but goes up to 3 and 5) The reason why this is exactly schism, but different is because of his fast 10 and 12 fret hit. IF you want you can hear the exact same ending of Vicarious as the ending of Schism....go ahead I dare you to go listen to it...

Anyway, Stinkfist lyrics (however, Stinkfist lyrics put Vicarious lyrics to shame) with cheesy Schism riffs and you have this song. This is really rock radio friendly and so was Schism, but we will have to see with the rest of the album is like, now wont we?

ATARI
I had dreams about this song last night. It's just been stuck in my head ever since

orange.juice

Mongeese
04-15-2006, 08:01 AM

KohMusu
It's an amazing song, just the beginning, his vocals are melodic and perfect. I do have to say it reminds me of apc, but it retains it's tool roots. Maybe maynard did it on purpose, from his experience with both he's probably gained some new ways of using his voice.

Ryan
oh my god, shut up

Tool4Eva
04-15-2006, 08:02 AM
I don't like this song.

splints
04-15-2006, 08:02 AM
since you have ADD and can not understand that there are already multiply discussions about this song I will repost what I already said.

lets start from the beginning and work our way to end that way you can refute everything I say and show me how wrong I am. However, first you actually have to refute everything I say. You ready? Do I have your attention?

The beginning of the song is fine, Kabir thinks that it is hard hitting right away. I think the snythized drums are good and enjoy them. But when it goes into the main riff I am disappointed for many reasons. The guitar sounds like generic nu-metal distortion. It does not sound like they are playing LIVE whatsoever. This main riff is mediocre at best and has nothing special about it.

The worst part about this song is the verse. This is where it sounds like APC. For some reason tool incorporated a traditional verse and back to chorus approach. (it sounds like crap, especially because the riff is mediocre) BECAUSE I NEED TO WATCH THINGS DIE....I sure hope the rest of the album doesn’t have these catchy ass radio rock bullshit on it. I think the best part about Tool was how Maynard used his lyrics as a metaphor to something else. The funny thing is this song has already been DONE...it is called stinkfist. In that song Maynard talks about people being desensitized to events in the world, much like he blatantly does in Vicarious.

Now the breakdown, what is this shit? "Why can't we just admit it" this is a disgrace to all things Meshuggah in which Meshuggah is soooo much deeper sounding and evil. Then comes Adams solo rendition...wow...why did they even add that in? It definitely sounds like a Pushit riff, let me pop that in to tell you the exact time that riff occurs.

after the mediocre breakdown it goes back into the intro to set up for the outro of the song. This is where it gets ok seeing how Danny's toms and bass drum sounds pretty deep, deeper sounding then any other album. But once again, Adam comes in with his corny mediocre riff that just takes away from the whole song. It is a mix between No Quarter (seeing how no quarter plays on the 10 and 12 frets, but goes up to 3 and 5) The reason why this is exactly schism, but different is because of his fast 10 and 12 fret hit. IF you want you can hear the exact same ending of Vicarious as the ending of Schism....go ahead I dare you to go listen to it...

Anyway, Stinkfist lyrics (however, Stinkfist lyrics put Vicarious lyrics to shame) with cheesy Schism riffs and you have this song. This is really rock radio friendly and so was Schism, but we will have to see with the rest of the album is like, now wont we?

Why do you even listen to music?

orange.juice
04-15-2006, 08:04 AM
look dredg, first of all dredg sucks.
well yeah, end of story. Get it? GET IT?

luketheduke06
04-15-2006, 08:05 AM
You seriously think this is a radio friendly rock song... riiiight. Stinkfist is 100 times more radio friendly.

Dredg
04-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Look fellas, what did I say in the begining of my post?

none of you people did that, does your brain have certain challenges that the average person does not have or something?

orange.juice
04-15-2006, 08:08 AM
i did that. moron

splints

none of you people did that, does your brain have certain challenges that the average person does not have or something?

That would require everyone to have the same feelings toward the song. Despite what you may think, music is about emotions, not breaking everything down into little details.

Have fun not enjoying it.

Jimmeny
You know, Dredg has a point. The song isn't as awful as he makes out, but all the comparisons he makes are true.

mattw
04-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Today I listened to the song (several times) at midday - I then went to work from 3:30pm till midnight. Having heard the song earlier and NOT having any access to it at work, my head was going crazy. I couldn't stop thinking about the whole song...

The intro, the heaviness, the "why can't we just admit it?" parts (lyrics and music), everything...

I was so glad to get home and finally listen again!

The only odd thing is reading about how SOME people didn't like it and think that it's unoriginal etc.

Oh well...

Can't wait for the other 70 mins of fun...

EDIT: I just realised my post has no real point nor is directed at anyone in particular. I guess I just needed to say 'something' after having been away for so long (half a day etc.)

rsh
04-15-2006, 08:09 AM
i was iffy about it at first, but now i cant get it out of head, great song.

s ti N Kfizt
04-15-2006, 08:11 AM
look dredg, first of all dredg sucks.
well yeah, end of story. Get it? GET IT?
lol

i like that band tho.

a788
04-15-2006, 08:11 AM
havent heard it and i want to hear it damnit.... rsh... pm me? nice avatar by the way

amitface
04-15-2006, 08:12 AM
I dreamt about it last night.

Dredg
04-15-2006, 08:14 AM
You know, Dredg has a point. The song isn't as awful as he makes out, but all the comparisons he makes are true.

I hope I dont come out to making the song "awful" because it truly isnt...however, it seems like it is rushed work by tool.

Navid
04-15-2006, 08:16 AM

This man does not represent me. But I still don't think the single is as impressive as being made out by many here.

orange.juice
04-15-2006, 08:17 AM
it's easier to hate it than to love it. let yourself go. Ask yourself this: Do you want to hate it? if yes, that's your problem.

WEREWOLF
04-15-2006, 08:21 AM

did you like lateralus? Cause it seems this new album will have similarities (riffs) ...although its kind of hard to compare this song to any that came before. It blows Schism out of the water....On first listen i thought the vocals were too low, but after listening to the song about 15-18 times already, its gets better with each listen. As most Tool songs do. You are seriously out of your mind if you think that this song sux. I personally really like the quality and lenght of this first release. Im just happy it leaked...its been far too long since we all heard music this good. AND btw...F8ck messsucka...they blow

layersbeyondimagination
This man does not represent me. But I still don't think the single is as impressive as being made out by many here.

i agree.
ive said it a million times already... ill say it again. i like the song a lot but its not as good as any lateralus track.

Semp
I hate to say it, mainly because he seems to delight in coming on here to wind people up by dissing Tool, but I agree with Dredg. Who, incidentally, do kinda suck. The riffs do feel like they were cut and pasted from previous songs and the lyrics and vocals just scream APC. Which to me isn't so bad, but the song still has the lightness and lack of depth which was fine for APC, but not what I've grown to love Tool for.

Having said that, I think the key to getting into this song is to focus on the aspects that still feel like Tool, and then the stuff that feels wierd and out of place seem more like stylistic augmentations. I'm still a little disappointed though. This just doesn't feel as dark and deep and unusual as their previous stuff. Tis only the single though, and I'm not hugely keen on Schism either, in comparison to their other stuff, so maybe the album will deliver what I'm hoping for.

Valediction
lol, the song rocks so much more than 'Schism' did, and is much more interesting after multiple listens and i come on here and people are saying how 'Schism' is better.

No matter what some people aren't going to like the new stuff, no matter how good it is, it's been like that for EVERY album since undertow if you've been a long time fan. When Aenima came out, undertow fans bitched, "they've lost their sound, it's not as heavy etc etc" about their best album. Then Lateralus was a big move in another direction and everyone was pissed about it not being Aenima II (I admit, it took a long time to digest and appreciate and it's definately not as good as Aenima, no matter what people say, but its got its own special something) Now that we have XMdays, it sounds a hell of a lot better than I thought it would and STILL people aren't happy. I guess that's just the way of things.

jitbox
It sounds a lot like "Handshakes" by Metric.

Oh wait, I'm actually just listening to Handshakes.

Semp
04-15-2006, 08:22 AM

Fucking bastard, nails what I was trying to say, while I was trying to say it.

WEREWOLF
04-15-2006, 08:23 AM
i agree.
ive said it a million times already... ill say it again. i like the song a lot but its not as good as any lateralus track.

nO WAY THE GRUDGE WAS BETTER THAN VICARIOUS...YOUR CRAZY

Semp
04-15-2006, 08:23 AM
... Now that we have XMdays, it sounds a hell of a lot better than I thought it would and STILL people aren't happy. I guess that's just the way of things.

We have Vicarious. Unless the album leaked as well and I totally missed that also.

ATF-34
04-15-2006, 08:26 AM
Can someone please PM me a link? I'm dying here!

Dredg
04-15-2006, 08:27 AM
did you like lateralus? Cause it seems this new album will have similarities (riffs) ...although its kind of hard to compare this song to any that came before. It blows Schism out of the water....On first listen i thought the vocals were too low, but after listening to the song about 15-18 times already, its gets better with each listen. As most Tool songs do. You are seriously out of your mind if you think that this song sux. I personally really like the quality and lenght of this first release. Im just happy it leaked...its been far too long since we all heard music this good. AND btw...F8ck messsucka...they blow

Quite frankly this song could of been accomplished within a 4 minute time span. I think the most important thing as to why this makes this song not good is because Maynard lost his middle eastern melody vocals as with the entire band. This is straight up American style music, which kinda turns me off.

WEREWOLF
04-15-2006, 08:29 AM
lol, the song rocks so much more than 'Schism' did, and is much more interesting after multiple listens and i come on here and people are saying how 'Schism' is better.

No matter what some people aren't going to like the new stuff, no matter how good it is, it's been like that for EVERY album since undertow if you've been a long time fan. When Aenima came out, undertow fans bitched, "they've lost their sound, it's not as heavy etc etc" about their best album. Then Lateralus was a big move in another direction and everyone was pissed about it not being Aenima II (I admit, it took a long time to digest and appreciate and it's definately not as good as Aenima, no matter what people say, but its got its own special something) Now that we have XMdays, it sounds a hell of a lot better than I thought it would and STILL people aren't happy. I guess that's just the way of things.

i totally agree. its like the disturbed song "Just Stop" people just love to B(tch about nonsense. THis song is awesome...and dominates anything played in today's market. We should all bow down and be thankful that TOOL still represents, while other bands go back to the drawing board. People shouldnt forget that this is just a taste of things to come, as theRE is another 70 mins of music to be appreciated. Reading these posts just makes me realize why i hate forums... You just cant make some people happy.

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-15-2006, 08:29 AM
I hate to say it, mainly because he seems to delight in coming on here to wind people up by dissing Tool, but I agree with Dredg. Who, incidentally, do kinda suck. The riffs do feel like they were cut and pasted from previous songs and the lyrics and vocals just scream APC. Which to me isn't so bad, but the song still has the lightness and lack of depth which was fine for APC, but not what I've grown to love Tool for.

Having said that, I think the key to getting into this song is to focus on the aspects that still feel like Tool, and then the stuff that feels wierd and out of place seem more like stylistic augmentations. I'm still a little disappointed though. This just doesn't feel as dark and deep and unusual as their previous stuff. Tis only the single though, and I'm not hugely keen on Schism either, in comparison to their other stuff, so maybe the album will deliver what I'm hoping for.

First single yup. But I'm still blown the fuck away. The lyrics have alot of twists to them too. He seems to have gotten better at playing with words. Or it's just different. It's just evolution. Tool have evolved, it is certainly not devolution. It is different, but not a bad difference. I'm always up for a change of pace myself anyway, personally.

#Notion
04-15-2006, 08:36 AM

Anybody who openly reveals their opinion about thinking that vicarious is all around anywhere remotely close to being superior to schism has misleaded me and all others with IQ's higher than 90 as to how intelligent they really are.

The only reason you pricks really like this song more than any other tool song is cuz its the one stroke you've been waiting to feel on your self-inflated boner you've been building up for the past 4 years. This is radio/down syndrome friendly rehashed wannabe different bullshit. Don't fucking lie.

rakeshuva
04-15-2006, 08:37 AM
...Don't fucking lie.

La-la-la-la-la-LIE!

whatever, i think it's a great song. true, i shouldn't automatically love the song because it's new, but you don't automatically have to dislike songs that you label as "radio friendly".

#Notion
04-15-2006, 08:43 AM
La-la-la-la-la-LIE!

whatever, i think it's a great song. true, i shouldn't automatically love the song because it's new, but you don't automatically have to dislike songs that you label as "radio friendly".

You kidding me?? I had the towel in-hand... I had already started stroking... But then I heard it, and the feeling of trying to like it just felt wrong. I wanted something more, but obviously it wasn't there.

Valediction
04-15-2006, 08:44 AM
Anybody who openly reveals their opinion about thinking that vicarious is all around anywhere remotely close to being superior to schism has misleaded me and all others with IQ's higher than 90 as to how intelligent they really are.

The only reason you pricks really like this song more than any other tool song is cuz its the one stroke you've been waiting to feel on your self-inflated boner you've been building up for the past 4 years. This is radio/down syndrome friendly rehashed wannabe different bullshit. Don't fucking lie.

Right, because by making personal attacks and using big words like 'boner', you show your intelligence quotient. (that's IQ, by the way)

#Notion
04-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Right, because by making personal attacks and using big words like 'boner', you show your intelligence quotient. (that's IQ, by the way)

Yeah I'm over 90. (That's somewhere BELOW genius). gg.

rakeshuva
04-15-2006, 09:00 AM
You kidding me?? I had the towel in-hand... I had already started stroking... But then I heard it, and the feeling of trying to like it just felt wrong. I wanted something more, but obviously it wasn't there.

umm--that's fair, but that's just your opinion. no need to disparage those who like the song. i could easily say "anyone intelligent cannot dislike the song" but that makes no sense. it's all perspective.

anyway i'm glad i don't hate the song. "better you than i."

MentalMidget
04-15-2006, 09:07 AM
This is a great song. The theme of this song hits home because my parents are TV junkies and they have become such dull people. It is an important topic and I am glad Tool made this song the way they did. If you didn't like this song I just want you to know that Tool isnt going to redo it so that you will. So, shut up if you didin't like it because it is inspiring me already and I am happy.

#Notion
04-15-2006, 09:07 AM
umm--that's fair, but that's just your opinion. no need to disparage those who like the song. i could easily say "anyone intelligent cannot dislike the song" but that makes no sense. it's all perspective.

anyway i'm glad i don't hate the song. "better you than i."

Point taken. And yeah, I'ts not fun disliking a song by the only band I feel still produces real music.

rakeshuva
04-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Point taken. And yeah, I'ts not fun disliking a song by the only band I feel still produces real music.

sometimes things grow on you. i wasn't initially a fan of schism, but it turned out to be a cool song (albeit the weakest one on lateralus, IMHO, but that's still sayin somethin).

Madklikor
04-15-2006, 09:21 AM
The worst part about this song is the verse. This is where it sounds like APC. For some reason tool incorporated a traditional verse and back to chorus approach.

It's not like they didn't use verse/chorus on Parabola, Lateralus, Reflection, Schism and almost all of Ænima.
lus it's not a traditionnal verse+chorus, it's more :
Verse
Bridge 1 (second part of main riff)
Main riff
Verse (with the intro riff on guitar this time)
Bridge 1
Chorus
Bridge 2 (danny's fill)
New riff/different verse (blood is flowing)
Chorus.

I'm not fond of verse/chorus structures but that isn't for sure a traditionnal verse and back to chorus approach.

In that song Maynard talks about people being desensitized to events in the world, much like he blatantly does in Vicarious.

I feel it's more about feeding on tragedy than being desensitized, and in that sense it's different from Stinkfist.

Now the breakdown, what is this shit? "Why can't we just admit it" this is a disgrace to all things Meshuggah in which Meshuggah is soooo much deeper sounding and evil.

Maybe this isn't supposed to be evil? Tool is not Math-death-metal (whatever Meshuggah is).

A Tad Bit Catatonic
04-15-2006, 09:25 AM

Took me about 7 listens for it to really come around, now I'm on about 50, and there is just alot to take in. It's a fucking complex and dynamic piece sonic art. Incidentally, I get a whole fucking lot more than just the tv metaphore out of it. If this is any indication, the album is going to nuke us.

y-k=1/4p(x-h)^2
04-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Just to through in 0.02 to jumble around this myriad of opinion...

The people that keep comparing "Vicarious" to Schism, Stinkfist, and Pushit...just go put on Tool's older albums, wallow in your elitist solitude, and ignore that change (and personal influence, yes) is inevitable.

You'll be a lot happier than just sitting here and repeating "this is so much like APC...this isn't 'dark' and 'unusual' like Tool...The solo is exactly the same at this time and this time in this song...rabble rabble...".

Listen to Lateralus or Aenima and ignore 10,000 Days completely. I'm just looking out for what's best for you.

Dick Savage
04-15-2006, 09:38 AM

you don't understand music.

mountain_goat
04-15-2006, 09:44 AM
If you dont like this song, you dont like tool. Period.

absurd.

someone brought up the breakdown...i haven't mentioned that yet, but yeah, this start/stop part sucks.

CalfMan
04-15-2006, 01:15 PM
to say that Vicarious sounds nu-metal is absurd. The reason why I say you dont like tool is the same reason that I hate all of the "yeah! hooker with a penis rocks! Lateralus suxors, Ticks and Leeches was the only hard track" people. Even from the beginning, with Opiate and Undertow, Tool were not about being "hard rock" it has always been about the interplay between the instruments. Adam's riffs are not always the most complicated to play, but the timing and the interweaving between the guitar, bass and drums make it interesting. Case in point: there is a section of Schism were Adam goes into a lead guitar part, and it sounds like the main guitar riff is still going, but if you listen, it is Justin with effects on the bass to sound like the guitar, and the bassline has temporarily dropped out, so everything can shift from the bass heavy section to the lead guitar driven part. That is what impresses me about Vicarious, the drumming is amazing, the places he finds to play small fills are mind boggling, amidst the intricate and tight timing of everything. True there are sections that seems simplistic, and sectoins that seem similar to older tool music, but when Picasso went through his blue period, it would have been easy to say "another mostly blue painting of people, lame" instead of appreciating a truely great, evolving, self-referencing piece of art, which is exactly what Vicarious is to me.

So there, that is my rebuttal.

ProdigyDub
04-15-2006, 01:16 PM

Agreed. Fuck the haters.

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 01:18 PM
this thread has too much dredg (the band) hatred

varg
04-15-2006, 01:19 PM

Wä wä wä wä

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 01:21 PM
i totally agree. its like the disturbed song "Just Stop" people just love to B(tch about nonsense.
respect lost

MentalSanityOff
04-15-2006, 01:27 PM
It's come to my attention that way too many people downloaded Vicarious, listened to it, and said aloud
"Egh. This sounds like... Tool!" And in disguist threw their computers out of their windows.

It resembles some of tools previous songs, because it's the same band, damnit. If you want something completely different, listen to a different band. Don't tell me that aenima doesnt have some threads clinging to undertow, and that lateralus doesnt resemble salival doesnt resemble aenima.
the song is, however, very similar, but keep in mind that some of tools songs sound more like their previous work, and some sound less similar. This song is just more similar to their old sound. that is all

dischordance
04-15-2006, 01:29 PM
It's come to my attention that way too many people downloaded Vicarious, listened to it, and said aloud
"Egh. This sounds like... Tool!" And in disguist threw their computers out of their windows.Best post in this forum so far.

I disagree, though. I listened to it and said aloud:
"Egh. This sounds like... Disturbed gone math!"

I didn't throw my computer out of the window, though, I have way too much porn on this thing for that shit.

Clutch it like an AEnima
04-15-2006, 01:36 PM
This is a great song. The theme of this song hits home because my parents are TV junkies and they have become such dull people. It is an important topic and I am glad Tool made this song the way they did. If you didn't like this song I just want you to know that Tool isnt going to redo it so that you will. So, shut up if you didin't like it because it is inspiring me already and I am happy.
i live 20min from you .........its a great song,isnt it

megadan
04-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Damn... it's Tool's "Hail to the Thief"

Well, it had to end somewhere.

researchtriangle
04-15-2006, 01:41 PM
The funny thing is this song has already been DONE...it is called stinkfist.

that's where i stopped reading your post.

#Notion
04-15-2006, 01:48 PM
I like how the the only thing people that like the song can say is "if you don't like it, you're ignorant"

slicknickshady
04-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Dredg The Band Sucks!

TOOL > Dredg.

dracomordag
04-15-2006, 01:53 PM
incorrect on all counts, slicknick

go listen to evanescence or cold

CalfMan
04-15-2006, 01:54 PM
ok, I'll admit it,
Vicarious = Stinkfist
both say dont be enthralled with media

So tool have for the first time tool repeated a theme, oh wait except for:
ticks & leeches = hooker with a penis:
angry with pretensious fans
Flood = opiate
rise above religious brainwashing
46&2 = Flood
evolve past what you are / climb to higher ground
lateralus = 46&2
spiral out / evolve past what you are
the grudge = eulogy
fuck self-righteous people
parabola = third eye
ride the spiral / experience everything
stinkfist = intolerance
dont be brainwashed
prison sex = pushit
both about abuse / power struggles

And finally
stinkfist = 4 degrees
undertones of anal penetration

So yeah, looks like Tool finally jumped the shark.*

Iccanobif
04-15-2006, 02:00 PM

As far as I'm concerned, this comment completely rendered your credibility void.

MentalSanityOff
04-15-2006, 02:05 PM
So yeah, looks like Tool finally jumped the shark.*
The fact that I know the turn of phrase, and that I even know the Maynard interview the term was used in, makes me feel like the man

facelessDrone
04-15-2006, 02:28 PM
"Egh. This sounds like... Tool!" And in disguist threw their computers out of their windows.

It resembles some of tools previous songs, because it's the same band, damnit. If you want something completely different, listen to a different band. Don't tell me that aenima doesnt have some threads clinging to undertow, and that lateralus doesnt resemble salival doesnt resemble aenima.
the song is, however, very similar, but keep in mind that some of tools songs sound more like their previous work, and some sound less similar. This song is just more similar to their old sound. that is all

God, yes. Does it have to sound nothing like any of Tool's previous work for it to be good? That's what a lot of people seem to be expecting. Just listen to the song for what it is - the first single from the album, which has already been referred to as the most commercial track Tool has ever done. They're the same band that did the other 5 CDs; no matter what the new tracks sound like, if you analyze the shit out of it (like people are doing), you're going to recall previous albums.

People hear what they want to hear. I'm convinced that if "Vicarious" was simply Maynard recording himself slapping his dick against the wall for 7 minutes, some people would still say "OMG IT SOUNDS LIKE (insert Tool song here)!!!"

MentalSanityOff
04-15-2006, 02:42 PM
I'm convinced that if "Vicarious" was simply Maynard recording himself slapping his dick against the wall for 7 minutes, some people would still say "OMG IT SOUNDS LIKE (insert Tool song here)!!!"
Just you wait for Wings for Marie...

Hannibal
04-15-2006, 02:55 PM
i'm not one for comparing past albums. So i don't think its relevant to say "its like this" or "its like that" since Tool are progressive, and that doesn't mean that every single aspect must be progressive. Just by listening to it, I can tell its different then what they've done in the past records. I like it, it's been stuck in my head all day and night. Some may not like it, but the reasons they've given are all in comparison to Tool's previous work, and I don't think that's a fair judgement, seeing as how all of Tool's last works are unique in their own way.

So basically...shut the fuck up about it.

Chris_Brightwell
04-15-2006, 03:08 PM
If you dont like this song, you dont like tool. Period.A new brand of pompous ignorance, folks.