PDA

View Full Version : Schism Riff Similarities?

nickknocker
04-14-2006, 11:47 PM
i dont see how this rips off a riff from schism...the quiet parts have the same sort of timing ...but....it's not really the same at all, just a couple similar notes maybe i'm missing the part eveyrone else is thinking of....someone specify?

dracomordag
04-14-2006, 11:50 PM
tool always writes in Dm, often in a 5-based time, with focus on the pentatonic roll (especially featuring the 7th).

if you just started hearing it in schism... you've been missing a lot.

dracomordag
04-14-2006, 11:54 PM
anyone heard the oceansize song "The Charm Offensive"? Very similar to this track, except a little more ambient. i suggest a listen.

Frances
04-14-2006, 11:54 PM
Schism is in Am.. but this track does sound much like schism as far as guitar work.. which is fucking excellent because that was definitely their shining moment as far as melody.. combine that with a focus on straightforward bitchslap percussion and you have Tool in their prime.. in my opinion..

dracomordag
04-14-2006, 11:55 PM
schism starts in Dm and then alternates into Am and then back and forth between the two.

nickknocker
04-14-2006, 11:58 PM
hrm....well touche

i was sorta overlookign that aspect, mostly cuz that is theyre style sometimes...especially the Dm thing

i guess "similar" and "ripped off" are very different to me ::shrug:: seemed like a lot of people were bringing it up

NoD
04-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Vicarious has parts where it does sound like schism, but never quite reaches the power of it. Tool just tapped into some some special part of their conscious to make schism, the song is so powerful and never gets old.

Foamy
04-15-2006, 02:59 AM
Vicarious is nothing like The Charm Offensive. How did you draw that conclusion? It's in 5/4....and 10/4 I think (correct me if Im wrong) but apart from that I cant see it.

RED_THE_HAT
04-15-2006, 03:07 AM
i dont see how this rips off a riff from schism...the quiet parts have the same sort of timing ...but....it's not really the same at all, just a couple similar notes maybe i'm missing the part eveyrone else is thinking of....someone specify?

For the love of fucking GOD!! PLEASE!!! FOR FUCKS SAKE!!! I am suck to fucking christ of people comparing the new song to every fucking thing that they can.... from Schism, to Aenima, to fucking POD!! This is a new song, it is called Vicarious, it is by Tool, and to me, the only song it sounds like is just that... Vicarious by some band called Tool.

Not that anyone here has said it souds like another song, I am just sick of hearing Vicarous =- Schism = The Grudge = FUCKING POD!!!!!

Rubb.
04-15-2006, 03:11 AM
calm down buddy.

RED_THE_HAT
04-15-2006, 03:14 AM
calm down buddy.

(sobs)Just... hurts... (sobs)so much..... (cries)

Jorge
04-15-2006, 03:19 AM
I busted out my guitar to try and learn vicarious and that "schismish" slower part confuses the shit out of me. It has many notes in common with schism but the timing seems way different to me. Reminds me of when I tried to learn the patient. After a while it just clicked and seemed natural but it didn't come quick.

RED_THE_HAT
04-15-2006, 03:23 AM
I busted out my guitar to try and learn vicarious and that "schismish" slower part confuses the shit out of me. It has many notes in common with schism but the timing seems way different to me. Reminds me of when I tried to learn the patient. After a while it just clicked and seemed natural but it didn't come quick.

Dont tap your foot to it, that will confuse you more. Just memorise it, try and play it, then later when you are more comfortable with it, try and find a rhythm with yur feet.

Foamy
04-15-2006, 03:45 AM
I couldn't even whistle that part.

RED_THE_HAT
04-15-2006, 03:47 AM
As with anything that has a complex rhythm, best thing to do (what I believe) is to try and master it withut thinking what is underneath it. Best way is to try playing Meshuggah, even Sevendust (cough choke) to an extent. Lateralus is a good one to start with.

Navid
04-15-2006, 04:05 AM
Personally, I find much more similarity to the Patient in the opening - and at around the 6.00 mark of Vicarious, I detect a distinct similarity to the Grudge.

But thats just me actively seeking for similarities.

mike09
04-15-2006, 04:23 AM
I don't really hear much similarities at all between "Vicarious" and "Schism". Tool putting triplets at the end of measures isn't a "'Schism' thing", it's a Tool thing. The beginning doesn't really sound much like "The Patient" to me either. That song starts with a clean palm-muted guitar riff and then a bass with wah-wah comes in and repeats 2 lines over and over. Go back and listen to "The Patient" and hear it for yourself. It's not similar to the beginning of "Vicarious". I love this song because it takes a lot of elements from the past albums and combines them together with some new ideas. Remember Kabir's review? He said this was the song on the album that sounded the most like traditional Tool. It's no coincidence that this was chosen to be the first track on the album. It's a way to show where they have been and introduce where they are going next. Am I the only one who thinks the third time they play the chorus in the song, with Maynard singing high up the register, is THE moment to the song. It gives me goosebumps.

tDoXoMl
04-15-2006, 04:58 AM
im telling you guys, it sounds like therd aye...

badshirt
04-15-2006, 05:12 AM
It sounds like Danny's style so who cares?

Its his sound, he's done similar things on Lateralus - it was their last record so I would expect that. Does it sound like Opiate?
Theres a reason it doesn't.

mike09
04-15-2006, 05:15 AM
im telling you guys, it sounds like therd aye...

Yeah, a little bit at times. But the song as a whole sounds nothing like Third Eye.

Some of the parts that Maynard sings sounds like it could be off of Undertow. Atleast, it sounds like that in my opinion.

Idiotica
04-15-2006, 05:22 AM
yeah it's the schism riff played backwards. so what?

toolloot
04-15-2006, 05:23 AM
Yeah, I agree that it sounds a bit Schismy. They clearly want another Grammy.

thejesus
04-15-2006, 05:27 AM
I just listened to both songs, and I guess I could see how people who don't play guitar might think the opening riff to Vicarious resembles bridge in Schism...

The notes and tempo are actually quite different though...

The only thing that's similar is that they are both somewhat 'soft' guitar parts that immediately precede heavier ones...

Is that what you guys are basing this on?

toolloot
04-15-2006, 05:30 AM
Nope. Just sort of reminds me of it for some reason. It's the ending especially.

RED_THE_HAT
04-15-2006, 06:15 AM
I reminds me of a tool song called Vicarious.... That is all it is, all it was inspired by, and all it will ever be.

Montague
04-15-2006, 06:17 AM
it feels similar to a lot of the other riffs, especially the beginning.

Loveboat Captain
04-15-2006, 06:17 AM
whats the pentatonic roll!?

MentalSanityOff
04-15-2006, 06:23 AM
I have no idea what he means pentatonic, but the minor pentatonic scale is 1, 3b, 4, 5, 7b. for A, it is A, C, D, E, G

mon-go-lloyd
04-15-2006, 07:33 AM
Schism is in Am.. but this track does sound much like schism as far as guitar work.. which is fucking excellent because that was definitely their shining moment as far as melody.. combine that with a focus on straightforward bitchslap percussion and you have Tool in their prime.. in my opinion..

Schism is not in Am, it's in Dm. Although the guitars play in Am, the song itself is in Dm. The guitars play the seventh notes in the Dm scale during the verses.

The middle-section, though, is in Am. And the bridges between the verses is also in Am.

Peace

tool25
04-15-2006, 08:06 AM
no idea what am or pm is but i liked schism more than i like vicarious. so i guess i am an AM kinda guy :)