PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Direction

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 06:50 AM
In my next to nothing opinion, TOOL should have done away with the Meshuggah influences and studied what sepultura did with ROOTS. Go semi-acoustic or at the very least find some new instruments, Turn down the volume, and get reacquainted with creative music. Disappointing.

DirtyBanana
04-15-2006, 06:52 AM
In my next to nothing opinion, TOOL should have done away with the Meshuggah influences and studied what sepultura did with ROOTS. Go semi-acoustic or at the very least find some new instruments, Turn down the volume, and get reacquainted with creative music. Disappointing.

First: listen to the whole album.

Second: listen to APC.

Nebel
04-15-2006, 07:09 AM
So you're able to sum up their entire direction with one song? Are you feeling okay?

bass_dude
04-15-2006, 07:11 AM
love the way all these kids seem to have (and studied)the whole new album enough to tell us all how shit it is, and how it all sounds.

If wings truley is prog metal, there will be a good chance of there being some lighter stuff in that.

of course, we don't know, maybe it is a light song with heavy parts.

Stop judging until the album is out.

Alex

justlikeme
04-15-2006, 07:12 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't go judging a whole album on one song that you've head. I personnaly love the new track, I think it's great. But I'm not gonna jump ten miles ahead and think I know what will come with the rest of the album. As for the direction, Tool will go where they want to go. No matter what anybody thinks. It's Tool. They always have, they always will. It's not failed them yet.

Ryan
04-15-2006, 07:12 AM
i don't see why you're worried about negative opinions. it's obviously an outstanding track. if people can't appreciate it, good - we're receiving an outstanding song while sieving out a load of fans without any taste.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:16 AM
I figured that 13th step would suck after one listening to weak and powerless. Schism disappointed me at first but it turned out not to be indicative to the entire album. Perhaps my taste in music has changed as I've aged. I much prefer a good melody and sweet lyrics to this angsty stuff that keeps arriving. Ah well...

bass_dude
04-15-2006, 07:19 AM
I figured that 13th step would suck after one listening to weak and powerless. Schism disappointed me at first but it turned out not to be indicative to the entire album. Perhaps my taste in music has changed as I've aged. I much prefer a good melody and sweet lyrics to this angsty stuff that keeps arriving. Ah well...

i could have sworn that for the last few months they have been saying how this is the style it was going to be like? The whole "pissed off at the world ignoring the lateralus message" or whatever?

Or did you ignore all that?

Alex

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:21 AM
Pissed off at the World? Who are they, the Bush administration?

justlikeme
04-15-2006, 07:23 AM
If you don't like them so much, then why are you bothering. I hate when people whine, expecting it to change things.

Nebel
04-15-2006, 07:23 AM
Shaun, by the reports of the reviews, I wouldn't worry, there are still plenty of lighter, more melodic moments to keep you happy.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:24 AM
I'll bide my time then. and I'm not whining... I'm typing!

justlikeme
04-15-2006, 07:25 AM
whining while typing m'dear ;)
I hope you get something you like on the album

bass_dude
04-15-2006, 07:25 AM
I'll bide my time then. and I'm not whining... I'm typing!

Just a question, do you think you are funny?

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:27 AM
Sometimes yes. But not at the moment. How about you, do you think you are funny?

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:30 AM
Whining.... nay... just stirring things up a bit

FistFck
this song is awesome. i definately do not see why EVERYONE is associating it with schism (the intro)? they sound nothing alike... and frankly... this song is amazing. kabir stated that this song is the closest to the other albums, and it gets progressively more distant from what we know as the album goes on. so if this is representative of what tool became at the end of the last 3 albums, and that the direction they go in is completely new, im fucking excited. im sorry to those that were expecting "death metal maynard" or "undertow part 2".... i dont think thats what this album is about. i think this is tool making music.. for the sake of making music.. and doing what they love. they have enough of an ego, and enough firm standing ground to make whatever the hell they want (i use ego in its positive connotation). if some of you are unsatisfied, then thats your personal taste. but overall, the fact that they are able to make something that they are satisfied with means that they have accomplished what they wanted to as a band, something that makes them happy. and if i were in their shoes, its what i would want. as opposed to making music just to compete for the number one spot on TRL.

justlikeme
How about don't bother.

bass_dude
04-15-2006, 07:31 AM
Sometimes yes. But not at the moment. How about you, do you think you are funny?

i think i'm pissed off with all the whining people on here judging an album by a first track, yet still hanging around because they don't want to miss out. this is probably the most poppy song on there (well, radio friendly, anyway) which woukld make sense, to get them back into the radio and charts, leaving any real gems on the record for only non-fickle fans to find and enjoy.

Alex

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Right fistfck.

Choice Breath
04-15-2006, 07:32 AM
Alert to Tool: Shaun has important information for you. Please consult with him before creating any more music. You are going in the wrong direction, musically. Until further notice, Adam, Maynard, Justin and Danny are to seek Shaun's advice prior to creating and/or recording any new music. He will provide his resume demonstrating his qualifications for his position as your musical advisor shortly.

bass_dude
04-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Right fistfck.

you missed a letter.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:35 AM
Hmm... it goes nowhere somewhere toward the end. Each time i play the song I find myself at that point wandering off to check the kettle or something. There's not a decent hook in it, and as I sit hear typing this, I can't recall any part of it except for the opening bit that reminds me of schism.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:38 AM
ChoiceBreath: At last, someone else out there who sees things my way. I agree with you 100% percent man, except for that part about the qualifications, of which I have none. Thanks for your support.

FistFck
04-15-2006, 07:38 AM
Hmm... it goes nowhere somewhere toward the end. Each time i play the song I find myself at that point wandering off to check the kettle or something. There's not a decent hook in it, and as I sit hear typing this, I can't recall any part of it except for the opening bit that reminds me of schism.

you mean... check the pot.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Unfortunately I'm in a part of the world where that sort of thing is as rare as hen's teeth. If I could check out some pot I probably wouldn't be sitting here typing up this shit.

justlikeme
04-15-2006, 07:46 AM

Since you are so wonderous in the ways of music and are so good at critisizing and knows what makes good tunes. When will we expect your own attempts to be put on the shelves?

What's that? Never, you say.
Hmm.thought not.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:46 AM
Alright McRoggles, I'll do it.

Dredg
04-15-2006, 07:47 AM

They didnt go in the Meshuggah direction, because this sucks compared to Meshuggah. They added their own rock radio twist to it which makes it suck. I wished Tool became less catchy so that moronic fans would leave these boards, but they only became more mainstream...how ironic.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:49 AM
Now, I never said never. Except there. Twice. It just so happens that I bought some castenets today. I have no solid plans to record just yet, but if you'd like to come over to my house I can rig a pair of paper cups with a length of string and we can fiddle around together. You'd like that, wouldn't you?

bass_dude
04-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Now, I never said never. Except there. Twice. It just so happens that I bought some castenets today. I have no solid plans to record just yet, but if you'd like to come over to my house I can rig a pair of paper cups with a length of string and we can fiddle around together. You'd like that, wouldn't you?

I'd personally like you to shut the fuck up.

justlikeme
04-15-2006, 07:53 AM
I can't say I have any desire to fiddle around with you dude, no.

TOOLEK
04-15-2006, 07:54 AM
It's obvious that for the single Tool had to choose a song which is at least a bit radio-friendly. That doesn't mean the album will be in a similar style and won't contain prog-music style. For me it will definitely will. Although I find Vicarious in a Tool-like manner and the song seems like a mix of all the Tool-like elements, I still believe the whole album will be great. Finally this song despite what I said before is really great, and thus I believe in the whole album's success among all the Tool fans.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Now bass_dude I named this forum topic "wrong direction". You should know by now how wrong its gone. But thankyou for your suggestion. I shall be sticking around a tad longer.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 07:55 AM
Right on Toolek. Thanks for contributing to a discussion that I started.

dischordance
04-15-2006, 07:57 AM
I figured that 13th step would suck after one listening to weak and powerless. Schism disappointed me at first but it turned out not to be indicative to the entire album. Perhaps my taste in music has changed as I've aged. I much prefer a good melody and sweet lyrics to this angsty stuff that keeps arriving. Ah well...Umm.. The Thirteenth Step is more melodic than anything Tool ever did.

I do agree with you, though, this song doesn't have much in the way of hooks, isn't memorable, doesn't sound emotional, doesn't have any melodies that appeal to me... I wouldn't be able to hum it, even if I remembered it, which I don't.
Not that that's a bad thing objectively, but it's something I personally find important.
I think it's a pretty rubbish song as a whole, but I'm willing to sit through it if the rest of the album is great.
It just makes me even more uneasy about an album I had reservations about to begin with. It just sounds so uncreative - Tool doing the Tool thing.
2006 has brought a lot of that for me, actually. The new Sonic Youth in particular is so completely redundant that I can't think of a single good reason for it to exist.

dancingflame
04-15-2006, 07:58 AM
to be honest: i think the song is really cool!! but maybe we (I) did expect too much...sounds like pop-music with elements of shism...:) don`t take it to serioulsy...i really like it! but maybe i listened to too much tool...so that almost nothing in this- really good- song surprises me..as some of the older tunes did...maybe too much kraut-rock, square-aphex, marsvolta, apc or whatever during the last years so that i feel kind of familiar with all this twisted stuff....i almost cannot play the guitar straight anymore because of the irregular rhythm-stuff danny got me into...and adam...and god...and bryan adams...blabla..i dont even know what i want to tell you... i could take a bath in this song....better...but the ending is really shism in double speed...blabla...
ok i think i am overwhelmed...afteralll i am glad maynard did not become a grind-core-shouter :)

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 08:00 AM
One good thing about 2006, dischordance, has been the leaked Guns and Roses tracks. There's a really beautiful track Catcher in the Rye. Check it out. Also I sincerely agree with what you've got to say about vicarious.

justlikeme
04-15-2006, 08:00 AM
er..what?!
and it's schsim.

ShaunConnelly
04-15-2006, 08:04 AM
There are too many words in it.